Do bartenders get too old?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 88 of 88)
Page:  « Previous   1  2   

sara in Fort Myers, Florida

52 months ago

Hello, Fatimah I am not so sure what you would like to know? Do you want to ask some questions? I am sure someone would be happy to help answer you. Take care, Sara

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Donna in Penn Valley, California

52 months ago

Thanks for your concern Sara. No worries. I have been ready to get out of my child care business for sometime now. I have a lawyer for a boyfriend and he is going to put a roof over my head until I find a new job for myself. I am debt free,with money in the bank. It is all good.

donna

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Bob in Los Angeles, California

51 months ago

Here is a short article that answers your question.
www.freebartendingtips.com/2010/06/can-bartenders-become-to-old.html

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Steven in Princeton, New Jersey

51 months ago

Hello fellow bartenders and mixologists. We’ve just redesigned the bartender lounge web site and want to get your thoughts on the new platform. Click the link below to visit the new site, or got to bartenderlounge.com

www.bartenderlounge.com/join.html?sID=42

walterwinchester@homail.com

49 months ago

Charlie in New Port Richey, Florida said: I have tended bar all my life. Beginning at 21 in Atlanta GA I have been bartending up till about 6 years ago when I embarked on a career appraising and inspecting residential housing. Needless to say, with the economy the way it is I am in need of additional income. For the first time in my life I am bein denied employment. They don't give you any reason, they just don't call back. I recently turned 50 but I have managed to stay in good shape. Is my age really keeping from getting behind the bar? Have any of you had similar experiences?
charlie I started bartending when I was in the air force that was 33 years ago and i still like doing it . Iam 68 and yes there are people and places that think were are to old they wont say that because that would be discrimination so they say that you do not meet their requirements when we know that not true because we not only meet their requirement but most of the more than meet their requirements. yes it does upset me because there are a lot of us out there that would provide experience that would be beneficial for any business.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

49 months ago

I briefly view other comments and to the comment about people over a certain age wanting prefered working conditions no they should not special preference because of the age but their experience should be a factor.

Melissa in York, Pennsylvania

46 months ago

WD Lance in Hattiesburg, Mississippi said: Any good bartender knows that a female can't change a keg, take out a heavy garbage can, grab a bucket of ice, break up an occasional fight, etc. I understand they could be good for business, on the other hand I think a female should be paired up with an experienced male behind the bar.

Males take care of the duties most females are incapable of. We are counselors/therapists. I don't know about yall, but wouldn't you rather visit a male over a female therapist? I would.

Maybe it's because you are from the south and things are a bit different down there, but you should know that you are way off base with some of your 'insights' here. I have worked at the local bar in my town for almost a year now. I am a 25 year old female, 5' tall and barely over a hundred pounds and my sole job duties are to take out the trash, change the kegs, bring the cases of beer up from the BASEMENT without the use of a hand truck, clean the bar, and work the door as the "bouncer". I have had to break up fights, physically remove people who have been cut off, and turn away underage kids. It doesnt take a "man" to get things done, you just have to be capable and willing to work hard. I also think that the key to dealing with fights is PREVENTING them in the first place. I have found that being a FEMALE, it is actually easier to calm guys down and avoid an altercation bc they dont get as defensive and agressive as I have seen with male bouncers approaching intoxicated patrons. This is also my side job mind you, and my full time job is, ironically, working in a mental health THERAPY office, where we only have ONE male therapist out of the 6 that are working here. SO, that tells me that people actually DO prefer talking to a female therapist over a male.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

anon in Cottage Grove, Oregon

46 months ago

velvet McCarthy in Fort Myers, Florida said: Thanks for writing this I am an older bartender 54 and I have worked all my life as a bartender! I work at a bar that hires older bartenders also Ive worked there 9 yrs. Thank God for these type of bars!The only thing bars are lacking is a retirement plan!ha By the way I live in Fl Hows Denver? where do you work? Take care!

