Am I too old to start taking CNA training ?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (36)

ticketyboo in Bridgeport, Connecticut

41 months ago

I would appreciate some honest opinions. I have been unemployed for a year now and there are no jobs in my area. There seem to be plenty of opportunities for CNA's. I am 59 and in perfect health. I have looked at the training materials and it looks doable. Heavy lifting might be an issue. Light lifting O.K. Do you think I am too old to consider going back to school? Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Angelika

40 months ago

No Way, you're not too old. In my cna class most of the women were older and they did great, if you are in good physical health do it. As for the lifting just use good body mechanics and ask for help when needed, you'll be your age anyway so why not be your age and have some additional education too. I wish you lots of luck and success.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Angelika22 in New York

40 months ago

No Way, you're not too old. In my cna class most of the women were older and they did great, if you are in good physical health do it. As for the lifting just use good body mechanics and ask for help when needed, you'll be your age anyway so why not be your age and have some additional education too. I wish you lots of luck and success.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Charleen Ann in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

40 months ago

Angelika said: No Way, you're not too old. In my cna class most of the women were older and they did great, if you are in good physical health do it. As for the lifting just use good body mechanics and ask for help when needed, you'll be your age anyway so why not be your age and have some additional education too. I wish you lots of luck and success.

No, if your in good health. I am 56 and took a CNA course at Delaware College; however, I was the oldest one in the class, including a 51 year old, so we became good friends. Not a good idea to start CNA classes without discussing with the administrator the age group of the class. GOOD LUCK!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

flygirl in Kenosha, Wisconsin

40 months ago

I was the oldest one in my class and it did not bother me at all. I really find it refreshing to be around younger people. You will be trained on the proper lifting techniques. I suggest doing some exercises to strengthen your back as well. You find this to be a very rewarding career choice. Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Raineday in Oak Lawn, Illinois

39 months ago

I just finisg CNA classes at my Community College I was the oldest at 60 by 25 years. It was fine. A few of the young women included me after a few classes. I enjoyed the learning and the time spent with young, enthusiastic people. Please, go for it! It is never too late. Good luck.

PS I too was worried about the lifting but was taught proper technique with the gait belt and did fine without strain to myself.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Wkredz5 in Bloomingdale, Illinois

39 months ago

Heck nah!! Right on old lady! You can do it! ;)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Nick L in Medford, Massachusetts

39 months ago

ticketyboo in Bridgeport, Connecticut said: I would appreciate some honest opinions. I have been unemployed for a year now and there are no jobs in my area. There seem to be plenty of opportunities for CNA's. I am 59 and in perfect health. I have looked at the training materials and it looks doable. Heavy lifting might be an issue. Light lifting O.K. Do you think I am too old to consider going back to school? Thanks

If you are unemployed and no experience then it will be very hard if not impossible. Even at my age of 36, I have been told that changing careers is impossible and that time spent going to school will still be seen as a major employment gap

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

Charleen Ann in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

39 months ago

I'm 57 years old, in good health - unemployed - went to CNA classes at a community college and received my CNA certificate. I was able to get a I part-time position with the option within 2-3 months to get a full-time position with the company that hired a student CNA. I thank GOD everyday for the opportunity to have a part-time job. Don't give up!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

Victor in Cincinnati, Ohio

39 months ago

You aren't to old, but you would want to stay fit. Only problem older workers have is the health insurance issue and employers worried about claims.

Germany and other nations value older workers for their experience and it's more difficult for younger workers to find employment. But of course they have spread the costs of health care with national health policies and also have kept the cost down.

You can also take a foreign language, you never know. Maybe you could be working in France or Italy. Might as well enjoy life too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Nick L in Medford, Massachusetts

37 months ago

Carolinagirl1112 in Wake Forest, North Carolina said: In my CNA class that just ended last month, one of the students was a 60 year old man. He finished the CNA program and now he's taking his prereqs for nursing school. You can do it!

What type of school was this?? When you google CNA training you get these overpriced online schools or for profit career colleges. If you have a degree in something else should you just get a 2nd BA/BS degree or community college program?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Carolinagirl1112 in Wake Forest, North Carolina

37 months ago

Nick L in Medford, Massachusetts said: What type of school was this?? When you google CNA training you get these overpriced online schools or for profit career colleges. If you have a degree in something else should you just get a 2nd BA/BS degree or community college program?

