Ive Lost Everything!!1 What am I supposed to do???Help Me

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 108)
Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

KA in Manteca in Manteca, California

63 months ago

I've been laid off now for two years and 2 months and no luck for a job. I have 29 years experience in the semiconductor industry and with college. I have sent out nearly 400 resumes and not even one one on one interview. Most of the jobs I apply to I don't even hear back from or know if they got them for there is not contact numbers or address contact of which stinks. My unemployment is exhausted and I now have health problems of which I'm now on State Disability for. My doctor says I can go on permanent disability for my health problem, but I got denied the second time. I'm single and have a 20 year old son that lives with me that is bipolar and he too has not been able to locate work. My State Disability runs out in November of this year and I will have no income or medical insurance for me and my son unless I get approved for permanent disability. I have no close family that can help me or my son and will soon be homeless and possibly lose everything I have worked hard to have for me and my son. I can't understand how our country has gotten to this economic mess. Back when I was drawing unemployment I tried to get food stamps and medi-cal and was told I did not qualify because I was getting to much in unemployment, but yet people come to this country that have never lived nor worked here and get food stamps, medi-cal, medicare, cash aid, housing, etc. Something is bad wrong with this picture when people that truly need help and have lived and worked here can't get help it makes me sick. I feel for all of you posted on this site and it saddens me to read all these posts of all of us that have worked so hard and look at us now. I never thought I would ever be in this mess. I will pray for us all that God would send His help and mercy to all of us in our need.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (214) / No (49) Reply - Report abuse

Laura in Murrieta, California

61 months ago

My husband lost his job five months ago due to a very small mathematical error at work, that lost the company no money at all (the amount that would have been lost was only $300). He is college educated and has not worked except for temporary work. He is looking hard. I am also college educated, I worked for seven years as a high school English teacher, but resigned from my job in order to be a stay-at-home mom. Right now, I am eight months pregnant and really unable to find a job until after the baby comes. We are burning through our retirement funds just to live and pay expenses and will probably lose our home. It is so hard to see everything you have worked so hard for taken away so quickly, and I have to admit that it just makes me cry to think that no one seems to care to help us or our young children. All I can say is to pray, and maybe the Lord will help our country and help us. May God bless you all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (151) / No (30) Reply - Report abuse

firekeeper14206

59 months ago

I've lost my home like many others.I moved into my wood shop and converted part of it into a tiny apt.After almost 40 years of woodworking praise this is the best I can do?What kills me is the scams that are going on and the greedy people knowing you need work just to eat let alone try to keep what you have left are now offering you about a quarter of the minimum you needed to get by just a couple years ago.The generation of WWII that built this great nation are rolling in their graves.Look what we have done.We have taken all of the great foundations that they started and squandered them for the fast dollar.The greedy people are on all levels and will not stop until we stop them.We will be farmed until we decide as a body that we will not be farmed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (82) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

RL in Cincinnati, Ohio

56 months ago

I had a tattoo and engraving business for 25 years. In 2008 my Girlfriend and partner left for someone she met in internet game chat room. At the same time , the economy tanked and the people I had marketed too. could no longer afford to get work from me because they were all going bankrupt. I went through a string of toxic relationships and a string of toxic helpers at my business trying to stay afloat. All the while getting closer to a nervous breakdown. Finally after filing bankruptcy and hanging on for 6 months after the bankruptcy I closed down. had an accident 3 months before closing that shattered my tibia. I lost my home. my business. I sold everything to eat. All my friends left when I lost my shop. I am 49 and have no formal education so finding work period is hard let alone work that pays a wage you can live on. I am living with a cousin and we are barely keeping a roof and food in our bellies. The whole country is in bad shape and people who still have something ignore those who lose it. I am now pulling myself together after a complete breakdown. I pray and cling to God or I would give up. If we don't start helping each other in this country we are all going to be homeless except the one percent.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (96) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

genawillits in Aspen, Colorado

55 months ago

I am so sad and distraught that it takes what I have left to type. I will lose this internet in a few days. Was hoping to find some answer for what to do when you have lost everything and where to go. I cant stay here it is so expensive. I didn't find the answer. I want to blame someone, I have so much anger. My husband who I love and have been married to for 24 years and I fight. Kids are scared. So so sad.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (82) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

blue in Dandridge, Tennessee

54 months ago

My heart goes out to everyone on this forum and every other forum I have read. Everything has been gloomy for soo long and my family is now scattered and I have such an overwhelming feeling of being lost in my own mind.Such feelings of helpless and hopeless, I can't even help myself much less anyone else. People are truely blessed with their loved ones still around them and supportive of them and still have a roof over their head with good health. Time grows shorter for me when the last day comes and I can not go any further, it's time for a longlasting sleep. Prayer is all that is left. God Bless all of you and continue Praying and loving each other in place of fighting. ""Help America First"" is what I'm praying for. Thank You for reading this.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (71) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

warren in West Chester, Pennsylvania

54 months ago

looking for work in NJ in Fanwood, New Jersey said: I feel for all of you I don't mind being broke, it's all the people who depend on me that kills.
4 kids, my wife and my 80 yo mother depend on me.
Had my own business for 10 years, closing down now due to the economy. So, allthough I am inteligent and have many talents and experience I cannot get a job because I am 53 and have been out of the workforce for so long. I can run any crew doing any kind of construction, but there are no jobs.
Whats the use of even talking about it, we're done for. If I could give up, I would. Instead I try every day to make a dollar and keep everyone elses spirits up.
Good luck to all of us.