Hey my pleasure! Thats one of the things I really love about my bar. I think it rocks. It's a little neighborhood hangout and we have some really sweet customers and a whole lot of fun! I'm not up there yet but someday I will be and I'll be bartending just like you! I love it:) I've managed to keep my job so far....guess I'm still indispensible XD Keep your chin up! Older bartenders like you are awesome. Some of us younger one's are looking up to you! Oh, not sure why my 1st entry showed up as in Denver...I'm in Oregon.

anon in Cottage Grove, Oregon

46 months ago

velvet McCarthy in Fort Myers, Florida said: Thanks for writing this I am an older bartender 54 and I have worked all my life as a bartender! I work at a bar that hires older bartenders also Ive worked there 9 yrs. Thank God for these type of bars!The only thing bars are lacking is a retirement plan!ha By the way I live in Fl Hows Denver? where do you work? Take care!

Hey my pleasure! Thats one of the things I really love about my bar. I think it rocks. It's a little neighborhood hangout and we have some really sweet customers and a whole lot of fun! I'm not up there yet but someday I will be and I'll be bartending just like you! I love it:) I've managed to keep my job so far....guess I'm still indispensible XD Keep your chin up! Older bartenders like you are awesome. Some of us younger one's are looking up to you! Oh, not sure why my 1st entry showed up as in Denver...I'm in Oregon.

46 months ago

I'm 68 years old an I like bartending my last job was at dubs dread golf course it seem that some people working there has the idea I'm too old for the job . I feel that we all can be productive no matter how old we are

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

46 months ago

Charlie in New Port Richey, Florida said: I have tended bar all my life. Beginning at 21 in Atlanta GA I have been bartending up till about 6 years ago when I embarked on a career appraising and inspecting residential housing. Needless to say, with the economy the way it is I am in need of additional income. For the first time in my life I am bein denied employment. They don't give you any reason, they just don't call back. I recently turned 50 but I have managed to stay in good shape. Is my age really keeping from getting behind the bar? Have any of you had similar experiences?

Ladys and guys we should not give up so some people think we're getting to old to do what we like does that stop us no that cause we're professional and our work is art when we make that drink that awe our customer we know we did great.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

mike in Ballwin, Missouri

43 months ago

Wow, do people really still fall for idea of attending bartending schools??? Use the money and just go sit at a few bars around your area and learn some by watching and talking to the bartenders. You could do this for a year and still have time to work a normal job until you feel ready to take an opportunity that will present itself if you visit enough bars for drinks. Anybody can mix the drinks...you need to learn how to treat the customers, good & bad!The money you save will also buy you dinners each night out!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

funkmeister in Miami Beach, Florida

42 months ago

hey mike you said it staight. i am with you pal!

42 months ago

as to my opinion no they do not but there is people that think otherwise
and i respect that but don't disrespect that older bartender because he/she is a valuable asset to your business

Big D in Young Harris, Georgia

41 months ago

Some observations about bartending from my bartending days

1. Bartending schools: some the biggest scam artists out there, especially their supposed "job placement services". These schools have NO connections, all they do is send you to bars to fill out applications. Avoid at ALL costs

2.Bartending is a great side gig, but a terrible fulltime job. I got most of my bartending jobs in my mid-20's with private parties or working temp gigs with Hotels. Private Parties almost always pay more than at the bar. I worked at places like Coca Cola, Crowne Plaza, Law Firms etc. doing convention set up, serving AND bartending, and pulled in good coin. But working at a corporate chain like Chili's or Longhorn pays jack squat.

3. Its always a terrible idea to sleep with the customers. Most guy bartenders never follow this rule, and pay for it dearly. I think that is the biggest misnomer about bartenders, that they get laid all the time. The truth is, a good bartender rarely mix's business with pleasure, especially at their bar.

4.As far as the girl/guy dynamic: I think men( especially older men) are more preferred in Hotels and Country Clubs than younger women. And the neighborhood bars and clubs are definately more for younger women.

