Union Journeyman Carpenter Looking for Work

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 574)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

machineguns in Watertown, New York

79 months ago

jake petty in Adrian, Michigan said: Just think if you were union you would be retired!

You'd be retired perhaps and if not you would have lost 50 percent of your retirement because of MADOFF or thereabout, I can't remember, I haven't been in long enough to give a rat's ass about what I lost, I feel sorry for those that were counting on it though! The roofer's union here lost around 98% if what they tell me is correct!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

shadetree

79 months ago

crowbar53 in Mount Clemens, Michigan said: I hear you!!! Local687 has had 0% work for over a year With G.M. and
Chrysler in the toilet. Call the hall and all they say is Be Patient
work is comming soon.Worked in Las Vegas for 2 ytrs. but that is gone
now too.

i too am tired of being out of work been in the union for 14 years earned my card through apprenticeship while there they taught us that we would be favored over card buyers yet every job i ever been on its not what you know its who you know.The one thing that bothers me is all the carps out of work here at 687 why do we need all these ba's . To me it seems no work should = less ba's.At this point it seems that union is not caring about members.But i won't scab just finding a job truck driving seems to be a solution.Maybe once we here in Michigan realize that we have more work than any other state in the union just in infastructure we all can go to work!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

BA's what are they good for, not much....the union reps are worth about as much as MADOFF contributed to our retirement in my opinion. Its a who you know scenario with alot of companies, but I'm working with a company that its a "what you do" variable that keeps you employed.

A revision of the union is desperately needed or the migration of south americans will bury this union with cheap labor in no time, while the union higher ups keep skimming off the top of your benefits like they are doing this very minute! More for them and less for us to stay afloat.........do your homework brothers and see what they are doing with your annuities!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

chriscannon17r@*****.*** in Riverside, California

79 months ago

Brother you could'nt have said it better. It's worse in California. If you move to better city than you came from you might as well know your not going to work. So much for trying to make your life better and happier. If you don't know alot of guys your screwed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

greg in Jonesborough, Tennessee

79 months ago

NO WORK HERE BEEN LAYED OFF 6 MO GOT LOTS BILLS BEEN DOING CARPENTY 22 YR CAN'T GET PAINTERS WORK .LOCAL 50 NO HELP GUESS HAVE TO START THINKING LIKE BADGUY???? dam bill collectors call every three days. I NEED WORK BAD. TRICITIE TENNESSEE OR WHEREEVER.HARDWORKER JUST NEED LITTLE HELP?

toddcory in Neptune, New Jersey

79 months ago

If there is any work from he to Indiana I would love to know !

79 months ago

Please Contact me @ ihammer7@netzero.net

akilgrif

79 months ago

I have a large rehab job for a residential home. I am in need of a full time insured licensed carpenter available to work in Baltimore MD. Please respond akilgrif@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ronb in Randallstown, Maryland

79 months ago

I like to know where the Hell is all the work In Baltimore Maryland.. SOOOOOO Many job sites just opened but yet More then Half of our Own Union is out of work.. and alot of out of state companys are here i really dont get it.. I worked for Whitting and Turner as a Yard Carpenter for 2 1/2 years being laid off Once for 2 weeks.. and now boom no jobs nothing this is getting alittle crazy.. and unemployment is starting to cut and turn down Unemployment its getting crazy how can you Raise a family and pay bills like this.. what i dont understand is pay you're Dues Dues Dues. and you cant really without any income.. its crazy
I am a 4th generation carpenter in this Baltimore Union and work is slowing up to a stand still was told go union you wont have to worry about anything.. well i have been worrying about everything since i been in the Union.. i am a true Brother to the other union boy's but this back stabbing and lying stuff needs to stop just to keep you're job dont down another brother to make sure you're job is safe that is wrong..

Thats just my 2 cents.. and this "Change" is not any change i want.. send all the Money to other Countries to help them out.. but here in the United States of America we are hurting bad...