NEVER GIVE UP!! one of the underlying issues within the economic downfall of the once great nation is the fact that so many Americans are giving up.... I am 44 and have 4 children and a wonderful wife. We flourished for years in a strong economy and grew accustomed to a nice life. I hold a high school diploma and over 25years of self educated experience in the now dead construction industry, an experience that escalated me to a cushy PM position combined with a family business that earned my family 0ver six figures, well as many the down spiral of 2007 has taken nearly everything from myself and my family....I scrapped debris today and made $90.00 spent 4hours and $20 in gas ....I am an AMERICAN !!! I will survive !! I will adapt and overcome !! I will not surender to this economy !! we planted a garden of tomatoes, cucumbers, bell peppers, and several varieties of vegetables... we came together as a family for the first time in years, one unit surviving. There are ways to get thru ... do not fear do not run and DO NOT GIVE UP!!! .....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (101) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

sorryforthisworld in Hialeah, Florida

54 months ago

I live with my parents; my sister, brother in-law, and niece. I have been unemployed since 2009; got a job last year (2011) and was laid off...We are losing our home, I am losing my car; two kids under two in our home and we dont know if we will be homeless tomorrow. College grad with no job, student loans that are driving me crazy; a disabled father...10 month old son...where r u God?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (40) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

UNION LABORER in HUDSON VALLEY, NY in Warwick, New York

53 months ago

I am in the same boat as most of you. I did Traffic for heavy HWY for a Union (hvy hwy/building) & haven't worked in 6 yrs .. kids (daycare), commuting,seasonal, paying HS student $15hr cash, & the construction crash but n I also held & actively worked 16 yrs as Lic real estate assoc broker/agent but that crashed too
now my hubby who also is a union laborer (diff union his is building ) has been sitting home on & off for 7 yrs & now since week be4 xmas that it took his last contractor 5 WEEKS to pay him his last weeks pay (which is supposed to be lay off is payoff )
so now that we have lost our savings & went bankrupt Jan 2011 we have been collecting food stamps on & off since ( cause hubby works 2 day here & 9 weeks there) but we also had to use the local food pantry's that are EMPTY & some are permanently closing since they ate up ALL their federal funding. I live in the black dirt/farming region of the US with LOTS of migrant spanish workers who live rent & utility FREE since paid by their farm employer but yet they live like roaches 6 adults & 5 kids to their SINGLE WIDE trailer & they have CADILLAC SUV & 2010 CHARGER in their lot while I live in a leaking mold infested home that after paying a mtg for 10 yrs can't do it so now HSBC (BTW worst bank eva) will start foreclosure & I have a 6 & 9 yr old kids
so MR Woodboss I have to ask U how is it you hire & pay accordingly meanwhile my hubby holds all sorts of certificates OSHA classes & licenses even gets hurt on a job & continues to work & yet he is sitting home almost 3months now ?? How is it the one guy he worked for in Aug bounced his pay check ?? How is it my hubby who is a HARD WORKER & complains like you about the bottom feeders who have UNION jobs (their NONunion ) & yet he gets walking papers & they go to the next job ugh lets say NOT ALL CONTRACTORS are hiring pay what you get as much as the day laborers (spanish) as we call them in NY get paid less so make lots of money & run back to THEIR COUNTRY

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

gmhaley in Suwanee, Georgia

53 months ago

I have seen a lot over the last 3 years but I'm gone to keep my trust in the Lord
I was laid off my job after 23 years, lost my house , had to sell my cars to put food on the table , lights and etc for my wife and kids. I still lost everything now my wife wants a divorce I let them down I was not able to get a job. I owe money to all my friends. I money back to unemployment. I am man looking for work as a driver , caregiver ,butler or
etc. until I get back on my feet.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Tracey in Knoxville, Tennessee

53 months ago

Who needs a strong talented HARD WORKING carpenter skilled in most all areas with a specialty in dry wall, plaster and also welding...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

893 in Orlando, Florida

53 months ago

Wow!!! My Boyfriend has worked in Construction his whole li
fe He is the hardest worker I've ever met. He worked for the AF doing auto cad at his last job the contract ended year and a half ago. Regardless of hundreds of applications he's still unemployed! Not everyone is a drug headed looser. Maybe that is the problem you just stereo type. Maybe you should give people a chance instead of judging begore you hire. We have lost everything! I'm sick. Yes I worked until my AFContract ran out and for some reason I can't get hired even. Pray nothing happens to u and urs!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

