Comments (101 to 150 of 598)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next »   Last »

arereynolds in Milpitas, California

49 months ago

sounds right to me. Sad sad sad.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

arereynolds in Milpitas, California

49 months ago

Mike Thanks for the real words on whats going on. To me words are incouraging, the Unions are depressing. Working 1/2 so that our brothers can still work and get paid something, people only think that way when they are on the outside. Good luck my brothers

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

anderso in Saint Louis, Missouri

49 months ago

I hope work is coming soon. I've been out since November and health insurance runs out in June. I can't afford to pay out of pocket with a wife and 2 kids. If anyone hears of work (anywhere) let me know.

josh bouy in Lithonia, Georgia

49 months ago

mbaileyone@msn.com in Spartanburg, South Carolina said: Right now we are having a hard time filling possitions in South Carolina, Were pulling guy's from Macon, Savahnna, & Atlanta to fill the in the gaps... Question is will it last ??? I was told last week the BA said there's another signatory contractor coming with two year of work ! ! Looking mighty Good, Praise the Lord...

its dead in atl. you are right to GOD be the glory!!!!!!

Gary in Bridgeton, Missouri

49 months ago

I have been watching everyones comments and I have finally taking the time to make one. I see guys knocking their union and I hate to see that kind of dissent among the union members, but I know there is alot of shady dealings with some the union leadership. But there is dishonest leadership in every business and organization around and the only way to avoid that is for the members or workers to be involved. As far as in St. Louis, I don't think that crooked leadership is a problem. I don't know for sure though, because like a lot of guys when times were good I didn't take the time to get involved with my union leadership. Shame on me, when things bounce back it won't happen again. I have been out of work since Nov 08 and been doing what I can to keep my family and me surviving. I have a wife and 6 kids and things have been rough. I have been in a carpenter for 22 years in both residential and commercial and have dealt with slow times before, but nothing like this. Most of the other trades here have a hiring hall, but the carpenters don't, so it is up to the members have to find work for themselves. Which is not easy right now, and it seems to be a "who you know" situation.
I see alot of guys really dogging their unions and I understand the frustration level, but if our unions fall apart then no one will be able to make a living wage working in the trades. For better or worse, the unions are the ones that have kept us making a decent wage, when the pressure from big business has been to pay us a "fast food job" wage. I never liked going to the hall and seeing the line of BA's Lincoln Town cars parked outside, when I was driving a wore out truck, but my wages and benefits were better than a lot of people that I knew. So I always had to keep myself in check.
The working middle class is going to disappear if this country doesn't make some changes. And that is average people demanding that their elected officials answer to us, not corprate America.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

mike in Menifee, California

49 months ago

Write to your elected officials people! I agree, that it will probably not amount to squat. The only one that replied to me was my mayor, but that is not the point. The point is to get our voices out there. If you take the time to read through this forum or post on it, you should take the time to write to them. The squeaky wheel gets the oil.

Dan Bednarek in lannon, Wisconsin

49 months ago

What really gets me is the big salaries that all our BA's and organizers make. I know our top guy in my region makes $ 132,000 per year and most of the BA's make $ 80,000 or more. Let's see if any of these guys can survive on $ 388.00 per week on unemployment. We sit home while they make big bucks. Not one of them seems to care if the members are all working. I don't know how long the union in this state can survive, WE pay their salaries and we need to be treated with more respect. I did my part with a 4 year apprenticeship and numerous journeyman upgrades. Nothing seems to get me anymore work.I feel i am a good carpenter with 15 plus years of experience.Please feel free to comment. Good luck to everyone in the Union

hbermudez in victorville, California

49 months ago

help! looking for work in california or nevada. I am a journeyman carpenter for 12 yrs. Local 409. My line of work is door and hardware installer. any info. thank you.

alicat74

49 months ago

mbaileyone@msn.com in Spartanburg, South Carolina said: Right now we are having a hard time filling possitions in South Carolina, Were pulling guy's from Macon, Savahnna, & Atlanta to fill the in the gaps... Question is will it last ??? I was told last week the BA said there's another signatory contractor coming with two year of work ! ! Looking mighty Good, Praise the Lord...

Thank you for doing this for the people. God bless you.