GAR in Jonesborough, Tennessee

79 months ago

SAD TALE TO BE TOLD UNIONS ALL OVER USA SELLING YOU HO BROTHER DOWN THE RIVER.IF YOU ARE NOT IN THE CLICK YOU ARE NOWHERE ?? ? CARPENTERS IN TENNESSEE ARE SUPPORT CRAFT !!!!!!! .YOU SUPPORT ALL TRADES. U FIND UR OWN WORK. U PAY DUES FEED FAMILY PAY SOME BILLS ALL ON 300 WEEK. Iv BEEN EVERY NUMBER STILL NOWORK????. YOU LOOK FOR CARPENTER WORK ON NET U SEE.NON UNION TRICITIES PAY 12.00 .Ive BEEN CARPENTER FOR 22YRS. CAREER CENTER SAID FIND ANOTHER CAREER?????UNION????

GAR in Jonesborough, Tennessee

79 months ago

SAD TALE TO BE TOLD UNIONS ALL OVER USA SELLING YOU HO BROTHER DOWN THE RIVER.IF YOU ARE NOT IN THE CLICK YOU ARE NOWHERE ?? ? CARPENTERS IN TENNESSEE ARE SUPPORT CRAFT !!!!!!! .YOU SUPPORT ALL TRADES. U FIND UR OWN WORK. U PAY DUES FEED FAMILY PAY SOME BILLS ALL ON 300 WEEK. Iv BEEN EVERY NUMBER STILL NOWORK????. YOU LOOK FOR CARPENTER WORK ON NET U SEE.NON UNION TRICITIES PAY 12.00 .Ive BEEN CARPENTER FOR 22YRS. CAREER CENTER SAID FIND ANOTHER CAREER?????UNION???? MILATARY????THE MORE PEOPLE ENLIST THE MORE SHIPOUT.MORE SNEEK IN TOO USA SPOT N STEEL WHATEVER . HAVE SEX WITH YOUNGS HAVE KIDS SO THY CANT BE DEPORTED .WORK CONSTRUCTION IN DROVES SELL DOPE AND MOVE ON ??????????GENARAL CONTRACTORS HIRE THEM TOO????UNIONS HIRE THEM WHY?? CHEAP LABOR. YOUR WAY LIFE IS GONE.NOMORE OLDSCHOOL.

arereynolds in Milpitas, California

78 months ago

This is sad and true. I don't hear any union BR's saying I can help you brother. Is this what we desever? When we were making the money did we think of this? Should we have planned for this? Would we could we make changes in the future to prevent this?

Todd in Lowell, Massachusetts

78 months ago

Desperate in Staunton, Illinois said: None in St Louis.....

Not in New England...my BA WANT'S ME TO PAY MY DUES. For what???

Todd in Lowell, Massachusetts

78 months ago

Todd in Lowell, Massachusetts said: Not in New England...my BA WANT'S ME TO PAY MY DUES. For what???

Hey brothers/sisters hang in there,things will turn around. I just don't know when good luck to all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

mike in Menifee, California

78 months ago

I am non-union worker. Union went out in residential framing down in southern california about 15-20 years ago. I used to work for 12 different companies two years ago. Now I'm lucky to work a week in a month. Unemployment is getting cut to about 2-3 hundred a week soon. Don't know how I will make it. I guess it's time to apply at a retail store or something. How sad is that? Think about the quality of workers we will have in another twenty years, with people knowing that the trades are a dead end job. We will have to outsource to get workers. What a shame that the trades are looked at as an expendable job, while others are not. Everytime I watch the news (which nowadays I try not to) I get to hear how I am looked at as a statistic as they optimistically say that the recession is lifting. They do not see that what we have been going through is not a recession; it is a depression. I heard a guy in a local wood warehouse say something interesting a few days ago. He said, there is enough work in southern california for about one big company and there is about a hundred fighting for it. What other job do you know of that the wage that you work for can be cut in half? I guess that is what unions are for in the first place? I bet a lot of you union tradesmen would work for half what you were working for two to three years ago; wouldn't you? Me too. Just to work! Get out of the house. Swing a hammer! It's a shame that there is basically no one that looks out for us. Union or non-union. Didn't mean to depress everyone any more than you already are. God bless and I hope things get better soon!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

After writing what I did yesterday, I called around to all my old contacts and heard that the stimulus money that our president deligated to the states is starting to arrive. If you know the companies in your area that bid on federal, state and city jobs; apply with them. Otherwise, you can do like I am. Email your represenitive, congressman, senator and tell them that you need a job. Get the word out there. If you are willing to post something in this obsolete forum then why not to your elected officials. Ask them if they know where you can get a job. Tell them what you have written here. Maybe your voice will carry to the top? It is worth a shot. Don't you think?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

I guess I'm not an optimist. I doubt the senators give about as much of a rats ass about us as our union leadership does. As long as they get paid and sleep well at night all is fine in the world.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

sounds right to me. Sad sad sad.