BRVHRT in Evergreen, Colorado

53 months ago

I am seeking BRIDGE Carpenters for Christiansburg, VA. If you have a minimum of 3-5 years Bridge expereince you can start today.Please contact me at smeyer@ch2m.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Tobin Bigelow

53 months ago

In Ca. Fresno area if anyone has work for a construction Draftsman/Quality control. Please let me know. I have 20 yrs exp. I'm very reliable & dependable! If you or someone you know need a hard working individual with excellent references, please contact me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

Frank in Norwalk, CT in Norwalk, Connecticut

53 months ago

warren in West Chester, Pennsylvania said: NEVER GIVE UP!! one of the underlying issues within the economic downfall of the once great nation is the fact that so many Americans are giving up.... I am 44 and have 4 children and a wonderful wife. We flourished for years in a strong economy and grew accustomed to a nice life. I hold a high school diploma and over 25years of self educated experience in the now dead construction industry, an experience that escalated me to a cushy PM position combined with a family business that earned my family 0ver six figures, well as many the down spiral of 2007 has taken nearly everything from myself and my family....I scrapped debris today and made $90.00 spent 4hours and $20 in gas ....I am an AMERICAN !!! I will survive !! I will adapt and overcome !! I will not surender to this economy !! we planted a garden of tomatoes, cucumbers, bell peppers, and several varieties of vegetables... we came together as a family for the first time in years, one unit surviving. There are ways to get thru ... do not fear do not run and DO NOT GIVE UP!!! .....

If you get a chance, check out Clint Eastwood's Halftime America commercial for Chrysler. It's pretty inspirational. I got laid off as the Head Writer for an ad company. (i may not be a carpenter, but crafting words is a lot like building furniture.) Anyway I had to leave my family to work in Arkansas. Now I'm back, and scaling for work. I'm very lucky, my wife has a job, and our son is grown. But when you're drifting from job to job, never knowing what the next day will bring, it is not easy, even if you're not in immediate dire straights. I really sympathize with all of you. Wall Street and the banks have raped this country. But I do believe with the West Chester poster above - we've got to keep on fighting. Better times will come.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

Check out Clint Eastwood's Halftime commercial for Chrysler. He gives a darn good pep talk. After I got laid off from my job and had to leave my family to take a freelance job 1000 miles away, I watched clint every morning on my laptop. I sympathize with everyone who's posted here. These are heartbreaking stories. But we just have to keep on fighting, because that's who we are. We're Americans, and we all came here at some point because of a dream. Dreams are still free, by the way, so hold onto them. And let's hope this awful recession comes to an end.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

sorry for the double post. didn't realize the first one made it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

jm hanna in Mount Pleasant, South Carolina

53 months ago

My husband and I both have college degrees, have had a great career but now have lost most of our worldly possessions. Thank goodness we had a side income on the side with Legal Shield. It has been our life line.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Con-Forte in Calgary, Alberta

52 months ago

I'm with Con-Forte Contracting, a company in Calgary, AB Canada. Con-Forte is an industry leader in the commercial and residential concrete forming business.

Con-Forte Contracting Company Inc. is hiring full-time Commercial/Industrial Formwork Carpenters to join our team full-time in Canada! Primary locations are Calgary, AB and surrounding cities. Wages range from $25-29/hour negotiable depending on experience plus benefits!
Requirements:

Minimum of 5 years experience with Commercial Concrete
Minimum 3 years experience working with Formwork Systems such as Doka/Peri
Ticketed Carpenter or equivalent experience with references
Must be physically fit
Good work ethic

Please email resumes to careers at plumb-line.ca

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

eal77602

52 months ago

You are all correct....especially the person that said we are all screwed. I'm 63. I was a flight attendant from 1969 to 1983. I stayed home and had a family, but was very unhappy with my husband. Little did I know I had become severely bipolar thanks to family problems and a very troubled childhood. End result: I went to a mediator instead of an attorney that my ex insisted on. My children and I were screwed out of everything. He has not given them a nickel above the minimum amout allowed by law. I went through two banruptcies, then decided to go to school to be a court reporter. They gave us a huge sales pitch. Now that the economy is dead, so is the job. Plus the school loans have quadrupled in interest and are now up o $250,000. Can you imagine? Now, I am on the verge of losing my apartment and am on food stamps. I am not giving my animals up. I cannot survive without them, and I refuse to live in a shelter with crack addicts. I will live in my car first.
I was never materialistic and have always shared anything I had with those less fortunate than me. I also thank God every day for my health and the health of my children. There is always someone worse off as you can tell by these listings.......but never in a 100 years did I ever expect that I'd be on the verge of living on the street at the age of 63.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (41) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

illusion in kent, United Kingdom

49 months ago

Scott in Knoxville, Tennessee said: I have been laid off in NC Then moved family to Wash State to work. I started work for three months and was laid off. My house in NC was robbed and stripped of copper, toilet and house fixtures. The insurance was cancelled because no one was in house and someone else got inside and set it on fire . I ended up getting lucky and received employment in Miss so I moved the family to Miss rented a house then the economy got worse after 7 months laid off again. This time was able in three months to get a job in Morristown Tenn. I moved the family there and the GM Crisis hit hard after 5 months and out of work again. In the meantime we have used all the 401k, savings, credit cards, and we do not have any family to beg from it is just me and wife and kids. I had to give up family dog and cat because we could not afford to feed them. I have sold just about everything we had.The unemployment in TN will not