The school is Wake Tech in Raleigh, NC. The CNA program is offered there probably 20+ times a year. Our class was fast-track and was only one month but it was full-time. The tuition for the class was less than $250 and then you buy your books, scrubs, any shots you may need, etc. They have a great reputation at that school.

If you already have a degree in something else, you should easily be able to get a degree in nursing just by taking a few classes. Some even offer classes online, so if that's something that interests you, I would definitely look into it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Rhonda in Mcminnville, Tennessee

37 months ago

ticketyboo in Bridgeport, Connecticut said: I would appreciate some honest opinions. I have been unemployed for a year now and there are no jobs in my area. There seem to be plenty of opportunities for CNA's. I am 59 and in perfect health. I have looked at the training materials and it looks doable. Heavy lifting might be an issue. Light lifting O.K. Do you think I am too old to consider going back to school? Thanks

I don't think you are ever to old to do what you want to do. This is a profession you will have to love doing to do it. I am thinking about taking it myself and I am 61. The lifting might be an issue for me also but I am going for it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Rhonda in Mcminnville, Tennessee

37 months ago

I am 61 and am thinking about taking the CNA class. I was a Medical Assistant for about 15 yrs and love working in the medical field. I have always wanted to be a nurse but never had the opportunity or the money. That is what I wanted to do out of high school and I got married instead. Back then, women wanted to be housewives and mothers. Now I feel I may have come full circle and have the chance to be what I have always wanted to be. Wish me luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

37 months ago

You go girl! You are an inspiration

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

37 months ago

You go girl ! You are an inspiration

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

jllandis in New Providence, Pennsylvania

37 months ago

as long as you can lift you will be fine good luck!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

lauren20 in Fredericksburg, Virginia

37 months ago

Definitely not! It's inspiring to see someone such as yourself still looking to do work! If you think you can do it, then do it. Most of it just the mindset you have. And if it ends up you can't lift alot or can't handle it, then it was worth a try! (:

Raineday in Oak Lawn, Illinois

37 months ago

I just passed my State of Ill exam. I took the classes this summer at a community college. I was 25 years older than the next oldest student. I am 60 years old. This is a worthy use of my time and my energy. The very best to you if you decide to pursue this effort.

Priscilla71 in Mount Prospect, Illinois

33 months ago

No you are not too old. I have been a CNA for 20 years and have loved every minute of it...as far as being worried about the lifting, don't be. Just pay attention and follow the lifting techniques they show you and you will do just fine. Plus we CNA's always work together. You will not lift anyone too heavy by yourself.

qwnbabs in Clifton, New Jersey

27 months ago

i'm 57 years old in good health. i'm losing my job at the end of the year considering cna classes but think maybe i'm to old! does anyone know if i could get a job in northern n.j. as a cna at my age?

Charleeeeeeeeennneee in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

27 months ago

I was also laid off when I lived in PA. Moved to DE w/my fiance & there were no jobs close to us in my field (adm.asst - paying what I was getting in PA), so I took CNA class. I'm in good health; however, it wears u down. This is a manual labor job - lots of lifting, bending, pulling, etc. On your feet for 7 hours straight. I made it to 1year - but still looking. CNA's take a lot of 'groft' from patients & RN's - & - u have to bite your tongue. Wish u luck - if your in GOOD HEALTH - u having nothing to worry about!

Jensensg55 in Saint Helens, Oregon

21 months ago

ticketyboo in Bridgeport, Connecticut said: I would appreciate some honest opinions. I have been unemployed for a year now and there are no jobs in my area. There seem to be plenty of opportunities for CNA 's. I am 59 and in perfect health . I have looked at the training materials and it looks doable. Heavy lifting might be an issue. Light lifting O.K. Do you think I am too old to consider going back to school? Thanks

I took a CNA course, got certified and 57. The head nurse was rumored to have said I was too old. ( mind you , I swam a mile and walked 8) It has now been 7 months since I have been certified and I have gone on at least 40 interviews. Not a one hired me. They said it was my lack of experience and if it was my age they didn't say why. I would say become a caregiver first so you get some experience and then take the class and maybe even sometime a long term care facility will pay the tuition for you and you haven't lost anything. But as for me and my situation I see it as a total waste of time and money.