Journeyman in Neptune, New Jersey

49 months ago

Guess I should pack my bags and head South.

Gary in Maryland Heights, Missouri

49 months ago

Journeyman in Neptune, New Jersey said: Guess I should pack my bags and head South.

Where do we go??

jerry cook in Greenwood, Indiana

49 months ago

is this forum new because ive seen this same forum 1 year ago.

49 months ago

Maybe...isnt there work at Wishard Hospital?

49 months ago

Guy said yesterday theres was all kinds of work in South Carolina

49 months ago

So what are these projects?

49 months ago

wishard is still a minute out , there demoing the old building that was there , and theres 340 on books here. journeyman

49 months ago

What are you saying....340 sitting the Bench? are you in an Indy Local?? I have a house out there and was thinking on moving out there full time and transfering my book?

49 months ago

yes im in local 758 , they say work here is going to pick up. there is alot of bridge work here going on now , 465 is being done by walsh and milestone, there is a new company here called h.i.s. constructors and they have alot of work in the area and srounding areas . itsgona kick off . i dont know what you do but . i do know there is 340 on the books , and if your looking at wishard try pepper construction there the g.c on it and im sure wilhelm is going to do the concrete package on it , but there will be alot of contractors out there . i hope this helped you out . if you need more names let me know

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

49 months ago

Thank You Jerry. My Lady is an Engineer at Lilly and works with Brothers and Sisters from those locals that work for Wilhelm. I try and spent as much time as I can out there, but giving most of my work is usually here I am back and forth between N.J. and Indiana.. was not quite sure what I was going to do. I know there are several Locals in Indy. I had emailed back and forth a few times with your District Council and they told me I am welcome to come and try to obtain some work wherever I choose throughout that District. Was not quite sure how the BA's would feel about that but man work here is really bad. I have not seen it this bad since the 80's.I again Thank You for getting back to me. I have done many bridges over the years, Power plants, schools,hospitals so on and so on..I am by no means the sharpest tool in the shed, but I am by no means a slug either. I give a good days work for a goods days pay and not being bullied around by some over zelious foreman.

49 months ago

check out 758. there are some good bro. sis. there, some companys still got the hard headed formens but there is not many left. but they are there , you just got to put them in check . most of them just think there gonna lose there job . they keep our bro. and sis. job scared and that is wrong . i wish you luck brother , let me no when your coming here and ill tell u whats going on here . where ever you work tie off jerry cook

Paul Walker in Las Vegas, Nevada

49 months ago

Looking for work in the Carpenter's Union in Minnesota,California,or Las Vegas please email me at Keyley73@gmail.com if you know of any work in these areas...Thanks

camaroz in Marion, Indiana

49 months ago

Well I am in the same boat as everyone else. I thinke the union is the wrong way to go any more.Company's don't want people who have good work skills. Worked in Indianoplis,worked with people who don't even know how to use a tape measure,but know someone in the company so they have work. I have done every type work in construction.I have been laid off for 16months. BA make all kind of excuses. They need to go back into the field again and see were we are coming from. They also need to stop the recruiting of people, and put the people all ready in back to work.

Troy in Mokena, Illinois

49 months ago

I agree with you this is a joke. The BA sit in there office not knowing what it's like to be cashing in change to live. Then they have the balls to send a letter saying If I don't keep up with my dues I'll be suspended. I can't even get a warehouse job because they say I'm to over qualified. I don't see work picking up at all so time to move on to a different career. I'm with you I have been off for about the same time andy unemployment has 13 weeks left then all hell is gonna break loose. Good luck brother

Crowbar53 in Saint Clair Shores, Michigan

48 months ago

Yea, you are 100% correct. All the other unions have a hiring hall to find work but in Detroit since you can solict your own jobs
the out of work list doesn't work. If you do land a job you find out that 50% of these guys either bought their card, never went
through the Apprenticeship or is the son of the Super. Can't even get a job in a factory running a forklift 'cus I'm overqualified.

