Tips for getting Referrals

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

dragonwalker in Woodland Hills, California

53 months ago

Hi everyone,

I've just started working at Citibank as a new teller for the last few weeks but up till now I have mostly been observing tellers and occasionally practicing on customers when the branch isn't busy. I really want to shine when it comes to referrals so I can get promoted to become a banker.

I want to know so tips I should follow or consider to get those referrals rolling in. My branch minimum goal is 2 per day which is pretty tough but I think I can do it but more help would be great.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (41) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

JackieP-3 in Tucson, Arizona

36 months ago

dragonwalker in Woodland Hills, California said: Hi everyone,

I've just started working at Citibank as a new teller for the last few weeks but up till now I have mostly been observing tellers and occasionally practicing on customers when the branch isn't busy. I really want to shine when it comes to referrals so I can get promoted to become a banker.

I want to know so tips I should follow or consider to get those referrals rolling in. My branch minimum goal is 2 per day which is pretty tough but I think I can do it but more help would be great.

Hi I got hired at Chase and I start in a week and like you I am really nervous on referrals since my manager told me he has three of the best tellers in the district. What tips can you give me for a beginner?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

dragonwalker in Canoga Park, California

36 months ago

One thing that I have learned in all this time since I started is being consistent. I really think this is one of the most important ingredients here. This means that you have to treat every customer as an opportunity to find a banking solution for them. At Citibank, we use our system to profile customers to determine what it is that we can help them with. For instance, at Citibank we have easy ways of determining if a client has been paying monthly service charges, we use this as a way to introduce them to a personal banker who might sell them on other products. This is a great way to get other people in the bank to work for you. A lot of times it’s just about getting Butts in the chairs of the PBs…because as much as you want to meet referral goals, the personal bankers want it more if only because they are under that much more pressure.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

dragonwalker in Canoga Park, California

36 months ago

Honestly, I had no banking experience before I started either and I am able to meet my sales goals by being consistent. The examples you brought up are correct but remember the behind the scenes checking and evaluating a consumer account to try and address a specific need. I am sure they will teach you this at Chase or any bank but it's true that if you present a product supported by a way the customer can use it for them, your delievery becomes much more effective. For example, when I look at a customer's profile, I can see their transactions. Let's say I see someone use there debit card a lot for purchases yet I don't see a credit card. At Citibank you no longer earn any rewards for purchases on your debit card. However, we do have a free credit card that earns you rewards on every purchase you make. That's the idea. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No Reply - Report abuse

JackieP-3

36 months ago

dragonwalker in Canoga Park, California said: Honestly, I had no banking experience before I started either and I am able to meet my sales goals by being consistent. The examples you brought up are correct but remember the behind the scenes checking and evaluating a consumer account to try and address a specific need. I am sure they will teach you this at Chase or any bank but it's true that if you present a product supported by a way the customer can use it for them, your delievery becomes much more effective. For example, when I look at a customer's profile, I can see their transactions. Let's say I see someone use there debit card a lot for purchases yet I don't see a credit card. At Citibank you no longer earn any rewards for purchases on your debit card. However, we do have a free credit card that earns you rewards on every purchase you make. That's the idea. Good luck!

Thank you so much!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.