recent grad can't get a cna job anywhere!!!!!

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 97)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Chris

73 months ago

Just graduated and passed my exam june 1st for cna, finally got my cna license number 2 months later. I have had absolutely no luck getting a cna job in Az, everyone tells me i need experience how do i get experience if noone will hire me!!! Its quite frustrating because my class mislead me and said once you get your cna license it will be real easy to get a job, totally not true!! Anyone in Az have this same problem or anywhere else forthat matter any advice?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (96) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Karen

73 months ago

Maybe volunteer someplace to get your experience. Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (27) Reply - Report abuse

lyn in Lexington, Illinois

73 months ago

Chris said: Just graduated and passed my exam june 1st for cna, finally got my cna license number 2 months later. I have had absolutely no luck getting a cna job in Az, everyone tells me i need experience how do i get experience if noone will hire me!!! Its quite frustrating because my class mislead me and said once you get your cna license it will be real easy to get a job, totally not true!! Anyone in Az have this same problem or anywhere else forthat matter any advice?

You have to be patient but persistent nursing homes are a good start and you will work hard but try to stay with it because it is a very rewarding and much needed. good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

shay in Denver, Colorado

73 months ago

Chris said: Just graduated and passed my exam june 1st for cna, finally got my cna license number 2 months later. I have had absolutely no luck getting a cna job in Az, everyone tells me i need experience how do i get experience if noone will hire me!!! Its quite frustrating because my class mislead me and said once you get your cna license it will be real easy to get a job, totally not true!! Anyone in Az have this same problem or anywhere else forthat matter any advice?

I know how u feel, i just graduated and passed my exam june 25 for cna,got my license and had no luck getting a cna job here in denver,same thing here they need 1 or more year experience,its really frustrating.Hope you find a cna job in AZ soon,cos here in Denver i don't think i can find a cna job not soon,good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

LYN in Highland, Illinois

73 months ago

Ok so you can't get a job but the reality is that you can you have to be creative instead of starting out as a cna look maybe at helping pass food trays it's about gettng your foot in the door than work up the ladder-cna work is about helping people have you helped your grandma or grandpa with different tasks? Have you had to take care of someone sick? That's your experince life experinces and that's what you say in your interview-do you volunteer?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Sheena in Manchester, Connecticut

72 months ago

I understand the feeling I have had mine for a year now and cant get a na job I currently work for a agency as a home health aid.been doing that for a year.Hospitals tell me that being a hha(home health aid) isnt counted as a cna job even know you do exactly the same thing just in peoples home.The pay sucks but you have to start somewhere.....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

lynn in Warrenville, Illinois

72 months ago

Do you have references from past employers? Are you dependable? Work anyshift?Get along with people of all ages? CNA is very physical work. I say just keep positive get a reference from your present employer if you want it bad enough you'll get in.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

lynn in Chicago, Illinois

71 months ago

Please take time to check your spelling if your lazy about it than it will show in other areas to. CNA's do have to chart-just take time and check what you do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (29) Reply - Report abuse

trina in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

71 months ago

i just finished school on 8-29-08 took my exams on 10-1-08 and is currently waiting on my license, i do have a nh (nursing home) who wants to hire me but they say that i need my cert before they can even interview me where do i look online to find my license number.I went to nurse registry.com like i was told and the only thing that comes up is about going to schoolfor nursing is there anybody that can help in locating this information, iI know at least with the number I can start looking for work. Oh and good luck to all of you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Rose in Kingston, Jamaica

71 months ago

Can some oen who has just passed their CNA and obtained their state licence advise on the job market Raleigh.... were you able to get a CNA Job

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Rose in Kingston, Jamaica

71 months ago

I Meant "The job Market for CNAS in Raleigh, North Carolina.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

shay denver in Denver, Colorado

71 months ago

Thank you Trina in Philadelphia for your comment it was very helpful am crossing my fingers now =) wish me luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

trina in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

71 months ago

shay denver in Denver, Colorado said: Thank you Trina in Philadelphia for your comment it was very helpful am crossing my fingers now =) wish me luck.

