What are the best case manager qualifications and training to get ahead?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (17)

Host

What is the best training for becoming a case manager? What types of ongoing training or certifications are necessary to be an effective case manager?

What do non-traditional career paths look like?

Reply - Report abuse

Justin Uwaife in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

94 months ago

I am interested in becoming a Case Manager with your organization but would like to get more information as to where the job opportunities exist is Pittsburgh. Thank you for your assistance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (31) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

Emma (Host) in Stamford, Connecticut

94 months ago

Justin Uwaife said: I am interested in becoming a Case Manager with your organization but would like to get more information as to where the job opportunities exist is Pittsburgh. Thank you for your assistance.

Justin, this is a job forum for people to discuss career related subjects. It's not part of any particular oragnization. First you want to do a job search. Here is one I did to help get you started:
www.indeed.com/jobs?radius=&q=Case+Manager&l=Pittsburgh%2C+PA

Click on a job listing you're interested in and you'll be directed to the original post where you will be supplied instructions on how to apply.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Mari in Escalon, California

87 months ago

I agree Corinne, nursing in general just seems to be a very stressful profession no matter where you work. You just can't seem to get away from it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

James Woolf in Chicago, Illinois

71 months ago

Greetings!
I have been a casemanager now for some 28 years 4 of which were spent w/the Office Of State guardian. Career paths are different with regard to the type of training required. Entry level positions, generally require a minimum of a bachelors degree. Optimally, training should be ongoing throughout the course of your career. Some agaencies, particularly private ones, can provide only limited training, while others provide virtually none @ all. Learning a new job can be quite challenging, even difficult without @ least some guidelines. One of the greatest impediments to self growth in any casemanagement job is an overemphasis on paperwork to meet the federal & state reuirements of the given agency regarding patient care & delivery of services to clients. In fact in many instances, the amount of time spent documenting client services, & level of progress is inversely porportional to time spent with the clients we are hired to serve. This equation is often carried to such extremes in some agencies, that it becomes difficult, if not impossible to effectively manage the size of a given caseload. Purely in terms of numbers some case managers, including myself a few years back were required to manage, & document progress on caseloads as large as 140. This figure however, is certainly not representative of all casemanagers, who on the average can generally anticipate caseload variance of anywhere from 25-50 clients. This would of course, depend upon the type of casemanagement you choose, & the given population of clients served. To truly be effective in our delivery of servicesw/the populations we serve whether, medical, or psychiatric, we are going to have to begin to realize, that more casemanagers will be needed to effectively manage larger resident populations. Purely in terms of numbers, a facility population of 170 residents should have a minimun of 6 casemanagers, which breaks down to approximately 25-30 per caseload. Your comments?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (42) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Adam in Olympia

70 months ago

How would this apply to the Diversion side of Case Management? Do the quals stay the same(bachelors degree)?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

jeffuse in West Orange, New Jersey

52 months ago

do you need to be a licensed RN to be a case manager? do hospitals require you to be one?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (42) / No (36) Reply - Report abuse

dee in Naples, Florida

52 months ago

I am an rn that has worked as a pharma rep for 15 years and now must return to nursing (company downsizing) How do I get into case management. I am a diploma grad working on bsn- done in 1 year. I also am interested in psych. I have taken hours of ceus for both and review courses but you cant sit for cert without recent clinical experience. Augh!! I'm in a catch 22 because I cant get hired without experience and cant get certified without clinical experience. Whats all this nursing shortage I keep hearing about!!!!!!! Frustrated beyond belief.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

sothru in Norfolk, Virginia

44 months ago

Don't do it! I came into the field of human services with high hopes and dreams. Started out working with emotionally disturbed teenage sex offenders, group homes, psychiatric wards, and now mental health case management for the SMI population. For ten years, i have worked harder than i ever expected and at age 32 have gray hair that shows the stress i have experienced. It is truly a learning experience, but at a very high price. This field will fill a void temporarily and answer questions unanswered....it will fill that need to help others, but in the end it will wear and tear on you and ultimately turn your life upside down. If you are able to help people like friends or family....stick with that...because after immersing yourself into this field, you will have little left to give to your family or the energy to build one. You can love this field, but it will never love you back...and that hss been my experience...i am now praying and looking for a way to return to school and do something different. Unfortunately due to the bad economy, this change will not be easy. Good luck, just be aware and take care of yourself in this field. It is no joke.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (54) / No (22) Reply - Report abuse

sja in Brookfield, Wisconsin

30 months ago

Where do I look for case manager cerification classes? I am also looking for any classes before certification if needed to just get into this field. I have been an RN for 17 years and would like to change from on floor nursing to case management.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Pathway Medical in Skillman, New Jersey

30 months ago

SJA... here's some informaton on case management certification that's done through The Commission for Case Manager Certification.

