Average Carpenter Salary?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (44)

rick in Pensacola, Florida

70 months ago

now you know why jesus quit being a carpenter and went to preaching. theres no money in carpenter work. people on welfare do better than we do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (149) / No (199) Reply - Report abuse

nick in Brockton, Massachusetts

66 months ago

the harder you work, the less money you make.Its the american way

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (101) / No (74) Reply - Report abuse

Bucket o toenails in Kew Gardens, New York

54 months ago

The problem is the craft is not respected, from DIY, Extreme Home Makeover & HGTV people get a twisted view of the work.

When people get sick they dont call the guy down the street to give you medicine because he has a thermometer. You can call me the house doctor.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (33) / No (60) Reply - Report abuse

carpenter/joiner in London, United Kingdom

42 months ago

rick in Pensacola, Florida said: now you know why jesus quit being a carpenter and went to preaching. theres no money in carpenter work. people on welfare do better than we do.

its pretty good money in the Uk if you are good.
over 20k after tax.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (31) Reply - Report abuse

Big Joe in Cocoa, Florida

41 months ago

f4c3m4n in Mary Esther, Florida said: im 33 and been a carpenter since high school.i used to run my own company and made 50,000 a year.since the illegal immigrant carpenters moved and did everything way cheaper,faster,not no where near the quality,my company went down.then i go to work for a good builder(bad boss)making 20.00 hr for the last year,then right after thanksgiving day(oh sorry pal we cant afford to keep any carpenters no more)they lay me off .bummer.carpenters will never make the money they deserve!they r never appreciated!i say carpenters (full fledged good 1s)that have been in the field and mastered their job should make at least 30.00 an hr to start,we risk life and limbs every day and reap no benefits,vacations,sick pay like normal jobs .this system is so messed up!!

right, but no job can move without a carpenter to lay it out, form it or frame it, the other trades are at a stand still, but the pay don't reflect it!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (52) / No (34) Reply - Report abuse

ISHCOV in Ridgewood, New York

40 months ago

Well in New York City a Union Carpenter makes 49 an hour......................

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (25) Reply - Report abuse

norm in Saint Louis, Missouri

39 months ago

Its like everything else the union forgot what made them strong .and they have gotten greedy ,
they now are burning the last of the bridges as we the carpenters suffer

I say we either get rid of them and start fresh or just get rid of them.

the union was made to protect the rights of the workers .give then the benefits they deserve,and job security

now they just want to lobby in washington and tell us we need to learn how to speak spanish so we can talk to the laborers , (what a joke ]

I fear the union is on its last leg and the greedy bas---rds will run it untill it is dead.
it was good while it lasted but i have to feed my family so i will take what i can and to hell with them

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (26) Reply - Report abuse

JR in Oakland, California

37 months ago

I have been a union carpenter for 5 yrs . Work is good . $ 38 per hrs is ok. Yes there are lots of illigals but beeing union we work for goverment fund jobs

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (21) Reply - Report abuse

charles in Athens, Georgia

37 months ago

so there are carpenter jobs still out there? I used to be a “site- super” aka assistant project manager and a damn good finish carpenter (so I’ve been told) until the bubble burst back in 08. Did all my work on the east end of long island building weekend summer homes for the rich and shameless before enlisting and doing a tour in Afghanistan. Looking to get back into the trade if I can find a shop to keep me employed. No I’m not a boarder jumper and I hablo little Spanish. I do on the other hand have all my own tools hand, power and pneumatic. So where is the work? I’m in NC now, but will go where the jobs are when I get out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

Brian in Terre Haute, Indiana

35 months ago

I don't know what Union the rest of you guys are in, but around here, we're doing pretty good. Good luck finding a job in this area paying more than $15/hr unless you're Union or have a 4 year degree. Last meeting I went to we voted on where the money from our local went...do you guys not do this? I left a job making $10/hr to join the IKRCC, immediately I got a $2.18/hr raise on day one from my previous job. 3 months later I got another $2.74/hr raise, 9 months later I got another $2.74/hr raise. Journeyman wages around here are just shy of $27/hr which is more than 99% of people in this area without a 4 year college degree. I'll get out of my Apprenticeship with a 2 year degree in Construction Technology that will be mine and be 1 1/2 semesters away from a Design Technology Degree. I really don't see what's so bad here, I was on the brink of losing everything I've worked so hard to get when I joined the Union and now my family and I are doing better than we ever have. I'll support the UBC til the day I die.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

