union carpenter

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 642)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

matthew kreitzer in Savannah, Tennessee

86 months ago

ihave paid a lot of money to be a union member and i made some good money but so far none of local unions has help me much my freinds tell me im crazy for paying the dues and not getting no work out of it but some day maybe they will call and i will be ready to travel ps its all in who you know and un fortionatly i dont so if you decied to join use cation

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (85) / No (22) Reply - Report abuse

John in Parkersburg, West Virginia

85 months ago

Hello Brother,

Yea howdy about the lack of employment opportunities within the locals. The affilication wants my money, but its very very few within the brotherhood who get reliable work. I stopped paying dues after a year of un-employment, and now, they threaten me with suspension. I asked them what the difference is between their form of suspension and total un-employment, and have yet to recieve a reply.
I find it quite difficult to continue to pay money into an organization that will not live up to their agreement. If they want my money, they will find me work.
I have seen too many non-union people come on to a job, have their book purchased for them, then begin to earn the high scale money while the long term members remain un-employed. Seems its not what you know, its who you know. Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (77) / No (23) Reply - Report abuse

Rose McKenna in Lowville, New York

85 months ago

Hello!
I am a Carpenter Apprentice too. I have paid out more in dues than
I have worked. I started college on-line and worked toward my BA degree in Project Management. I am lacking 26 credits. I worked on Ft. Drum and after having a run in with a co-worked that did not like minorities that was it. I experienced the same thing in
Union jobs too. I worked a job at Bousch & Lomb and the Foreman made it were I cannot get no work out of my home local, I have to look for work at other locals. Ithaca back in mid 90's was the worse. Many times you are "BLACKBALLED" that will kill your chances of getting a job.One contractor at Ft. Drum, New York did this to me and no one will give me work. It is bad enough when you have strikes against you already, myself for intstance, I am Native/Afro American,female, 54 yrs. old and 94 college credits and no degree.
I remember working in the mid 90's on a Bridge job, I already owned a classic Mercedes Benz I purchased a new one, I later invested in Commercial Property and purchased a new Truck, Oh my god!!! all I ever heard was the word,"Prostitute", after that my old boyfriend say, "You should have bought America", instead of a Mercedes.
When I heard I worked as hard as I could. I worked overtime, Six days a week if I was asked and in all Weather conditions. I had a Carpenter curse me out so bad and all I could do in front of all those guys was walk away. It makes me sick when these idiot people say, "your a woman, minoiry and female you should have no problem getting a job especially in the Union". Luckly for me I spent part of my pay on Antiques, restoration supplies and saved for Booth space at Flea Markets and Antique Shows.
I have ran jobs, became certified in Nuclear Density Testing. So being a two year Carpenter Apprentice does not mean much to me it is just another dead end title. It is like the other Carpenter said in this forum, it is not what you know it is who you know.

I like to hear your feedback.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (38) Reply - Report abuse

Rose McKenna in Lowville, New York

85 months ago

matthew kreitzer in Savannah, Tennessee said: Ihave paid a lot of money to be a union member and i made some good money but so far none of local unions has help me much my freinds tell me im crazy for paying the dues and not getting no work out of it but some day maybe they will call and i will be ready to travel ps its all in who you know and un fortionatly i dont so if you decied to join use cation

Hi! Mathew in Savannah, Tennessee.
Like the other fellow member said I paid dues and no work. I worked an open shop site so I would not end up out on the curb with my property.
Everybody's situation is different,yours could be worse. You should read my comments that I posted. I worked under all kinds of conditions and put up with crap from guys on the job.
One guy that worked, came on board after me started working with the boyfriend I was with at the time. My old boyfriend is
white and he and this other guy started working together. This new guy was new to the trade and knew nothing about Carpentry. I came to the work Trailor one day to see my old boyfriend and the new guy came after me to beat me up. My old boyfriend stopped him.
That guy was against me, being a woman and minority. This guy sent a message out amoung certain people in the Ithaca New York area if they see me, I will be found with a rope around my neck swinging from a tree in the woods. I have no idea what was going on with that member,a want to be Carpenter, but this was the worse Carpenter Union experience with a member. So now you do not have to feel so bad about your loss of work as a member. There is always another member who have had it worse than you. I went to Cornell University, new Construction,spoke Union Carpenter staff at their construction trailor for work, I was denied work there too.
I suggest you move to Dallas, Texas for work ,save some money and work for yourself. Consider becoming your own boss. I wish you lots of luck!.

