Need some Help new to some of the techniques on tools used for Requirements

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

Liro Haven in Knoxville, Tennessee

52 months ago

If I were asked to get the detailed requirements that are composed from Business Rules what should I ask the user is there a template such as

Who-User Role What - the function I do - Goal - Outcome to the steps I have taken when I do the function

For example:

Creating a login for user

Admin logs into system - pull up create user screen enter in all appropriate information - Give user a login name that can be no more than 8 characters and must include Letters and numbers no other characters, commas or spaces. End Result System Generates a temporary password along with the new user name. User can then log into the system with the logon and temp pw where upon they will then create a new password per system prompts.

Would this be considered a detailed requirement based on the business rules?

Please advise and thanks for any and all help. I want to create a template for my users to use to make it easier for us to create the detailed requirements so that is my goal!

Liro

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

liro-ba in Columbus, Ohio

52 months ago

Does anyone have any ideas on this please answer!

Liro Haven in Knoxville, Tennessee said: If I were asked to get the detailed requirements that are composed from Business Rules what should I ask the user is there a template such as

Who-User Role What - the function I do - Goal - Outcome to the steps I have taken when I do the function

For example:

Creating a login for user

Admin logs into system - pull up create user screen enter in all appropriate information - Give user a login name that can be no more than 8 characters and must include Letters and numbers no other characters, commas or spaces. End Result System Generates a temporary password along with the new user name. User can then log into the system with the logon and temp pw where upon they will then create a new password per system prompts.

Would this be considered a detailed requirement based on the business rules?

Please advise and thanks for any and all help. I want to create a template for my users to use to make it easier for us to create the detailed requirements so that is my goal!

Liro

Systems Analyst in North Richland Hills, Texas

51 months ago

This would be a combination of a use case and certain aspects of the rules. There are many practices and different opinions of what steps you should take in creating requirements.

Different businesses have different templates. It depends on what works for you. I suggest you read a few books to come up with something.

A use case describes the action the user takes in regards to the system and what happens when the user clicks here or there. Think of telling a story of the relationship between the user and the system.

In your above example, the rule defines the values of each field (max of 8 alphanumeric characters), and the details of the message that might appear if a user clicks cancel, for example. You can all sorts of requirements though. This is not all encompassing. There are business requirements, functional requirements(use cases), non-functional requirements, software requirements (message appears when you click Save), etc.

In most documents I write, the business rules are at the beginning of the document and provide general requirements of the project. Then a use case might appear, and then throughout the document I outline the details of each portion of the UI or whatever the design is.

Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

liro-ba in Columbus, Ohio

51 months ago

Thanks that is how I am kind of taking it. I am using Use Cases, Business Rules, Functional and Non-Functional Requirements in order to arrive at the Detailed requirements as the validation team is going to use the Detailed requirements to create test scripts. So I need to know what triggers the action, what the user does within the system to fulfill the customer's request, how the system is supposed to re-act such as when User enters the customer name the system auto-populates customer information if the customer is not in the system then the user must enter etc.... So hopefully this will be what we need. I appreciate your answer. Thanks!

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.