AMERCAN US CITISEN in Haverhill, Massachusetts

35 months ago

Some Dumb Guy in Lees Summit, Missouri said: We could all make it unthinkable to hire a "criminal-illegals" , if we all just grew up and addressed the real issues, not throw sh_t back and forth, but look up and see who is dropping it all on us.

I agree.We should hold everyone responsible for corrupting the carpentry trades.GC"s do the toughest jobs to keep our residential businesses running and then get slapped with all these insurances ,licenses and then have these money hungry white collar grubs who never saw hard work like a carpenter /laborer tell us how to keep a job site clean for a fee (telling us how to prep a job and clean up afterwards.)Our ancestors came here to get away from this corruption.Now It's here at its best in the worst economy.We need change,NO MORE <LICENSE FEES< NO MORE INSURANCE FEES MAKE HOME OWNERS INSURANCE PAY FOR THESE FEES LIKE THEY HAD TO IN THE PAST>NO MORE CITY INSPECTORS INTIMADATING THE HARD WORKING CLASS<SO THAT WE CAN EARN A LIVING> NO MORE LOW BALLING BY CURRUPTED FORENERS THAT MAKE MONEY AND BRING THERE MONEY BACK TO THERE COUNTRY"S<SO THAT THE MONEY CANT RECIRCULATE BACK INTO OUR ECOMNEY> WHEN WE SEE THESE PEOPLE WE SHOULD BE ABLE TO MAKE OUR OWN DECISSIONS BASED ON THE HARD WORKING CARPENTERS / LABORERS> MADE BY PAID CARPENTERS / LABORERS> NOT BY BULLY APPOINTED OFFICIALS<>THE HARD WORKING CARPENTERS / LABORERS> SHOULD BE THE ONES TO RUN THESE FEDERAL GRANTS THE FAIR AND HONEST WAY>WEE NEED ALOT OF CHANGE WITH ALL THE CORREPTED MASSACHUSETTS STATE GOVERNMENT .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

Nicky Lauwla in Werkendam, Netherlands

34 months ago

In the Netherlands the average wages is about 30 an hour minus taxes and insurance you have 11 left
I was thinking moving to Australia Adelaide make a decent living

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Bill in Berwyn, Illinois

34 months ago

jerry cook in Pinellas Park, Florida said: it is a sad day in america , when americans are told they cant be hired. the mexicans are not going away if anything our goverment is helping them come here. your dues are helping the union bring them here . see the jouneryman that are old school ,are not going tobe here forever. the unions (well carpenters dont help you what so ever) but the unions will die off with out money ,and if the union wont help you (and they dont help you if you cant see this now you never will) what are you paying them money for . your paying good money to work , oh yea and to make sure the b.a.s are doing well, but really your paying money to just work . you dont know if you will even get your money after your done working 25-30 years . you dont know what there evenspending your money on . well we do know one thing your money is going to build new apprenticeships, new hiring halls , new rides for the non working b.a.s, and lets not forget to train a mexican to take your job . to all americans your country has let you down time and time again . and there not going to great jobs ,there not going to help you at all and the unions they dont care about you come on ,you cant see this for yourself.

