Show me the money...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (11)

Host

What are typical automotive mechanic salaries? Do some companies pay a lot more for this position than others? What does a top earner make in this field?

What skills should you learn to increase your salary?

Reply - Report abuse

certified auto tech,15yrs.exp. in Williamsport, Pennsylvania

67 months ago

In Williamsport,PA the average pay for an experienced automotive technician is $10.00/hr,usually with no benefits. This is a stark contrast to this website's USD Automotive Mechanics average income poll...$40,000/yr?? Simply not true. Not even close!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

dan in Washington, Pennsylvania

66 months ago

certified auto tech,15yrs.exp. in Williamsport, Pennsylvania said: In Williamsport,PA the average pay for an experienced automotive technician is $10.00/hr,usually with no benefits. This is a stark contrast to this website's USD Automotive Mechanics average income poll...$40,000/yr?? Simply not true. Not even close!

i'll throw my tools away before i work for such low amount

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

BILL in Mission Viejo, California

66 months ago

I make 23.62 an hour. It comes out to 49,000 a year. I am a fleet mechanic and our shop is union. I worked as an auto tech for 10 years in independant shops and got tired of working 6 days a week with no benes, retirement or respect. If You want to stay in this field try to transition to fleet. If You are young and want to have a family You need to have a stable income and ins. for Your family. You wont get any of that working for an independant or dealer. Try working on class 8 trucks and getting in to a union shop. Being a C mechanic, the one who changes oil gets 18.75 in our shop plus full union benefits, just food for thought.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

evilss in Las Vegas, Nevada

63 months ago

if your looking to be a mechanic..DO YOURSELF A FAVOR,HAVE A FRIEND KICK YOU IN THE NUTS REALLY HARD AND THEN FIND A REAL JOB.I WHOULD NEVER RECOMEND GETTING INTO THIS FIELD ....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

AB in Los Angeles, California

60 months ago

go to school and take some ase and then look for job

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

bob johnson in Windsor, New York

56 months ago

Forget it, pick anything else. Think about how many auto techs do you know with a nice house etc... I rest my case.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Will Workforless in Belvedere Tiburon, California

56 months ago

Would a National Union make things better? Is it possible to control our own destiny. Is it possible for automotive technicians to stand united in one organization? Remember UNITED WE STAND AND DIVIDED WE FALL. Automotive Technicians have been divided and falling for three decades.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Rainer in Saint Paul, Minnesota

53 months ago

Typical Mechanic Salaries in the Independent shop are about $10.00/HR + Commission or some type of incentive. If you work in a Dealership and are a Journeyman Tech you may have a Salary Of about $19.00/HR Guarantee + commission, especially if you are union in MN.I worked in an non-union Dealership for 14 years and was drawing $22.50/HR + Commissions My best year was In 2007 where I Grossed $60,000.00 Annually.For the most part If you are looking to become a Mechanic I would either choose a Dealership that is Union or work for a fleet somewhere. Most Independent shops will use you up like a wick and they also will lie their ass off in order to get you to work for them.Once you work for them they will demand one hell of allot of your time weekends etc. for little pay. They are only out for themselves.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

stevenrdl in Charlottesville, Virginia

48 months ago

Go work for yourself

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

minchewdaniel@yahoo.com in Jacksonville, Florida

40 months ago

34 year ase master tech. sold my tools now i work on a tugboat and happy

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.