WORKER IN CEMETERY

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (20)

MIchael in Oakland, California

53 months ago

What is a typical day in the life of a cemetery worker? What are the tasks? I'm writing a minor character in a story and would like to get a feel for this occupation. Any funny stories you can tell me?

Thank you,

Michael

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Anononle in Port Orange, Florida

53 months ago

A funny story.... Well, while working in the cemetery one must not always look down... to be scared.

A elderly woman pulled into our cemetery one day, perhaps to visit her husbands plot. But she herself was in grave danger.

We were working in the cemetery, trimming trees, picking up blowing debris, etc, when an individual dressed in black or dark clothing climbed the fence a ways away. We stopped our task to converse with the individual, and ask them not to climb the fences... but use the gates. As we approached, the person quickly climbed up a nearby tree to avoid us. Turns out, the "Black bear", was just looking for a place to take an un-interupted nap, within 100 feet of the elderly woman.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

MIKE in Cortlandt Manor, New York

53 months ago

THE FUNNIEST THING THAT EVER HAPPENED TO ME IN THE CEMETERY WAS I BROUGHT MY SON WITH ME TO MEASURE OUT A GRAVE FOR THE GRAVE DIGGER AND HE WAS LEANING ON THE HEAD STONE AND SAID TO ME DAD WHAT WOULD YOU DO IF A HAND CAME UP AND GRABBED YOUR ANKLE I SAID TO HIM WHAT WOULD YOU DO HE SAID I WOULD RUN SO FAST AND GET OUT OF THERE AND I ASKED HIM WHAT ABOUT ME HE SAID SORRY DAD YOUR ON YOUR OWN BUT THE SCARIEST THING THAT EVER HAPPENED WAS I FELL INTO A OPENED GRAVE PAST MY KNEE IT'S QUITE SCARRY WHEN THAT HAPPENS

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

mariflex in San Diego, California

48 months ago

MIKE said: I AM A CEMETERY WORKER AND IT IS NOT AS BAD AS PEOPLE THINK WHEN PEOPLE ASK WHAT I DO FOR A LIVING AND I TELL THEM THEY ASK ME HOW CAN I DO THAT I TELL THEM IT'S A JOB AND IT PAYS WELL MY DAUGHTER TELLS ME IM MORBID I TELL HER MY JOB IS SECURED AND PEOPLE ASK ALL KINDS OF QUESTIONS SO IF YOU WANT TO KNOW MORE LET ME KNOW

what they required too work there

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

mariflex in San Diego, California

48 months ago

what do they required for this job

MIKE in Cortlandt Manor, New York

48 months ago

THE REQUIREMENTS ARE REALLY IMPORTANT THE MOST IMPORTANT THING TO KNOW IS WHERE THE PERSON IS GOING TO BE PLACED TO REST IN PEACE SOMETIMES YOU HAVE TO BE SURE THE LOT IS EMPTY WHAT YOU WOULD DO IT IS CALLED PROBING BY PROBING YOU TAKE A METAL CROW BAR AND STICK IT IN THE GROUND THAT WILL TELL YOU IF THE PLOT IS EMPTY YOU PROBE TO FIND OUT IF THE PERSON IS GOING TO BE PLACED IN THE PROPER SPACE AVAILABLE IF YOU PROBE AND HIT A SOLID OBJECT IT IS EITHER A CASKET OR A VAULT WE USE A MAP OF THE GRAVE TO FIND OUT IF SOMEONE ELSE IS BURIED THERE.

m.s in Roscommon, Michigan

46 months ago

MIKE said: I AM A CEMETERY WORKER AND IT IS NOT AS BAD AS PEOPLE THINK WHEN PEOPLE ASK WHAT I DO FOR A LIVING AND I TELL THEM THEY ASK ME HOW CAN I DO THAT I TELL THEM IT'S A JOB AND IT PAYS WELL MY DAUGHTER TELLS ME IM MORBID I TELL HER MY JOB IS SECURED AND PEOPLE ASK ALL KINDS OF QUESTIONS SO IF YOU WANT TO KNOW MORE LET ME KNOW

can you give me your email address? I do have some questions about job description, or could you just give me a basic rundown of it.
thanks
m.s

bryceblanton in Phillipsburg, Ohio

46 months ago

MIchael in Oakland, California said: What is a typical day in the life of a cemetery worker? What are the tasks? I'm writing a minor character in a story and would like to get a feel for this occupation. Any funny stories you can tell me?

