Getting a start

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

John Mc Ateer in Saint Louis, Missouri

81 months ago

I am a Bartender who is looking to change careers and was looking towards carpentry Looking to start as apprentice and work my way to the top any help or leads would be appreciated

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Desperate in Staunton, Illinois

79 months ago

There are tons of Carpenters sitting right now....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Rhonda in Allison Park, Pennsylvania

78 months ago

John Mc Ateer in Saint Louis, Missouri said: I am a Bartender who is looking to change careers and was looking towards carpentry Looking to start as apprentice and work my way to the top any help or leads would be appreciated

If you are willing to travel, the work is available. I'm in WV and we just don't have enough folks to cover the job openings. Check with other locals to see what is available. Also call some of the local companies as you never know when you'll find an inroad. Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Anonymous514 in Albemarle, North Carolina

68 months ago

John Mc Ateer in Saint Louis, Missouri said: I am a Bartender who is looking to change careers and was looking towards carpentry Looking to start as apprentice and work my way to the top any help or leads would be appreciated
Please stay a bartender. It's hard enough for those of us with years of experience to find work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Rhonda in Morgantown, West Virginia

68 months ago

Hi John,

IF you are willing to travel, there is work as a carpenter. Contact your local union to see when they accept applications for the apprenticeship and apply.

In WV, there is plenty of work. We have folks here from all over working here. Of course, keep an open mind as to what you consider "carpentry" as it covers a broad spectrum. Right now, I'm working for a scaffolding company. I work 50 to 60 hours a week and will most likely do so for the next year or so.

Take care.

Rhonda

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

jerry cook in Pinellas Park, Florida

68 months ago

john im sorry to tell you this but our goverment is taking jobs not making them our pres, is doing this for a reason and we all no the reason . carpenters have been hit the hardest, you can try to hook up with the union , but frist find out what there out of work list is saying . i know if you are a apprentice , they have to give you so meny hours of work a years, and our pres. is going to make it to where no exp. people get all the work so it mite be good to be a apprentice now. but for us exp. people americans have no hope with our goverment that only cares about people from diffrent countrys

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

american in Oak Forest, Illinois

35 months ago

john as a former bartender and as a current union member carpenter(15 years still working) and american the best thing to do is save your cash up as a bartender buy a building/a bar/a lot and hire a carpenter to build your needs and help a brother make your life better as well as his think big and remember your an american and limits are meant to be shattered there are thousands of guys out of work in all the trades right now work with your brain and remember as an american we need more business owners first, then they can hire skilled labor win win america lives on as you can see most carpenters are having trouble finding work :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.