Jensensg55 in Saint Helens, Oregon

21 months ago

Also I would not go to these private schools. They rush you through and they just want the money. I would go to a community college where they take more time and even give you some credit. These private schools are terrible and a waste unless you have had previous experience and you pretty much know your stuff anyway and you just want to get certified in a hurry but if you enjoy learning at a decent pace and don't like being rushed DO NOT go to these private schools.

cna bob in Bailey, North Carolina

13 months ago

Jensensg55 in Saint Helens, Oregon said: I took a CNA course, got certified and 57. The head nurse was rumored to have said I was too old. ( mind you , I swam a mile and walked 8) It has now been 7 months since I have been certified and I have gone on at least 40 interviews. Not a one hired me. They said it was my lack of experience and if it was my age they didn't say why. I would say become a caregiver first so you get some experience and then take the class and maybe even sometime a long term care facility will pay the tuition for you and you haven't lost anything. But as for me and my situation I see it as a total waste of time and money.

cna

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

cna bob in Bailey, North Carolina

13 months ago

I am 63 just started my first cna job, it is a twelve hour shift, I truly do not know if I can survive. If anyone has suggestions, please let me know

Robin WIggins in Sevierville, Tennessee

11 months ago

ticketyboo in Bridgeport, Connecticut said: I would appreciate some honest opinions. I have been unemployed for a year now and there are no jobs in my area. There seem to be plenty of opportunities for CNA 's. I am 59 and in perfect health . I have looked at the training materials and it looks doable. Heavy lifting might be an issue. Light lifting O.K. Do you think I am too old to consider going back to school? Thanks

Hi Bridgeport! A Big No! Never too late to go back to earning a higher education for bettering yourself. I just turned 50 and I have my CNA for over 15 years total and I am not even meeting my needs as a single lady. To be honest, I am just plain FED UP so my advice is do some classes start slow and increase example:get certification then go for associates. I have worked in the Home Health which could benefit you immensely since it usually is very flexible and doesn't require you to do heavy lifting. I like the flexibility and the fact that you are more of your own boss. It is difficult to find one with full time but not impossible as I had several full time positions and I made more an hour verses working at my local hospital. So you call the shots and best wishes to you.

Bevel in Memphis, Tennessee

10 months ago

Hi Robin, Bev here...

One option you may want to consider if it is possible, is to get your RN training instead. However, if you are not able to do that and would like to start from the bottom step which is the CNA level. I would like to encourage by assuring you, you are definitely not too old. I know many CNA's your age working today as great CNA's!

There are several options you can consider once you have your CNA certificate as an older or mature person; Such as private duty nursing, working in the hospitals in the nursery or in the OB dept. Some hospitals even have pysch units in which you are considered a Tech and they will train you due to state regulations. As a tech on most behavioral units, the work load is lighter and no comparison to the nursing home. Well, I could go on and on brainstorming the many ways to work this at your age but I'll stop here.

By the way, check out my blog and I will address any questions anyone have about becoming, being or furthering your education as a CNA. Here is my wordpress blog you can check out and please hit "Follow" so you can catch up on the latest and get your questions answered by someone who will tell you like it is.

Follow Me Here On My Blog: wp.me/3KVRw

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

nurse101 in Minneapolis, Minnesota

9 months ago

never too late to do anything especially if you have passion and driven if you see it, seek it and achieve it,, best wishes

Liz in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

8 months ago

nurse101 in Minneapolis, Minnesota said: never too late to do anything especially if you have passion and driven if you see it, seek it and achieve it,, best wishes

Completely agree with you here. It's never too late to do anything.

Dontbelieveit in Crazyhorse, Indiana

8 months ago

cna bob in Bailey, North Carolina said: I am 63 just started my first cna job, it is a twelve hour shift, I truly do not know if I can survive. If anyone has suggestions, please let me know

When you went to school, no one talked about shift work?
Medicine is both physically and mentally demanding. I think sometimes, they tell people things like this, but they don't really explain it, because everyone says their job is hard...

Johanna in Ontario, California

4 months ago

Dontbelieveit in Crazyhorse, Indiana said: When you went to school, no one talked about shift work?
Medicine is both physically and mentally demanding. I think sometimes, they tell people things like this, but they don't really explain it, because everyone says their job is hard...