Rose
Union Membes

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

Bill in Providence, Rhode Island

83 months ago

Im a local 33 carpenter boston I to cant get work for no reason,whats with the unions?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

cant compete in Uniontown, Ohio

81 months ago

Bill in Providence, Rhode Island said: Im a local 33 carpenter boston I to cant get work for no reason,whats with the unions?

the union is losing the market share . I think we have priced unions out of the market . You bid a job and your price is a least 10.00 12.00 a hour to high how can you compete with people who work for 6 months and then they go back to south america . its time to man up BA'S THATS WHAT YOU ARE PAYED FOR .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (39) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

sabry in Cairo, Egypt

81 months ago

my phone mobile+202-0124852854
for work

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (20) Reply - Report abuse

John Patterson in O Fallon, Missouri

81 months ago

im a carpenters apprentice and ive only gotten one job. the dues arent fair if you arent working. does anyone know anything about the online carpentry degrees and how much clout they really carry with contractors. it is all about getting your foot in the door and that usually means kissing butt or having a piece of paper to show off. im thinking of doing it....union or no union i need work. whatever gets me alittle ahead i will do because being a new apprentice when you can already frame, drywall, and paint is not cutting it. i dont like handing boards to others all day isnt cutting it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

Laid off st louis

80 months ago

John Patterson in O Fallon, Missouri said: im a carpenters apprentice and ive only gotten one job. the dues arent fair if you arent working. does anyone know anything about the online carpentry degrees and how much clout they really carry with contractors. it is all about getting your foot in the door and that usually means kissing butt or having a piece of paper to show off. im thinking of doing it....union or no union i need work. whatever gets me alittle ahead i will do because being a new apprentice when you can already frame, drywall, and paint is not cutting it. i dont like handing boards to others all day isnt cutting it.

Is anyone finding work in st louis? I'm not sure if the carpenter's union here does any thing more than give a list of union companies and #'s. Afraid I'm about to loose health coverage. I worked for the largest builder in st louis, so if they are not busy enough to bring me back, no one is, most likely. Any leads anyone (other than Texas)?
Journeyman Carpenter (foreman) out of work 3 months.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Rose McKenna in Deer River, New York

80 months ago

I suggest that if you are a carpenter and not getting work, you should contact ACTUS,LLC on Fort Drum, New York. These contractor's are open shop and there is always work unless it is too cold in the Winter. Call Fort Drum Construction Office for the list of contractor's on base.

I just got out of the union I cannot get any work with them. I have 94 credits toward my BA in Project Management. I also have had entry level engineering position and have been a foreman. I was a second year apprentice.
Rose
Northern, New York

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Laid off st louis

80 months ago

John Patterson in O Fallon, Missouri said: im a carpenters apprentice and ive only gotten one job. the dues arent fair if you arent working. does anyone know anything about the online carpentry degrees and how much clout they really carry with contractors. it is all about getting your foot in the door and that usually means kissing butt or having a piece of paper to show off. im thinking of doing it....union or no union i need work. whatever gets me alittle ahead i will do because being a new apprentice when you can already frame, drywall, and paint is not cutting it. i dont like handing boards to others all day isnt cutting it.

Calling around for a job today either Cinco Interprises Inc in Chesterfield Mo or Creation Building Co in Middletown Mo (pretty sure it was Cinco) said they were hiring 4th term and under. I'm a jouneyman so I cost too much. so much for the papers?! My employer is only hiring apprentices now too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Rose McKenna in Deer River, New York

80 months ago

Start contacting nonunion contractor's, including ones out of state. Do not pay anymore dues.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

michael in Wentzville, Missouri

80 months ago

u guys are probably lazy crybabys if you work hard you will always have a job,i am 22 been in for 4 years and a journeyman/ foreman in st. louis ive worked for 12 companies and have 4 that i jump back and forth between and havent missed a day due to layoff in 2 yrs. you have to work for what you want. when i got laid off i called everyone on that list 3 or 4 times a week... and it all paid off, i show up at job sites dressed in whites and hardhat and found three jobs by just asking..... if you really wanted to work you would.... i want to work to keep what i have and get more, im 22 have 2 kids and a house, boat, 2 cars and love my job...maybe being a carpenter isnt for most of you...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (44) / No (49) Reply - Report abuse

