Getting an auditor job.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

Host

How did you get your start doing auditor work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

Reply - Report abuse

Kevin Stokes in Santa Ana, California

88 months ago

I've always been told you should start out at one of the Big 4's. Although, the traveling and hours may be harsh but this is a good way to gain experience.

I've always wondered if some of the traveling hours go down once you get settled in to Auditing? Just curious.

Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Kay in Louisville, Colorado

88 months ago

I am an IT Auditor and after several years of IT doing all kinds of things I made the switch to auditing when SOX came around. For IT, it's not so important to have a financial educational background as it is in Financial Audit. And yes Kevin, the traveling can lessen if you work as an internal auditor or work as a consultant in a larger city that has constant work.

If you are looking at financial audit, a CPA is almost a must-have and experience with a Big4 is preferred. For IT Audit, generally they are looking for someone with a diverse IT background, knowledge of best practices (especially security) and good communication skills. CISA certification is preferred.

patricia cerra in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

66 months ago

looking for work!!!

Bingo in Middleton, Wisconsin

60 months ago

I have an accounting degree and have thought about Auditing. I've been out of school for a while so I think that the Big 4 is out of the question. Other than getting a CPA/CISA what else can I do?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Auditguy in Goodlettsville, Tennessee

29 months ago

I started in state government, jumped over to the insurance industry, now working with the Federal government. I've been doing this for about 6 years. I know they all say go to the Big 4, but that's the beaten path cliche'. There are plenty of opportunities elsewhere. If you want the public accounting experience, I suggest trying a regional or top ten firm...but you work in from anywhere starting as a Staff I entry level with some personality and drive.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.