Thank you,

Michael

Michael,i started working at this cemetery when i was sixteen.Now 12,000 people and 22 years later its hard to find anyone who cares or even takes pride in what they do.I dont make much money and cemetery work is very hard at times.I use to look at the names on the burial slips but not any more.We now have 30,570 residents in the marion cemetery.Over the years many of my family and friends including my mother,sister,nephew and too many friends to mention.I guess i go in to work every day waitting for my name to show up on one of the burial slips and become another number on a piece of paper.I just hope that when its my turn Michael the person who buries me for 8 dollars an hour makes sure my vault lid is on correct so water cant get in.Who am i kidding i have dug up many of people over my life time of cemetery work and every one had water in the vault except for a cremation or two.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

mike

46 months ago

a typical life in a cemetery is priorities first in any cemetery the first is taking care of the deceased the next proirity is making sure that the grass is well taken care of any thing that brings in money is priority we make foundations for stones that is very important i am in charge of creamations the whole thing in a cemetery is priorities whats important what is least important and very important is that the equipment is in good working order the back hoe the dump truck the lawn mowers with out them you can't do any thing

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Nathan in Phoenix, Arizona

46 months ago

When the zombies attack, you will be the first to go. :(

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

UNNT in Fresno, California

45 months ago

What are the skill requirement? Do you have to directly clean the dead bodies or just handling the casket, if ever? There are the guys that dig and ect, what about the guy that just watches and maintains the cemetery? How many positions are related to the graveyard. I want to take care of cemeterys.

mike

45 months ago

you never handle the bodies that is up to the funeral director they do all that. all you do is carry the casket to the final resting place and you put it on device to lower the casket into the ground there are many positions in the cemetery but you need more then one person to take care of things you must maintain the grass if any we have four of us plus a summer helper are secretary she makes the arrangements the supervisor marks out the area were people purchase the lots i am in charge of cremations i put the ern into the resting area i also operate the back hoe but the asst supervisor is the digger

UNNT in Fresno, California

45 months ago

Hi, thank you for the great info. This is my type of job. Im going to try to have at least 1 Cemetery Caretaker job in my life. Hoping it can lead to a longer career type of job.

mike

45 months ago

your welcome if you need any more info feel free to ask your friend mike

mike

45 months ago

nathan in arizona grow up fool

Darren in Reno, Nevada

45 months ago

mike said: your welcome if you need any more info feel free to ask your friend mike

I must add this to Mike's posting. It is the greatest job in the world. It's very peaceful and it's not hard to learn but it does how ever take practice. I use to work in a couple cemeteries including a Veteran's. I loved it but left the industry because I was stupid. I wish I could get back into it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Wilfredo Alvarez in Brooklyn, New York

30 months ago

Hello. I enjoyed reading all the comments above and I know I am 15 months late on this subject I wanted to know where do I start to become a groundskeeper for a cemetery to later work as caretaker? Do you go directly to the cemetery and ask for an application or do they require online and resumes? Is it a city job or private? Any helpful suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

little cat in Edgewater, Florida

25 months ago

mike said: your welcome if you need any more info feel free to ask your friend mike

How do you get a job were do you go and schooling?

timothyjohnson07@yahoo.com in Hattiesburg, Mississippi

24 months ago

hi can you please email me info about getting a cemetary caretaker job in NYC, and tell me about the job.. Thank u

g-digger in Peoria, Arizona

21 months ago

little cat in Edgewater, Florida said: How do you get a job were do you go and schooling?

Schooling is not necessarily necessary. Most training is on the job, theres nothing really that can prepare you for cemetery work besides cemetery work itself. A sense of honor, duty, and respect is paramount(at least in my mind) followed by a good sense of humor, and the ability to compartmentalize(the grief you witness). A good strong back, a little knowledge of hand tools(read shovels), power tools, and heavy equipment is a plus. As far as where to go to find the job the cemetery office is a good place to start, ask for an application, or to speak with the superintendent. Private cemeteries(most are owned by conglomerates) are alot easier to get hired on than public ones(VA parks are near impossible), or check with you local Catholic diocese(the largest cemetery owner on the planet). Look respectable and be respectful.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.