deb

79 months ago

Rose McKenna in Lowville, New York said: Hello!
I am a Carpenter Apprentice too. I have paid out more in dues than
I have worked. I started college on-line and worked toward my BA degree in Project Management. I am lacking 26 credits. I worked on Ft. Drum and after having a run in with a co-worked that did not like minorities that was it. I experienced the same thing in
Union jobs too. I worked a job at Bousch & Lomb and the Foreman made it were I cannot get no work out of my home local, I have to look for work at other locals. Ithaca back in mid 90's was the worse. Many times you are "BLACKBALLED" that will kill your chances of getting a job.One contractor at Ft. Drum, New York did this to me and no one will give me work. It is bad enough when you have strikes against you already, myself for intstance, I am Native/Afro American,female, 54 yrs. old and 94 college credits and no degree.
I remember working in the mid 90's on a Bridge job, I already owned a classic Mercedes Benz I purchased a new one, I later invested in Commercial Property and purchased a new Truck, Oh my god!!! all I ever heard was the word,"Prostitute", after that my old boyfriend say, "You should have bought America", instead of a Mercedes.
When I heard I worked as hard as I could. I worked overtime, Six days a week if I was asked and in all Weather conditions. I had a Carpenter curse me out so bad and all I could do in front of all those guys was walk away. It makes me sick when these idiot people say, "your a woman, minoiry and female you should have no problem getting a job especially in the Union". Luckly for me I spent part of my pay on Antiques, restoration supplies and saved for Booth space at Flea Markets and Antique Shows.
I have ran jobs, became certified in Nuclear Density Testing. So being a two year Carpenter Apprentice does not mean much to me it is just another dead end title. It is like the other Carpenter said in this forum, it is not what you know it is who you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

deb

79 months ago

deb said:

Greetings my Sister,
MY name is Deb and I'm a union carpenter apprentice i Boston, Ma. I agree with all that you say. I'm also a minority and if you get blackballed or if they just don't like you you're in trouble in regards to making a living in the industry. It also sounds like you are a educated sister as I consider myself. I have CS License and want to go back to school for Project Management. I have 130 credits in liberal arts/sociology.What is Nuclear Density Testing allabout? Hope to hear from you soon, it's great to know I'm not aloneeeeee.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

deb

79 months ago

Rose McKenna in Lowville, New York said: Hi! Mathew in Savannah, Tennessee.
Like the other fellow member said I paid dues and no work. I worked an open shop site so I would not end up out on the curb with my property.
Everybody's situation is different,yours could be worse. You should read my comments that I posted. I worked under all kinds of conditions and put up with crap from guys on the job.
One guy that worked, came on board after me started working with the boyfriend I was with at the time. My old boyfriend is
white and he and this other guy started working together. This new guy was new to the trade and knew nothing about Carpentry. I came to the work Trailor one day to see my old boyfriend and the new guy came after me to beat me up. My old boyfriend stopped him.
That guy was against me, being a woman and minority. This guy sent a message out amoung certain people in the Ithaca New York area if they see me, I will be found with a rope around my neck swinging from a tree in the woods. I have no idea what was going on with that member,a want to be Carpenter, but this was the worse Carpenter Union experience with a member. So now you do not have to feel so bad about your loss of work as a member. There is always another member who have had it worse than you. I went to Cornell University, new Construction,spoke Union Carpenter staff at their construction trailor for work, I was denied work there too.
I suggest you move to Dallas, Texas for work ,save some money and work for yourself. Consider becoming your own boss. I wish you lots of luck!.

Rose
Union Membes

Hey Matthew,
Sounds like some good advice that was given to give by Rose. I would just like to add that when given opportunity go and learn as much as you can (hands-on)they can't take that back from you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

deb

79 months ago

Rose McKenna in Deer River, New York said: I suggest that if you are a carpenter and not getting work, you should contact ACTUS,LLC on Fort Drum, New York. These contractor's are open shop and there is always work unless it is too cold in the Winter. Call Fort Drum Construction Office for the list of contractor's on base.

I just got out of the union I cannot get any work with them. I have 94 credits toward my BA in Project Management. I also have had entry level engineering position and have been a foreman. I was a second year apprentice.
Rose
Northern, New York

You go girl

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Brother Mike in Morgantown, West Virginia

79 months ago

Rose McKenna in Deer River, New York said: What is the $80.00 coming from? is it an unemployment subsidy?
If you are receiving unemployment, then the Union will give you additional money to help ends meet.
Let me know if you need further help Brother Mike.

