What are typical cnc operator salaries?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (11)

Host

Do some companies pay a lot more for this position than others? What does a top earner make in this field?

What skills should you learn to increase your salary?

Reply - Report abuse

Ray Patterson in Salem, Oregon

94 months ago

with 14 years of various cnc machining experience, what kind of hourly rate should i look for ??
thank you very much
Ray

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (61) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

Rajesh sasi in Bombay, India

89 months ago

I AM CNC MILLING MACHINE OPERATOR AND PROGRAMMER IN MASTERCAM. I HAVE AN EXPERIENCES OF 3YEAR'S. I WANT TO KNOW WHAT SALARY I CAN GET.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (138) / No (30) Reply - Report abuse

Sean in Chester, South Carolina

74 months ago

jason in Dayton, Ohio said: I've been in the trade for 10 years. It doesn't pay what it used to in ohio you can look for 12 to 18 bucks an hour doesn't matter the experience or the degree you have. Best bet would be to get into medicle or aerospace pays a little better. It is a dying trade i don't care what anyone says if i could do it over i would get into a different trade.

That's exactly what I've been saying. It is a dying trade. With more mechanical engineers being trained with cnc programming and machining, the need for a Machinist is going way down, and will continue to do so. I wish I would have known this before I went to school for it. I have yet to be able to find a job in the field. It sucks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

jason in Dayton, Ohio

74 months ago

yes now best bet would be cdl computers or nrse im going for cdla

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jayne in Ontario, New York

73 months ago

I was making about 15$ per hour, but haven't been able to find a job in 4 months and now looking at some re-training,

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

tracie in Kelowna, British Columbia

61 months ago

jason in Dayton, Ohio said: I've been in the trade for 10 years. It doesn't pay what it used to in ohio you can look for 12 to 18 bucks an hour doesn't matter the experience or the degree you have. Best bet would be to get into medicle or aerospace pays a little better. It is a dying trade i don't care what anyone says if i could do it over i would get into a different trade.

well if you love it.....take heart it isnt much better in bc. CANADA

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

tracie in Kelowna, British Columbia

61 months ago

Sean in Chester, South Carolina said: That's exactly what I've been saying. It is a dying trade. With more mechanical engineers being trained with cnc programming and machining, the need for a Machinist is going way down, and will continue to do so. I wish I would have known this before I went to school for it. I have yet to be able to find a job in the field. It sucks.

perhaps think more about design and keeping on top pf the versatility of cnc training,

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

TomK in South Lyon, Michigan

59 months ago

Business at Moeller Manufacturing in Wixom, Michigan is booming. The company just bought a new building and new equipment and needs to hire 50 new CNC machinists to work there. www.mlive.com/michigan-job-search/index.ssf/2010/08/manufacturing_company_in_wixom_has_50_go.html

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

riverbandit4242@yahoo.com in Waukesha, Wisconsin

54 months ago

Jayne in Ontario, New York said: I was making about 15$ per hour, but haven't been able to find a job in 4 months and now looking at some re-training,

The CNC machine jobs in WI have declined dramatically.I do everything except set -up on my Mini Mill. My machine only is programed for 3 parts and once it is set -up there is no need to re position the tailstock or the index.I do all the tool changes,offset changes,checks including entering on a computer,maintenance and even drive the company truck to have my parts zinced.I also operate robotic machines at times.The bottom line is I should be making $15-not $12.I am the only reg.employee that has not been laid off in 4 years.Knowing set-up would help- be re-trained my friend.Searching myself-now

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

riverbandit4242@yahoo.com in Waukesha, Wisconsin

54 months ago

Jayne in Ontario, New York said: I was making about 15$ per hour, but haven't been able to find a job in 4 months and now looking at some re-training,

The CNC machine jobs in WI have declined dramatically.I do everything except set -up on my Mini Mill. My machine only is programed for 3 parts and once it is set -up there is no need to re position the tailstock or the index.I do all the tool changes,offset changes,checks including entering on a computer,maintenance and even drive the company truck to have my parts zinced.I also operate robotic machines at times.The bottom line is I should be making $15-not $12.I am the only reg.employee that has not been laid off in 4 years.Knowing set-up would help- be re-trained my friend.Searching myself-now

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.