Getting a Biological Science Technician job.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

Host

How did you get your start doing Biological Science Technician work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

Reply - Report abuse

Lauren in Lolo, Montana

64 months ago

Host said: How did you get your start doing Biological Science Technician work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

I began during college - the summer of my junior year I worked a summer bird job (mist-netting of passerines). After graduation I moved where the jobs were. I work in a different state almost every summer. Moving is the best way to get the job that fits what you need to learn (i.e. new skills, supervisory experience, etc)
It helps to have a science degree, mine is in Wildlife Biology. However, there are many people who don't and still manage to get entry level positions at first and then build experience. If you want to move out of the Technician level, it helps to have a master's degree in science (M.S.) Of course at that point, you may need to have an undergraduate degree in a science related field to help you to get into a science-based master's program.
If you are interested in going into the career of Biological Science, I would suggest an undergraduate degree in this field if you're still in school.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

kykytiffy in Portland, Oregon

62 months ago

Lauren in Lolo, Montana said: I began during college - the summer of my junior year I worked a summer bird job (mist-netting of passerines). After graduation I moved where the jobs were. I work in a different state almost every summer. Moving is the best way to get the job that fits what you need to learn (i.e. new skills, supervisory experience, etc)
It helps to have a science degree, mine is in Wildlife Biology. However, there are many people who don't and still manage to get entry level positions at first and then build experience. If you want to move out of the Technician level, it helps to have a master's degree in science (M.S.) Of course at that point, you may need to have an undergraduate degree in a science related field to help you to get into a science-based master's program.
If you are interested in going into the career of Biological Science, I would suggest an undergraduate degree in this field if you're still in school.

Hello, I am very interested in becoming a biology science technician. I'm still working on my prerequisites at the community college. I know that a lot of government jobs don't require a degree, but courses in the physical and biological sciences. I do want a bachelors. I would love a degree in biology but there is so much Calculus involved!! (yuck) I have also considered a degree in General Science. That way I could take care of my bio, chem, physics, and I would also love to take a few geology classes. I would just like to know your opinion on the direction I'm taking towards a degree to become a science tech. Thanks :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.