i really hope you may have made long way far from tht situation. m so proud u r gng strong evn aftr knowing tht life been so unfair,
i came to this site coz i cant find a way out of my situation,my boyfrnd i luvd the most left me 6mnths ago without any reason, and i gaveup on my life i cud not focus on anythng and thn lost my job too, in the span of last 6mnths my life has taken a lot of damage emotionly i feel.thou financialy my parents r well off and do suport me but this phase of depression jus dnt seem to cease ,dnt know how long i hv to go thru this ,i stil dnt get y life gets so cruel,
i came on this site to look fr som relief some peace of mind, and i can say aftr readin ur post m sure u r my inspiration,i hope i stay strong too.
thnx fr writing.....god bless u

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

illusion in kent, United Kingdom

49 months ago

RL in Cincinnati, Ohio said:

hangon thr m sure thngs wud get better, i hd a similar story n stil gng thru it,
but somhow i feel v cant afford to be a victim everytim v must face it lik a survivor. GOd bless u

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

tammy in Gibsonia, Pennsylvania

48 months ago

AC in Florence, South Carolina said: I also lost everything...vehicle, house, credit , etc. Unemployment will be out next month and wont be able to eat.

i was waiting to hear from ssi my ex left me he was paying the bills but decided drugs and alchol was more important now i'm going to have to leave my home no soucre of income have to have my dog he's is part of my theripy i'd be lost without him dont know what to do

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Paidra

47 months ago

The enclosed song will perhaps speak to the wives of unemployed carpenters. We hope you enjoy it.
soundcloud.com/electronic_band/love-will-see-us-through

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

debragreer1 in Brandon, Florida

44 months ago

I have worked all my life. growing up I heard how wealthy the USA was.How your skills, and degree will get you places. I have worked in healthcare insurance for15 years, I've done customer service for thirty years. I have been unemployed for almost a year. Over posted for over a hundred jobs and have been told how impressive my resume is, yet no bites.Yet government has allowed corporate America to remove jobs from American soil, lol but they have no problem spellings these products right back to us. And we buy them. There are few products that are even made in the USA anymore. And government, they are taxing even the unemployed to death. Explain to me again why we left England those Many years ago? Wasn't it called taxation? And now a once rich country is subject to greed, walkouts and diecit. 47 states right now are requesting to opt out from under governments greed and grasp. folks I'm in agreement. Empty promises, theift, lies, and the underhanded behaviour on our governments end just goes on. personally I stand alone now so what's the difference?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

toboeingornottoboeing in Seattle, Washington

44 months ago

Poolie in Rochester, Michigan said: I truly wish I had the words of comfort. I don't consider myself a religious man, but this may sound a little bit like it; in your darkest hour and when things seem their worst, don't give up.Talk with people at your favorite restaurant, keep applying for work anywhere,stay busy. All of a sudden a door will open and your life will change.
I have to tell you this also (not to be morbid, just to let you realize it may not be that bad as some). I live in Michigan and last week a neighbor down the road backed into his 6 year old, killing her. I hadn't wept in years. Please, my friend, I hope the very best for you.

I really empathize with everyone on here. And Poolie, this is a good
thing to remind all of us. I know, that I have been so angry because of my situation (that's how I used to handle it, with anger). The thought of me being angry, driving, just makes me feel sick inside - but mostly grateful that I never hurt anyone. (I know you're not saying this person who killed the 6 year old was angry; I realize it was an accident). But I am just grateful that things aren't worse.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

MidCareerChallenges in Ontario, California

42 months ago

The lights went out for me in 2009 when the public company I worked for ended my contract as the Chief Audit Exec....mainly because I was finding serious problems with the financials and they found a way to get rid of me so they would not have to report bad news (watch to movie 'Margin Call').....then a serious surgery, then a big, bad law suit, then a family dispute over our 92 year grandmother that ended very badly.....up and down with work projects since '09, but have spent all of our savings and still no regular work for an experienced, educated guy that has really 'had it all' at one time. I've played fair my entire career and have hired hundres of people and watched some great careers flourish....until 2009 when it all crashed. (we know why it crashed, right?)

Moral of this story...we are all in this together. Even people that are still working fear for their jobs every day. Executives are more prone than ever to work towards short term results, fraudulent activities and to hoard cash reserves.

We are really in trouble. I fear mostly for my own children who are in early college years.

Hang in there though, the US will come back but the jobs will vary and we will have to re-train and re-tool.