78 months ago

Mike Thanks for the real words on whats going on. To me words are incouraging, the Unions are depressing. Working 1/2 so that our brothers can still work and get paid something, people only think that way when they are on the outside. Good luck my brothers

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

anderso in Saint Louis, Missouri

78 months ago

I hope work is coming soon. I've been out since November and health insurance runs out in June. I can't afford to pay out of pocket with a wife and 2 kids. If anyone hears of work (anywhere) let me know.

josh bouy in Lithonia, Georgia

78 months ago

mbaileyone@msn.com in Spartanburg, South Carolina said: Right now we are having a hard time filling possitions in South Carolina, Were pulling guy's from Macon, Savahnna, & Atlanta to fill the in the gaps... Question is will it last ??? I was told last week the BA said there's another signatory contractor coming with two year of work ! ! Looking mighty Good, Praise the Lord...

its dead in atl. you are right to GOD be the glory!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Gary in Bridgeton, Missouri

78 months ago

I have been watching everyones comments and I have finally taking the time to make one. I see guys knocking their union and I hate to see that kind of dissent among the union members, but I know there is alot of shady dealings with some the union leadership. But there is dishonest leadership in every business and organization around and the only way to avoid that is for the members or workers to be involved. As far as in St. Louis, I don't think that crooked leadership is a problem. I don't know for sure though, because like a lot of guys when times were good I didn't take the time to get involved with my union leadership. Shame on me, when things bounce back it won't happen again. I have been out of work since Nov 08 and been doing what I can to keep my family and me surviving. I have a wife and 6 kids and things have been rough. I have been in a carpenter for 22 years in both residential and commercial and have dealt with slow times before, but nothing like this. Most of the other trades here have a hiring hall, but the carpenters don't, so it is up to the members have to find work for themselves. Which is not easy right now, and it seems to be a "who you know" situation.
I see alot of guys really dogging their unions and I understand the frustration level, but if our unions fall apart then no one will be able to make a living wage working in the trades. For better or worse, the unions are the ones that have kept us making a decent wage, when the pressure from big business has been to pay us a "fast food job" wage. I never liked going to the hall and seeing the line of BA's Lincoln Town cars parked outside, when I was driving a wore out truck, but my wages and benefits were better than a lot of people that I knew. So I always had to keep myself in check.
The working middle class is going to disappear if this country doesn't make some changes. And that is average people demanding that their elected officials answer to us, not corprate America.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

Write to your elected officials people! I agree, that it will probably not amount to squat. The only one that replied to me was my mayor, but that is not the point. The point is to get our voices out there. If you take the time to read through this forum or post on it, you should take the time to write to them. The squeaky wheel gets the oil.

danbednarek in lannon, Wisconsin

78 months ago

What really gets me is the big salaries that all our BA's and organizers make. I know our top guy in my region makes $ 132,000 per year and most of the BA's make $ 80,000 or more. Let's see if any of these guys can survive on $ 388.00 per week on unemployment. We sit home while they make big bucks. Not one of them seems to care if the members are all working. I don't know how long the union in this state can survive, WE pay their salaries and we need to be treated with more respect. I did my part with a 4 year apprenticeship and numerous journeyman upgrades. Nothing seems to get me anymore work.I feel i am a good carpenter with 15 plus years of experience.Please feel free to comment. Good luck to everyone in the Union

hbermudez in victorville, California

78 months ago

help! looking for work in california or nevada. I am a journeyman carpenter for 12 yrs. Local 409. My line of work is door and hardware installer. any info. thank you.

alicat74

78 months ago

mbaileyone@msn.com in Spartanburg, South Carolina said: Right now we are having a hard time filling possitions in South Carolina, Were pulling guy's from Macon, Savahnna, & Atlanta to fill the in the gaps... Question is will it last ??? I was told last week the BA said there's another signatory contractor coming with two year of work ! ! Looking mighty Good, Praise the Lord...

