Top automotive service advisor skills needed to get the job.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (12)

Host

What are the top 3 traits or skills every automotive service advisor must have to excel?

Can you suggest any tips or insights to develop your automotive service advisor expertise?

Reply - Report abuse

BombDiggety25 in Alexandria, Louisiana

50 months ago

Host said: What are the top 3 traits or skills every automotive service advisor must have to excel?
(Hixson Ford) Alexandria, LA
Extreme patience with ridiculous customers!
Multi-tasking for sure!
Knowledge of basic automotive mechanics,
& most importantly satisfy all the people around you. (with good surveys or your commission vanishes.)

Can you suggest any tips or insights to develop your automotive service advisor expertise?

remember everything, it's like being a waitress x 10

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

tm toyota in Moncton, New Brunswick

48 months ago

1. Customer service skills - empathy, patience, good listening skills
2. Sales skills - overcoming objections, prioritizing
3. Patience

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Para TU lol in San Diego, California

45 months ago

BombDiggety25 in Alexandria, Louisiana said: remember everything, it's like being a waitress x 10

Learn to not let the manager screw with your pay plan Never sign anything you do not agree with. If you are forced make sure you sign it and write I do not agree with this plan

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Papa in Naples, Florida

44 months ago

As a Service Advisor, you must be willing to accept all of the responsiblity for bad surveys to the dealership. Pay plans of technicians and the parts department are not effected by CSI, but the Service Advisors is. You should happily accept pay cuts and bad surveys because everything is placed on you, irrelavent of what the automotive manufacturer's guidelines are, the quality of the service facility, the quality of management, the quality of repairs,and the quality of the automotive product.

Furthermore, you must accept responsibility for bad surveys when the actual person who brought thier car in does not fill out the survey, and thier husband/wife/other does. You must accept responsibility for a bad survey when your customer does not check top box. For example, with GM products, "COMPLETELY SATISFIED" is the only passing score. In GM's eyes, a "VERY SATISFIED" or "SATISFIED" customer is a bad customer, and the dealership and service consultant must be penalized.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

vwlovins in Jacksonville, Florida

44 months ago

Not necessarily true. It is foolish to think in a survey, that the advisor should happily take a pay cut or a penality for a less than average score on...say, the confortability of the service lounge, or the amount of time the repair took. How is this considered the responsibility of the advisor? its simple, because in most cases...it is not in the hands of the advisor. Can the advisor pay out of his pocket or swing a magic wand that will completely change the service lounge to make it comfortable? Can an advisor rush a computer in the shop when a tech is working on an ecm update on a car and the internet goes down during a the system update? ...i think not. so punishing the advisor for these questions on the survey is completey out in left field.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Ron in Roseville, California

42 months ago

Amen to the CSI comments. Don't forget to include the tech who leaves grease prints on the steering wheel, door trim or carpet. (I was a tech for 14 years, no reason for not cleaning up after yourself). You also have the porter who drives too fast in their car or is rude or leaves his energy drink in their cupholder. The all to famous stereo station changed. How about the rude cashier. All of these factors affect CSI, the one who suffers the most is the advisor. I liked being an advisor, for what the position actually is, but throw in the threats of losing pay by something that is out of my control, who wants to work 60-70 hours a week for that crap.

If they would change the system and make everyones pay predicated on CSI, then I would return tomorrow.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

courtney

29 months ago

I was currently working at hyundai and mazda lost their service advisor. Well, they transferred me there and I have no clue how to do this on my own or know cars in that general matter. Would anyone know where I could find well mazda mech. Work knowledge on these vehicles?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Dplaya in Boca Raton, Florida

28 months ago

Host said: What are the top 3 traits or skills every automotive service advisor must have to excel?

Take control of your customers and do the right thing...according to your payplan.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

LubeFix in Upland, California

4 months ago

Papa in Naples, Florida said: As a Service Advisor, you must be willing to accept all of the responsiblity for bad surveys to the dealership. Pay plans of technicians and the parts department are not effected by CSI, but the Service Advisors is. You should happily accept pay cuts and bad surveys because everything is placed on you, irrelavent of what the automotive manufacturer's guidelines are, the quality of the service facility, the quality of management, the quality of repairs,and the quality of the automotive product.

Furthermore, you must accept responsibility for bad surveys when the actual person who brought thier car in does not fill out the survey, and thier husband/wife/other does. You must accept responsibility for a bad survey when your customer does not check top box. For example, with GM products, "COMPLETELY SATISFIED" is the only passing score. In GM's eyes, a "VERY SATISFIED" or "SATISFIED" customer is a bad customer, and the dealership and service consultant must be penalized.

Don't Forget to add, If a customer wants something for free, say a Loaner, or Repair, or Hotel Room, and the Management/Dealer Principal say's "NO", that the adviser take responsibility for the crap survey, and Loss in Pay for the Management/Dealer Principal decision. If anyone in the Dealer Pisses off the Customer, and the advisor cannot convince the Customer to give a good survey, Penalize the advisor for the Staff's Crappy Service.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

4 months ago

Ron in Roseville, California said: Amen to the CSI comments. Don't forget to include the tech who leaves grease prints on the steering wheel, door trim or carpet. (I was a tech for 14 years, no reason for not cleaning up after yourself). You also have the porter who drives too fast in their car or is rude or leaves his energy drink in their cupholder. The all to famous stereo station changed. How about the rude cashier . All of these factors affect CSI, the one who suffers the most is the advisor. I liked being an advisor, for what the position actually is, but throw in the threats of losing pay by something that is out of my control, who wants to work 60-70 hours a week for that crap.

If they would change the system and make everyones pay predicated on CSI, then I would return tomorrow.

Don't Forget to add, If a customer wants something for free, say a Loaner, or Repair, or Hotel Room, and the Management/Dealer Principal say's "NO", that the adviser take responsibility for the crap survey, and Loss in Pay for the Management/Dealer Principal decision. If anyone in the Dealer Pisses off the Customer, and the advisor cannot convince the Customer to give a good survey, Penalize the advisor for the Staff's Crappy Service.

4 months ago

I have been in this business for 35+ years, and have never seen so much riding on the Advisor, as there is today. We are responsible for bad techs, Car wash, Customer snacks, Dealer appearance (everywhere in the dealer), Prices for service and repairs, Goodwill, and overall attitude of the service Department and sales Staff. So, If a customer wants something for free, say a Loaner, or Repair, or Hotel Room, and the Management/Dealer Principal say's "NO", that the adviser take responsibility for the crap survey, and Loss in Pay for the Management/Dealer Principal decision. If anyone in the Dealer Pisses off the Customer, and the advisor cannot convince the Customer to give a good survey, penalize the advisor for the Staff's Crappy Service. If a Customer Believes they have something coming, and they don't get it, make sure the advisor is ready for the "retaliation" survey that will ensue. I do not Advise anyone to be an Service Advisor as long as J.D. efffing Powers has control of this Industry... GOOD LUCK ADVISORS!!!

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.