I grew up in Pinellas county FL and was a member of Carpenter’s local 140. In 1988 I made $9.65 an hour. That year I moved to Chicago and was making over $18 an hour. Today I make $40.77 and have medical, dental and optical as well as prescription insurance and a pension. If I worked a 2000 hour year I pay $3200 in dues. So yes I’ll pay to work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

carp4Christ in Gary, Indiana

33 months ago

I don't know how Florida fares overall, but where I come from union carpenters make $. I worked 3 nuclear outages this year plus 2 seperate 5 week jobs in Michigan. I've earned over $50k this year for about 6 1/2 months of work which doesn't include the unemployment I'll receive the last 10 or so weeks of the year. Tons of guys are flocking to Florida for the nuclear work there this year too. Jesus didn't quit being a carpenter. he's still building the church.

rick in Pensacola, Florida said: now you know why jesus quit being a carpenter and went to preaching. theres no money in carpenter work. people on welfare do better than we do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

kenny in London, United Kingdom

32 months ago

its much harder in europe guys. carpenters work for £100 a day in england and in dollars that like $60 so you got it good.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (25) Reply - Report abuse

ads in Woking, United Kingdom

32 months ago

obviously need to sort your act out chaps, i'm 25, 10 years as a carpenter/ joiner making £160- £200 a day average first year of opening my own company hit £47,000 without any employees and without trying along with 4 holidays, in a recession while big companies that have been around for longer than i've been alive fold, if you're good enough people will pay and pass you're name on.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

soymlk in Woodland Hills, California

30 months ago

This is really the truth.

Too many people here are complaining about illegals taking their job. Most of the people complaining cannot spell, go back to school and put the energy in to learning something, not just bitching.

The most annoying part of all this wage talk is that some people feel they are entitled to a certain wage. Wages do not come out of thin air, you need to earn your pay. This means you have to work hard and produce for the company, otherwise it is not sustainable. If you want $20 an hour, you need to produce at least $40 worth of work.

People who want to earn a paycheck do not last with my company. Take pride in your work and work hard, everything else will eventually work out.

Carpenter in Casper, Wyoming said: At the age of 22 I made my way up to $20/hour as a well rounded and seasoned carpenter. ...(snip)... I'm going to keep working my way up again with something called hard work. You see, when you produce something twice as fast as other people, your boss is willing to put out more when he realizes other employers want your talent. Especially when you can frame as fast as a blow and go, slap crap together Greeney, with quality work. Some jobs still require quality. I'm no politician, and I don't claim to know what affect wet backs really have to our economy. But working hard to increase my pay seems more effective than complaining about people that want to work dirt cheap (this includes citizens from our country, anyway).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

Geist in Edmonton, Alberta

30 months ago

I live in Canada British Columbias north, I have my own small reno company and charge $60hr, the work is non stop, I know others that are charging out at 75-80hr, ( just ourselfs, I pay my helper between 15-25 and charge them out at 35-46hr) oil and gas is big here, these families working in it are making 200k a year so we contractors are building like nuts and charging for it. I dont know how you guys do it, Its a gold mine here, just thought id pass the word on.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

Eclectic Carpentry in Rocky Point, New York

30 months ago

The problem is, is that people (mostly bad carpenters) are jumping in the game because they lack the education or know how to do anything else. Home owners know that they cannot live without electricity/water/heat so those fields have them by the balls. Carpenters on the other hand get the crap end of the stick because they (home owners) CAN live with out the service. SO since that's the case they have the upper hand which allows them to look for low ballers. Now, when they do that, they will eventually find one that meets their budget. The low ballers are then setting the bar for what the "average" carpenter will work for. The problem is that the low ballers are less qualified, lack true skill/vision/talent and do just enough to get the job done. Anyone that is looking for a "real" carpenter will pay a decent price, but since most of the time, us carpenters, have to go into a bid thinking that the home owner is looking for a low baller. If they are you have to sell them your skills/talent/vision. If they are not happy with your price then you can tell them that that is what you charge and they are more than welcome to look elsewhere. If they do then yes that sucks, but do you really want to get paid less than your worth. They probably are not going to give you repeat jobs unless you are prepared to keep the same low wage. I'm all about paying the bills and supporting my wife and 2 kids but I will not work for a low baller... I have pleanty times in the past, WHEN I WAS STARTING UP! But after being in business for a little over ten years I've learned that if you pound the pavement, keep a portfolio of your jobs (with pictures & expenses) you can go into a bid with confidence and show the customer the services you provide. Chances are the low ballers are less experiencesd and lack the credentials/portfolio that a TRUE CARPENTER has. If you believe that your worth it. Do the industry a favor and stick to your guns and show em what your worth!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Eclectic Carpentry in Rocky Point, New York

