Are captain job opportunities growing or declining?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (27)

Host

Are jobs in this industry on the rise? Are there any sub-sectors that are growing?

Where are the jobs? Which places have the most captain opportunities?

Reply - Report abuse

hellerup in Marathon

85 months ago

Host said: Are jobs in this industry on the rise? Are there any sub-sectors that are growing?

Growing especially in the crew/supply vessels from 100/1600 tons near coastal, inland and offshore, GOM

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Joe Purifoy in Morehead City, North Carolina

82 months ago

You can make a living, or a good living with your captain lic, it all up to you, been doing it over 30 some years and I love my work, where is your heart at that were you need to go, and give it all you got. Capt Joe Purifoy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

wakechic2786 in Gaffney, South Carolina

82 months ago

Joe Purifoy in Morehead City, North Carolina said: You can make a living, or a good living with your captain lic, it all up to you, been doing it over 30 some years and I love my work, where is your heart at that were you need to go, and give it all you got. Capt Joe Purifoy.

Joe, I am looking at getting my Capt. License and would love to ask you a few questions about it, if you don't mind. If you don't then email me at dixiegirljp@yahoo.com. Thank you!

82 months ago

Hello, Dixiegirl how are you,I will try to help with your questions if I can,you can git all your question answer if you go to USCG National Licensing Website www.uscg.mil/nmc that is a good place to start. cheer Joe Purifoy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

wakechic2786 in Gaffney, South Carolina

82 months ago

Joe, I tried that link you posted but it said page could not be found. My main question I have is: What is the best way to go about getting my license? I found a school in Florida that offers class room training, on water training and internships. It is in Jacksonville, Fl. What would your advice be?

82 months ago

Dixie. Try this way first, go to Google put in US coast guard Examination Charleston,sc look at that first let me know if that helps the center is 196 Tradd Street Charleston, sc 29401-1899 phone: (843) 720-3250 They are very nice and very helpful, then we can talk, they are the way to go first. cheer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Capt Tarpon in Tarpon Springs, Florida

67 months ago

Host said: Are jobs in this industry on the rise? Are there any sub-sectors that are growing?

saltwaterfishingjobs.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Robert in Bayonne, New Jersey

66 months ago

Hi
I have master STCW 50 Ton USCG license. I am trying to get job as captain in NY do you know who can advise me what kind job I can get in ferry what company?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Capt Joe in Morehead City, North Carolina

66 months ago

Robert in Bayonne, New Jersey said: Hi
I have master STCW 50 Ton USCG license. I am trying to get job as captain in NY do you know who can advise me what kind job I can get in ferry what company?

Hi Robert,Try your State ferrys first they have a lot to give to some one just starting, if you can get on, and try Boats & Harbors Email:boatsandharbors@citlink.net they have jobs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Dwagner in Clearwater, Florida

65 months ago

I am a licensed Masters Captain (1000 ton. I have been searching for a job since September 08, and have had no luck. My experience is with offshore utility vessels in Louisianna, however, I am willing to work anywhere. Does anyone known of any companies that are hiring?

65 months ago

Correction to my previous comment/question. I am a Masters Captain 100 ton, not 1000 ton, and I am looking for employment. Does anyone know of any companies that are currently hiring?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

hellerup in Marathon said: Growing especially in the crew/supply vessels from 100/1600 tons near coastal, inland and offshore, GOM

I have not been able to find work since last year... If the industry is starting to grow again, please tell me who is hiring!

Capt Joe in Morehead City, North Carolina

65 months ago

Hello , There are jobs out there but are getting harder to fine. a lot has to do with what kind of lic. you have and what kind of experince you have. I don't know where you are from, but I would look in to the state ferry or drege boat jobs on line. It would be good if you had your MMD card. If you got the time and money I would consider merchant marine school. After you went through their school you will find a job 90% chance if you apply your self and work hard at it. Just don't give up and remember this , winners never quit and quiters never win. I hope you the best. Capt Joe.

CapnGT in Victoria, Texas

62 months ago

DECLINING!!!

