CNA skills and written test...what is involved

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 261)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

alisaalthaus@verizon.net in Muskegon, Michigan

66 months ago

I took the tests on Monday (feb 2) in Indiana and passed. Thank goodness. I did not get help from the instructor as he was fired from teaching. I went online through YouTube (put in CNA skills and you will come up with a bunch of examples) and thru deptets.fvtc.edu/nursing/ They have several video lessons you can download. The written test involves 100 multiple choice questions. You are allowed 20 wrong answers before you fail. They do not give you the score, just if you passed or failed. You then take the skills test. I was told to pick from a series of cards. Each card had 5 skills. It began with the first skill, handwashing, which everyone must do. Mine went into sitting the person on the edge of the bed, then to walking with walker, taking to the bathroom, and gloves. Each skill went into another skill. It had to be done in this order. I also get 3 chances to "screw up". This meant that if the examiner had to do any cueing, that was considered a "screw up". (ie) I forgot to put the handle to the bed back in the original position. She asked me do I see any safety issues and I caught my mistake. Unfortunately, I then had 2 more chances. This examiner was very safety minded. The best way to go thru the skills test is to talk it thru out loud while you are doing it. I was able to catch myself on any mistakes before she caught them. And, make sure that what you are being taught is correct. I was taught on handwashing to pull off a piece of papertowel, turn on the water and lay the papertowel on the counter. After using a separate papertowel to dry your hands, you can pick up the original towel and throw it away. That was incorrect and I was caught on that. No wonder the instructor was fired. Above all, think about draping, knocking before you enter and the call light.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (337) / No (31) Reply - Report abuse

dobice in Kansas City, Missouri

65 months ago

I am trying to find a web sight that offers a free example of the C.N.A test on lone.Does anyone know of any.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (664) / No (86) Reply - Report abuse

army05 in Seattle, Washington

65 months ago

dobice in Kansas City, Missouri said: I am trying to find a web sight that offers a free example of the C.N.A test on lone.Does anyone know of any.

medprep.com...I took my course there and the owner and instructer are amazing. anyways they have a practice written test on their site.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (69) / No (29) Reply - Report abuse

abukmajok in High Point, North Carolina

60 months ago

i need same help with reading exame

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (38) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

jhunchelle1995 in Waukegan, Illinois

59 months ago

I am so happy that I passed my State Board exam for CNA. I am now working as a Certified Nurse Assistant. You really need to focus and study hard. So if you are really serious about going into Nursing then you better hav time and patients to study and be able to pass the state board exam.. I will all the new incoming CNA and good luck .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (60) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

sandy in Stockton, California

59 months ago

alisaalthaus@verizon.net in Muskegon, Michigan said: I took the tests on Monday (feb 2) in Indiana and passed. Thank goodness. I did not get help from the instructor as he was fired from teaching. I went online through YouTube (put in CNA skills and you will come up with a bunch of examples) and thru deptets.fvtc.edu/nursing/ They have several video lessons you can download. The written test involves 100 multiple choice questions. You are allowed 20 wrong answers before you fail. They do not give you the score, just if you passed or failed. You then take the skills test. I was told to pick from a series of cards. Each card had 5 skills. It began with the first skill, handwashing, which everyone must do. Mine went into sitting the person on the edge of the bed, then to walking with walker, taking to the bathroom, and gloves. Each skill went into another skill. It had to be done in this order. I also get 3 chances to "screw up". This meant that if the examiner had to do any cueing, that was considered a "screw up". (ie) I forgot to put the handle to the bed back in the original position. She asked me do I see any safety issues and I caught my mistake. Unfortunately, I then had 2 more chances. This examiner was very safety minded. The best way to go thru the skills test is to talk it thru out loud while you are doing it. I was able to catch myself on any mistakes before she caught them. And, make sure that what you are being taught is correct. I was taught on handwashing to pull off a piece of papertowel, turn on the water and lay the papertowel on the counter. After using a separate papertowel to dry your hands, you can pick up the original towel and throw it away. That was incorrect and I was caught on that. No wonder the instructor was fired. Above all, think about draping, knocking before you enter and the call light.

what was wrong with picking up the 1st papertowell with the second paper towell ?/

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

sandy in Stockton, California

59 months ago

army05 in Seattle, Washington said: medprep.com...I took my course there and the owner and instructer are amazing. anyways they have a practice written test on their site.

i dont see where they have a practice test.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