5. As for the age thing: Like I said before, bartending should be a side gig, not your bread and butter. If you're 60 and can't do anything else but bartend, that doesn't reflect well on you or anyone. NOBODY can be one dimensional these days, in ANY field, especially one that is as fluid as the customer service industry.Overall I would say a bartenders shelf life is from 21-35 in the clubs, and 21-45 in the hotels/country clubs. There are always exceptions to the rule, but that seems pretty standard.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

gymbo88 in Van Nuys, California

39 months ago

Yes, as far as the world around you is concerned, bartending is a young person's game. I am a 55 Y.O. out of work bartender. I worked nightclubs for the last 20 years in Los Angeles. When the club I worked, shut down permanently, I was shut down too. I have been out of work for almost a year. I do a private event, every once in a while, but no one wants the "Old Guy", despite the fact that I outwork 95% of bartenders that I come across, and they usually are younger than me. Many prospective employers want head and body pics, especially in L.A., before they will even personally interview you! I want to go back to work, to do what I do best, but it will probably never happen!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Disgusted in Casselberry, Florida

38 months ago

Most of the Bartenders in this area have no social skills, and are just young, and some of them good-looking. I am older, good-looking, but the fact is I am in my 50s,(look around 40, no wrinkles, just a few lines) a college grad, and intelligent. This precludes me from MOST jobs here. Older workers are the most discriminated against workers there are. And NOTHING is being done about any of it. Age discrimination in the Orlando area is the worst I have ever seen. I am well-traveled.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Disgusted in Casselberry, Florida

38 months ago

Oh, and I FORGOT!! Don't ever try to get a decent Martini here. It won't happen.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

bartender in NYC in Jersey City, New Jersey

36 months ago

I've been bartending for around 7-8 years now in New York City. Until about a year ago i worked in one of the busiest bars - a super high-volume bar and was making a lot of money! Last year I quit for a less hectic gig while i complete grad school.

Is a bartender ever too old? YES!! I'm in my late thirties and look suprisingly young, but i FEEL old!! haha. The late nights, the drinking, the lack of opportunity beyond bartending, and the lack of benefits is not good.

Bartending is fantastic for a while; you get to learn to be quick and mulitask, stretch your patience,learn to be ninja focuses, learn to interact with people and be on display - plus you're rewarded in cash.

However, you really need to have an exit strategy!!! You HAVE TO!! By the time you're really good and getting the good shifts, you're just sick of it!! You're on your feet a lot and you're up til 4-5am - not good! Plus, your eyes are getting screwed up with all the loud music and don't even get me started on the affects of drinking so much!!

So, if your friend just graduated and is earning only 40k and you're bartending making 60k, don't be so smug, because 5 years from now, you're friend will be out-earning you with benefits, 401k, valuable experience and job prospects, whereas you'll be making the same and you're price is going DOWN with age!!! Bartend only WHILE you learn something else.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jroyal

36 months ago

Chloe in Forest Park, Georgia said: ok first of all i am a female bartender...i'm 28 years old 5'3 and 112 pounds. and i am more than able to change a keg, grab buckets of ice, and throw people out/break up fights if need be, and i live in the NYC metropolitan area which is far rougher than most areas. I dont know what kind of helpless females you're used to. and i find that men would rather talk to a woman than other men any day. get your facts straight.

I'm not 50 or even close...... 29 out of new Smyrna beach, Florida. Born in Staten Island and have spent many a night in the big bad city. You may be 5'3''. 120. Lbs and live in NY, Buy you can't do ANYTHING else you reel about. Ive ran through 100 girls in the decade I've been bartending, and have heard the same ridiculous self inflating rants from all of them. It's not sexism, rather realism.
Love to see you you in the middle of a fight that "really" is out of hand....... Except it's your counterpoints that keep you out of that trouble.
I can only imagine your bar is featured in the village voice due to the rough clientele at premise.
"google village voice if you don't get the joke"
Good luck to the ol' timers on their job hunts, I love a good story.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

charli in Inverness, Florida

35 months ago

i'm 49 and have tended bar since i was 18. i moved to florida 10y/a and what a nightmare,job wise. in this area the private clubs pay better but in th end they will ruin your work record. every year they elect new officers, trustees blah,blah ,blah.. most have never run a bar or a kitchen exept into the ground, because they know best!! i've been out of steady work now for 18 months.employers don't get that batenders are great employees. we have stamina, can multi task, people skills,can actually count back change w/o a computer ect.

