What are the best automotive service advisor qualifications and training to get ahead?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

Host

What is the best training for becoming an automotive service advisor? What types of ongoing training or certifications are necessary to be an effective automotive service advisor?

What do non-traditional career paths look like?

Reply - Report abuse

Alan Cohen in Los Angeles, California

71 months ago

The best training someone can get for being a service adviser is from the inside.
How would they like to be treated when they are receiving service. Look at some of the ways people have treated you. Did you like it or did it make you angry. Remember the good things, but don't forget the bad.

Being empathic is one of the best traits a service adviser can have. Feel what the customer is feeling. If they have a complaint that sounds crazy to you, don't blow it off. Listen to them and try to figure out what they are trying to tell you. Remember, they are not the professional, you are.

I'll give you an example. Many years back, I worked in a GMC, Pontiac, Buick store, I had an older gentleman who complained that whenever he got off the freeway and pressed on his brake, his car accelerated instead of braking. I had technicians take his car out and found no problems. I test drove it myself and found not problems. It wasn't until I drove with him that I noticed that he turned on the cruise control when he used his turn signals that I figured out what the problem was. Turning the cruise off fixed this problem. This is what I'm talking about.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Su Barwain in San Diego, California

43 months ago

Host said: What is the best training for becoming an automotive service advisor? What types of ongoing training or certifications are necessary to be an effective automotive service advisor?

What do non-traditional career paths look like?

Have you ever visited a Service center well i would visit one a stay around for a while observe that is the best way and just say your just waiting never say you r thinking of a job in this field just observe how ths whole process works from the parts the service advisors the cashiers notice how they get along with each other. They best way to do this job with expertise is by being a mechanic first or knowledge. Then how to calm a mad customer down and have them in the palm of your hands

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

tm toyota in Moncton, New Brunswick

43 months ago

Empathy
ability to prioritize based on the customers needs
friendly
confident
knowledgeable
intelligent
organized

As a service manager looking for a good long term service manager. These are the traits I look for.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.