Which school is best?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

HSTeach in Iowa

70 months ago

Hi! I'm a high school teacher, and I currently have a student that is interested in attending either UTI or MMI to become a motorcycle mechanic. Both schools seem to be highly rated, but the real question is this; Are there jobs in this field, and is it worth the money to attend a program that appears to cost $40,000 for two years? He's highly motivated and is willing to take the debt. (He will get financial aid...) Does it make better financial sense to attend the local community college and take a slightly related program in mechanics? In advance, thank you for your time.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

gmtech08 in Wichita, Kansas

69 months ago

I'm a tech at a local Wichita ks independent shop. I started my career as a ford tech at a small dealer and then went on to work at a general motors dealership. I, like your student looked at UTI as one of my choices and also a community college. I chose the community college because of price. to be honest there is a job for almost any descent well trained tech. The hours of schooling and the investment of at least 30,000 in tooling is a big step. The first 5 years will be his biggest test of will and determantion simply because he will be competing with much more knowledgeable techs for his work orders. Techs are not paid by the hour we are paid by the job so i hope he learns fast and retains his knowledge. In my opinion spending 40,000 on an automotive education would not be worth it. Any good tech will tell you this is not an easy way to make a living. I have worked along side techs that have been through a trade school for 9 months and those that went to those high priced schools and i take the 10,000 dollar trade school education and put it up against what they teach at those high priced schools any day.To answer the Question of money after graduation. Yes it is there for some one who is willing to work for it. I started as a lube tech at $9.00 an hour and 6 years later im making $33.00 a flat rate hour as an Ase certified tech. I have some really good weeks and some bad weeks but thats due to the flat rate pay system. I would suggest he goes and talks with a shop service manager and then with some techs before he decides. Hope this was helpful.

Reply - Report abuse

Teacher in Anamosa, Iowa

69 months ago

Thank you for such a comprehensive reply! The student sat down with the director of mechanics at a large shop and was told exactly what you've said. There were some other mechanics that had $30-40,000 of debt and told him that if they had to do it all over again, they would have gone to a community college. SO, he's now enrolled in the community college (got the last seat) and is thankful for all advice. I will use your information with future students.

Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.