lizajane17 in Houston, Texas

33 months ago

Chloe in Forest Park, Georgia said: ok first of all i am a female bartender...i'm 28 years old 5'3 and 112 pounds. and i am more than able to change a keg, grab buckets of ice, and throw people out/break up fights if need be, and i live in the NYC metropolitan area which is far rougher than most areas. I dont know what kind of helpless females you're used to. and i find that men would rather talk to a woman than other men any day. get your facts straight.

depends on how big the man is?

LIZAJANE177 in Houston, Texas

33 months ago

steve in Fort Myers, Florida said: I have tended bar for 20 years, including country clubs, fine dining establishments, chain restaurants, and I am running into the same insidious, hard to detect age discrimination. It is extremely frustrating- I consider myself a career bartender, and I too am in good shape, am very rarely sick, and I am a pro...It's very hard to even get an interview.

I just moved back to Houston,TX from Kauai,Hawaii.Iv been in HoustoN since Oct,4th,11.I was gone for 6yrs.What the hell happened here!!? Where are all the jobs?? Im only 42 and feel washed up! lol( never lose your sense of humor.)I thought it would be easy finding a bartending job since Iv been doing it for over 20yrs!!But that isnt the case,Iv applied at over 40 bar/restaurants/pubs.Its just crazy to me.!I have all my teeth,I SWEAR!lol Iv been told by many men that im good looking,good shape,huge boobs..yada,yada,yada...The only reason why im even telling you this is becuase looks do matter when your a bartender. Even with all that, when applying for jobs,I CAN SEE IT!! I can see AGE discrimination all over their faces!!They look at your app/resume and see when you graduated high school, or college to get an idea of how old you are.(Since it is against the law to discriminate!!) My advise to all of you older bartenders..LIE, LIE, LIE..lol.. lie your ass off!Try this,,your next app you fill out,instead of class of 88, say class of 98.Run your own little experiment.If anything, you will at least keep yourself entertained.I say all this with a smile on my face, Because I KNOW what Im capable of,I know Im a damn good bartending with mad skills ,big boobs and a sense of humor.Im not going to let you get to me!(for a while there,I was
sniffing my pits after I left a interview)It gets very frustrating to know noone wants you because your "older". But dont give,keep on looking and you will find the place that fits you.I do believe that, thats what keeping me going!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

LIZAJANE177 in Houston, Texas

33 months ago

steve in Fort Myers, Florida said: I have tended bar for 20 years, ...QUOTE]

I just moved back to Houston,TX from Kauai,Hawaii.Iv been in HoustoN since Oct,4th,11.I was gone for 6yrs.What the hell happened here!!? Where are all the jobs?? Im only 42 and feel washed up! lol( never lose your sense of humor.)I thought it would be easy finding a bartending job since Iv been doing it for over 20yrs!!But that isnt the case,Iv applied at over 40 bar/restaurants/pubs.Its just crazy to me.!I have all my teeth,I SWEAR!lol Iv been told by many men that im good looking,good shape,huge boobs..yada,yada,yada...The only reason why im even telling you this is becuase looks do matter when your a bartender. Even with all that, when applying for jobs,I CAN SEE IT!! I can see AGE discrimination all over their faces!!They look at your app/resume and see when you graduated high school, or college to get an idea of how old you are.(Since it is against the law to discriminate!!) My advise to all of you older bartenders..LIE, LIE, LIE..lol.. lie your ass off!Try this,,your next app you fill out,instead of class of 88, say class of 98.Run your own little experiment.If anything, you will at least keep yourself entertained.I say all this with a smile on my face, Because I KNOW what Im capable of,I know Im a damn good bartending with mad skills ,big boobs and a sense of humor.Im not going to let you get to me!(for a while there,I was
sniffing my pits after I left a interview)It gets very frustrating to know noone wants you because your "older". But dont give,keep on looking and you will find the place that fits you.I do believe that, thats what keeping me going!Its been 3 months of rejection, believe me I feel your pain!DONT GIVE UP!

