chip keys help me!!

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

Clair S. in Texarkana, Texas

102 months ago

I have a 2004 dodge hemi. I think I am supposed to have chip keys. I lost my last set of keys and the dealership was going to charge like 200. Pop-a-lock would only charge 125. Pop-alock came and looked in his book and said that i did need a chip key. But he said that he would know if i really did or not if he made a regular key and saw if it would start. So he was able to crank it with a regular non-chip key. A friend later told me that i did need a chip key and that since I am using a non-chip key that my engine will lock up. is this true?? please help me

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

cb1221 in lake city, Florida

97 months ago

I also work for Chrysler Corp. and I agree, If the vehicle was equipped with "SKIM or SKREEM" key, it would only start and run for a few seconds at a time and would eventually stop starting alltogether. You would then have to wait an exess of a half hour to restart (even with the correct programmed key). If your vehicle is starting with a basic key blank then you do not have a "chip". Also if you want to verify this call a local Dodge dealership and have them run your VIN to check the build configuration; options list, they can tell you everything that your vehicle is equipped with. hope this was helpfull... Oh, the lock up thing is not true, the key that you use to start your vehicle has nothing to do with your engine locking up. The computer will disable the output to the starter and ASD circuit but would certainly not LOCK UP your engine.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

bryan in Shallotte, North Carolina

94 months ago

actually what would happen is vehicle would start and run about 10 seconds and then shut off do this 3 times and computer would go into theft mode and then vehicle would not crank then until u disconnect battery for 1 hr.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

mlso21 in Scottsdale, Arizona

36 months ago

Bryan is correct... in the majority of vehicles, the security "feature" kicks in once the car runs for about 10-15 seconds - and that's also correct, sometimes there is also a total lockout, anti-theft feature - a friend of mine runs www.chipkeys.com/ - he has some helpful articles and tips on more affordable replacements/remotes - best of luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Nicho200952 in Mountain View, California

13 months ago

I am stuck ..

My car key to my dodge magnum sxt 2006, won't work.

It lock and unlocks but won't turn on my car nor crank it..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.