30 months ago

...If your starving, by any means take the job at a low rate, but inform the client that if they are happy with your services and would like to hire you again you will have to charge your normal rate.... or... the next time that you work for them give them a bid at your normal price. If they ask why your price got higher, explain to them that you couldn't afford to work for your previous rate. If they are decent people and like your work and your personality they will pay. If they do not, and you are a skilled carpenter (10+ years) then chances are they wouldn't know the difference from your work to Joe Shmo's anyway and they are not someone that you should work for. Now, if they turn you down, hire someone else for a low price, see inferior quality, they might recognize your talents and hire you or recommend you in the future. I struggle every day trying to play this game and come out on top and it's not easy. I get depressed, pissed off, scared and often ponder different careers. But I love carpentry and I love creating and seeing a job through. I love being my own boss and building something that wows the customer. Just be yourself and don't settle for less. The cream will always rise to the top....DON"T GIVE UP. I currently charge $50/hr and 36.50 as a subcontractor for general carpentry work and am due for a rate increase. Custom jobs I guage on their complexity and involvement. I never charge a % for materials but do charge for the time that it takes to pick them up. Good luck to all of you who are REAL CARPENTERS.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

daniel c in Melbourne, Australia

30 months ago

Stick in Sydney, Australia said: I gave carpentry a miss and now drive trucks in a coal mine. The pay has gone up to $120,000.00 a year and I only work 14 days in every 28.

Can you share the company information ( the one you're working for)??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Eclectic Carpentry in Medford, New York

30 months ago

read my post and you'll see that I don't work for anyone but me. If you want to know about my company click on my link otherwise stop trying to phish information.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Cal in Park Forest, Illinois

30 months ago

Ive been a union carpenter for 30 years coming this December, i believe the union will totally collapse soon. Until the stewards, business agents,and the fatcats in Nevada decide to stand up and protect the carpenters that try to protect the union, all carpenters will quit the union for lack of jobs and backing. Here is a example: I beleive in the union, so i protect and speak up when the company I work for break all kinds of union rules that they agreed too. Now the company lays me off and won't consider hiring me back again. Until the union step in on situations like this and DEMAND to that company that you can't and will not lay off this carpenter for backing the union or else we would shut down your job and prevent you from getting more contracts. Carpenters won't stand up for the union for fear of losing their jobs, therfore the companies are doing what ever they want. Why should a person continue to pay union dues if they are not working, union desn't back them, insurance laps anyway?..... THE SOLUTION TO A STRONGER UNION IS SIMPLE FATCATS IN NEVADA...PROTECT THE CARPENTER WHO FIGHTS FOR THE UNION AND WATCH ALL CARPENTERS RUN BACK TRYING TO BE UNION !!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Eclectic Carpentry in Medford, New York

30 months ago

I often thought of joining the union but after watching my uncle work for 6 months then be laid off for 6 months I realized that it wasn't for me. I'm an independent carpenter but believe that if the union works for you then go for it. To each is own but from what I've heard the union has so many politics and kick backs that it's just plain 'ol B.S. I'm sorry to hear that you keep getting laid off with out them hiring you. At least you have unemployment (that you pay into). Good luck. Maybe it's a blessing in disguise. Maybe you should go out on your own.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Dream

29 months ago

Someone asked about comparable salaries. Look up California government salaries, Get an extra roll of toilet paper, cause you will !&$# your pants. If that isn't what all the politicians call entitlement spending it sure should be. If I ever thought of not working hard on a gov. job before I sure would second guess it now. Why try, the gov. is making minstrels of us carpenters. To top that off, they dont even mention percs, gas allowances, truck allowances, car allowances etc. If you know an above entry level gov, worker that seems unhappy tell them it cant be because of their income, I swear I'm not hear to depress anyone but I know it depresses me a little bit more. I guess one has to rememeber one of the commandments just to save ones soul.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

212 in Glen Burnie, Maryland

27 months ago

Bucket o toenails in Kew Gardens, New York said: I can't blame white people the job is not taken serious. I'm a 32 year old Carpenter and the guys around me treat this like a job, not the craft it is. We are wood artists creating a masterpiece from the drywall to hardwood floor.

dont foreget the framing. If its out of wack,so is every door,floor boards,window,trim, cabinets,etc. And some say it doesnt matter. IT will be coverd up by the drywall.But in reality it shows in everything there after.