Sister Rose

Sister Rose, The $80. is part of our benefit package here in west virginia. I found out today that the savings is added to the weekly pay, the taxes deducted and then the $2 per each hour worked( $80. per week is )placed in our savings. The deposits are put into our savings quarterly.
Adding the $80. to our weekly pay places us in a higher income bracket. I think that since the $2 is a benefit it should be taxed as seperate entity. Our pay check reflects $22 per hour. Our working dues $40. per week while employed is taken out after taxes. So, it seems that we are being hit hard on the tax end because our $2 benefit added to our payroll says we are making $24 per hour or $960 per week, when in essence, we are being taxed on the full amount, but we won't see any of the savings for a full quarter. Something is not right with this picture, we are having to pay taxes up front on money we will not see for 3 months. Does any of this make since to you? Brother Mike

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Rose McKenna in Fort Drum, New York

79 months ago

You test concrete, soilds and asphalt with a Troxler Gauge. It is a 8 hour class.

Rose

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

michael in Wentzville, Missouri said: u guys are probably lazy crybabys if you work hard you will always have a job,i am 22 been in for 4 years and a journeyman/ foreman in st. louis ive worked for 12 companies and have 4 that i jump back and forth between and havent missed a day due to layoff in 2 yrs. you have to work for what you want. when i got laid off i called everyone on that list 3 or 4 times a week... and it all paid off, i show up at job sites dressed in whites and hardhat and found three jobs by just asking..... if you really wanted to work you would.... i want to work to keep what i have and get more, im 22 have 2 kids and a house, boat, 2 cars and love my job...maybe being a carpenter isnt for most of you...

Just because things are better for you in that part of the country does not mean it is the same for everyone else. I am not lazy and I am not crying about anything. When we have the same treatment as you then we will not make comments. Furthermore why are you on this site? this site is for those who do not have work and pay dues. If you were in our situation and we were in yours, how would you feel if we said this to you. I have been working since I was eleven years old and worked various jobs. I expect that when I big, borrow and damn near steal to pay my dues for someone to refrain from giving me work for a year and a half and say we have not had any calls. Thats what local 747 in Syracuse told me last September and I stopped paying dues. I am not going to work temporary job assignments, and collect food benefits and HEAP assistance then pay union dues. You are not in other peoples situation and you are not in this part of the country. Do not look down on us until you have been where we are.
I would say more but I am not allowed to use dirty language on the wed site.

Very Pissed member!*%$*)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

sister Rose don't be angry at brother Michael, his youth and short time in the Brotherhood has left him without the experiance of a downturn in the economy,a time when jobs become scarce. I hear you say that you have a lot of learning experiance, how much of that was hands on in the field? I find myself having to share my knowledge gained over the years with many of the folks signing up today.In order to keep up with the demand in our area our organizers are signing up carpenters with very little commercial experiance. These new members come in as journeymen and are sent out to jobs unprepared for the reality that commercial is a lot different from residential. Apprentices in the field with 2 or more years experiance feel slighted for they have gained more knowledge in the short time they have been in than those inexperianced res. journeymen that they work next to.
Sister Rose, you can't rely on your rep to always get you a job. Way back in prehistoric times when I was sworn in, there was a list you signed when out of work. There has always been preferential treatment given to friends of the B.A.and other folks in charge, it is the nature of the beast. Most of the better jobs I landed in the past were those I had to seek. When I call across the country and talk to Reps, all the answers are the same, you find your own job then report in and sign up. You will get more opportunity and respect from a contractor when you go to their job site seeking work, tooled up and ready to work. The image being shown to that contractor is one of a carpenter willing and ready to "git er done".
Sister Rose, keep on trucking, go find that job and stick with it. I've had to let my book lapse at times in the past until I was able to find that job in hard times,but once I got on I was able to catch up with all the back dues and recover. This is a situation that happens to many of us that have been in the Brotherhood for some time.Keep your head up and keep on trucken,Brother Mike.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