your welcome shay, and goo luck!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Amy in Mesa, Arizona

69 months ago

Hi Chris, sorry to hear of the difficult time finding work. I was considering taking the CNA course and cannot even locate a school that offers it. They keep pushing the "medical assistant" course. Could you tell me where you took your class?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

tennille (cna) in Chicago, Illinois

69 months ago

I have been a cna for the last 10yrs and it is hard to find a job,but still with it and all of you will find a job soon. pray, that also helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Smileyt in Springfield, Illinois

68 months ago

Looking to hire a cna for assistance in my home. 6 hrs per day. Lifting abilities required. Phone and transportation necessay as well

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

looking bleak i tell ya in Pueblo, Colorado

68 months ago

Im in the same boat except i was an at home mom for alot of years. my job history looks bleak. divorce forced me to look for employment but NO ONE WOULD HIRE ME so social services had a training program for ppl like me ( foodstamps & Medicaid) they actually paid for my CNA training it is considered a "high demand" job( yeah right) but I STILL CANT GET A JOB!!!! i have applied EVERYWHERE!! now they say if i dont have a job by feb 11 i will be forced to volunteer hours to work off my foodstamps..hey good program idea BUT I NEED MONEY TO PAY RENT nnot just food stamps ..i dont get cash assistance. IS IT THE ECONOMY? IS THAT WHY EVEN IN THE MED FIELD I CANT GET HIRED CONCERNED AND CURIOUS

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

mindy in Kittanning, Pennsylvania

67 months ago

im trying to change my adress with the registry in Pittsburgh. cant find their address anywhere. can sumone help me?

thank you

Ms Mia,Cna in Middleton, Wisconsin

67 months ago

trina in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: i just finished school on 8-29-08 took my exams on 10-1-08 and is currently waiting on my license, i do have a nh (nursing home) who wants to hire me but they say that i need my cert before they can even interview me where do i look online to find my license number.I went to nurse registry.com like i was told and the only thing that comes up is about going to schoolfor nursing is there anybody that can help in locating this information, iI know at least with the number I can start looking for work. Oh and good luck to all of you[/QUOTE
Hello Im a Cna and have been since 2006 I was lucky enough to take my classes at a nursing home for 3 weeks for free in Indiana and got hired through the nursing home that taught the classes. Im not sure what name your state goes under for finding your cna license number but contact any nursing home in your city and ask for the number to contact state and explain your situation to them that you are trying to start a new job and need your cna license number or better yet the place that is suppose to hire you ask them for the number to state but they may run your number on the website for state they may pull you up by name or social security number or your cna number(which you need to have I know) so dont let them pull that one on you I use to live in indiana and moved to wisconsin by transfering my license its not hard it just appears hard because you dont know what to ask or who to ask thats all you will find a job just hang in there until then work somewhere else I hope this helps

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ms Mia,Cna,Cma(N.H, CBRF) in Middleton, Wisconsin

67 months ago

mindy in Kittanning, Pennsylvania said: im trying to change my adress with the registry in Pittsburgh. cant find their address anywhere. can sumone help me?

thank you

contact any nursing home they have the number to state and go from there explain your situation when you call. if you have a certificate it may be on there but, if you dont (because some states like illinois does not give you a certicate your just on the registry). Just talk to the nursing home and get the information from there good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

yturner_86

66 months ago

I am going through the same thing!! I was mislead as well. All I wanted to do was get certified and work in afacility but where did I end up? Back in school to become a Medical Assistant. I probably will need experience for that too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Arianna in Riverside, New Jersey

