Show me the money...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

Host

What are typical automotive sales representative salaries? Do some companies pay a lot more for this position than others? What does a top earner make in this field?

What skills should you learn to increase your salary?

Reply - Report abuse

dan petrelli in Fairport, NY

98 months ago

after 2 years of selling cars i can tell you the only skills you need is being a slimeball and sleeping soundly

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Moss Miller in Bronx, New York

86 months ago

You typically get a small base salary, plus a commission based on a percentafe of the gross profit on each unit sold. Since most new cars have a small markup, much bigger commissions are earned on used cars and trucks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

FE MALE in Worcester, Massachusetts

83 months ago

WE AS CARSALES PEOPLE ARE NOT SLIMEBALLS WITH NO HEART WE NEED TO EAT AND PAY BILLS TOO. IT'S YOU THE CONSUMER WHO REFUSES TO BELIEVE TO STOP AT 2 PERCENT OVER INVOICE OVER NEW OR USED. THEN KNOWONE NOT THE SALESPERSON OR THE BUYER WOULD BE OFFENED. BUYING A CAR WOULD BECOMING MORE LIKE BUYING FURNITURE. EASY!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ex male in Buxton, Maine

80 months ago

The reality of being a car salesperson is you spend your day between the hammer and anvil, that is the customer and the manager.The typical customer is terrified they are going to pay to much(justified) and many react to salespeople like a cornered cat. The typical manager is an arm-chair quarterback with a huge ego and butt to match.You are the poor smuck in the middle who has to deliver the bad news to both parties in the transaction and bear their ire.Back and forth, back and forth until the customer wears out or leaves, and if he leaves it is entirely your fault in eyes of the manager, even though you were just the messenger.Is it any wonder the average person going in auto sales lasts only a few months at it.
This is a revolving door profession unless you are a complete moron, then you
a promising future in management.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

chevy_trey in San Antonio, Texas

79 months ago

Host said: What are typical automotive sales representative salaries? Do some companies pay a lot more for this position than others? What does a top earner make in this field?

I Average selling 12-17 cars a month, some are MINI deals which I hate, but overall I make about $60 K a year.

What skills should you learn to increase your salary?

Always have an answer for STUPID questions, make up an answer; its better to be wrong than you look stupid, that took me one day on the lot to figure out!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.