sbell83 in Yorktown Heights, New York

33 months ago

I WILL BE TURNING 70 IN JUNE OF THIS YEAR BUT HONESTLY LOOK YOUNGER. I HAVEN'T TENDED BAR FOR OVER 20 YEARS AND OWNED A RESTAURANT FOR 10 YEARS AND ENJOYED EVERY MINUTE OF IT. I HAVE BEEN IN THE FLOORING INDUSTRY AND GOT LAID OFF 1 1/2 YEARS AGO. I ENJOYED LISTENING TO OLDER PEOPLE ABOUT THEIR LIFE HISTORY WHEN I FIRST STARTED TENDING BAR.I JUST SENT A RESUME ON A MILITARY BASE AND HOPE A YOUNGER PATON CAN LISTEN TO MY LIFE HISTORY AND STILL ENJOY A NICE COLD DRINK AND A JOKE.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Nikki in Bakersfield, California

32 months ago

The Tipster in Cathedral City, California said: Hey Everyone,

I am an author and I am writing a new book on how to make more money in tips as a server or bartender in a recession. Now I have been in food service for over 9 years but I want to know about some of the things that you may do to make more money in tips or something you may have seen someone else do that got them a higher tip.

Any information you can give me on this topic would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

I have been in the serving/bartending/cocktailing business for years, the thing I noticed about a coworker of mine was, she constantly talked about herself. For some reason, and I do not know why, people enjoyed this, and it made them feel special. She would CONSTANTLY talk, about herself, her problems, her day, then she would talk to them about their problems, etc. I never knew how she got any work done, but in the end, she made much more money than any of us did and got presents and flowers to boot!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

sbell83 in Scarsdale, New York

32 months ago

Here are some great tips to being a great bartender. First be yourself at all times and always keep smiling and keeping your cool. Second is to treat every customer with dignity and respect and you'll get this back 10 fold.Third is to say hello to every customers thats walks through your door, customers feel welcomed important and impressed. Fourth is try not to talk behind the back of another customer,it will come back and bite you in your ass.Many times over the course of twenty years out of town customer's would tell me that i treated them better than there home bartenders. This is the 10 fold i was telling you about. Always have a nice thing to say to every person.
I enjoyed all the people i've met over the years.

Good luck with your Book

Linda220 in Hoffman Estates, Illinois

32 months ago

griffin384@comcast.net in Elgin, Illinois said: Please tell me what you sell, or do for a living I feel like you left us hanging. And I am glad I read this site before I signed up for bartending school I figured I was too old.

Here's the deal with bartending school. Yeah, it's expensive - but you can definitely find a Groupon (or equivalent) to it these days. I myself was out of the whole club scene and enjoyed being drilled on "Manhattans" and "Old Fashion" that a lot of people still drink (much to my surprise). No I did not tend bar in a club - but I did a LOT of private parties at a family restaurant and did fairly well. I literally had to quit 1-1/2 weeks ago as I work a full time job and was just burned out. My $.02 on bartending school is if you don't know the core drinks and have never worked in any type of restaurant before I feel it's a very beneficial 3 week certificate (and usually comes with some type of alcohol awareness program which a lot of IL bars look for these days); therefore - I guess I am no better than a monkey according to edward_seitz out of VA - but I took the time to learn some core drinks, get the feel for being behind the bar and it worked out. The biggest hurdle I had in finding a job was my age and the fact that I'm not as svelt as the other big-chested female bartenders. Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

