Are billing clerk job opportunities growing or declining?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (10)

Host

Are jobs in this industry on the rise? Are there any sub-sectors that are growing?

Where are the jobs? Which places have the most billing clerk opportunities?

Reply - Report abuse

Melodye in Minneapolis, Minnesota

81 months ago

Host said: Are jobs in this industry on the rise? Are there any sub-sectors that are growing?

Where are the jobs? Which places have the most billing clerk opportunities?

I just graduated from everest institute. So far every job requires 4 to 5 years experience to even get the job. I was told that medical insurance billing and coding jobs were in demand. It seems no one will even give you an interview unless you have solid experience. How can you get experience if no one will give you a chance to learn and grow?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No Reply - Report abuse

Maria Rocco in Bellingham, Massachusetts

74 months ago

Melodye in Minneapolis, Minnesota said: I just graduated from everest institute. So far every job requires 4 to 5 years experience to even get the job. I was told that medical insurance billing and coding jobs were in demand. It seems no one will even give you an interview unless you have solid experience. How can you get experience if no one will give you a chance to learn and grow?

I feel the same way. That is what is happening with me. I apply to jobs and there will be no repsonse back. Its right...how can you get experience if the employer won't give you a chance for the position.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Charlene

73 months ago

I am considering in making a career change from teaching into billing. Since I do not have the exposure and experience as a billing clerk, in order to get some hands on experience, I plan to target several medical offices within my area and volunteer my time and skills in their billing department. Have you considered volunteering so you get some experience? You could also use them as a reference as you continue to interview. Just a thought to try to help you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

KIMBERLY JONES in Macon, Georgia

71 months ago

I FEEL THE SAME WAY ABOUT THE JOBS IN BILLING AND CODING NOONE SEEMS TO WANT TO EVEN GIVE YOU A CHANCE TO EVEN GET THE EXPERIENCE. I FINISH SCHOOL ABOUT A YEAR AGO AND EVERY JOB WANT YOU TO HAVE EXPERIENCE. I WISH I COULD VOLUNTEER TO GET MY EXPERIENCE; BUT I DO HAVE KIDS AND I WORK TO TAKE CARE OF THEM SO I REALLY NEED THE MONEY TO SUPPORT MY KIDS AND I. I DO WORK MON-FRI. I JUST CONTINUE TO PRAY AND HOPE SOMEONE GIVE ME A CHANCE TO SHOW MY SKILLS AND PROVE MYSELF.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

VikkiLee in Dallas, Texas

60 months ago

I AM IN THE SAME BOAT. I GRADUATED IN MAY 2009 WITH HONORS, AND YET I AM NOT GETTING CALLS BACK. I EVEN HAD A FEW INTERVIEWS AND STILL NOT CALLED BACK...I AM VERY FRUSTRATED! I WAS ALSO TOLD THIS WAS A GOOD FIELD TO GET INTO,BLA,BLA,BLA...I AM STILL SEARCHING FOR MY CAREER JOB. I AM PRAYING THE ECONOMY WILL TURN AROUND AND I WILL GET CALLS SOON.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Aryan in London, United Kingdom

60 months ago

Melodye in Minneapolis, Minnesota said: I just graduated from everest institute. So far every job requires 4 to 5 years experience to even get the job. I was told that medical insurance billing and coding jobs were in demand. It seems no one will even give you an interview unless you have solid experience. How can you get experience if no one will give you a chance to learn and grow?

You need to fabricate your resume.. and do some homework... contact me on richard_Collins@yahoo.co.uk I think i can help you....
Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Carolyn Sanford in Houston, Texas

42 months ago

I also graduated from Everest Institute in the Medical Insurance Billing and Coding program last year and every job that I see, they want you to have 2 to 5 years of experience. My feelings are the same as everyone else when it come down to getting a job when no one wants to give you the chance, because of the lack of experience.I also thought about becoming a volunteer to gain the experience and spoke with my sister who works in dialysis about my plans. She mention my name to the administrator, but I still haven't received an okay for a phone call to discuss my plans. Its very frustrated at this point and time to repay one my loans is coming up.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

valentine2 in salt lake city, Utah

42 months ago

Carolyn Sanford in Houston, Texas said: I also graduated from Everest Institute in the Medical Insurance Billing and Coding program last year and every job that I see, they want you to have 2 to 5 years of experience. My feelings are the same as everyone else when it come down to getting a job when no one wants to give you the chance, because of the lack of experience.I also thought about becoming a volunteer to gain the experience and spoke with my sister who works in dialysis about my plans. She mention my name to the administrator, but I still haven't received an okay for a phone call to discuss my plans. Its very frustrated at this point and time to repay one my loans is coming up.

Have you tried looking for a job elsewhere in HIM, such as medical records, billing, account follow up? I realize it isn't coding, but it would get your foot in the door, and you would gain much needed experience and become more familiar with ICD 9, CPT and reimbursement. After gaining experience, you can leverage for a coding job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

jmatt in Parker, Colorado

42 months ago

I work as an admission counselor at an online school, which does not offer billing and coding. I talk to people everyday who are trying to get into this industry simply because they think it is a quick fix to a stable high paying job. My competitors are continually selling this program to people who want an easy out, but seriously education is a MARATHON and not a SPRINT! Nothing in life comes easy, so unless you have an absolute passion for this line of work it is not for you. If someone calls you and tells you there is a guaranteed job with just 6 months of training they are lying! I have a Masters Degree, and even with that there is no guarantee for employment. So if you think for a second that you will come out of a 6 month training course and have leg up on someone like myself with a just a certificate, you are delusional. Unfortunately, times are tough and it is the under educated who are truly going to suffer. If you want to avoid the pain, work hard, get a true degree through a regionally accredited school, pay your dues, and you will be just fine.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.