66 months ago

trina in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: i just finished school on 8-29-08 took my exams on 10-1-08 and is currently waiting on my license, i do have a nh (nursing home) who wants to hire me but they say that i need my cert before they can even interview me where do i look online to find my license number.I went to nurse registry.com like i was told and the only thing that comes up is about going to schoolfor nursing is there anybody that can help in locating this information, iI know at least with the number I can start looking for work. Oh and good luck to all of you

Go to www.cnatips.com and select CNA Registry from menu, then choose Pennsylvannia. That will give u a link to go directly to PA Nurse Aide Registry and that's where u check your certificate. Your potential employer will check using the same web site.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

weiler in Henderson, Nevada

66 months ago

also try Puremedicaljobsdotcom good luck

ydavis@128@yahoo.com in Lawrenceville, Georgia

65 months ago

have you tried applying at all the hospice centers and the assisted living centers?

Joy in Baltimore, Maryland

64 months ago

You should count your blessings that you haven't found a job yet. Nursing home work is really hard and a thankless jobs. The nurses are lazy and the administrative staff are bunch of idiots. I'm working at a nursing home right now and I can't wait until I get my physical therapy assistant license to start working. It can't happen fast enough.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Tanya in Fort Atkinson, Wisconsin

63 months ago

Joy in Baltimore, Maryland said: You should count your blessings that you haven't found a job yet. Nursing home work is really hard and a thankless jobs. The nurses are lazy and the administrative staff are bunch of idiots. I'm working at a nursing home right now and I can't wait until I get my physical therapy assistant license to start working. It can't happen fast enough.

Wow I have beed working as a CNA for 13 years and have worked in man different places, and yes it is a hard job and yes sometimes you do work with lazy nurses but your attitude sucks!! It is not a "thankless" job, Not everyone is cut out to do this kind of work you have to really care about others and want to help people even if they don't always seem thankful! I have worked with people like you and they never make it maybe you should look for a job that does not involve taking care of there people by the way working in physical therapy is just as hard!!!!! You are the kind of person that I would not want to take care of one of my family members!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

busybeehive99@yahoo.com in Phoenix, Arizona

62 months ago

Yes Ive just finished getting my license 4 months ago, ive applied every place of could find and no one would hire me, and I was misled by my school to, with claims that it is easy to find a job, thats not true, ive been told by everyone place that i also need experience, and that home health care which is tough jobs doesnt count, ive even had contact and references in hopital contacts and I still cant get hired, I feel that I have wasted my time and have been misled.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

nikkisue in Phoenix, Arizona

62 months ago

Nursing homes will hire you...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Ida in Ballinger, Texas

62 months ago

I used to work as a CNA back in the early 90s. It was real easy to get a job back then. Did something change? My certificate expired. I am thinking of renewing it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mimi in Visalia, California

62 months ago

lynn in Chicago, Illinois said: Please take time to check your spelling if your lazy about it than it will show in other areas to. CNA's do have to chart-just take time and check what you do.

YOU'RE....THEN....TOO.
DON'T THROW STONES DEAR ;0)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Sharpie in Brentwood, Tennessee

62 months ago

I don't know. This (geographical) area is absolutely terrible for jobs in general, but MANY places indicate that they are hiring CNA's. I have had several employers tell me this specifically; in fact, I have literally had them say to me, "If you only had a CNA license, we could hire you for a job right now." I can sympathize, but I do just have to wonder if people have really checked everywhere and are willing to do anything in a work environment that may not be ideal, or for a salary that may not be the best. Is the real problem that your standards are too high right now? A lot of us cannot afford to keep the bar up there at the present time, and we're going to have to face that fact.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

mim in Seattle, Washington

62 months ago

hi! is anybody knows how to find a CNA job in seattle. Thanks! see you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

oceans47

61 months ago

Hello. That certainly does sound frustrating. In case you are interested in employment other than in a medical business setting, I am responding to this post. I am looking for a licensed CNA to provide home care to my father, age 93 in his and my Mother's home in Mesa, Arizona. Pleasant place to work - pleasant people. If you are interested, or anyone else who is a licensed CNA is interested, please respond. We are looking for someone who is good working with the elderly. Thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