Adrian in Australia

27 months ago

Carpenters in the mining game in WA are getting $50.00 p/hr + insurance + 9% super + tool allowance+ 2weeks on 1 week off roster + all food and digs and uniforms oh plus a car and fuel to get around the jobs

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Big Joe in Southwest Brevard Cnty, Florida

27 months ago

where do i send my resume 1st? and how much work is there?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

BLDR7 in Bloomington, Indiana

26 months ago

Bucket o toenails in Kew Gardens, New York said: The problem is the craft is not respected, from DIY, Extreme Home Makeover & HGTV people get a twisted view of the work.

When people get sick they don't call the guy down the street to give you medicine because he has a thermometer. You can call me the house doctor.

In Bloomington, Indiana there are approximately 2000 or so guys that call themselves carpenters. Can they read a framing square, figure rafter cuts, layout and build stairs correctly, know industry standards when it comes to properly installing doors, know how to build energy efficient walls and floors and many, many other aspects of the trade? Answer, an absolute NO! They think anyone can be a carpenter. They wake up one day and think because they helped grandpa build a shed when they were little, that they are a carpenter. They wake up and say, "I've done this and done that, failed at this and failed at that, oh hell, I'll just be a carpenter." Out of these 2000, you might find 1% are real carpenters. These guys have no respect for the trade. As a result of continuous shoddy workmanship, the area customers have no respect for carpenters either. As an example, Chicago carpenters are treated like gods, because they are the real thing! I'd like to take a crew of typical Bloomington carpenters up there to work. They'd get fired before the morning break time on the first day. I quit contracting jobs in Bloomington many years ago. Why? I couldn't find any real carpenters. The real ones were already working. Also, I couldn't compete bidding on jobs. Why, most, not all, contractors don't pay taxes or liability and workman's compensation insurance. If the county/city would have strict licensing, and competent testing to get a license, you'd probably eliminate 95% of the so-called carpentry contractors in the area.
Sorry for the rant. JMNSHO

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

joe carpenter in Detroit, Michigan

25 months ago

I can tell you that I am 28, sell and build deck's, yet I don't get to see a big pay check at the end of the week. I knew I should have finished college!

joe carpenter in Detroit, Michigan

25 months ago

I can tell you that I am 28, sell and build deck's, yet I don't get to see a big pay check at the end of the week. I knew I should have finished college!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

BLDR7 in Bloomington, Indiana

25 months ago

If building decks keeps you busy all week, there's no reason why you can't make a fairly good salary ($2000.00) every week. If you are keeping busy, you must not be charging enough. I am a home builder and remodeler. I especially like to take on deck jobs. Of all the things I do, decks pay more per day tahn any of it. If you would like, email me, bubf3098@yahoo.com and we can talk about what you might be doing wrong.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Dazla in Neath, United Kingdom

25 months ago

I'm a carpenter in the Uk, I'm emigrating to Australia. I'm looking for work as a carpenter in the mining game. Would be great if I could get more info, and maybe some numbers. Thanks guys.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

karl in Australia

24 months ago

you live in the wrong country mate 70 grand a year without really trying in oz

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

ryanbelhm in Cotabato, Philippines

24 months ago

Thanks guys. I would like to know the rate also

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Big Joe in Southwest Brevard Cnty, Florida

24 months ago

sounds interesting to me, and i just renewed my passport!!!!