Lorraine in Toledo, Ohio

59 months ago

I failed the written part. I now know "tell the nurse" meant 'GO tell the nurse'. For example: Mr Smith only ate some of his eggs & none of his juice, what would you do? a)yell at him b)make him eat it c)note how much he ate d) tell the nurse. I would note how much he ate & mark it down in order to tell the nurse.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (114) / No (32) Reply - Report abuse

bridges in Lehigh Acres, Florida

58 months ago

yes i just passed here in florida dont be nervous or it will cost you cause if you mess up you will have to pay again for that skill like i did

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Dianna in League City, Texas

57 months ago

bridges in Lehigh Acres, Florida said: yes i just passed here in florida dont be nervous or it will cost you cause if you mess up you will have to pay again for that skill like i did

Well, I am going to study hard and pray that my nervous
will not get the best of me. Thanks for your concern. If I
fail I will just try again. This is very important to me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

ladyfeb in hollysprings, North Carolina

57 months ago

I passed both exams and now i am applying for a job..i have the compassion and devotion to help sick elderly and children...some people say that i have this gifted hands when it comes to caring..called ''touch therapy'..it feels good everytime i see my patient slowly recovering from illness..''you know''.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Kristen in Midland, Michigan

57 months ago

I took my CNA skills and written test on October 27th I passed:) Thank you for your warm wishes...staying calm did'nt help me I was nervous the whole time...but really if you do the things you were taught and remember to knock before u enter, introduce yourself and explain what you will be doing, wash your hands, and gather your supplies...you will do fine. Youtube does have a good Passive ROM video to study. Good Luck everyone and best wishes and luck to you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

ladyfeb

57 months ago

Hi Candy,

Are you working now as CNA? Goodluck to you. I am still applying for a job as CNA here in North Carolina, I lived in Holly Springs. I sent resume to different facilities that in need of CNA. As i heard there's a huge of applicant for the position.I am still hoping that one of this days i can recieve a good news from them.

And to all the members here in this forum,Wish you all good luck and God bless!!

Thanks to this site and all the members here..this helps a lot!!
Keep up the Good Work!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Marie-Edwige in Jacksonville, North Carolina

57 months ago

I took my state exam at Michigan and passed it. but shortly after I moved in North carolina for personal raison and they asked me to take the exam again. I'm so afraid because the 1st time I did great but I almost passed out so I was scared. I'm still afraid. help me get rid of the anxiety! thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

africkgal

57 months ago

Am taking my CNA skilled and written tommorow here in Ia and am so nervous pray for me i pass.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

bridges in Lehigh Acres, Florida

57 months ago

have faith

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

April in Zion, Illinois

57 months ago

As for me I passed my CNA back in March of 2009 the first time and it was really nerve recking heheeheh but I did it..and now working as a CNA...here in a nursing home here in beach park il.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

sweetmelody in North Fort Myers, Florida

56 months ago

dobice in Kansas City, Missouri said: I am trying to find a web sight that offers a free example of the C.N.A test on lone.Does anyone know of any.

go to youtube than type the state your taking test at. like mine is florida cna video. I am going to take the real test. there you will find acna sample test try taking as much as you can. you'll find many of them if you do some search. good luck. and will be praying for you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

glory in Punta Gorda, Florida

56 months ago

i passed i just got a job today i you can also go to advanza.com and get the veido for about 50.00 buck and you will pass

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

sheila in Cartersville, Georgia

56 months ago

bridges in Lehigh Acres, Florida said: for the written test there was 60 question here in florida i dont know about other olaces and the you need to show the instructor the shills it not hard

do you remember what the questions were I need help on passing my written test. thank you sheila.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No Reply - Report abuse

glory in Fort Myers, Florida

55 months ago

well here in florida it was something like this what would you do in different situation if you saw ms jones on the floor and it was time for you to leave for the day what will you do help ms jones are tell the other coworker to get her and of course you will help her befor you leave but you wont get her off the floor cause you dont know if she injury herself so you would call for help and let the nurse in charge decide i hope that will give you some idea hope that help .............. god bless you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No Reply - Report abuse

55 months ago

Thank you for that comment. I am so worried about that written test that I try to talk to someone who has had experience with the test Thank you so much for responding back.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

flaglerrose34@yahoo.com in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

55 months ago

HELLO THIS IS MY LAST TIME TAKING THE CNA WRITTEN TEST. I HAVE TOOK IT TWO TIMES AND FAILED IT. CAN SOMEONE TELL ME WHERE I CAN FIND SAMPLE TESTS ON THE INTERNET. THANK U PRAY FOR ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (112) / No (26) Reply - Report abuse

55 months ago

glory in Punta Gorda, Florida said: i passed i just got a job today i you can also go to advanza.com and get the veido for about 50.00 buck and you will pass

