Caretaker Training

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (12)

Speaks2Spirits in Zephyrhills, Florida

53 months ago

I recently applied to a Cemetery Caretaker position for a national cemetery. Being a 5 point military veteran, I thought my chances were pretty good. This morning I received an email notice that I didn’t meet the minimum experience requirements for the GS-4 position. So, I’m curious as to how to GET the experience to become a Cemetery Caretaker.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

DRU-ZOD in Cleveland, Ohio

53 months ago

What exactly was the requirements that you did not meet?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

Basically, I was told I didn’t have enough experience in burying people. I can do the landscaping, but how am I to get experience in burying people?

53 months ago

The only way to achieve that is to find a non national cemetery position. I had zero knowledge of cemetery operations when i was hired 3 years ago where im at now. I have 100% knowledge now and could probably get in anywhere now if i wanted to leave for better pay, ect...

Other then that i'm surprised they wont offer any kind of training to you since you are a 5 point military veteran. Have you contacted VA to see if they can help?

53 months ago

Hmmm. Then would that be through a church or through a city or state agency?

53 months ago

Well depending how things are run down in Florida some cities own their own cemeteries, some are private organizations non profit & for profit. It all depends. You can always check with monster.com or jobs.com to see if anythig is available in your area. You may also look up local cemeteries online via google.com and give them a call to see if they are hiring or have temporary work.

53 months ago

Thank you for your help!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

keith in Ames, Iowa

53 months ago

well really all i can tell you is stay at the cemetery your at an learn as much as you can because trying to get into another cemetery is going to be really hard.to tell you the truth i have 13yrs experience in cemetery an 3yrs in cremations an 2yrs in funeral home experience an its hard for me to find employment.also try to see if some of your co-workers are will to help you gain more experience so you have more to off the next job you apply for.if you can get backhoe experience under your belt that will help you out because it's hard to find backhoe experienced backhoe operators in the cemetery field,also when you go to apply for another cemetery position an you have backhoe experience that put you in a position to some what negotate your pay so that mean making more money..........

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Cemetery Informant in Redmond, Washington

47 months ago

The way I got into the business was to hire on the the early spring as a temp. Pretty much did line trimming the whole Summer. By the end, I had made a reputation for myself and got hired on full time. Good Luck!

e vanasse in Fort White, Florida

35 months ago

I am cemetery supvisor in fla and would be happy to have some one that wants too learn about cemetery caretaker job good luck in your search

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

wesl in Lady Lake, Florida

25 months ago

e vanasse in Fort White, Florida said: I am cemetery supvisor in fla and would be happy to have some one that wants too learn about cemetery caretaker job good luck in your search

I live in Webster, Fl. and am trying to get on to the Bushnell,fl cemetery. I applied for gardner and had a conference call between several gardners in the U.S. and the conference did not go well at my end. I have more experience with lawn maintenance and equipment, plus backhoe experience. Cut trees for two years, utilizing chippers,bucket trucks for commercial and residential jobs. I served in the military, have a B.A., and was a federal employee.

Al Melesh in Reston, Virginia

16 months ago

Speaks2Spirits in Zephyrhills, Florida said: Hmmm. Then would that be through a church or through a city or state agency?

You can contact your regional veteran employment coordinator who will help you find employment in your area:
vaforvets.va.gov/veterans/resources/hiringmanagers/rvecs/pages/default.aspx

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.