Went inline to apply for a carpenter job yesterday only to find out it pays $12.oo/hr with your own tools. I've been in union 22yrs. Hall says I need 1 i/2 years more to get Pension. Never thought it would get to this. Sad but true.

jose m sanchez in carol stream, Illinois

48 months ago

I am a concrete foreman form setter ,lay out man hard worker 36 years old .I belong to CARPENTER`S UNION LOCAL #181 union member in good standing for 12 years.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

sandlparker04@msn.com in Missoula, Montana

48 months ago

I am a Local 28 carpenter foreman in Missoul, MT. We (my family) are thinking about relocating to Columbia, SC and wondering about the current job market is there. Wages, jobs, etc. and employers.....I have been with Gordon Construction for about ten years now and have zero complaints about how this business is run. I just completed a beautiful 7 story bank here in Missoula, MT as the project foreman for the GC.....are there jobs like mine in the Union down there??

jose m sanchez in Roselle, Illinois

48 months ago

You know with this economy things have really slowed down alot,but yes there are huge and great jobs just like anywhere else in the world and about relocating well good luck but right now would be a great time to hold on to what you have.

Fizzling out in Phoenix, Arizona

48 months ago

I hear you! My husband has been a carpenter for over 25 years and we started our own framing business 5 years ago. We did well and had tons of work in 2006 & 2007. We only worked 6 months in 2008 and about 6 weeks in 2009! NO work this year at all. Several general contractors we work with went out of business and another just isn't getting jobs, although we are continuing to bid with them. Apparently there are "contractors" (using either illegals or desperate carpenters willing to work for minimum wage) bidding so low that we can't begin to compete if we want to be legitimate AND pay a decent wage. While continuing to bid, my husband has also started to look for a job, but there is nothing so far...

carpenter in Roselle, Illinois

48 months ago

Andrew Smith in Aurora, Illinois said: Tried them several times...You would think with all the miles of highway they are building there would be alot of jobs from them....

This is a company that i have worked for in the past ,but now unless you are related to one of there bosses you will be able to get hired on PLEASE don`t waste your time filling out applications with these guys they never call you have to be in a click if you know what i mean ,it`s not how much you know it`s who you ---------???? know.

Crowbar53 in Saint Clair Shores, Michigan

48 months ago

Help!!! Since work in Detroit is so slow, can someone tell me how good is the work in the Baltimore-Washington D.C. area or within a 50 mile radius. I'm a 22yr. union member. Do mostly formwork, decks footings ect. and some bridgework. Good layout man and can read prints. My sister is moving there next month so I have a place to stay. Any company names and phone#'s would help. Keep the faith brothers, it will get better.

wayne Fitzgerald in Lafayette, Tennessee

48 months ago

Dont expect many things to change, we have a president that loves muslims and homosexules. He has turned americans against americans. Until this anti-christ is out of office America does not stand a chance. Pray for your family, collect unemployment and brace for worst.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Crowbar53 in Roseville, Michigan

48 months ago

Anybody hear anything about work on the Canada Oil Sands project??? I know of 2 guys who went up there. Its good money but job is in middle of nowhere and its in a camp setting.

Todd Cory in Neptune, New Jersey

48 months ago

jerry cook in Greenwood, Indiana said: check out 758. there are some good bro. sis. there, some companys still got the hard headed formens but there is not many left. but they are there , you just got to put them in check . most of them just think there gonna lose there job . they keep our bro. and sis. job scared and that is wrong . i wish you luck brother , let me no when your coming here and ill tell u whats going on here . where ever you work tie off jerry cook

Hey Jerry.How are you doing...I got a few side jobs I have to come out and do not to mention work around the Ranch out by Cloverdale..was wondering if anything is going on out there..I will be out there by May 14th the latest, will most likely be out there at least a Month or more..does not seem like anything will be going on here.I do have a meeting next Monday night but things look and sound bleek from what I have heard....I thank you for any info you may have..Todd Cory Local 2250 Red Bank N.J.

48 months ago

hey let me make some calls tomarrow and ill get back at u , good luck , j.c.

Chris in Plainfield, Illinois

48 months ago

Andrew Smith in Aurora, Illinois said: Tried them several times...You would think with all the miles of highway they are building there would be alot of jobs from them....

are you looking for a union job?