I also got that information. now do you have to returned it. because it said something about dead line for returning video. so this is why i did'nt order it. and i really can use it right now but did'nt know exactly if i can keep it or have to returned please email me back thank you. have anice new year.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

55 months ago

flaglerrose34@yahoo.com in Fort Lauderdale, Florida said: HELLO THIS IS MY LAST TIME TAKING THE CNA WRITTEN TEST. I HAVE TOOK IT TWO TIMES AND FAILED IT. CAN SOMEONE TELL ME WHERE I CAN FIND SAMPLE TESTS ON THE INTERNET. THANK U PRAY FOR ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

listen take a deep breath. the questions are common sence. if you have a tricky one get the one that you must keep patients out of danger. you have to risk you self to save patient. and to avoid injury you have to know what should be next best answer like if patient is dizzy you drop with her to the floor easy. if fire in house get them out. if patient is lonely keep company and make them feel good. stay positive. don't let your mind wonder around and let the best take over you. you can do it. believe me it's all about you nerves. practices practices practices. good luck and tell me how did u do. okay i will pray for you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

55 months ago

google CNA Practice Test or this one Nursing Asistance Sample Test try those. okay good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

Thank you for responding back about the test I took the test and I passed also thank you again god bless you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Jennifer in Chicago, Illinois

54 months ago

I got this Nursing assistant book from the library to study that has 84 skills in it. Im not in school yet, it starts at the end of next month. I started studying it learned the first 7 so far. But I was wondering. The class is only 3 weeks long, can a person really learn all 84 skills? Some of the skills I studied so far and remember are: handwashing, Applying personal protective equipment,removing PPE, Serving a meal in a isolation unit, measuring vital signs in a isolation unit, transferring nondisposable equipment outside of an isolation unit, Specimen collection from a patient in a isolation unit. All the skills about isolation unit, I cant find on the internet. Should I continue to study this book or wait till I get the class workbooks?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

glorybridges@yahoo.com in Fort Myers, Florida

54 months ago

honey i dont know what you are studing but the skills test is only 24 skills you gotot know

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

Rose4526 in crown Point, Indiana said: Wow, only 24. I am going to go for CNA and like I said I went ahead and went to the library and got a Nursing Assistant book and this book has 84 skills in it. Can anyone tell me what skills there are? Im going to go to the school in a little while and sign up. I wonder if she will give me my books now or the first day of class.

you have to check on youtube than type your state like this. florida cna skill video or cna video skill. and yes you can challenge it. that is what I am doing. I am just doing it for 1 hr or 2 or 3 hrs. awk. and go home and study than director gives mean study exam . the first one I fail. second i got 75 3rd I got 97 and so far i kept it up. so you can do it. and order the cd. company's name avansa. if you need exact name let me know ok. measuring urine bag. change occupied bed, shampoo hair. nail care. mouthwash, denture cleaning. trasfer patient from bed to wheel chair using gait belt. bed bath with patient on bed, range of motion keen and ankel. range motion right shoulder. measuring, respiration and temperture. measuring blood pressure. changing patient to her side.how to put on gloves . hand washing . put sock on . dressing patient. i have to look back on the other 4. write back okay

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

glorybridges@yahoo.com in Cape Coral, Florida

54 months ago

shes right

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

what skill did you have tell me then ill be able to help you or you ....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

sheila in Cartersville, Georgia said: do you remember what the questions were I need help on passing my written test. thank you sheila.

what is the nurses aide to do if there is a resident in the bathroom and is calling you for assistance and you just got to work and your doing your rounds. do you keep doing you round or help the resident that need assistance in the bathroom. help the resident remember. also if you walk in the room and you see one of the resident laying down on the floor. what would you do run get help or call the charge nurse. or stay with the resident and yell out for help. or check to his or her vital signs. of couse is stay with the resident yell out for help and . i pass the written test but not the physical. i did'nt know that i had to fold the cloth inform of amitten. i don't know how in the world can you wash someone face hands neck and arms and chest just flipping the cloth over when it's dirty. i was told that we could complaint to them about this because this is real terrible. i would'nt want no one to wipe me if i have sensitive skin and rubbing the cloth on me when cloth is so thick. around me. what do you think

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

flaglerrose34@yahoo.com in Fort Lauderdale, Florida said: HELLO THIS IS MY LAST TIME TAKING THE CNA WRITTEN TEST. I HAVE TOOK IT TWO TIMES AND FAILED IT. CAN SOMEONE TELL ME WHERE I CAN FIND SAMPLE TESTS ON THE INTERNET. THANK U PRAY FOR ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

it's call avansa. go to www.prometric.com the would let you borough the cd for 58.00 and then you would have to send it back to them within seven day. you will get your 50.00 back into your account. are you challenging it. or did you go to school for the course. it's terrible when no one would try to help you. what part did you fail on. i fail on partial bed bath. or you can go to youtube and then enter on the search area. cna video skills. you will see alot of them pick the ones that looks decent. okay and tell me how it went for you will be praying for you. ok.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

sherry in Cartersville, Georgia

54 months ago

I hope you pass it next time good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

