Are cnc operator job opportunities growing or declining?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

Host

Are jobs in this industry on the rise? Are there any sub-sectors that are growing?

Where are the jobs? Which places have the most cnc operator opportunities?

Reply - Report abuse

Sean in Chester, South Carolina

62 months ago

They are declining, no doubt. With the way the economy is now. It's not going to get any better. With Mechanical Engineers being trained how to CNC Program and run machines, the need for an operator or machinist is and will continue to decline until the trade is dead. It's a dying trade. I fell bad for all the people who spent years going to school for it. Myself included.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

JC in Houston, Texas

58 months ago

Sean in Chester, South Carolina said: They are declining, no doubt. With the way the economy is now. It's not going to get any better. With Mechanical Engineers being trained how to CNC Program and run machines, the need for an operator or machinist is and will continue to decline until the trade is dead. It's a dying trade. I fell bad for all the people who spent years going to school for it. Myself included.

your in the wrong state, down here In HOUSTON we get anywhere from entry level $15 and upwards of $35 an hour. So depending on your capabilities and credentials will determine your hourly rate. This economy is screwed up for a whole lot of places, but the demand for machinists over here is still top priority. As for engineers in a machine shop, that will be an area of improvement. Most of them are retiring and the need for a younger generation of engineers is in the works in the near future. The economy(Manufacturing) is picking up here in Houston. With new projects under works and my shop moving to 12 hours shifts. WE are going to rebound...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sean in Chester, South Carolina

58 months ago

JC in Houston, Texas said: your in the wrong state, down here In HOUSTON we get anywhere from entry level $15 and upwards of $35 an hour. So depending on your capabilities and credentials will determine your hourly rate. This economy is screwed up for a whole lot of places, but the demand for machinists over here is still top priority. As for engineers in a machine shop, that will be an area of improvement. Most of them are retiring and the need for a younger generation of engineers is in the works in the near future. The economy(Manufacturing) is picking up here in Houston. With new projects under works and my shop moving to 12 hours shifts. WE are going to rebound...

That's great things are good in Huston, wish I could say that about here. I however have no desire to be in the manufacturing field. I'm working to be an architect. My lifetime dream. Wish I would have stuck with it from day one out of high school.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.