Tips for building inspector interviews.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

Host

Do you have any tips to help prepare for an upcoming building inspector interview?

Are there common interview questions that come up again and again?

Reply - Report abuse

Sarah Branson in Dallas, Oregon

91 months ago

I have an interview coming up and I realy want this job. Any help on the interview process would be of great help.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (74) / No (22) Reply - Report abuse

MB in Seaside, California

75 months ago

Sarah did you get the job? I've got an interview coming up next month and was doing a search on the same issue, common interview questions for BI jobs?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

JOSE A GUILLEN in Riverside, California

47 months ago

To get a job as an inspector is not as easy as it seams youroral interview is sometimes very complicated for you because thy will ask you something like this. How would i separate a garage from a dwelling unit??? first of all whats a dwelling its a home and the way you lay it out is the way you will get judged they will know if you know what they are talking about. EXAMPLE ANSWER a IS: A dwelling unit is separated from a garage by a firewall covered on garage side by 1/2 inch thickness minimum gypsum board. Whats gypsum board its drywall, another is what is the clearance in front of a watercloset.? whats a watercloset its a toilet and the distance infront varies from code book per irc 21 inches per upc 24 inches i been a modular home/building inspector over 12 years also inspector icc certified and master board certified and have not yet hold a job for a municipality/ city or agency,

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

mike barr in Las Vegas, Nevada

34 months ago

Host said: Do you have any tips to help prepare for an upcoming building inspector interview?

Are there common interview questions that come up again and again?

ive had about 5 city interviews and got none , 1 question they always ask , what do you do with an irrate customer , contractor i f work is not done per code ? my answer was ,not shir ,but i sad i would let the contractor vent for awhile , show him in the approved plans and code book that he is wrong and needs to correct or non compliance will be written , other questions are about the job meeting its schedule ,what do you do if something is not per plan

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

KMLTUP in Dayton, Ohio

28 months ago

JOSE A GUILLEN in Riverside, California said: To get a job as an inspector is not as easy as it seams youroral interview is sometimes very complicated for you because thy will ask you something like this. How would i separate a garage from a dwelling unit??? first of all whats a dwelling its a home and the way you lay it out is the way you will get judged they will know if you know what they are talking about. EXAMPLE ANSWER a IS: A dwelling unit is separated from a garage by a firewall covered on garage side by 1/2 inch thickness minimum gypsum board. Whats gypsum board its drywall, another is what is the clearance in front of a watercloset.? whats a watercloset its a toilet and the distance infront varies from code book per irc 21 inches per upc 24 inches i been a modular home/building inspector over 12 years also inspector icc certified and master board certified and have not yet hold a job for a municipality/ city or agency,

--i cann relate, me have gramur and speling good, still cannot get me a betur job, i du not umberstand...help me uot...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

dan in Oakley, California

27 months ago

KMLTUP in Dayton, Ohio said: --i cann relate, me have gramur and speling good, still cannot get me a betur job, i du not umberstand...help me uot...

Now that's funny!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.