BOYCE in Charleston, South Carolina

32 months ago

Oscar in Miami Beach, Florida said: I don`t know if the "studies" of reference show also the extremely hig rotation level in the female tenders... or the fact than in the industry, the baby boomers are not the most of the patrons, but the higest spending customers, and demand a kind of service only experience can ofert.
Not only the economy is killing the busines;
the tobaco law
the "standarization" in the tax level or licencing
the "industrialization"of the mixers
Are you in the last 3 years drinked a screwdriver with FRESH orange juice, maked by yourselft with the real orange?
how many times are you blended a real pices of pineapple and coconut with rum?
for how long you don`t see any body adding to the tomato juice the bitters, limes, salt and pepper,vodka and celery in front of you?
If I need to go tho a fast drink bar, I drink Chill Vodka, or alcohol straig to the bottle... or a meeting of the A.A.A. I go to the bar because I whant cuality and service I don`T have any were else.

HOW MANY COCKTAILS DID YOU HAVE BEFORE WRITING THIS?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mike in Denver, Colorado

32 months ago

Bar Employer in Cincinnati, Ohio said: I hate to be the one to say it guys, but bartenders have a shelf life, just like popular drinks. i will sat that i have found men tend to have a much longer shelf life than women, but 20 something women don't want to flirt with their dads and bartenders can be one of the biggest factors in a night out.

Your an idiot.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Mike in Denver, Colorado

32 months ago

Melissa in York, Pennsylvania said: Maybe it's because you are from the south and things are a bit different down there, but you should know that you are way off base with some of your 'insights' here. I have worked at the local bar in my town for almost a year now. I am a 25 year old female, 5' tall and barely over a hundred pounds and my sole job duties are to take out the trash, change the kegs, bring the cases of beer up from the BASEMENT without the use of a hand truck, clean the bar, and work the door as the "bouncer". I have had to break up fights, physically remove people who have been cut off, and turn away underage kids. It doesnt take a "man" to get things done, you just have to be capable and willing to work hard. I also think that the key to dealing with fights is PREVENTING them in the first place. I have found that being a FEMALE, it is actually easier to calm guys down and avoid an altercation bc they dont get as defensive and agressive as I have seen with male bouncers approaching intoxicated patrons. This is also my side job mind you, and my full time job is, ironically, working in a mental health THERAPY office, where we only have ONE male therapist out of the 6 that are working here. SO, that tells me that people actually DO prefer talking to a female therapist over a male.

Wow this girl is clueless. Shes the only one who does everything you said they don't do like trash, etc.....yea right. She's probably a little princess like all the rest of the Prima Donna female bartenders.
I hate working with them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

jojo in Brockport, New York

32 months ago

i have worked in great places and watched them go under because of young and old. my opinion there is no age limit as long as your capable, ready,quick thinking and responsible, fun,ready to listen, ready to conquer what may happen on a daily basis and do the right thing when trouble breaks out and make customers feel comfortable, there are no requirements on age i am 42 and still bring a crowd in i have worked two years bartending and learn something every day a bartender with personality makes it happen not the best looking thing not the best dressed either but love my customers and do my best to treat them well. good tips are grand but not always there. some people are rich some are poor that come in to the bar everyone is treated fairly and with respect. i get all kinds of stuff tossed at me by my boss up sell product dont down sell he said but i know my customers i do what they can afford and still have fun brings them back wich is future buisness and more when they bring friends as well. as far as im concerned age does not matter.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

