Hiring Process at Chase Bank

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (26)

brittm27 in Woodland Hills, California

22 months ago

I applied online using the chase careers section. A few days later I got a call (that I missed) from a chase recruiter saying to call them back. I called them back minutes after and they did not answer and I left a voice mail. I called back an hour later and still no answer so I left another voice mail. I still received no contact after a few days so I decided to try one more time and she picked up. I had a mini interview over the phone (What do bank tellers do, how much do you expect to make, ect ect) and she said she would send my resume to the branch manager. The same day (about 2 hours later) I received a phone call from the branch manager asking me to come in for an interview that day (or 4 days later but I took the sooner rather than later). Make sure you dress professionally and look nice. During the interview with the branch manager they asked things such as, "Name a time when you had to deal with an angry customer and how did you deal with them" "Name a time when you practiced team work" "On a scale of 1 to 10 what is your interest level" "What does customer service mean to you" and things like that. After that was finished we parted ways and when I got home I realized no one mentioned when someone would be in contact with me. 3 days later I got a phone call from the branch manager and said that the district manager would like to meet with me in 2 days and I did so. That interview she asked, "Why do I want to be a bank teller" and a few other questions, and basically just explained the job duties and all of that stuff. I would definitely familiarize yourself with their products and services. I made sure I knew a bit about each checking account option, which some how I squeezed a small tid bit about one of their accounts in the interview and that seemed to impress them. I will hear from them in 2 days, and then I will update what happens after that if I get hired. (Which I hope I do). Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (74) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

bmorris1427 in Woodland Hills, California

21 months ago

UPDATE: I got the job!! A recruiter called me and set me up with this guy who told me everything I needed to do (drug test within two days, made a fingerprinting and I9 appointment) and gave me my log in info at the new hire portal where I filled out my personal info and how I wanted to get my checks. I start Nov 26th and will be making $12.00 an hour. Woo hoo! Ill update later with the training process as well. Have a great day!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (46) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

bmorris1427 in Woodland Hills, California

21 months ago

Noman in Brooklyn, New York said: Hi, Thanks for the useful information. Could you also explain about the number of years of experience a person must have prior to applying for teller jobs? Because i have worked in a Retail chain store where cash handling/customer service was involved.
Will appreciate your feedback. Thanks

I have 7 years of experience with cash handling. I think it is the cash handling experience that is the most important (also customer service experience, but usually if you have cash handling experience you will have customer service experience too). They ask you how much you have handled on a daily basis in the interview as well. I worked as a receptionist at H&R block for three years and Hallmark for 4 years, so I have plenty of cash handling experience. They also ask if you were responsible for your own drawer (balancing the register that you were only on) and I dont think that it is necessary to have balanced your own drawer, but I think that helps as well (I balanced my drawer as well as others at hallmark). Long story short, as long as you have cash handling experience, I think that is all you need.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No Reply - Report abuse

kayykayy in Artesia, California

11 months ago

hello! two weeks ago i had an interview with the branch manager and assistant branch manager of my local chase bank .. long story short, at the end of the interview the manager asked me what days i was available to work and if i was familiar with banking hours, he also gave me his business card just in case i wanted to call them back he also mentioned that the process was going to take two weeks.... so two weeks have passed and still no call so i decided to call them and ask about my application. i spoke to the manager once again and he said that they're still in the process of interviewing other candidates , and that if anything were to happen that i would get contacted by himself , a recruiter , or an office assistant.. he didnt give me a time frame of this whole new process,, so what should i do!?? is this a good or bad thing? >.<

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

mash in Tacoma, Washington

11 months ago

In response to Kayykayy,

I've worked for Chase for years. The hiring process goes like this:
The branch posts a position, the recruiter reaches out to and screens candidates, any applications of candidates that meet the necessary criteria are sent to the hiring manager and the hiring manager will call and interview ALL of them.

It isn't necessarily a bad thing that you haven't been contacted yet. They could be hiring for multiple positions even if only two were posted. Generally, they will have you interview with the District Manager as well since teller retention is a big focus right now so they could be making you wait because that person is very busy.

It took so long for me to hear back after my initial interview that I forgot all about it, so don't give up hope. The only thing I will say is I've seen many teller positions get posted, many people get interviewed, and then they end up going with an internal transfer. This is very common.

Was it a 20 or 40 hr position?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

11 months ago

well when i first applied i didnt get a call from a recruiter, i directly got the call from the branch manager.. what do you mean by internal transfer?
this is a part time teller position so im guessing 20 hrs ,
should i call back any time soon? what did you do when you were in this position?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Mash in Tacoma, Washington

11 months ago

By internal transfer I mean a teller transfers from one branch to another because they're moving or some other personal reasons. Because they wouldn't have to train the transfer they almost always go with them.

This may be irrelevant in your situation. Don't call again. They know you're interested (I hope when they asked you to rate your interest in the position from 1-10 in your interview you said 10) the process may just be slower than expected.

I didn't reach out to them, I just let them contact you.

How did you feel the interview went?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

11 months ago

Contact me, I meant.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

11 months ago

The interview went well, at least in my opinion, we all got a long pretty well..the interview was for about 35- 40 min, they asked me my school schedule, if i was familiar with banking hours, gave me their business card,
the only thing is that the one that was asking mostly all the questions was the assistant branch manager.. not the branch manager im not quite too sure why?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

11 months ago

All of those are standard with every applicant. They want to know if you'll be available when they need you and they always hand out a business card.

The fact it took so long sounds good though. Did you stress how important customer satisfaction is?

