Frst Time Bank Teller. help. THanks

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (9)

Escape12 in Lexington, Massachusetts

91 months ago

I am a semester 2 freshman in college and a accounting major. I tried getting a internship at a CPA firm that a family friend knows, but he said he is willing to give me a internship later, but right now he can’t as I do not know anything about accounting as I am still trying to get my General Education classes in college. I would like to get a job as a teller for now. I would like to know how to apply what to where and what they will ask me? Also I have never had job before therefore, I don’t have a resume. Would it be ok if I told the bank I am willing not to be paid while I train so they can also evaluate me? As I don’t have any problems with many or stuff I am a silver spoon kid :). This is serious part-time job I would like for the next two years. It is also in my field to an extent. Also not trying to be sexist, I am an 18 year old male fyi athletic figure do they hire males? I have honestly never seen a male teller.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

meowmeow mrrrrrr in Minneapolis, Minnesota

85 months ago

Marie in Scarborough, Ontario said: Bank teller jobs are not specifically targeted to any particular sex. They're just best for people with good people skills. So if you can talk nicely and you are detail oriented, that's all that really matters.

That's not the only thing that matters, what really matters is how good of an actor you are during the interview. You might lack any of these skills, but if you can fake into having them and tell nice stories about having them, you're in. well, major sucking up to the bank is obviously also necessary

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

C Ann in San Antonio, Texas

71 months ago

Escape12 in Lexington, Massachusetts said: I am a semester 2 freshman in college and a accounting major. I tried getting a internship at a CPA firm that a family friend knows, but he said he is willing to give me a internship later, but right now he can’t as I do not know anything about accounting as I am still trying to get my General Education classes in college. I would like to get a job as a teller for now. I would like to know how to apply what to where and what they will ask me? Also I have never had job before therefore, I don’t have a resume. Would it be ok if I told the bank I am willing not to be paid while I train so they can also evaluate me? As I don’t have any problems with many or stuff I am a silver spoon kid :). This is serious part-time job I would like for the next two years. It is also in my field to an extent. Also not trying to be sexist, I am an 18 year old male fyi athletic figure do they hire males? I have honestly never seen a male teller.

First of all, it's illegal for them not to pay you for training. So, don't even ask.

Second, they wouldn't train you if they were evaluating you to be hired. You would be hired in order to be trained. Also, it helps but is NOT ALWAYS necessary to have some cash handling experience first (dept stores/retail, etc). Yes, they do hire male tellers, but be sure to come to the interview wearing nice [PRESSED] slacks with a button-up shirt and a tie. Wear something red to catch some extra attention ;)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

leo in Spring, Texas

68 months ago

Regarding male Tellers, and hair length. Would it be presentable if they pulled it slick back in a rubber band?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

flg8r in Gainesville, Florida

63 months ago

Laura in Washington, New Jersey said: Women are not allowed to wear open toed shoes as a bank teller. Some branches may allow this though but as a whole, they do not allow it.

This is not true. Some dress codes at certain banks allow open-toed shoes, such as a sandal heel or a wedge. However, flip flops are absolutely not allowed. I think it just depends on the bank and maybe the state.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Casey in Gresham, Oregon

49 months ago

I am a bank teller, and have working in banking for the past 5 years. There are no sleeveless shirts, visible tattos, flip flops of any nature..but yes, I have worked for 2 different companies that have allowed open toed shoes. That does not mean flip flops, they need to be dress shoes.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Stephanie in Gibsonton, Florida

48 months ago

If you have long hair, is it suitable to have it in a neat ponytail or do I have to have it pulled partially back (I have no bangs)away from my face?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

laura in New York, New York

48 months ago

Why would you need to wear your hair back at all? Your not working for a food place haha.

Anyways the answer is no u don't need to have ur hair in any type of ponytail or away from ur face. This was the case for every bank in my area. Men are the ones who had to keep their hair or facial hair looking decent.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Stephanie in Gibsonton, Florida

48 months ago

I have long hair and I need it out of my face and off my neck, that's all. It's very thick and I could probably put it in a cute bun..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.