Hello! Brother Mike,
That was very kind of you to reply to my angry statement. I have called numerous contractor's and showed up on jobs. One contractor that was doing road work was angy because I contacted him and had showed up. The contractor that was located in Binghamton,NY during the summer of 2000, threaten me that I will be charged with harassment and arrested. So it is not always a good idea to call a few times and show up. Remember, New Yorkers can be very nasty, rude, and sarcastic in the construction trade. I remember there was a guy I use to go out with that was in the same local I was in Ithaca, NY., he told me the story about a girl that wanted to be in the union and work., WELL FOR A PRICE!!! she had to give oral sex to several members whenever they asked, when she refused the foreman threaten to fire her. She needed the job so bad to support herself that she continued to have the oral sex with them. It finally ended when a new foreman was hired and became to like her for her and wanted to date her. She told this new foreman about how she had been treated. One guy came up on the site and wanted oral sex with her at work. The new foreman told the guy that is not happening anymore and she is with me now and not ever bother her again.
When I purchased a new Mercedes-Benz,a Pickup Truck, and later purchased a building. I was accused of being a prostitute and a drug dealer. I sold antiques, upholstered furniture, stripped and repaired furniture and performed antique shows. I traded in my classic Mercedes for the new one and I also bought the Truck on credit.
I was raised in a strict Catholic family. I have never sold my body or sold drugs. I was accused of it. I would go to jobs and some of those same guys would be there spreading rumours about me. I would go off and work alone. There was one laborer that would steal my tools. One carpenter stated give the tools back and the suprentendant threaten to fire him if my tools were not returned.
Rose

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

Sister Rose, are you currently practicing the trade, or have you thrown in the towel? I'm 58 and a long way from retirement, My first 15 years of service dissappeared off the books when local 213 was dibanded in houston texas. The only record of my even having been a carpenter in texas is my apprenticeship certificate, and my old dues books. Our retirement funds dissappeared with the trustees who were appointed to administer those funds. Our history is one of good ol boys with hands in the till, but our core values are still strong. I truly believe that for every act of stupidity and greed there are ten acts of great generosity and kindness alive and well in our Brotherhood. Since you were raised as a catholic then you are aware of the 70x7 rule as taught to us by our Brother JC. To you I say forgive and forget and grow with the rest.
Peace Out, Brother Mike

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

Thanks Brother Mike. Yesterday I needed a reference for a different job but I could only use one of the other locals that favored me and gave me work even if it was two days.They were glad and excited to hear from me. I told them I gave up and was no longer in the Union. The union secretary said well she hope that I will come to there local and get back in. Just when I thought I had no friends in the Union and no one cared, another local missed me so much that they hope I will come and join them. I am very better person and discourage to join again after the way my old home local and another one near them treated me. I am done!!! I will go back to college and try to get my BA in Project Management. While I am trying to do that someone told me go for a CDL and work as a Trucker in order to pay for college and avoid loans.
Thanks again and I appreciate your reply to me.
Sister, Rose

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

deb

79 months ago

Greetings,
This is Deb Mason. I'm writing to see if you received my comments.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

deb

79 months ago

Brother Mike,
I'm a 2nd year apprentice in Boston, Ma. and I agree with your advice and I just want to thank you for being a positive brother.
Deb

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

deb said: Brother Mike,
I'm a 2nd year apprentice in Boston, Ma. and I agree with your advice and I just want to thank you for being a positive brother.
Deb

im in local 33 and havent worked in 5 months and they say im on the list lol..........and im a all around carpenter who works for companys 2,3,4 years at a whack,hall hasnt got me a job in 7 years know i need them and the blow me off,I go to all the mettings to.......

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

michael in Wentzville, Missouri said: u guys are probably lazy crybabys if you work hard you will always have a job,i am 22 been in for 4 years and a journeyman/ foreman in st. louis ive worked for 12 companies and have 4 that i jump back and forth between and havent missed a day due to layoff in 2 yrs. you have to work for what you want. when i got laid off i called everyone on that list 3 or 4 times a week... and it all paid off, i show up at job sites dressed in whites and hardhat and found three jobs by just asking..... if you really wanted to work you would.... i want to work to keep what i have and get more, im 22 have 2 kids and a house, boat, 2 cars and love my job...maybe being a carpenter isnt for most of you...

lol in whites your not a drywaller/frammer lol what local do you work out of? We have 3000 carpenters in mine you think you still go right out? If your not connected the youll stave

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

i work for the CDC of St. louis local 1987 most of my work is millwright or general contracting...maybe you should become a more likable person, but there are way to many jobs out there to kiss anyones ass...