oceans47

61 months ago

Hello. I am noteing that some posts are from a month ago, but am responding anyway in case some of you CNAs in the Mesa Arizona area are looking for CNA employment in other than a medical business setting. We are looking for a licensed CNA to provide home care to my father, age 93 in his and my Mother's home in Mesa, Arizona. Pleasant place to work - pleasant people. If you are interested, or anyone else who is a licensed CNA is interested, please respond. We are looking for someone who is good working with the elderly. Thank you

Rose in Raleigh, North Carolina

61 months ago

I am l licensed and experienced Certitied Nursing Assistant and looking for employment in home care i.e. private duties in Raleigh, North Carolinafor a minimum of forty (40) hours per week. Anyone knows of or requires such service please advise me. I enjoy working with people of all ages.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Sharpie in Antioch, Tennessee

61 months ago

I am 2 weeks away from graduating, and there are so many jobs in this area for CNA's if you are willing to work somewhere other than a hospital. SO many LTC, rehab, HHC jobs. I really don't get it. Is it just the area you're in, or what? We have some of the absolute worst unemployment in the country here, so that is a little hard to believe.

angelface98002@yahoo.com in Seattle, Washington

61 months ago

mim in Seattle, Washington said: hi! is anybody knows how to find a CNA job in seattle. Thanks! see you

Hey if you can find a CNA job in Seattle let me know...but i do know of a few that may hire you...Queen Anne Health Care, Seattle Rehab

angelface98002@yahoo.com in Seattle, Washington

61 months ago

Sharpie in Antioch, Tennessee said: I am 2 weeks away from graduating, and there are so many jobs in this area for CNA's if you are willing to work somewhere other than a hospital. SO many LTC, rehab, HHC jobs. I really don't get it. Is it just the area you're in, or what? We have some of the absolute worst unemployment in the country here, so that is a little hard to believe.

Well hospitals you have to have quite a few years and know your vitals and cpr and you will be running your asp off. The nurses at some hospitals are nasty. But to be honest..Go for the hospital one
The expierence is well worth it..could enhance your ability to become a LPN or RN. If i was younger i would have done it. take it from someone who had 3months left in the LPN program and had to leave to no money

Maia in Arrington, Tennessee

60 months ago

I think this thread is amusing itself by coming up with different cities in Tennessee I'm supposedly from, because God only knows where Arrington even is. It's Nashville. Anyway, the job situation is unspeakable here:I have over 60 applications out as a social worker and I know people who have over 100 out, also experienced social workers who have looking for a job for over a year. I got CNA training, put in an application, and got a job today. It was the easiest thing in the world. I don't understand the problems some people are having. Could it be something about that particular location?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

chloe in Wichita, Kansas

59 months ago

trina in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: i just finished school on 8-29-08 took my exams on 10-1-08 and is currently waiting on my license, i do have a nh (nursing home) who wants to hire me but they say that i need my cert before they can even interview me where do i look online to find my license number.I went to nurse registry.com like i was told and the only thing that comes up is about going to schoolfor nursing is there anybody that can help in locating this information, iI know at least with the number I can start looking for work. Oh and good luck to all of you

its nurseregistry.org

kathy in New Bedford, Massachusetts

55 months ago

yes hunny i had the same issue. my class mislead me into thinken i would snap my fingers and be hired and a lo of places do need experience.... but nothing is so easy. i ended up doing volunteer work at nursing homes and PCA work. they want you to get your hands a little wet befoe hiring you. and look up all the nursing homes in your area, my first job i had no experience and they hired me... good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Wilspe in Hinesville, Georgia

