What are typical automotive service advisor salaries?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (16)

Host

Do some companies pay a lot more for this position than others? What does a top earner make in this field?

What skills should you learn to increase your salary?

Reply - Report abuse

Alan Cohen in Los Angeles, California

72 months ago

The pay scale is different everywhere you go. Most dealerships used to pay a percentage of parts and labor based on what you sold. When I was at the top of my field I was earning $110,000 per year at a BMW dealer.
Today dealers are not paying the same percentage as before. They pay you a percentage based on your CSI scores. The higher the CSI score, the higher the percentage you make. I know of one family owned dealership service department that pays up to 6% commission on parts and labor depending on the amount of sales you have.
It is possible to make $10,000 to $12,000 a month as an adviser, but that is rare.

The skills needed are knowledge of the product and of mechanics in general. The more you understand and get to know your customers, the more they will trust you and buy from you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (77) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

Iamaformeremployee in Jacksonville, Florida

62 months ago

Sad part is when the CSI scores come in even if the BAD score is for sales or another dept within the dealership the service writer takes the fall and gets paid less. Doesn't matter if someone gives us a 100% happy if they give a bad score anywhere on there, we pay for it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (49) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

LAAutoAl in Los Angeles, California

62 months ago

It is very unfortunate that corporate America that runs the dealerships can not make people who cause the bad CSI scores be make accountable for what they do. I myself ran into this situation at a large corporate dealer and quit being a service advisor because of it.

If the service advisor is the reason for the bad CSI scores then need to be held accountable. So does everybody else.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

TechWife in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

56 months ago

My husband has been an advisor/writer for almost 15 years, 5 years as a tech but a complete motor head. When he was a writer for Toyota he averaged about $80,000 a year, however with management games, he lost that job and now works for a Ford Dealership maybe making $40,000 a year. He is now looking at going back to being a tech because he can make more money, however, he has a medical condition that forced him from a tech to an advisor. He always has high CSI scores and follows by the books, but the business is a crappy business to be in. CUT THROAT. I wouldn't advise any to go into it.

He has always said that CSI scores should be on his techs and himself, not the entire dealership, that's their way of not paying. I hate this business!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (64) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

Rchull69 in Simi Valley, California

42 months ago

I wrote service for a Dodge dealer 10 years ago, and was clearing an avg of $120,000 a year. If you are straight up honest with ALL your customers and friendly, do not strong arm them ever, and have a general knowledge of the mechanics of a vehicle, it can still be done today, regardless of CSI, as the CSI will come naturally. I've finally worked my way up to becoming a BMW Service Advisor, and it's about to pay off, I am going to die at this dealership, never gonna go elsewhere!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (57) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

Para TU lol in San Diego, California

41 months ago

mbtech in freehold, New Jersey said: would like to know more about average salaries for all automakers.im would like to get off the tech line sometime soon. any info would be great

I would advise that you talk to the advisors to see what they are really getting because you could have a Mananger say all those sweet words only to change the pay plan. Oh just don't go to certain place in CA they pay min wage yes for service writers. Many manangers who are greedy never last.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

discouraged in Ashtabula, Ohio

41 months ago

This job was good years ago, but the cars aren't breaking or needing
maintenance like they used to. All the "grease monkey" corner shops
are getting what little is left, cause nowadays, a monkey is all you need
to change oil and rotate tires. Don't need a "salesman" to sell that
simple stuff either. Result:wages taking a nosedive. I don't recommend
this field unless you like working for low wages, long hours and excessive
pressure from many places to sell "dealer recommended" services. Between
that and "bully" techs, this is a pretty thankless job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (22) Reply - Report abuse

seriously? in Rutland, Vermont

32 months ago

Doing what I love to do, writing service. Brought into a "team" accepted a low percentage, less than 3. for total sales. What do you think? First check, draw?, second percentage plus once again, draw? 10 years writing, wow. The percentage would be acceptable if was as proposed, "total sales", the pay as written and stated is open to interpretation ie... "total sales", "total individual sales", although individual is never mentioned. Big meeting coming up and I would love to here from others how your pay is structured at your dealership. would love some responses over the this weekend, Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Rch69

32 months ago

I work for BMW, and our pay plan is no base pay, 8% of gross profit of the labor from cp, warr and internal ro's written, 7.5% of gross profit of the parts sold cp, warr and internal ro's.

Level 1 bonus: cp labor gross profit is 25k or above, receive an additional .5% of combined parts and labor gross.
Level 2 bonus: cp labor gross profit is 30k or above, receive an additional .5% of combined parts and labor gross.

I wrote 170k+ last month, had $30,460 gross profit cp labor = $8486.00 gross pay for month in a nutshell.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (54) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

tony in Boynton Beach, Florida

31 months ago

Rch69 said: I work for BMW, and our pay plan is no base pay, 8% of gross profit of the labor from cp, warr and internal ro's written, 7.5% of gross profit of the parts sold cp, warr and internal ro's.

Level 1 bonus: cp labor gross profit is 25k or above, receive an additional .5% of combined parts and labor gross.
Level 2 bonus: cp labor gross profit is 30k or above, receive an additional .5% of combined parts and labor gross.

I wrote 170k+ last month, had $30,460 gross profit cp labor = $8486.00 gross pay for month in a nutshell.

rch, What is the salary for a Field Advisor? Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

BMW PRO in Burbank, California

28 months ago

I worked as a service manager in one of the top tire company and have 15 years of experiance from mechanic electrical tire sales and service sales , I tring to get into a dealer where ever I applied I got the same immpretion that since I don't have dealership experiance I'm not been accepted to get the job what I need to do to bypass that barrier ...! thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

sw1975 in Raleigh, North Carolina

28 months ago

What is a typical automotive service advisor salary in NC. Considering a career change and been told to check out this for my next career....Any Advise from current people in the field?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

Marcus in Portsmouth, United Kingdom

27 months ago

Hi there,

I'm currently working for Mercedes Benz in the UK, what would you say is a typical salary working for a prestige brand like BMW, Mercedes, etc? ...I guess it varies considerably state to state, I'm looking at Florida area...

Thanks for reading!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Kjbord in Marrero, Louisiana

14 months ago

I would say that I have read a lot of your comments. I was a service adviser for 3 different companies/car brands. The pay plan varies from dealer to dealer. when I started my pay was 2k or 2% of gross profit. Then I worked my way up to 3k a month or 5% across the board with a .5% bonus across the board for meeting or exceeding the District average and an extra .5% for beating the National average. The next company was 5% P&L CP and W, I was 3% with a 4k a month base. The csi bonus there was a flat 500.00. The last company was 5% P&L CP and W and 4% Int, base pay of 4k, csi bonus 500 for each car line (2 different lines). Average per year Was right around 50k with the exception of the 1st it was 32k. I was in the business for 13 years. Had to leave due to a bad back, couldn't stand, twist, bend in the cars any longer. I do miss it!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

LubeFix in Upland, California

22 days ago

Rchull69 in Simi Valley, California said: I wrote service for a Dodge dealer 10 years ago, and was clearing an avg of $120,000 a year. If you are straight up honest with ALL your customers and friendly, do not strong arm them ever, and have a general knowledge of the mechanics of a vehicle, it can still be done today, regardless of CSI, as the CSI will come naturally. I've finally worked my way up to becoming a BMW Service Advisor, and it's about to pay off, I am going to die at this dealership, never gonna go elsewhere!!!!

Different game Today @Rchull69 in Simi Valley, California

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.