79 months ago

all i see is people bad mouthing the union and we wonder why right to work is taking over this country. i dont know about others but if it werent for the union brothers from the past, who mind you did not whine about the dues even if they werent working....all i see on this site is a bunch of babys with the exception of a few bros/sist

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

Bill in Providence, Rhode Island said: lol in whites your not a drywaller/frammer lol what local do you work out of? We have 3000 carpenters in mine you think you still go right out? If your not connected the youll stave

i find my own job, if you want one u could find one too, why wait

79 months ago

Good morning brothers and sisters, I think there are times when we must understand the roots of our Brotherhood. We are freelance carpenters. We have tols and will travel. We are not tied into any one entity or contractor we are joined at the hip and hand by our oath, to honor and support each other. We are free to come and go as we please. We can and do travel from one job to the next, we can go from one area of this contry to the next, we are a mobile work force, our labor goes to the highest bidder, and our work is second to none and getting better. Our spokemen are far sighted. Currently we are courting the hispanic poulation, not to undercut our own but to educate and make these hard working folks a part of our family so that they will not be able to be used and abused by unsrupulous people who are bent on the demise of our Brotherhood. We will either take them in and educate them in the Union Spirit, or their labor will be used to break the chain of solidarity that we are. Don't allow yourselves to become enmeshed in a company's politics at the expense of your Brotherhood. We must Work hard and give a good days labor to any and all companies that we work for so that our work ethic becomes the picture of the true spirit and nature of who we are. We are the Brotherhood, a solid, fun loving, hard working group of Free lance Carpenters wiling to give any contractor the best labor that their money can buy, Why? Because we are the best.
Keep your heads up and keep your nose in it, Brother Mike

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

cant compete in Uniontown, Ohio

79 months ago

hey michael wake up move to northeast ohio and see how easy it is to find work kid.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Rose McKenna in Utica, New York

79 months ago

Why am I hearing the wining and b....ing about paying due when you are not getting work. Paying dues when you have no work, no unemployment and having to barrow, work temporary agencies, or go ask for HEAP assistance in the Winter. Go to Welfare to get a medicade card to pay for medical bills is sad. I remember having to go and ask for government help and various state agencies to get by so I will not be in the street. I receive a letter to pay dues. From what I am hearing if I need food for my child and the union want dues it is better to let my child starve and pay the dues, well I don't think so. I am going to look out for me the best way I can. There is no crying I am telling like it is. I have gone to open shop jobs. I have showed up on jobs when I am seen I see some guys give me dirty looks. It is worse for me being an Native American/Afro American female. I work hard, work overtime, work weekends if asked. I have had guys curse at me, call me names and some racial names, call me a prostitute. I go off and work alone and stay away from other worker's. I avoid union events, parties, etc. It is hard enough being a woman and a double minority at that. It pisses me off to no end when I hear people say that are union and nonunion,"You are a minority and a woman you should have no problem getting a job", that is just another fart in the wind. I remember when I showed up for work with rain gear and other's did not. It was snowing and another union member and I stayed and the other carpenter's said they had not gear and they were not working. They found the next day that I stayed. I was called a trader, and other dirty choice names. They guy that came from another union hall that worked with me they did not say nothing to him at all.
The bottom line is no matter what I do I can't win.
Rose

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

ROSE,your not alone im in 33 boston and they give our money to golf courses well our families are going homeless the union are for the people who are connected and for the outsider the use them.my wife is disable and cost money for insurance its running out and they going to make me quit befor they put me back out.^ months and they say hit the street

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

Good Morning Bill and to your wife,

Thanks for understanding my point. Some of these guys who have everything going for them and get long term steady jobs would not make the comments they do if it was you and me getting work all the time and they were almost in the street for lack of work. I paid dues for well over two years and my union hall would not give me work, mainly because of another contractor's comments. I filed a complaint and the made the union aware of it. The story was changed around and I was told that was almost two years ago. I don't care if it was two seconds ago. If a contractor has a problem with a union member and they want to terminate that member's employment them fine but don't call the Business Agent to the site and say I want him to be here when I fire you. Also this contractor told the union he did not feel I should be in the union. I did not get anymore work one hall did contact me for a job that was two and half days. I went to that job and the contractor was very happy with me and another apprentice. He said you guys finished a lot quicker than I expected. I told him about my situation with the previous contractor, he said I don't know how to put this to you but it seemed to me that the foreman on that job is bias against you racially. I did not know for sure but when I thought about it, there were two black male union eleactricians. One I remembered from a temporary job few years back. He and his co-worker worned me about the foreman, and stated stay out of his way, he will look for a way to get rid of you. I said ok and went on my way to work. There was more that went on with that foreman but too long to explain. I traveled from 45 miles outside Canada to Rochester,NY.
I don't mind hard work, my family, the old timer's were Farmer's and some still are. I am not lazy and I will do any kind of reasonable work as long as it is safe and honest. people say bad things about the Mexican's coming to the US,they make an effort too.
Rose