I pray everyday for the fortitude to keep moving forward, day by day and step by step.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

gobuyer in Chicago, Illinois

37 months ago

have been out of work for 2 years need to find work went to job fairs temps agencys
to this day no luck need to find work in warehouse purchasing delivery driver
gobuyer@gmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

PhotoGirl in New Orleans, Louisiana

36 months ago

Jesse in Van Nuys, California said: I'm a twenty nine year old educated man from Upstate New York, having relocated to CA in 2006. My situation is very similar to the series of posts above. I lost my job a week before Christmas, and have been collecting unemployment since. The benefits the state pay aren't enough for me to cover my basic necessities, e.g. rent car payment.

I suspect I will lose my car and apartment within the next 30-60 days. Then, throw the in the fact I completed a year of law school, and couldn't get funding for my second year because Well's Fargo's requirements were ridiculous, as a result of the economic crisis. The result, dreams put on hold.

Due to all the misfortune, there is a deep sense of hopelessness and helplessness. Possessions no longer have any meaning and goals have become dreams just out of reach. Now mere survival is all that matters.

I am really curious to know what happened with you...hopefully you get this email and everything was ok. I am anxious to hear from you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

36 months ago

Jesse in Van Nuys, California said: I'm a twenty nine year old educated man from Upstate New York, having relocated to CA in 2006. My situation is very similar to the series of posts above. I lost my job a week before Christmas, and have been collecting unemployment since. The benefits the state pay aren't enough for me to cover my basic necessities, e.g. rent car payment.

I suspect I will lose my car and apartment within the next 30-60 days. Then, throw the in the fact I completed a year of law school, and couldn't get funding for my second year because Well's Fargo's requirements were ridiculous, as a result of the economic crisis. The result, dreams put on hold.

Due to all the misfortune, there is a deep sense of hopelessness and helplessness. Possessions no longer have any meaning and goals have become dreams just out of reach. Now mere survival is all that matters.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

36 months ago

I am really curious to know what happened with you...hopefully you get this email and everything was ok. I am anxious to hear from you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

wasjustabouttostart in Madison, Ohio

35 months ago

Since 08' my life has been very different... we lost the house, cars, beautiful 30' boat and pretty much everything we worked so hard for all our lives. We're working, but we drive really old cars now and we rent, but we don't even have enough furniture for the rooms because we sold most of it. I just feel like my whole life is gone. I can't snap out of it. I will never have that kind of income again... I came to this site hoping to find something about what people do when they lose everything. I've picked up the pieces... moving forward.. I just can't stop mourning the life I loved so much... I feel so lost. I know I should be thankful for what we have and they we eat and have a roof over our heads. I worked so hard, 16-18hr days for years to build a beautiful life and it's all gone. All of it. I didn't gamble it away, make bad decisions, I just woke up one day and I didn't have a job. I'm not so young now. Everyone kept telling me to do it when you're young, so that you can relax when you're older... Well now what? I'm so tired...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York

35 months ago

Was just about to start in Madison, Ohio said: Since 08' my life has been very different... we lost the house, cars, beautiful 30' boat and pretty much everything we worked so hard for all our lives. We're working, but we drive really old cars now and we rent, but we don't even have enough furniture for the rooms because we sold most of it. I just feel like my whole life is gone. I can't snap out of it. I will never have that kind of income again... I came to this site hoping to find something about what people do when they lose everything. I've picked up the pieces... moving forward.. I just can't stop mourning the life I loved so much... I feel so lost. I know I should be thankful for what we have and they we eat and have a roof over our heads. I worked so hard, 16-18hr days for years to build a beautiful life and it's all gone. All of it. I didn't gamble it away, make bad decisions, I just woke up one day and I didn't have a job. I'm not so young now. Everyone kept telling me to do it when you're young, so that you can relax when you're older... Well now what? I'm so tired...

I hear you!

I've been unemployed for 2 years. I haven't lost anything yet but there will come a time when the money runs out. I just got my 4k tax bill yesterday. Bills , Bills, Bills! They just keep coming with no money coming in either.

I don't have an answer to your question. But I do feel your hopelessness and that lost empty feeling you feel inside. The lost sheep feeling. I try to find something positive in my life. Something that makes me feel somewhat good to keep trying.

That's really all I can say. Take Care.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Dontbelieveit in Crazyhorse, Indiana

34 months ago

Frank in Norwalk, CT in Norwalk, Connecticut said: Check out Clint Eastwood's Halftime commercial for Chrysler . He gives a darn good pep talk. After I got laid off from my job and had to leave my family to take a freelance job 1000 miles away, I watched clint every morning on my laptop. I sympathize with everyone who's posted here. These are heartbreaking stories. But we just have to keep on fighting, because that's who we are. We're Americans, and we all came here at some point because of a dream. Dreams are still free, by the way, so hold onto them. And let's hope this awful recession comes to an end.

The recession, as you call it, started way back in the 1970s. The economic down spiral has since gone on and unless you see businesses building plants and factories on American soil, everything is just talk.

The media keeps talking about how the economy is "improving". The figures are empty. There may be some jobs or people buying homes, but they don't differentiate between livable wage jobs and who is buying the homes. Sometimes, it's just the rich buying the homes.

Until people want to wake up, nothing will get better.
Most people have had it so good for so long.
Unless you've been treading water for the past few decades, then one won't see what is going on.