LONE

23 months ago

i have been in businees 30 yrs and make less now than even 10 yrs ago i think we sit atme for a bit respect will be seen ( i hope!)

luke in Charleston, West Virginia

23 months ago

Adrian in Australia said: Carpenters in the mining game in WA are getting $50.00 p/ hr + insurance + 9% super + tool allowance+ 2weeks on 1 week off roster + all food and digs and uniforms oh plus a car and fuel to get around the jobs

can i get some contact info

luke in Charleston, West Virginia

23 months ago

may i get some contact info?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

BLRD7 in Bloomington, Indiana

23 months ago

Brian in Terre Haute, Indiana said: I don't know what Union the rest of you guys are in, but around here, we're doing pretty good. Good luck finding a job in this area paying more than $15/ hr unless you're Union or have a 4 year degree. Last meeting I went to we voted on where the money from our local went...do you guys not do this? I left a job making $10/hr to join the IKRCC, immediately I got a $2.18/hr raise on day one from my previous job. 3 months later I got another $2.74/hr raise, 9 months later I got another $2.74/hr raise. Journeyman wages around here are just shy of $27/hr which is more than 99% of people in this area without a 4 year college degree. I'll get out of my Apprenticeship with a 2 year degree in Construction Technology that will be mine and be 1 1/2 semesters away from a Design Technology Degree. I really don't see what's so bad here, I was on the brink of losing everything I've worked so hard to get when I joined the Union and now my family and I are doing better than we ever have. I'll support the UBC til the day I die.

The main reason you are busy is because you're an apprentice and work at a cheaper rate. Wait until you become a journeyman and see if you have the same attitude when you don't have near the work. I was a union carpenter for over thirty years. I finally went out on my own and did much, much better. I became a non-union contractor. I paid my crews the prevailing union wage, with a little bit more, if they were worth it, which they were. I had union members quit their jobs to come and work for me. BTW, their wages included whatever their benefits were, except I paid them the money instead. I had rotating crews, meaning they worked six months for me, then they went back to work union jobs to keep their medical and pension benefits up. After six months, they'd come back and work another six for me and so on. Worked out great until I retired.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

stooltube in Elmhurst, New York

22 months ago

CIVIL SERVICE IS the last Bastion of Union Strength.

I would highly recommend that those of you looking
for work (in any trade) look there quickly.

Search for provisional postings and upcoming tests!!!

But most Importantly....SUPPORT THE DEMOCRATIC CAUSE.
(our livelihoods depends on it)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

Mark the Carpenter in Mashpee, Massachusetts

12 months ago

stooltube in Elmhurst, New York said: CIVIL SERVICE IS the last Bastion of Union Strength.

I would highly recommend that those of you looking
for work (in any trade) look there quickly.

Search for provisional postings and upcoming tests!!!

But most Importantly....SUPPORT THE DEMOCRATIC CAUSE.
(our livelihoods depends on it)

The Demacratic cause/ Liberalism......is nothing but COMMUNISM, hiding behind those to words.

Deport these illegal crimigrants, stop electing communists to office, and stop being stupid.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

mkl7459 in Royal Oak, Michigan

1 month ago

Well I've been in the carpentry/remodeling business for 34 years. Everything from architectural woodworking, ceramic tile, wood flooring, cabinet making, decks, you name it. And I'm lucky to make $25.00 an hour, I was making more than that 30 yrs ago. The problem is first people are not willing nor do they know the difference between quality work and crap. And the bottom line is usually the amount. I don't know how many people called me back when they went for the cheapest price and were crying to me as to what to do. And then if some guy gets a chop saw for christmas he thinks he's a carpenter. What a joke. I've ruined my back over this profession. We need to get back to basics. All these yuppies want to be consultants, a lot of useless jobs out there but most pay at least twice as much as us saps

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Stepan in Chelles, France

1 month ago

Dear Carpenters,

Is there a way you may help me to come back to a trade?

I've been working for mid-size construction company in Alberta, Canada for two years.

I am not Exp carpenter, but salary raised for those two years should prove something. Started from 17 CAD, ten month later raised to 19, three month later up to 22, finally 32 but outside of the city.

I denied entry to Canada because I am not resident. Visa, permit was o.k. but visa officers found some other violations of immigration law, so I banned for a year.

Thinking to try somewhere in States or other English-speaking country.

Is there companies who may give job offers to foreigners?
Documentation is o.k., taxes paid, salary slips and references will be provided.

What I am looking for?
Enough desent salary for experienced beginner. Contract for a year or so

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.