Rebar, Steel Detailer, Cost Estimator, Structural Drafter, Designer

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

Indie_One in Wichita, Kansas

10 months ago

Where do you get the training to break into this field? What software is being used? Etc.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

John in MD in Catonsville, Maryland

10 months ago

The two primary software packages are AutoCAD and Microstation. The client often determines which software is used. For example, the state of MD uses Microstation, many of the private contractors in this state use AutoCAD.

Around here, the community colleges offer classes in different flavors of both of the programs. The training is very general though because many companies have their own standards.

Autodesk (the company that makes the AutoCAD products) also has training classes. Very expensive classes. Around here, over $800 per person per day expensive. I suspect Microstation would offer classes as well.

I have seen ads around MD that typically want some sort of formal CAD training/ degree from some sort of CAD program. Sometimes companies will accept experience in a similar field and train.

Unix Brat in Asheville, North Carolina

10 months ago

John, I think it's pretty cool that you're keeping on top of all this. I hope the guys saw this yesterday and hire you.

10 months ago

It would be nice to get some inflow of cash instead of living like a pauper.... I expect to hear today or tomorrow. And it sounded like they would want me to start Monday......

Unix Brat in Asheville, North Carolina

10 months ago

Monday? That doesn't give us too much time to put together our congrat's party.

10 months ago

I would ask for a couple days to wrap up a couple things though.... we'll see

Indie_One in Wichita, Kansas

10 months ago

Company types, places to look for work: construction materials, building materials, steel fabricators, structural engineers, builders, etc.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.