Chris in Plainfield, Illinois

48 months ago

Troy in Mokena, Illinois said: I agree with you this is a joke. The BA sit in there office not knowing what it's like to be cashing in change to live. Then they have the balls to send a letter saying If I don't keep up with my dues I'll be suspended. I can't even get a warehouse job because they say I'm to over qualified. I don't see work picking up at all so time to move on to a different career. I'm with you I have been off for about the same time andy unemployment has 13 weeks left then all hell is gonna break loose. Good luck brother

Hey Troy,
If you not looking for a union gig, let me know.
Chris

Troy in New Lenox, Illinois

48 months ago

Chris in Plainfield, Illinois said: Hey Troy,
Chris

I'm looking for anything that gives a paycheck

stevemoore-#1070-wva in Rivesville, West Virginia

47 months ago

hey bros&sisters iam outof local in west virgina been laid off since dec-09,work here is very bad no releafe in sight got one uneployment check left any body knows anything e-mail me at april_moore40@yahoo.com willing to travel pa-md-vir-oh-kent;been union 4yrs mainly interior metal studs,drywall,framing,cab,doors,cielinggoodluck to all

mad dog in Stanton, California

47 months ago

I have been a carpenter since "96" first generation.I have been out of work for 18 months and no luck at all. It sad how alot of these carpenters are quick to stab you in the back when they do something wrong rather than being man enough to take the blame for themselves. Unfortunatly, in this trade it's not what you know, it's who you know, and who you blow.
I have been told by foremans and supers that I am a good all around carpenter. I'm not afraid to get an ass chewing if i messed up, but i have been blamed for things that i never did in this trade, all because someone does not like you. I'm not one to kiss ass never have never will, I was raised by my father to be a hard worker not a brown noser. Right now the only way for us out of work carpenters to get a job is to be best friends or related with a foreman or the super. But as long as we keep paying our dues why should the union even care? The one's that there are just as bad as the politicans.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

47 months ago

Wow!!!! I couldn't of said it better. You hit the nail on the head. Sad but true.

machineguns in Watertown, New York

47 months ago

Some of the brothers out here want to pass judgment for those that scab and go outside the union like I had to do last year? Well when you're off for 6 months and you get called in for 10 hours of work in that time.............tell me how do you feed your families? How about the working guys that want to criticize send me a supplemental check to cover the mortgage and all the bills that coincide with a having no other options but to do what you gotta do to put food on the table for your family. FxxK the criticizers, they're the ones that polish the apples in this union!

Matt in Arlington Heights, Illinois

47 months ago

Chris in Plainfield, Illinois said: Hey Troy,
Chris

Chris, if you still need help please contact me matthewc9977@yahoo.com. I have over 14 exp in metal framing, drywall, ceilings, and doors(frames and hardware).

I'm in New Lenox, not Arlington Heights

mad dog in Stanton, California

47 months ago

Carpenter looking for work will travel anywhere to keep food on the table and roof over my families head. Please, if know anything e-mail at man_jo3@yahoo.com I know concrete form work, been doing so since "96", have leadman and some foreman exp.
We really have to help each other as the so called union isn't doing anything to keep us informed. A simple letter would be nice to let us know what the hell is going on out there. Why in the hell we pay our dues and they can't even do that.
I have been on the out of work list far to long, the sadest thing is that i have contacted my former supers and foremans that I busted my butt for and they act as if they don't even know me. What kind of crap is that! What's even worse when you try to talk to some of these guy's about work, they try to walk away from you as if your bothering them. Keep your heads up brothers and God in your hearts things will eventually get better. In the mean time do what you have to do weather it be union or non-union work to feed your families. As for the union right now they can KISS MY BUTT! those union reps are sipping champain and eating filet mingon for lunch while we struggle in our homes. They are useless like the politicians!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

47 months ago

The union is in need of revision, rotate those that have worked 6 months on to being laid off and put those not working back to work....they'd have a different opinion about staying union only when they have to remain unemployed for the same! Hang in is easy to say when you're pulling a check every week! How about sit down and let someone else have a shot!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

camaroz in Marion, Indiana

47 months ago

these jackasses {ba's} get no work but hound you for union dues and also if they have to send you a letter letting you know about your dues a $5.00 letter fee. Hard enough to pay dues but give you sh*t like that. We should only have to pay dues if we work.to h*ll with the union just about ready to stand in front of my local with a sign saying f**k the union

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

joey71 in Mount Morris, Michigan

47 months ago

Crowbar53 in Roseville, Michigan said: Anybody hear anything about work on the Canada Oil Sands project??? I know of 2 guys who went up there. Its good money but job is in middle of nowhere and its in a camp setting.