Thank you for doing this for the people. God bless you.

Journeyman in Neptune, New Jersey

78 months ago

Guess I should pack my bags and head South.

Gary in Maryland Heights, Missouri

78 months ago

Journeyman in Neptune, New Jersey said: Guess I should pack my bags and head South.

Where do we go??

jerry cook in Greenwood, Indiana

78 months ago

is this forum new because ive seen this same forum 1 year ago.

78 months ago

Maybe...isnt there work at Wishard Hospital?

78 months ago

Guy said yesterday theres was all kinds of work in South Carolina

78 months ago

So what are these projects?

78 months ago

wishard is still a minute out , there demoing the old building that was there , and theres 340 on books here. journeyman

78 months ago

What are you saying....340 sitting the Bench? are you in an Indy Local?? I have a house out there and was thinking on moving out there full time and transfering my book?

78 months ago

yes im in local 758 , they say work here is going to pick up. there is alot of bridge work here going on now , 465 is being done by walsh and milestone, there is a new company here called h.i.s. constructors and they have alot of work in the area and srounding areas . itsgona kick off . i dont know what you do but . i do know there is 340 on the books , and if your looking at wishard try pepper construction there the g.c on it and im sure wilhelm is going to do the concrete package on it , but there will be alot of contractors out there . i hope this helped you out . if you need more names let me know

78 months ago

Thank You Jerry. My Lady is an Engineer at Lilly and works with Brothers and Sisters from those locals that work for Wilhelm. I try and spent as much time as I can out there, but giving most of my work is usually here I am back and forth between N.J. and Indiana.. was not quite sure what I was going to do. I know there are several Locals in Indy. I had emailed back and forth a few times with your District Council and they told me I am welcome to come and try to obtain some work wherever I choose throughout that District. Was not quite sure how the BA's would feel about that but man work here is really bad. I have not seen it this bad since the 80's.I again Thank You for getting back to me. I have done many bridges over the years, Power plants, schools,hospitals so on and so on..I am by no means the sharpest tool in the shed, but I am by no means a slug either. I give a good days work for a goods days pay and not being bullied around by some over zelious foreman.

78 months ago

check out 758. there are some good bro. sis. there, some companys still got the hard headed formens but there is not many left. but they are there , you just got to put them in check . most of them just think there gonna lose there job . they keep our bro. and sis. job scared and that is wrong . i wish you luck brother , let me no when your coming here and ill tell u whats going on here . where ever you work tie off jerry cook

Paul Walker in Las Vegas, Nevada

77 months ago

Looking for work in the Carpenter's Union in Minnesota,California,or Las Vegas please email me at Keyley73@gmail.com if you know of any work in these areas...Thanks

camaroz in Marion, Indiana

77 months ago

Well I am in the same boat as everyone else. I thinke the union is the wrong way to go any more.Company's don't want people who have good work skills. Worked in Indianoplis,worked with people who don't even know how to use a tape measure,but know someone in the company so they have work. I have done every type work in construction.I have been laid off for 16months. BA make all kind of excuses. They need to go back into the field again and see were we are coming from. They also need to stop the recruiting of people, and put the people all ready in back to work.

Troy in Mokena, Illinois

77 months ago

I agree with you this is a joke. The BA sit in there office not knowing what it's like to be cashing in change to live. Then they have the balls to send a letter saying If I don't keep up with my dues I'll be suspended. I can't even get a warehouse job because they say I'm to over qualified. I don't see work picking up at all so time to move on to a different career. I'm with you I have been off for about the same time andy unemployment has 13 weeks left then all hell is gonna break loose. Good luck brother

Crowbar53 in Saint Clair Shores, Michigan

77 months ago

Yea, you are 100% correct. All the other unions have a hiring hall to find work but in Detroit since you can solict your own jobs
the out of work list doesn't work. If you do land a job you find out that 50% of these guys either bought their card, never went
through the Apprenticeship or is the son of the Super. Can't even get a job in a factory running a forklift 'cus I'm overqualified.