Capt Dennis in Desoto, Texas

54 months ago

In today's market you have to be flexible, for findeing good employment is harder and harder to find, but with the proper credentials and training, living close to where work is svalable, and willing to travel regularly, joining as many maritime groups as possible you can find work. If you need sea time, joining a group like Capt Hank Schmitt's OPO gives ypu a lot of opportunities, especially since you need one year of sea timr to get a master's license. Going through a USCG approved school also helps you network.
Most captains jobs are of relatively short duration.
Location gives you an edge for less transportation costs gets passed on to the client.
The new USCG Regs recently published and in development for implementation next year will weed out more of the unqualified skippers. With more boat builders folding, skippers delivering their new boats have to look elsewhere. With less new & used boat sales there are far less deliveries available. That's probably why the Ocean Captains Group stopped accepting new applications (even though their website still says they are). By the way, don't call their NC Phone number on their website; it is another business not related to the marine industry. Going through their lengthy applicatiom process only to not hear anything back is a bit of a downer.
Female captains are still in demand in Sailing Schools, especially if they cater to female
students. An ASA and US Sailing certified instructor with a captain'license could do OK in Key West or several places in the Caribbean especially if they have their own boat.
Positions on larger commercial boats (100 GT +) are starting to open up for those qualified and qualifications are going to be harder and harder to get in the next year or two.

Alan Echols in Rockledge, Florida

54 months ago

Hey Joe, just wanting to know if those large black cats are preventing the local beach gatherings anymore? Remember the boat sticking out of the sand 6' under water at low tide? Email me back. Im in Melbourne

mescapt2@aol.com in Pensacola, Florida

44 months ago

If any one no of some one looking for a 100 ton Utility boat Captain/Mate Please give me an E Mail at Mescapt2@aol.com

Rob in Hiram, Georgia

41 months ago

Im a boatswain mate in coast guard and have plenty of sea time -+my 100 ton liscense , basic and advanced fire fighting and basic and advanced damage control certifications in addition helm andl lookout qualified while in the coast guard. Plus my assoc. Degree in criminal justice. I'm coming to the end of my enlistment and hoping to land a job in the tug or shipping industry. Does my cert as a 100ton lisc with towing endorsement Superseed an ab liscense in order for me to atleast work as a able body seaman? I know I'm more qualified than this position but will take anything I can get and am willing to work my way up the ladder. Any suggestions or info? I currently live in mobile al. But will re locate when my enlistment is up in june

wannabecaptin@aol.com in Pensacola, Florida

36 months ago

Joe Purifoy in Morehead City, North Carolina said: You can make a living, or a good living with your captain lic, it all up to you, been doing it over 30 some years and I love my work, where is your heart at that were you need to go, and give it all you got. Capt Joe Purifoy.

are there any schools/instructors near pensacola, fl

Capt Dennis in Inman, South Carolina

36 months ago

I was surprise do see that the Captain's school that I went to in Pensacola cannot be found on the web. Maybe they went out of busine3ss.But I did find one. It is at farhorizoncaptainsschool.com
A lot of scho9ols allow you to take the courses online, also.

36 months ago

The school I went to in Pensacola is apparently gone, but I found a school at farhorizoncaptainsschool.com
Or you can take your courses online (not recommended)

36 months ago

For th3e Boatswain's Mate, Yes you have to get an AB Seaman in addition to your master's ticket. STCW gives you an edge competitively, too. GMDSS License gives you another edge.

Captain Walt in Savannah, Georgia

35 months ago

There is some good advise on here thank you. I am an offshore Dive boat Captain with 20+ years, I have my 100ton ticket with towing Endorcment.. I work for Sea//Tow Also. There are jobs with Sea//Tow if you are intrested. I know Boston and NY are looking.. Look into RV's (Gov. Reserch Vesels) also.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Blonde One in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

30 months ago

Is anyone with a Coast Guard Captain's License looking for their first job?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Captain Andrew in Minneapolis, Minnesota

26 months ago

I am 26 years old looking for my first job. I have a 100 ton island master with towing and aux sail endorsements. will consider a lower job to gain near coastal time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Charlie in Chicago, Illinois

24 months ago

Blonde One in Fort Lauderdale, Florida said: Is anyone with a Coast Guard Captain's License looking for their first job?

Hi Blonde One. have you found a job in Ft Lauderdale yet? I was there back in 2010 and I might be heading back down there this fall. Please let me know how things are going for you. thanks

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.