MissNevada08

31 months ago

Oh my fellow bartenders... I feel empathy toward everything posted here. I am 34 yrs old...and have been behind the bar almost a decade. (P.S. I have my college degree). This job DOES have a shelf life...(especially us gals). I work on a VERY popular street, and I am the 'ol brood now. Do not let the money ruin you. Yes...if it is a big bar...the money is great. But money comes, and money goes. No one does this job well for a long period of time...man or woman. It ages you...like you have been in the sun too long. So enjoy it for awhile. I promised myself I would be out at 35 yrs...no matter what. And for the record, it is a horrible economy. We receive about 5 resumes a week...and there is no "turn-over", like there was the first six years I did this job. I wish you all great things...but heed the warnings. After all, bartending is 'emotional stripping'...and gets the best of us if we allow it. Best wishes to you all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

sissy in Atlanta, Georgia

27 months ago

I

steve in Fort Myers, Florida said: I have tended bar for 20 years, including country clubs, fine dining establishments, chain restaurants, and I am running into the same insidious, hard to detect age discrimination. It is extremely frustrating- I consider myself a career bartender , and I too am in good shape, am very rarely sick, and I am a pro...It's very hard to even get an interview.

I have been a bartender for twenty one years and I can't even get a job myself they say they want experience bartenders but when they see how old u are they don't need no one at this time

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

AZimmerman in Seattle, Washington

18 months ago

Lisa in Hattiesburg, Mississippi said: I am busty and blonde and I have a college degree...I am probably a whole lot smarter than you. I also probably make twice as much money as you do.

so then WHY do you need to be looking online at job sites???

Lazarus Dinglefoot in Cibolo, Texas

9 months ago

Lisa in Hattiesburg, Mississippi said: I am busty and blonde and I have a college degree...I am probably a whole lot smarter than you. I also probably make twice as much money as you do.

But, Baby, you live in Mississippi! Your frame of reference is skewed.

AZimmerman in Seattle, Washington

9 months ago

Oscar in Miami Beach, Florida said: I don`t know if the "studies" of reference show also the extremely hig rotation level in the female tenders... or the fact than in the industry, the baby boomers are not the most of the patrons, but the higest spending customers, and demand a kind of service only experience can ofert.
Not only the economy is killing the busines;
the tobaco law
the "standarization" in the tax level or licencing
the "industrialization"of the mixers
Are you in the last 3 years drinked a screwdriver with FRESH orange juice, maked by yourselft with the real orange?
how many times are you blended a real pices of pineapple and coconut with rum?
for how long you don`t see any body adding to the tomato juice the bitters, limes, salt and pepper,vodka and celery in front of you?
If I need to go tho a fast drink bar, I drink Chill Vodka, or alcohol straig to the bottle... or a meeting of the A.A.A. I go to the bar because I whant cuality and service I don`T have any were else.

omg! i couldn't READ your POOR submittal! (spell-check...pay attention in 2nd grade!...)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Brent Hutchinson in New York, New York

6 months ago

collran in Johnstown, Colorado said: I am in a very similar situation, but I'm only in my mid 30's and facing the same thing. I believe age does play a factor especially in the college towns, which I live near. I have been told twice that they are wanting someone younger even at non college type places. The worst though for me is the ever increasing trend of bars with only female tenders. Not only do I see ads around here for flat out asking for females only, but have also been told when applying that they were looking for women. I have no problem with women tending and studies have shown that they bring in more money for the bar, but I've gone back these places to find their new hire has less than half my experience, extremely frustrating.

I agree with you 100%. It's tough out there. I'm in NYC and trying to find a job is a grueling and depressing process;especially when I go out and see guys that don't care about customer service or generally don't care. I was out with my girlfriend a while ago and ordered an Old Fashioned and the girl behind the bar looked at me like I was high, "what's that?" she asked. I couldn't believe it but I told her the proper instructions on making the drink and she served me a mess. It's really becoming a common occurrence to be turned down. I know it's a competitive market but is there something I could be doing wrong? Could any real bartenders out there maybe tell me the best way of going about getting hired? I've had a couple really promising job interviews but with no success. Any tips would be great. There was even this one bartending interview I went to and it was a full service Italian restaurant and they gave me a test that I know the average person wouldn't be able to answer and even though I didn't know all the answers I thought I did extremely well. Is it something about my look? ADVICE PLEASE! Thanks.

Page:  « Previous   1  2   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.