I never did use soap at the face area . i use soap at the neck and hand and arm and armpit. but she wants me to use enough soap like if i was bathin a real person. did you have to for the wash cloth in a mitten form?

febs in Apex, North Carolina

54 months ago

Hi im febie i am working by now as a CNA.Like you i did took and passed the CNA exam., and now i been working with a stroke survivor patient ..When you give bath to a patient particularly bed bath you need to do bath mitt it is just simple and better..roll straight (pointing down position)on your four fingers while the thumb will hold it in place then fold and clip the lower oart of cloth inside the bathcloth (palm) to hold in place.then you had a bath mitt that's easy. From face dont use soap..You have to wash first the eyepart away from you then next the eye that near from you with the other side of the bath mitt.
Use soap only on the body part including the upper and lower limb..just always remember farthest part first then closer part,one for bath mitt for soap and another bath mitt for rinsing.Do not use the same side of bath mitt when washing other part of the body or face..follow my Tips and you will be fine.

In perenial care you need to change another water and clean bath mitt.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

no florida skills are different

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

but she wants me to fold the wash cloth in form of a mitt.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

dont know about aim im on yahoo

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

sometimes the state instructer said to me it doesnt have to be folded. so I would not worry. you will do great good luck god bless you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

No you dont have too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

your right. anyways thank you for answering me back .

54 months ago

glorybridges@yahoo.com in Cape Coral, Florida said: dont know about aim im on yahoo

you know that screen that u pop up when you just want the chat back and forth. do you have it? well thats the one i am talking about. well if i find mine i will invite you if thats okay with you. thanks for answering back. oh my next appointment is on 3/11/2010 at 3pm i have to do this. everyone please pray for me please. my husband is ill and my 2 girls need me now more than ever. just keep me in your daily prayer guys. thank you and god bless you all the same.

candy in Fayetteville, North Carolina

54 months ago

THE TEST IS SIMPLE AND EASY BE RELAXED AND PATIENT AND FIRST ANSWRES ARE ALWAYS RIGHT WE WILL KEEP YOU IN PRAYER FOR YOU AND FAMILY.GOD BLESS

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

I already took the test and pass it but fail the skill test. bed bath. i did'nt fold the wash cloth in form of amitten. thank you for your prayers. i really need it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

nking in Murphysboro, Illinois

54 months ago

I am worried for this country when the people taking this test can not even, use english in the correct format, "like you I did took my test" should be "take" and I have seen this several times using the word took. Sorry to complain but I have family in a Nursing home and I would hate to think someone got lucky and passes their CNA program.
I will tell you this is not a hard exam or skills test it just takes study and the ability to retain a small amount of information. If you can not pass the test the first time or you struggle through the class tests and the skills portion, I have one suggestion, Wal Mart is always hiring stay out of the Health industry, peoples lives are at stake.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (46) Reply - Report abuse

febs in Holly Springs, North Carolina

54 months ago

Ang yabang mo ha..Anyways were not here to judge or look for anybody's mistake..it just a matter of mistyping...maybe its a big deal for somebody there..Inking of Illinois..oh well anyways..nobody is perfect! sorry i forgot to edit the comment that i've sent here..i forgot to erased the ''did''. i should say ''Like you i took the CNA test and both passed''I used TOOK coz I've already done the test..so pastense of take is took. Am i rigth? take is referring to present tense means ''going to take''.taking is ''during'', and took is ''past''.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

joyel23 in Troy, Michigan

54 months ago

You're boastful nking. Something is wrong with you. Yabang ka talaga! At least, the teachers in our class are proud of us. I guess you are just jealous type of person. You know what it's not about being lucky to pass the exam. There are a lot of people who tried very hard reading and studying their books but never pass the state exam. So if i were you, just shut up. And, stop complaining. I hate people like you. You feel like your a perfect person. Well, if you are really intellegent then you better take a law. lol!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

febs in Holly Springs, North Carolina

54 months ago

hehehe, yes! may kababayan pala ako dito..oo nga grabe yabang sya..mukhang masungit pa..akala mo kung sinong matalino noh?!KSP kulang sa pansin..Masyadong mapagmaliit...mukhang antipatika.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.