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Laid off st louis

79 months ago

We can see you're 22, no need to tell us. I have worked as a union carpenter since I was 18, now I'm 35. Infact for the same company-I would have been fired long ago if carpentry were not for me. My company has over half thier men layed off, so do most of the companies I contact. I have never been layed off til now (not even 2 years ago like you, in all of your BIG 4 years). I also have 2 kids, 2 cars, a brand new 3000 square foot home, a vacation home... The union has been good for me in St Louis. One day you might get tired of having so many employers(12 in 4 years?). Why won't one keep you? Are you likeable?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

Well, I am glad that someone is on my side and tell it like it is.
I contacted another local that I was sent out on a job in an emergency for them. I have taken jobs for as little as two and half day when there was a flood at one of the clinic. I have been in the Union ten years off and on. I have been to six companies. Most were the jobs that are short term that other carpenter's will not take far as I am concern work is work.
Those same people at the union hall I helped in emergencies, I contacted for a reference last week. The secretary who sends out apprentices and other member's was upset and felt bad I got out of the union. She told me something I did not expect to hear, that is we would like to have you in our hall. She stated I was welcome to come and join their union hall. This local stays busy but they are over two-hundred plus miles from home. I worked before I stayed in my car and cleaned up and ate at the Truck Stop near by.
Just when I gave up on the union someone out there cared enough to want me to come and work for them. If nothing else work out I will consider moving to that location and work.
This local is in Albany,New York. They have work also near New York City. They pay high and can keep people working but you have to move and relocate. I guess all the union halls are not bad after all.
To the member who accuse people of being lazy that is an understatement. I had my first job at 11 years old babysitting, my second job at 14 was house cleaning at 16 I worked summer's at Internal Revenue Service at 19, I went to Prep school and then to a special college program and received my GED. I worked with the Public Defender's as intern while in college. I later moved to British Columbia Canada and returned to the US and later married a soldier and moved to Germany, I spoke enough German to land two part time jobs rather than wait for the military to give me work.
It was difficult working in a German Law Firm as a Paralegal,German McD's.
Rose

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

I GOT AN E-MAIL LAST WEEK ABOUT THE FED PRISON SYSTEM LEASING LAND AND BUILDINGS FROM THE MILITARY BASES TO SET UP PRISON CAMPS. I GUESS THE IDEA IS IT IS CHEAPER TO LEASE FROM THE MILITARY EXISTING BUILDINGS AND REHAB THOSE BUILDINGS THAN TO PURCHASE PRIVATE LAND AND BUILD NEW JAILS. WHEN READING THROUGH THE INFO., WHAT I NOTICED WAS THAT THE PRISON SYSTEM IS PLANNING ON USING THEIR OWN CONVICT LABOR TO REHAB THESE LEASED BUILDINGS ON BASES. THEY ARE SOMEHOW UNDER THE IMPRESSION THAT THESE BUILDINGS LOCATED ON THE MILITARY BASES WOULD BE OUT OF THE JURIDICTION OF THE DAVIS BACON ACT. SOME OF THE JOBS THAT WOULD BE HANDLED BY THE PRISON LABOR WOULD BE DEMOLITION, PAINTING, CARPENTRY, PLUMBING, ELECTRICAL, JUST ABOUT ALL THE UNION JOBS ONE COULD THINK OF. THE MILITARY IS WASHING IT'S HANDS OF ANY IMPROVEMENTS STATING THAT THE FED. PRISON SYSTEM WILL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR ALL REHAB., THUS CLEARING THE WAY FOR THEIR IN HOUSE WORKERS TO DO ALL THE LABOR. THEY WON'T EVEN HAVE TO PUT THE WORK OUT TO BID. I THINK OUR REPS AND THE REPS OF ALL THE OTHER TRADES SHOULD LOOK INTO THIS PROPOSAL BEFORE IT BECOMES A LAW, A LAW THAT WOULD SET AN UNHEALTHY PRESCEDANT. IF THIS LAW GOES UNCHALLENGED, IT COULD LEAD TO FURTHER EROSION OF DAVIS AND BACON AND THE GREATER POSSIBILITY OF MORE AND MORE FEDERAL PROJECTS BEING HANDLED IN A SIMILAR FASHION. BRING THIS TO THE ATTENTION OF YOUR LOCALS. KEEP YOUR NOSE IN IT, BROTHER MIKE

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

GS in Saint Charles, Missouri

79 months ago

hey laid off in stl, any luck finding anything yet? I was with the same company for 5 years but the low man in the journeyman ranks so when it got real bad i got the boot. Guess i got replaced b/c down at the school they told me the company hired a bunch of first terms. I guess if u hear anything let me know and ill do the same.