There is no invisible current that just improves the economy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

hardworker61 in Fort Worth, Texas

34 months ago

I am a carpenter with 30 years experience.
Description of work:
* Remodel *All interior trim. Dome ceilings. *Strong customer service skills. *Experienced with basement, bathroom and kitchen repairs due to water intrusion. * Cabinetry * Multiple step crown * Raised panel walls * Beam work, both new and repair. Stairs, new and repair. *Framing new homes. * Metal stud framing. Custom closets * Ornate mantels * Door and window treatments through out. *Cornice work. *Plumbing both new installation and repair. *Electrical, both new installation and repair. *Specialize in Dome ceilings, Archways. *Custom designed arbors, Decks. *Custom designed coffee tables, bedroom furniture. * Flooring with exotic woods. References and photos available upon request.

I do quality work, and believe the customer should always get exceptional service. After all, that is what I would expect in trusting the repair, remodel, or building of my own home. I am looking for a company that wants to hire a man that takes pride in his work and believes in quality workmanship .
If anyone knows of any work in the dfw area that pays a living wage so that I may provide more detailed information about my work experience and references, please reply. On behalf of myself and my family, thank you !

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

appreciation in Toronto, Ontario

34 months ago

To woodboss - It's interesting that people rated down your comment yet EVERYTHING YOU SAY IS COMPLETELY TRUE. My father was a carpenter. Back then some of the workers were shady, but today it has become intolerable with the drug use, lazy ass attitudes, aggressive behaviours, bad language, and lack of respect for others. In all sorts of jobs many of the people today want to drink, smoke, use drugs, party all night, get sex with no sense of responsibility or family values. What you have said in your comment is EXACTLY what many people need to hear. But they will whine, complain, swear and rate down your comment while rating up comments about legalizing drugs. America was built upon bloodshed and hard physical labour. The people rating down your comments would probably also complain about immigrants. My father worked as a carpenter all his life, my mother in food plants, I worked in hospitals, and my brother as a mechanic before he collapsed to an illness. We were immigrants. I don't smoke, don't touch alcohol or drugs and have strong ethics. The consumerist society has spoiled people and the wealthy have no moral compunction anymore to help all of you who are truly suffering. Communities need to come together through hard times. This used to be a principle of religious faith. In Portugal, I saw families move to rural communities and build extensions to have shared housing, and share growing foods to survive. I recently read about a lady who truly lost everything in very painful ways. I cried and prayed for her before I could finish reading her story. She rebuilt her entire life. I have gone through poverty, lay-offs, heartbreak, deaths, and was the only one in my family to go to university. I agree with woodboss - your attitude and lifestyle are important. Happiness is satisfaction in what you do, and you don't need drugs, big houses, excessive food, lots of toys, or even romantic "love" to feel satisfied and grateful.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

34 months ago

buyer in Allentown, Pennsylvania said: @woodboss your comment is irrelevant here. I buy your junk and the reason you produce poor quality work is because you feel you are entitled to some high level of profit or some higher station in life because you are a contractor. Anyone with a 6th grade education could be a contractor. A good business owner will get the best workers when they pay the best and provide the best work environment... or do you think that those capitalistic markets your so fond of do not apply to you. You get what you pay for and it sounds like your willing to pay for workers with substance abuse problems. The poor economy is real, perhaps in spite of yourself and luck you haven't felt some of the pain of the prior posts but I think you are due for a big old slice of humble pie. wake up.

I think the one being irrelevant is you. Woodboss gave excellent advice regarding a problem with current workforce. All you did was publicly slay him and his work. I think you are the one who needs to wake up. My father was a carpenter all his life and I saw all the things woodboss mentions and they have gotten even worse over the years. And there is NOTHING wrong with being a contractor. It's an honest job. It takes a tough person to deal with the lousy workers that come along these days. NOT that all of them are like this. But today, it's hard to get staff in that industry who don't have attitude and a bunch of excuses - like your comment shows.

34 months ago

UNION LABORER in HUDSON VALLEY, NY in Warwick, New York said: I am in the same boat as most of you. I did Traffic for heavy HWY for a Union (hvy hwy/building) & haven't worked in 6 yrs .. kids ( daycare ), commuting,seasonal, paying HS student $15hr cash, & the construction crash but n I also held & actively worked 16 yrs as Lic real estate assoc broker/agent but that crashed too
now my hubby who also is a union laborer (diff union his is building ) has been sitting home on & off for 7 yrs & now since week be4 xmas that it took his last contractor 5 WEEKS to pay him his last weeks pay (which is supposed to be lay off is payoff )
so now that we have lost our savings & went bankrupt Jan 2011 we have been collecting food stamps on & off since ( cause hubby works 2 day here & 9 weeks there) but we also had to use the local food pantry's that are EMPTY & some are permanently closing since they ate up ALL their federal funding. I live in the black dirt/farming region of the US with LOTS of migrant spanish workers who live rent & utility FREE since paid by their farm employer but yet they live like roaches 6 adults & 5 kids to their SINGLE WIDE trailer & they have CADILLAC SUV & 2010 CHARGER in their lot while I live in a leaking mold infested home that after paying a mtg for 10 yrs.......