Becoming a Certified Case Manager (CCM) – What You Should Know
pathway-medical.com/blog/2010/04/becoming-a-certified-case-manager-ccm-
what-you-should-know/

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Pathway Medical in Skillman, New Jersey

30 months ago

jeffuse in West Orange, New Jersey said: do you need to be a licensed RN to be a case manager? do hospitals require you to be one?

Jeff: Most hospitals require an RN for any type of case management position. Sometimes LPNs can find work in case management on a temporary/seasonal basis.

Based on our experience staffing case managers at various hospitals and managed care organizations in the northeast, here is what the profile of an ideal case manager would look like for a hospital / MCO to be interested:

Employers require very specific skills, experience, and education, and are willing to offer highly competitive compensation packages to case managers who meet their requirements. Here are some of the things that top-tier employers are looking for:

Hospital Experience:
Leading healthcare employers are searching for RNs with a minimum of three to five years of hospital medical / surgical critical care experience.

Case Management Experience:
To secure a case management position at a top paying healthcare organization, RNs also need at least five years of experience in a case management role.

Education: While most employers require case managers to have a a Bachelor’s Degree, some leading healthcare organizations will not consider a Bachelor of Arts (BA), or a Bachelor of Health Administration (BHA) degree. High-paying employers are specifically looking for nurses with at least a Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) degree.

Certification:
Top paying organizations also want registered nurses with a Certified Case Manager (CCM) credential. Some leading healthcare organizations will compromise by hiring registered nurses that are CCM eligible with the stipulation that they must earn a CCM certification within the first two years of employment.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

rk in Sacramento, California

29 months ago

what exactly makes this job stressful? I trying to decide if i like the specialty ... could someone write a day in the life of a nurse case manager. describe your average day ... urghhh I don't want a job that comes with me when i go home

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Goddess in Atlanta, Georgia

28 months ago

Ugh a little frustrated....Can someone please provide some assistance

I am graduating soon with my B.A. in Criminal Justice with a concentration in Human Service (Mental Health and Substance Abuse). I want to stay at the Healthcare company I work at now been here 5yrs already. I really want to be a Case Manager. What are the requirements after a B.A degree? Is a Masters required? or can you obtain a certification. How can I obtain experience.......Any informaiton will be appreciated

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Jan in Capitol Heights, Maryland

26 months ago

My background has predominantly been in marketing, membership and administration in the healthcare association industry. I recently trained as a life coach and wanted to transition into the healthcare field. I am looking to find out how to start. I am in training to become a course appointed special advocate as there are aspects of case management, and enrolling in courses in this area. I have degrees in Information Systems Management and Mass Communications and completed half of a Masters in Project Managment. I don't want another degree to transition. Any thoughts or recommendations?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Nikki in Fayetteville, Georgia

19 months ago

I have a BA in Health Administration i would like to become a case manager, can i lead me in the right direction to certification with out school.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

bluesy51 in Albany, New York

16 months ago

sothru in Norfolk, Virginia said: Don't do it! I came into the field of human services with high hopes and dreams. Started out working with emotionally disturbed teenage sex offenders, group homes, psychiatric wards, and now mental health case management for the SMI population. For ten years, i have worked harder than i ever expected and at age 32 have gray hair that shows the stress i have experienced. It is truly a learning experience, but at a very high price. This field will fill a void temporarily and answer questions unanswered....it will fill that need to help others, but in the end it will wear and tear on you and ultimately turn your life upside down. If you are able to help people like friends or family....stick with that...because after immersing yourself into this field, you will have little left to give to your family or the energy to build one. You can love this field, but it will never love you back...and that hss been my experience...i am now praying and looking for a way to return to school and do something different. Unfortunately due to the bad economy, this change will not be easy. Good luck, just be aware and take care of yourself in this field. It is no joke.

I have experienced the same burnout in med-surg nursing.. Lets face it the
"helping professions" destroy the helper's lives.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.