79 months ago

GS,
That is what I have been trying to tell other member's but you get a smart A.. that think they know it all. I suggest you go to Albany,NY, they just want some one to work and they do whatever they can to help member's. It is a shame I did not know about them before I entered in the one I left.

Good luck,

Sister Rose

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

GS in Saint Charles, Missouri

79 months ago

hey michael,
You know of anyone hiring, I call the whole list twice a week and drive around to job sites also with no luck. Just need a lead if you got one.

Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

Thanks for your kindness!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Laid off st louis

79 months ago

My old Co has 6 men per house in my subdivision. Normally they have 3 maybe 4. There are 3 foreman with 3 apprentice crews. Just to keep some men working. I have called the list repeatedly and usually only the same few are taking apps but not hiring. I applied.
I am doing side jobs, not much time or gas money to drive around. I have always been told at the sites to go to the office anyway. It would be geat to get a lead. Also a relative works at a local lumber co and has gone from 50 to 24 hours a week. The builders are slow.

79 months ago

If you want to travel to New York State, there is work in Syracuse,NY;Watertown,NY on Ft. DRum Army base, and the Albany,NY area.

I have been treated so bad I gave up on the Union long ago. I am just going to finish up my Bachelorate in Project Management or change over to Engineering Technologies. I am 54 years old and a female, Native and Afro American so those are strikes against me.
I will keep an eye out for other jobs. Watertown is the fastest growing city in the United States right now. Call the New York State Department of Labor in Watertown,NY. They will find carpenter jobs for you.

Sister Rose

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

scott hall in Greensboro, North Carolina

79 months ago

laid off 2years ago

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Laid off st louis

79 months ago

michael in Wentzville, Missouri said: why 12 employers, b/c for the most part i work millwright, i do shut downs and then go back to this general contractor and back to foreman it is. in st. louis there is alot of people off but in the same there are tons of jobs.... you know i talk to a ba and he told me he gets less than 20 calls a week for work thats sad when theres all these people comeplaining they cant find work, and i wasnt refering to all of the brothers and sisters on here im sorry but in st. louis if you want a job you can get one...thats how it is here, any where else im sorry for your misfortune and any one looking for a job email me, in a week or two ill be picking up, rains got us on a little delay...

Talked to two ba last week. Said no one is hiring. The commercial ba said he may have a few days work in a couple weeks. Told to apply everywhere and maybe someone will have been fired or quit the day before, and I'll get lucky. Told not to bother calling companies to see if anyone is hiring.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Robert Wood in Great Barrington, Massachusetts

78 months ago

This is the same way I have survived in the union in western MA for about 8 years now. Generally things have gone well, but this year, 2008, things haven't been working as well, there doesn't seem to be nearly as much work going on and every contractor I have worked with in the past just says, 'the economy is slow' yada yada, and this is in the midst of our local business rep assuring us at meetings that the slow economy will not effect union carpenters too much since we worked on alot of publically funded jobs, etc.

This is the first year since I've been in the union that I have started to think about pulling the plug, doing whatever I need to to survive. I am basically up against it.

And it is not entirely true that," if you work hard, you will always have work." There IS a buddy system within contractors and the union. There are company guys who always have work no matter if I am a better carpenter and worker than them. Breaking into the inner circle of the buddy system is very hard it seems to9 me, you cannot ask too many questions or those in charge basically get defensive, are rather immature, and it works to your disfavor.

So, I dont know what I'm going to do right now, keep looking for work mainly..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Robert Wood in Great Barrington, Massachusetts

78 months ago

Laid off st louis said: Is anyone finding work in st louis? I'm not sure if the carpenter's union here does any thing more than give a list of union companies and #'s. Afraid I'm about to loose health coverage. I worked for the largest builder in st louis, so if they are not busy enough to bring me back, no one is, most likely. Any leads anyone (other than Texas)?
Journeyman Carpenter (foreman) out of work 3 months.

That's all our local has ever done, we are responsible for trying to get work off the lists... Personally, my main complaint about the union is the "free for all" it is in looking for work...its a total joke to me, though I 've been able to do all right until this year.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Rose in Utica, New York

78 months ago

There is mostly work in the Albany, NYC, Utica. Lots of work on Fort Drum, NY Watertown, NY. I do not know if you or anyone can handle the heat. I just received a complaint form from the department of labor to file unfair conditions gainst the union hall I was in. There is a lot of road work here too!

I hope I was of some help!

Sister Rose

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.