Please don't glamourize what migrant workers live like. They are not roaches. They are living cheap as possible. They also suffer sexual harrassment, being unpaid, having documents confiscated by employers, and being taken advantage of. Do you want to trade places with them?? I didn't think so. Instead of complaining about other people (who also have it hard) why not try to improve your own situation?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

steve brown in Accra, Ghana

20 months ago

Enter a message to introduce yourself.Hello how are you doing i hope fine my name is John Howell and am a sailor man by profession pls add me so we can be friends Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Cindy in San Francisco, California

19 months ago

This post is to all:

I posted here earlier this year so I know what you all are going through, I know how badly it sucks! I just wanted to give a suggestion that might work in your area. I was 3 weeks away from losing my apartment and everything I own when I got a job with ADT Security Services selling alarm and camera systems. Now I used to work in investment banking so it's a big step down for me but it's paying the bills and considering where I came from, I shouldn't complain. It's a hard job because the company has been undergoing tremendous change. The Sales Reps are stuck in the middle of a company that hasn't been able to provide us with support or training and customers that get angry with the resulting less than stellar service. But like I said, considering where I came from, I shouldn't complain. I'm hoping to get back into finance but this will do for now and the company is very big on promoting from within. It's actually a really good company for how it takes care of employees. I'm sure how well you do depends a lot on your area. It's just something to consider. We are looking for Sales Reps in the San Francisco and South Bay area. If your good with people, you might want to check it out and see if they're hiring in your area. They take people with and without college degrees. I'm in their Small Business unit but they also hire people in their residential sales department. They were hiring a lot of people a while back for their commercial unit but they likely wanted people with more experience there.

Cindy in San Francisco, California

19 months ago

By the way, ADT is in Canada too and we have some kind of equivalent company, under another name I'm sure, in many other countries around the world.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Cityclublife in Las Vegas, Nevada

19 months ago

Listen let me start with Was about to start. I have been where you are not once but three times. Get over it. It's money. You said you have a car a house and a it's a we. So really how hard is it. Well it's not. For one had you worked really hard and handled your retirement and not expected your job to last till you died. You would not be in this mess. Really. Would you? Well ok then. So advice. It f in blows. I know. The one thing you fail to realize. You said the word We....... I would do anything for the we..... Alone sucks. I should have died long ago. But god just would not let me go so many tries at just not looking or maybe this time. So it's not really suicide. Yes been there. The strongest human alive and yet like Samson. I fell hard for a women of treachery who not only took everything. She took my sick child and when that was not enough she tried to take my life.
My daughters leg amputated from cancer my retirement house boats Harley's all gone with one bling. God decided to humble me the man with pride. I gave her everything and walked away cold and distant for her betrail. Having everything did not make me suffer she needed me to suffer for allowing our child to get sick when I promised no matter what I would take care of her and my child and well. I failed she cheated. I left her. She put me in prison for a crime I did not commit. On a lie and in NV it's not only except able as evidence. With her testimony you must convict on hear say alone. I beat a head district attorney hands down in court with a public defender no where in sight. And yet I was going to do life in prison for a lie one a home invasion of my own house kid napping for nudging her from her place of standing and sledge threat of a sexual act against my step daughter who happens to also be under 18. So I plea from 100 years to life in prison to a mista meaner and 6 months time serve in jail. No sexual act. Of threats. Judge says I don't agree 2 years jail

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

19 months ago

So if you think it's bad. Well it can always be worse. Now I'm labeled a piece of junk to and don't even have my f in name. And yet I'm not dying or laying down for no one. You have to will your self towards a future. If you are not alone. You sit your other half down and you come together. The government had this planned all along. They take houses every few decades and you keep having to buy new ones and work for the man. Fact. So. You must sacrifice everything. Eliminate every bill you have and take. What is yours. By any means necessary even if it's your dam name and nothing more. Food gas and power. Rule number one any one rich is connected to this period. We will always need those items. You two have jobs. Well then on one 8.25 an hour job it can live. I know. Get out of prison and see who the hires you as a piece of garbage. Right. So I am now growing my own incom eBay 25 prawns $25 and you tube schooling on how to breed shrimp in my house and my own food. While I make 8.25 an hour. Shrimp prawns 51 a pound for non GMO food. Look it up. A dum one can do it. I am :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