True what you have said. It is not necessarily an age thing.Some people can't do nights for example. Are you physically fit, adequately hydrated, eating healthy, getting enough sleep and rest along with having methods while on and off duty to cope with stress ? If yes to all these questions then maybe 12 hours are not a good fit for you. If you have to leave your current job, plan well. Tell your potential employer you need different hours. Don't say you could not handle the shift because the employer mau think maybe you just cannot handle the work.

Sharen in Brockton, Massachusetts

3 months ago

Jensensg55 in Saint Helens, Oregon said: I took a CNA course, got certified and 57. The head nurse was rumored to have said I was too old. ( mind you , I swam a mile and walked 8) It has now been 7 months since I have been certified and I have gone on at least 40 interviews. Not a one hired me. They said it was my lack of experience and if it was my age they didn't say why. I would say become a caregiver first so you get some experience and then take the class and maybe even sometime a long term care facility will pay the tuition for you and you haven't lost anything. But as for me and my situation I see it as a total waste of time and money.

I'm 57 yrs and a Home Health Aide. I have some experience, but no one has hired me in years. Finally, I got a job for 2 hours per week. I'm applying to more agencies. I agree, I feel that employers use age discrimination against you even if you have good health as they know you don't have the energy of someone younger. They will hire the younger worker, always. As soon as you fill out the CORI report, they find out your age. Also, employers today want experienced only. Maybe Medical Asst or LPN would be better. Then there's the cost of that, too. But am wondering if I would still be able to get a job if I'm a Med Asst. If I could do LPN, I surely would cuz I don't think they would care about your age. But you do need that experience from being a CNA to help you learn the skills of LPN. Not sure what to do. Also, at our age, we don't need loans to pay back.

Sharen in Brockton, Massachusetts

3 months ago

Sharen in Brockton, Massachusetts said: I'm 57 yrs and a Home Health Aide. I have some experience, but no one has hired me in years. Finally, I got a job for 2 hours per week. I'm applying to more agencies. I agree, I feel that employers use age discrimination against you even if you have good health as they know you don't have the energy of someone younger. They will hire the younger worker, always. As soon as you fill out the CORI report, they find out your age. Also, employers today want experienced only. Maybe Medical Asst or LPN would be better. Then there's the cost of that, too. But am wondering if I would still be able to get a job if I'm a Med Asst. If I could do LPN, I surely would cuz I don't think they would care about your age. But you do need that experience from being a CNA to help you learn the skills of LPN. Not sure what to do. Also, at our age, we don't need loans to pay back.

Also, I think we need to ask potential employers how they feel about what age is being too old to becoming a new CNA.

cindyoh in Dayton, Ohio

3 months ago

Sorry to see the "too old" attitude. I got a CNA a year ago in preparation for not being able to transcribe anymore. Well, I'm still working my transcription job. I visited my sister on her job at a nursing home/Alzheimer's specialty place, and I believe they would have hired me on the spot even without the nursing certificate, they need help so bad. I'm still hoping my age of almost 60 won't hold me back when I do lose the transcription. I'd work any shift - except now my mom lives with me and maybe I won't have to worry anyway. Her lawyer said we could draw up a contract and mom could pay me the going rate for a CNA around here. I'm fortunate mom does have money to pay me. Otherwise, I will have to find somebody to watch her while I go get a job outside my home. Nope, people are age would be GREAT for this job as long as we aren't trying to lift too much without help.

kat in Chickasha, Oklahoma

3 months ago

Johanna in Ontario, California said: True what you have said. It is not necessarily an age thing.Some people can't do nights for example. Are you physically fit, adequately hydrated, eating healthy, getting enough sleep and rest along with having methods while on and off duty to cope with stress ? If yes to all these questions then maybe 12 hours are not a good fit for you. If you have to leave your current job, plan well. Tell your potential employer you need different hours. Don't say you could not handle the shift because the employer mau think maybe you just cannot handle the work.

Home health with non-lifting is ok for the over 50 crowd. Many agencies are going to the 12 hour shift. I have known women in their 60's that quit because they don't want to work long shifts. This is still a low wage job and not one to support a family on. Home health will disappear in the future, unless the government will foot the bill. Fewer people can afford it.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.