And the way Chase does things is, while the Branch Manager is the manager of everyone, they primarily focus on the bankers. The Assistant Manager is in charge of the tellers and they report directly to the ABM instead of the BM.

11 months ago

oh okay, and yes, that was the main thing that we talked about throughout the whole interview, i did stress that my main goal was to make sure the customer left happy etc...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

11 months ago

I hope it works out for you!

If for some reason it doesn't, don't let it discourage you. Keep applying. I've had tellers that had to apply to multiple branches before getting a position, not because they didn't do well but because of circumstances out of their control.

If you decide to look around at other banks, go the credit union route. They pay better. Just do not apply for Bank of America or Wells Fargo. They have referral goals that will stress out even the best sales people and if you do not meet your quota you can be fired.

Good luck :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

mariaE

11 months ago

About 10 days ago I applied to Chase for teller position and today I got an email saying I was not selected... I passed the assessment test, I have customer service exp, also exp handling cash. So I don't know what they're looking for. Anyways, I will keep applying to other branches and banks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

11 months ago

I havent received one of those emails, thankfully! and its been about 2 weeks and a half since ive had the interview >.<

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

d0n in Reseda, California

10 months ago

Hi, I am here to share my experience so far for the Teller position at Chase and to ask a question.
First I did the online application, pre-screening, then I received a phone call to see whether I am still interested, a few hours later a phone call from the Assistant Branch Manager to schedule the interview for the next day.

Today I had the interview and it went well I would say. The interviewer was pleasant yet professional. He asked questions about - a product I sold, cash handling experience, dealing with a difficult customer, what I consider good customer service and a few other simple questions.

HE said I will be called next week whether there will be a second interview, this time with the Branch Manager.

My question is: What can I expect to be asked at the second interview with the Branch Manager? What kind of questions do they ask there?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

hoopergirl in La Vernia, Texas

6 months ago

When they say part time do they really give you part time or hours or could you get more? Does anybody know?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Mash in Gig Harbor, Washington

6 months ago

They mean 20 hours. If someone quits or they get an increase in FTE because of profits they may give you more hours but it's not always the case.

ccece in Chicago, Illinois

3 months ago

mash in Tacoma, Washington said: In response to Kayykayy,

I've worked for Chase for years. The hiring process goes like this:
The branch posts a position, the recruiter reaches out to and screens candidates, any applications of candidates that meet the necessary criteria are sent to the hiring manager and the hiring manager will call and interview ALL of them.

It isn't necessarily a bad thing that you haven't been contacted yet. They could be hiring for multiple positions even if only two were posted. Generally, they will have you interview with the District Manager as well since teller retention is a big focus right now so they could be making you wait because that person is very busy.

It took so long for me to hear back after my initial interview that I forgot all about it, so don't give up hope. The only thing I will say is I've seen many teller positions get posted, many people get interviewed, and then they end up going with an internal transfer. This is very common.

Was it a 20 or 40 hr position?

do tellers have a quota to make??

3 months ago

ccece in Chicago, Illinois said: do tellers have a quota to make??

No! They care a lot about the customer experience so customer service is very important. They do not have quotas, although they will encourage you to refer products to bankers. That's why Chase is much better than some other big banks.

3 months ago

CAB in Fort Lauderdale, Florida said: I had an interview with a branch manager , and a few hours later received an email saying I was not selected to be interviewed does that mean I did not get the job or could it be a mistake ?

Did you apply to any other positions?

It could be from a different position...

ilovecrapes

2 months ago

Interview process vary depends on financial institutions and how big the companies are. I worked for KeyBank for several years and man they took forever! I have applied for positions at Chase and it's taking forever (not that I didn't expect that!). Maybe someone can give me some kind of feedback. I applied for the operation position in my area here in WA and received a call from recruiter a few days later for screening. Then, received a call from a branch manager in different area regarding to my application and I went in for an interview. I was never interviewed by the manager at the branch I applied for. It has been a week since I had an interview and my application still says that I'm under consideration. I have never experience this type of interview, is this normal in some areas??

mash in Issaquah, Washington

2 months ago

Sounds like the first branch liked you but went with someone else who better fits their needs but passed on your information to another branch that is hiring. That's a good sign!

ilovecrapes in California

2 months ago

The manager stated that he had a few more applicants to interview and it has been a little over a week now since the interview. I hope I will get this position but this whole waiting process is nerve wracking.

Mnewton891 in Houston, Texas

1 month ago

bmorris1427 in Woodland Hills, California said: UPDATE: I got the job!! A recruiter called me and set me up with this guy who told me everything I needed to do (drug test within two days, made a fingerprinting and I9 appointment) and gave me my log in info at the new hire portal where I filled out my personal info and how I wanted to get my checks. I start Nov 26th and will be making $12.00 an hour. Woo hoo! Ill update later with the training process as well. Have a great day!

I applied and haven't heard anything. It will be a week tomorrow and I felt like the interview went well. I'm just not sure is this good or bad, should I wait or just call or what??please help

Nichole.G in Hesperia, California

14 days ago

If I do not get the position as a bank teller does someone call me or email telling me the position has been filled or should I still be waitin to hear from them after 4 days from the interview.

Ruby Slippers in Las Vegas, Nevada

14 days ago

Nichole.G in Hesperia, California said: If I do not get the position as a bank teller does someone call me or email telling me the position has been filled or should I still be waitin to hear from them after 4 days from the interview.

Too soon. Give it 30 days. If you haven't heard back by then, move on. Right now, keep applying and keep interviewing elsewhere.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.