Contractors perspective.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

woodboss

37 months ago

As I read these gloomy posts I have to respond. I am a CONTRACTOR! Please allow me to share a contractors side of this problem. Yes this econamy is slow, however, it is NOT DEAD! I do stay relativly busy. My problem is THE WORKERS! If this applies to you then listen up. Workers these days, especially in construction, because we tend to be less educated and less privalidged, tend to be 1, dope heads, and 2 lazy! To those of you who say thats bull crap! this worsens things for you. Workers used to come out put in a hard day and have pride in what they did and EARN thier money. the harder they worked and the better the quality the more money they earned. the general idea these days is this, if you want to get more work and better quality from me then pay me more. ERRK! sorry charly YOU got it BACKWARD! You get paid according to what you are selling. I as a contractor I am so willing to pay a few dollars more for someone who shows up ON TIME EVERY DAY, WHO HAS PRIDE IN THE THE PRODUCT WE ARE SELLING, WHO DOES NOT MILK THE CLOCK, WHO SETS A FRICKIN NAIL WHEN NESSASARY! Get off the drugs and alchahol, pull your head from your anus, wipe away the tears, and earn your wage. We as contractors do not owe you anything but a check and a thank you at the end of the week. If you want it, go get it, but you must be willing and able to sell your product, (that being yourself,) that being able to get your lazy butt cause I stayed up too late doing what ever it is that you do out of bed, that being prove you are worthy of more money, that being don't side with the lazy bad attitude havin' co-workers. I tell you at the end of the day when they go home to thier shack and "have a cold one", smoke a fat one, or shoot thier dope when they get home. they don't give a crap about you, your wife, your kids, your mortgage, or even if you have food that night. Put your boots on and go. It's not called go to my job it's called go to WORK!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Average in Medford, Massachusetts

34 months ago

Why do I feel this rant is aimed more at laborers and journeymen more than skilled and licensed carpenters?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

caveman in Titusville, Florida

29 months ago

woodboss said: As I read these gloomy posts I have to respond. I am a CONTRACTOR! Please allow me to share a contractors side of this problem. Yes this econamy is slowthe drugs and alchahol, pull your head from your anus, wipe away the tears, and earn your wage. We as contractors do not owe you anything but a check and a thank you at the end of the week. If you want it, go get it, but you must be willing and able to sell your product, (that being yourself,) that being able to get your lazy butt cause I stayed up too late doing what ever it is that you do out of bed, that being prove you are worthy of more money, that being don't side with the lazy bad attitude havin' co-workers. I tell you at the end of the day when they go home to thier shack and "have a cold one", smoke a fat one, or shoot thier dope when they get home. they don't give a crap about you, your wife, your kids, your mortgage, or even if you have food that night. Put your boots on and go. It's not called go to my job it's called go to WORK!

Well said man! I've been a carpenter for twenty five + years and I have never seen such a bunch of pre-madona, the world owes me something punks. No offense to those out there that are still of the old breed. What ever happened to the "rough neck?" We were at one time thought of as craftsmen not unskilled labor or a bunch of slackers.
I like being a carpenter. I chose my trade when I was fourteen years old and for the most part I have never regretted it. All you guys out there both union and non union should listen to this contractor. It use to be that a carpenter could walk up to a job looking for work. The boss would say show me what you got. You work the day and at the end of the day you would sit down and talk turkey.That being said I asure you That I an older fart can out perform any of you and do it cleanly with less effort than the majority. I come from the old breed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

caveman in Titusville, Florida

29 months ago

I challenge any of you so called carpenters out there to clean up your lives and therefore your work. There has never been a time when a person could be both a woodbuchering bum and a high end master carpenter. If you have some argument against this other than the standard party line I welcome it. One more thing; just because your an old carpenter that does not mean your a master carpenter.
caveman

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.