19 months ago

You must fight you must adapt. You humble your self to any means necessary. You must eliminate all debt give cars back cut down to cheaper phones and grow your own food and stock up water a winter and a depression is coming you have never seen before. You must be ready because your bosses and everyone's bosses will suddenly be equal when it's survival. Job that's free can not tell you no. Scrapping metal car board. Computers all have gold in them cell phones as well. You tube. Some acid and peroxide gold comes right off it's really. Older the computer the more gold it had in it. Talapia 100 fish in a garage will grow 3 thousand pounds of the freshes vegitables you have not had since grandma picked it fresh. Last. Power. Hmmm all solar panels work in the house with a light bulb. Oops. Not supposed to know that one. Might get you killed if you tried to get rich on that one. Lol but if only you have free energy you may live. At least I'm not dead yet :). Oh and the cure for cancer oxygen and raw food. Nobel prize dr walburg theory on the cure. Wow. Oops med companies kill you to ;) good luck people these are all 100% true as well as the contrails that are killing you and turner TV is brain washing you. The rest is gravy. Be strong get water. And good luck. We all gonna need it when Yellowstone blows next year smh. Don't ask. Smh. Life is about living not what you own or the vacations your on. It's about life. Be positive see it vision it and then become it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

sherry in Espoo, Finland

18 months ago

Am now happy happy and happy, my name is sherry from England I believe dr.uzor now, After so many comments on how dr.uzor helped alot of people got back their Ex, Jobs and properties, i contacted him and tell my story of how a lady broke my relationship, Been married for 8yrs and with 3kids, suddenly my Husband moved out and told me never to contact him again, i was so heart broken, depressed and sad, after all the story,dr.uzor told me to put my mind at rest and told me that all my problems will be solved within 2days , i was still hoping until dr.uzor called me again for my husbands picture and told me, i will have to get some items and i did all he asked me, on Sunday morning my husband came home by himself and knelt down to beg me, weeping bitterly and asked for forgiveness, i did forgive him and i told dr.uzor about everything and he said all he wants from me is to share the good news with the world so people out there , here is a prove that real casters are still online, for any kind of problems that need solutions, contact him:uzorspelltemple@gmail.com or you can still
visit his web site www.uzorspelltemple.webs.com /

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

paulmuller180 in Secaucus, New Jersey

18 months ago

limit i have spent at home without working..My life is back into shape,i have my girlfriend back and we are happily married now with a baby boy and i have my job back too.This man is really powerful..if we have up to 20 people like him in the world,the world would have been a better place..he has also helped many of my friends to solve many problems and they are all happy now..Am posting this to the forum for anybody that is interested in meeting the man for help.you can mail him to priest_gbenga.magic_temple@priest.com, I cant give out his number cos he told me he don’t want to be disturbed by many people across the world..he said his email is okay. You can also visit him on his website www.priestgbengamagicpalace.webs.com
PAUL MULLER

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

Crux in Covina, California

18 months ago

Everyone is in bad situations there no point of telling my story but if anyone feels any better after reading my story then i guess its worth it. Im 29 graduated from ITT 50,000 in debt from school alone just got married luckily my parents paid for that and I had plans of helping them out and paying some of it back but i cant even pay my own bills and being sent to collection on some already. My wife has a huge school loan and bills that are piling up as well. Newly married couple living together for the first time and now thinking about moving back in with our parents because we cant afford rent anymore and i might be losing my current job because the business is going under. Third job ill get laid off from. I cant even get a janitor job because it requires years of experience that i dont have as a janitor. Finding a job right now seems nearly impossible its almost not even worth trying anymore ive been looking for about 2 years and cant find anything. Was on unemployment and messed that up and owe them money now, I owe everyone money and cant make any, im probably going to go bankrupt. I never thought this was even possible for someone as young as me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Dave in Alberta

18 months ago

When the economy started going down the tubes in 2009, I had about 10k in debts. I quickly sold everything I did not need, paid off my debts, and headed north to the Yukon territories. I've hunted for food, made enough in bounties to buy shells, and generally just love it. Not much for people here, and my wife and I are living the dream. It was good enough for our ancestors, why should it not be good enough for us? I have a truck that i haven't driven for 3 years, and trailer full of tools, and if the game should ever run out, I'll head south! Heard its warm there! Life's good, the worst it can hand you is not too bad!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

NT1 in Eastchester, New York

17 months ago

I feel like you should receive benefits if needed .
How can you stop people from receiving benefits that don't belong in this country.
Start a website a petition to stop this madness.
well i hope everything works out for you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

xboxer in Cactus, Arizona

17 months ago

kat123 in Andover, United Kingdom said: Its not just America guys, I am in the UK and today had a breakdown as I cant find a job, living with my parents no furniture , no money NOTHING!

I am an Interior Architect with 10yrs experience in all sectors, I have had interviews with big global names such as Fosters. The people working in my industry are 80% international now and are willing to work for under Xa mount for the skills they can provide in some cases they work for free, I have been completely out priced from a professional market where I have all the professional qualifications... it is terrible.

I tried to get a bar job for some extra cash, my greek friend got it instead of myself (we both have bar experience)! I recently found out that he was getting paid half the minimum wage, cash in had (completely illegal), he couldn't afford his rent in the UK because he didn't do his figures...and has subsequently returned back to his home country. Proof that us hard working brits are being priced out of our own country, It is now Christmas and I am helping my friend out at his pub for some money but after all these qualifications I have it means nothing - Government need to step up and realise what is going on! Not only are we not getting jobs / pay the country is helping slave labour and exploitation to come back!

Same in the US, importation of cheaper labor.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.