How to become a cake decorator

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (14)

Been There in Evansville, Indiana

68 months ago

Without substantial sponsorship by an investor, ownership of a cake decorating company can be a hard field to break into. And, as a cake-decorating employee you are directly competing for the job with a large number of people who can and will do the job for very little salary ($4 to $6/hour).
Here's what I would do. Keep your day job so you can keep the bills paid. At the same time, find the best cake decorating company in your area--I believe that's Madame Butterfly in Babylon, right?-and go offer them 90 days of your time for free, no strings attached. Very few employers will refuse a 90 offer for free labor.
What they get: you showing up on time and always doing exactly what you're told, you volunteering for extra tasks, you going the extra mile.
What you get: free hands-on REAL WORLD training, knowledge of the entire cake decorating process, exposure to what it takes to compete against other businesses, etc, etc, etc.
If someone takes you up on your free offer, just be sure you treat the job as if you were being paid. because sooner or later you will be. If not by that employer then by another, because you will then have valuable experience. Get it? Best wishes and good luck! ;)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Rita David in London, United Kingdom

63 months ago

Hello.

My name is Rita David. I´m pastry chef. I have been working as a pastry chef my last three years in Barcelona,Spain. But I don´t have experience in Cake Decorating. So I´m looking for a intership with a Cake Decorater in London. I´m seending my CV to you. It could be part time.... Could you help me or advise me in it, please???

Thank for your atention.
Best regards.
Rita David

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

kimskakes in Aberdare, United Kingdom

55 months ago

hi,
i am a qualified cake decorator from the uk, i currently work 4 a large business but also make cakes from home, all i can suggest to you is take plenty of photos!!! every photo you have will show your skill and its a very good way of building up a portfolio before you actualy get in to the cake decorating game. all the best with your venture.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Kim in Santa Monica, California

44 months ago

What great advice.. (("Been There in Evansville, Indiana")) I haven't thought of offering my time for free to prove I deserve a chance to show my skills.. I have been decorating cakes for 16 years.. Mostly self taught.. I got started in the business by watching the decorators at the local grocery store. I loved to stare at them while they were working, I thought it was great art.. Then I got a job there.. This girl (Beth) taught me to ice and decorate, then we both went to work for a private bakery and I haven't stopped learning and trying new things since.. I remember when fondant came out and I was scared to try it.. LOL... I was so stuck on buttercream.. I'm 36 now and I still love what I do, I would just like to decorate somewhere other than my home.. I would love to own a bakery one day, but I'm too scaired to try.. I'm not very business smart..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Dajohna Tillman in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

44 months ago

hi i love to design cakes

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

pica909 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

40 months ago

How much experience do you have as a cake decorator? Have you done wedding and specialty cakes? Can you dirty ice, frost with butter cream, make flowers and write on a cake? If you are interested in a job please send me your resume along with pictues of your work. Thank you

Sincerely,
Rachell Guerrero
Milwaukee, WI.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Kim in Riverside, California

40 months ago

Who are you offering a job to?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

nicole fintikis in Chicago, Illinois

37 months ago

Hello my name is nicole fintikis and I love decorating cakes.. I work as at grocery store bakery which isn't paying my bills and its mass production of not so nice (or tasty) product. I do my creative bulidup cakes from home cause that what I have been trying to find a job doing. Working with fondant and gumpaste is what I went to school for. Not the crap I make now. The job I have now there's no room to grow or bulid and grow my skills please help.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

melanie commins in Nottingham, United Kingdom

35 months ago

hi, ive done so many cake for family but i still think i need more traing of how to decorate a perfect cake,an make people, flowers, animals etc. ive just done a peppa pig cake for my 3 year old daughter and everyone commented on it and thought i bought it but to me it still needed that professional touch. i live in a small town and would love to do a course is there any where i could get help???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

cake-pictures in Lake Elsinore, California

32 months ago

Hello Cake Decorators,

May I implore you to add your photos of cakes to cake-pictures.com. They don't have to be perfect, we are happy to display your cake photos to the world. Easy searching and submission process!

Thanks,

Cake-Pictures.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ange in San Diego, California

20 months ago

Hi,

My ultimate career goal is to become a professional cake decorator so I was wondering what job will help me more in the future.....working as a pastry cook (plating desserts, occasionally prepping pastry doughs for pastry chef) or as a bakers helper for Vons? I was thinking if I worked in the Vons bakery I could eventually ask them to move me to cake decorating.

What do you guys think?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

DWah in Roswell, Georgia

17 months ago

Ange in San Diego, California said: Hi,

My ultimate career goal is to become a professional cake decorator so I was wondering what job will help me more in the future.....working as a pastry cook (plating desserts, occasionally prepping pastry doughs for pastry chef ) or as a bakers helper for Vons? I was thinking if I worked in the Vons bakery I could eventually ask them to move me to cake decorating.

What do you guys think?

Many, if not most people start gaining commercial experience at a grocery store. They would start you off as Baker's Helper or Bakery Clerk. My friendly advice to you is to take initiative in whatever you do in life...Learn as much as you can on your own. These 'grocery decorator jobs' can only take you so far even when you do end up being a decorator. Buy a few good books and look at videos. Learn the principles of baking and basic decorating techniques. Expand from there.If you decide you love it, invest in a kitchenmaid. Practice, practice, practice. Take pictures of your work. Later on if you develop a certain niche and you really get good, get the appropriate licenses, permits, and/or insurance. You can put those pics in a blogfolio, attach an automatic appointment scheduler,add a facebook page, then market like nobody's business.

Much to your success!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

DWah in Roswell, Georgia

17 months ago

Of course you doing work on your own might be best as a supplement to some basic training, so you have other people around to which you ask questions, etc.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

cake gallery in Muscat, Oman

16 months ago

Hi we are high end bakery and pastry in oman middle east we are the best in the country in cake design. We actually looking to hire decorator. Have a look to our website www.cakegalleryoman.com, get in touch at benfraj.anis@cakegalleryoman.com

Best

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.