Wow this is Irony-- I got sent out to Vegas back in January for a scaffold evaluation to work at the oil sands in alberta. I passed the evaluation (only 9 out of 24 in class passed)Got my passport and FBI background-- here it is nearly 6 months later and nothing!! Iam also out of local 687 and just absolutely no luck with work, 16 years in the union and feeling frustrated!!! I was always told to be diversified and that I am-- I can do everything from concrete to locksets to scaffold-- now I wonder if it is even a skill, since I have been looking at a "bleak" future!!!

47 months ago

joey71 in Mount Morris, Michigan said: Wow this is Irony-- I got sent out to Vegas back in January for a scaffold evaluation to work at the oil sands in alberta. I passed the evaluation (only 9 out of 24 in class passed)Got my passport and FBI background-- here it is nearly 6 months later and nothing!! Iam also out of local 687 and just absolutely no luck with work, 16 years in the union and feeling frustrated!!! I was always told to be diversified and that I am-- I can do everything from concrete to locksets to scaffold-- now I wonder if it is even a skill, since I have been looking at a "bleak" future!!!

Bleak future?

Try being in the middle of a divorce, unemployed and looking at child support when your 45 in a bad economy with a judge that don't give a damn whether you can find work or not, just send in the payments...........bleak? I'm Sxxxitt out of luck is what I am! And for what, I moved up here for her to be an at home mom, not send my money and her nude photos over the net to other men, yet I'm the one getting shot down in flames? Bleak?????

You got it made! I'm losing my house, my first child and have no opportunities to pull myself out of this mess.....I wouldn't call your situation bleak buddy!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

47 months ago

To Joey71
How did you hear about if they were looking for guys to send up to Canada? I asked the hall 6 months ago to put me on the list. I'm scaffold certified, have Passport, and F.B.I.fingerprint check and never heard another word from them. When I worked in Las Vegas on the City Center project (left in Jan. 2009) I signed up the first time, we had a class of 25 guys of which 18 qualified to go. We even had someone from Canada fly in to talk to us. One thing he did say was oil has to stay above $75/barrel for company to import help from U.S.A. You ask me its all a big scam!!!! How long you been out of work?

47 months ago

machineguns in Watertown, New York said: Bleak future?

Try being in the middle of a divorce, unemployed and looking at child support when your 45 in a bad economy with a judge that don't give a damn whether you can find work or not, just send in the payments...........bleak? I'm Sxxxitt out of luck is what I am! And for what, I moved up here for her to be an at home mom, not send my money and her nude photos over the net to other men, yet I'm the one getting shot down in flames? Bleak?????

You got it made! I'm losing my house, my first child and have no opportunities to pull myself out of this mess.....I wouldn't call your situation bleak buddy!

Whoa we all have our issues and problems in life--if something isnt proper in life I take the initiative and fix it. You cant compare apples to oranges, Iam doing what I need to do- to change the situation--

I hope your situation gets better.

Crowbar,

I have worked about a month this year and that is it-- last year I got most of the year. It seems like every contractor I have worked for is out of business or just have their few steadies and that is it.

If the work is there I will find it -- Im not happy to be off but, I will only worry about what I can control, and not care about what I cant control--

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

47 months ago

joey71 in Mount Morris, Michigan said: Whoa we all have our issues and problems in life--if something isnt proper in life I take the initiative and fix it. You cant compare apples to oranges, Iam doing what I need to do- to change the situation--

I hope your situation gets better.

Crowbar,

I have worked about a month this year and that is it-- last year I got most of the year. It seems like every contractor I have worked for is out of business or just have their few steadies and that is it.

If the work is there I will find it -- Im not happy to be off but, I will only worry about what I can control, and not care about what I cant control--

Oh and by the way Mr Machine GUNS I am losing my house also-- cant pay the mortgage if Im not working. So trust me when I say I worked my A*& off for all of this and losing it -- yea no fun, so I can understand your frustration.

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.