Building engineering degree

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

Angelo in Chivasso, Italy

103 months ago

Hi eneryone.
I'm Angelo, and I live in Italy, Turin.

I am about to graduate me in building engineering (ingegneria edile) at the "Politecnico di Torino".
I would like to know if my university degree is it the same of an US building engineerig degree.
I'm taked many examinations of architectural design and many examinations of structural calculations.(reinforced concrete, steel, permanent structure)
I'm able to design a building and to make calculation of all the materials and structural parts (beams, foundations, ecc.), but i can't calculate a street or a bridge (only buildings)
Is this the same professional figure of one US building engineer?
I ask you this because I wuold like to come in NY after my degree to serarch job and experience.

Tank you to all and sorry for my english.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Wanderer in Saint Louis, Missouri

102 months ago

I don't know how your degree would translate, but, you should probably look into the requirement for getting an Engineering License (issued by states).

I am not an engineer and I don't live in new york, but, I work for engineers and my husband is dealing with right now trying to translate/equate his degrees from England into something an American employer would understand.

Maybe the following website for New York Engineers FAQ will help you...
www.op.nysed.gov/pefaq.htm

Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

GB in Iráklion, Greece

59 months ago

Angelo in Chivasso, Italy said: Hi eneryone.
I'm Angelo, and I live in Italy, Turin.

I am about to graduate me in building engineering (ingegneria edile) at the "Politecnico di Torino".
I would like to know if my university degree is it the same of an US building engineerig degree.
I'm taked many examinations of architectural design and many examinations of structural calculations.(reinforced concrete, steel, permanent structure)
I'm able to design a building and to make calculation of all the materials and structural parts (beams, foundations, ecc.), but i can't calculate a street or a bridge (only buildings)
Is this the same professional figure of one US building engineer?
I ask you this because I wuold like to come in NY after my degree to serarch job and experience.

Tank you to all and sorry for my english.

Hello Angelo,

In the United States, "building engineering" is considered "architectural engineering", which specializes in the engineering systems with in BUILDINGS, and only with buildings. Architectural engineering is the study of structural, mechanical, electrical, and fire safety systems with in buildings.

There are many engineering consulting firms which employ architectural engineers. Also, many architectural engineers work for larger construction and construction management company's as project managers/engineers.

Hope this helps,

George

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.