Went inline to apply for a carpenter job yesterday only to find out it pays $12.oo/hr with your own tools. I've been in union 22yrs. Hall says I need 1 i/2 years more to get Pension. Never thought it would get to this. Sad but true.

josemsanchez in carol stream, Illinois

77 months ago

I am a concrete foreman form setter ,lay out man hard worker 36 years old .I belong to CARPENTER`S UNION LOCAL #181 union member in good standing for 12 years.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

sandlparker04@*****.*** in Missoula, Montana

77 months ago

I am a Local 28 carpenter foreman in Missoul, MT. We (my family) are thinking about relocating to Columbia, SC and wondering about the current job market is there. Wages, jobs, etc. and employers.....I have been with Gordon Construction for about ten years now and have zero complaints about how this business is run. I just completed a beautiful 7 story bank here in Missoula, MT as the project foreman for the GC.....are there jobs like mine in the Union down there??

jose m sanchez in Roselle, Illinois

77 months ago

You know with this economy things have really slowed down alot,but yes there are huge and great jobs just like anywhere else in the world and about relocating well good luck but right now would be a great time to hold on to what you have.

Fizzling out in Phoenix, Arizona

77 months ago

I hear you! My husband has been a carpenter for over 25 years and we started our own framing business 5 years ago. We did well and had tons of work in 2006 & 2007. We only worked 6 months in 2008 and about 6 weeks in 2009! NO work this year at all. Several general contractors we work with went out of business and another just isn't getting jobs, although we are continuing to bid with them. Apparently there are "contractors" (using either illegals or desperate carpenters willing to work for minimum wage) bidding so low that we can't begin to compete if we want to be legitimate AND pay a decent wage. While continuing to bid, my husband has also started to look for a job, but there is nothing so far...

carpenter in Roselle, Illinois

77 months ago

Andrew Smith in Aurora, Illinois said: Tried them several times...You would think with all the miles of highway they are building there would be alot of jobs from them....

This is a company that i have worked for in the past ,but now unless you are related to one of there bosses you will be able to get hired on PLEASE don`t waste your time filling out applications with these guys they never call you have to be in a click if you know what i mean ,it`s not how much you know it`s who you ---------???? know.

Crowbar53 in Saint Clair Shores, Michigan

77 months ago

Help!!! Since work in Detroit is so slow, can someone tell me how good is the work in the Baltimore-Washington D.C. area or within a 50 mile radius. I'm a 22yr. union member. Do mostly formwork, decks footings ect. and some bridgework. Good layout man and can read prints. My sister is moving there next month so I have a place to stay. Any company names and phone#'s would help. Keep the faith brothers, it will get better.

wayne Fitzgerald in Lafayette, Tennessee

77 months ago

Dont expect many things to change, we have a president that loves muslims and homosexules. He has turned americans against americans. Until this anti-christ is out of office America does not stand a chance. Pray for your family, collect unemployment and brace for worst.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Crowbar53 in Roseville, Michigan

77 months ago

Anybody hear anything about work on the Canada Oil Sands project??? I know of 2 guys who went up there. Its good money but job is in middle of nowhere and its in a camp setting.

77 months ago

jerry cook in Greenwood, Indiana said: check out 758. there are some good bro. sis. there, some companys still got the hard headed formens but there is not many left. but they are there , you just got to put them in check . most of them just think there gonna lose there job . they keep our bro. and sis. job scared and that is wrong . i wish you luck brother , let me no when your coming here and ill tell u whats going on here . where ever you work tie off jerry cook

Hey Jerry.How are you doing...I got a few side jobs I have to come out and do not to mention work around the Ranch out by Cloverdale..was wondering if anything is going on out there..I will be out there by May 14th the latest, will most likely be out there at least a Month or more..does not seem like anything will be going on here.I do have a meeting next Monday night but things look and sound bleek from what I have heard....I thank you for any info you may have..Todd Cory Local 2250 Red Bank N.J.

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.