Home owner refuses to pay

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

TINA PHELPS-JIMENEZ in Oakland, California

33 months ago

My husband is a carpenter who did two bathrooms in a clients house. Now that the work is done, she is refusing to pay him. She is trying every trick in the book not to pay. We cannot afford to eat it. She won't pay for labor OR materials. What can we do?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

31 months ago

TINA PHELPS-JIMENEZ in Oakland, California said: My husband is a carpenter who did two bathrooms in a clients house. Now that the work is done, she is refusing to pay him. She is trying every trick in the book not to pay. We cannot afford to eat it. She won't pay for labor OR materials. What can we do?

If you cannot file a mechanics lien, take her to small claims court. You can do this yourself but you can only recover up to $5,000.

You need to document every hour of labor and every bill. If you have a contract or an estimate, bring it with you.

If you need help, find a paralegal, to file the paperwork.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

W, man in Grande Prairie, Alberta

31 months ago

Go with the physical approach it's a pretty effective last resort I have had to do it twice, usually just hinting at some more aggressive ways gets results, a collection company could also bs called for 10-40% of the invoice

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

DG in La Mesa, California

25 months ago

soymlk in Woodland Hills, California said: In California, you cannot collect (including materials) for unlicensed activity, even through small claims .

But in California, your either a licensed Contractor or your an employee of these people your working for. There is no in between..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.