53 months ago

I just within the past 6 mos have moved here to GA i guess im kinda in the same boat,i had 2 wait til my cna certificate was transfered to here just accomplished thar about 2 weeks ago ive been working somewhere else but would like to get at the cna job are there any other georgia cnas out there who can tell me where to get started,where all can i apply,anyone know anyone whos hiring? Good websites that can help w/any aspect of a cna career?Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

mika in East Orange, New Jersey

52 months ago

sandra aka shay in Denver, Colorado said: yep i still don't have any luck getting a cna job here in denver,am working at super target now as a cashier,still hoping one of these days they'll call me for a interview (cna) its very frustrating,that no one wants to hire me because i don't have experience? well i believe i have a lot of experience ,i have a daughter and i also took care of my sick grandparents till they passed away and yes i mentioned this in my applications and yes i worked in a nursing home manor care as a kitchen aide ,,well i do believe i already had my foot in the door and have some experience,,oh well??

just wondering if you have found work since your last post

Roxy in Hartford, Connecticut

52 months ago

Matthew Rivers in Oshkosh, Wisconsin said: Possibly a grammar class may help. It's unreal the uneducated people in this world. And then they wonder why they can not get a job.

^^ and spelling too..lol

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

natasha in Miami, Florida

47 months ago

yturner_86 said: I am going through the same thing!! I was mislead as well. All I wanted to do was get certified and work in afacility but where did I end up? Back in school to become a Medical Assistant. I probably will need experience for that too.

and some states need you to be bilingual

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Katie in Seattle, Washington

46 months ago

the truth said: Karen you are a idiot! How insensitive!

How is that insensitive? She said good luck and offered a suggestion. You're the idiot.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

becky in Phoenix, Arizona

45 months ago

Ida in Ballinger, Texas said: I used to work as a CNA back in the early 90s. It was real easy to get a job back then. Did something change? My certificate expired. I am thinking of renewing it.

good luck I'm trying to do the same thing .Was a C.N.A for 12 years worked in a hospital for four years.Let my c.n.a lincese expire in 97. Also I'm a lincese massage therapist same thing happened couldn't find a job in that field either let that expire to.No one will hire you without your c.n.a lincese either not even nursing home's.Been there tried that they want that c.n.a license. All I can say is good luck it suck's!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

NicNodak in Fargo, North Dakota

45 months ago

Didn't the Facility in which you did your clinicals ask for you to put in your application? Of course it depends on what you are looking for too... not interested in skilled nursing or memory care? That is usually where the jobs are...most ppl tend not to last last too long there. It does take a special kind of ppl to do that job.

amelia in Palm Coast, Florida

45 months ago

Joy in Baltimore, Maryland said: You should count your blessings that you haven't found a job yet. Nursing home work is really hard and a thankless jobs. The nurses are lazy and the administrative staff are bunch of idiots. I'm working at a nursing home right now and I can't wait until I get my physical therapy assistant license to start working. It can't happen fast enough.

I soooo agree with you! I'm finishing OT school in 4 months, and I am so excited! I enjoyed every minute of it, even the clinical rotations. I am going to ADORE being a COTA. I absolutely HATE being a CNA. And you're right...the nurses are rude and lazy, and the administration is clueless. I should have went back to Starbucks and slung more coffee for a while, at least I would have been happy (and paid well).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

amelia in Palm Coast, Florida

45 months ago

Tanya in Fort Atkinson, Wisconsin said: Wow I have beed working as a CNA for 13 years and have worked in man different places, and yes it is a hard job and yes sometimes you do work with lazy nurses but your attitude sucks!! It is not a "thankless" job, Not everyone is cut out to do this kind of work you have to really care about others and want to help people even if they don't always seem thankful! I have worked with people like you and they never make it maybe you should look for a job that does not involve taking care of there people by the way working in physical therapy is just as hard!!!!! You are the kind of person that I would not want to take care of one of my family members!!

And you know this how? Are YOU a PT?

Typical nose-in-the-air CNA. Don't think for one minute that you're better than anyone else just because you happen to like your job. Because guess what, honey? You're not.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.