Starting out...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 86)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Host

How did you get your start doing chaplain work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

Reply - Report abuse

jonathan hevita in Fairfield, Connecticut

93 months ago

Host said: How did you get your start doing chaplain work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

How do you get started,applying for chaplain position in CT .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Charlie in Aston, Pennsylvania

89 months ago

Chaplains are well educated people. One normally have to hold a Master in theology plus a four units of Clinical Pastoral Education. In addition, many healthcare systems require that chaplains be certify by APC, NACC, NAJC. As a person, a chaplain has to be a good listener and help other by being a listening presence. This are just few requirements. There are many more than these.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No Reply - Report abuse

Nancy Tofflemire in Indianapolis, Indiana

85 months ago

jonathan hevita in Fairfield, Connecticut said: How do you get started,applying for chaplain position in CT .

Go online to that state's webpage and find and get your application. Contact your denomination's HQ and find out about ecclesiastical endorsement. Many require a church's or parachurch's endorsement. Prison chaplains are required to have a M.Div., 1 unit of CPE, ordination and 2 years of ministry experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Nancy Tofflemire in Indianapolis, Indiana

85 months ago

Host said: How did you get your start doing chaplain work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Check with your local hospital about their Clinical Pastoral Education program. You could do an internship there. For state and federal chaplain positions, you need a M.Div. (master's of divinity) degree, ordination, 1 CPE unit, 2 years of ministry experience and ecclesiastical endorsement.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Jackie in Schaumburg, Illinois

78 months ago

Are there any Catholic female chaplains out there who can provide some wisdom on the process of finding a job before board certification? What did you do for Church endorsement?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Nancy Tofflemire in Mississippi

78 months ago

Call your national HQ for the Catholic church. You might call a local hospital and ask for a Catholic priest. Most large hospitals will have a Catholic priest on staff. You could check for CPE (Clinical Pastoral Education) sites and contact them. You need an ecclesiastical denomination board to give you ecclesiastical endorsement. I don't deal with many Catholics so I can't tell you where the national or state offices are. You might start with a local parish priest for contact info if you do not have any.

Nancy

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Nancy Tofflemire in Mississippi

78 months ago

jonathan hevita in Fairfield, Connecticut said: How do you get started,applying for chaplain position in CT .

At least a BA is required in getting into chaplaincy. Hospital chaplains do not need an advanced degree, MA, M.Div. necessarily. You can do a Clinical Pastoral Unit to get your foot in the door at a hospital. In the county/local level, you can probably get in as a chaplain with much less experience. For the state or federal level, you will probably need a M.Div. or its equivalent. Look at job searches on the state's website. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Lee Stewart in Newbury Park, California

77 months ago

Jackie in Schaumburg, Illinois said: Are there any Catholic female chaplains out there who can provide some wisdom on the process of finding a job before board certification? What did you do for Church endorsement?

I worked with a Female Roman Catholic Chaplain, she had an MDiv,& completed her CPE's as part of that & then went on to do a DMin, but I do not know if she would have been hired without the Doctorate, but as a result the local RC Diocese employed her to teach courses to the laity.

In the UK, there are RC Laity, both men& women who serve as:Air Training Corps Chaplains(which is a youth organisation sponsored by the Airforce), as long as they supported by a RC church.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Pet in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

76 months ago

Let me tell you. If you do not have the education and the experience you will not get a job that easy. Most hospitals and other healthcare facilities require a masters CPE and borad cetification.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Emmitt Furner in Clarksville, Tennessee

76 months ago

What is the application process for becoming a FBI, DEA, or US Marshal chaplain? Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Sister Kathleen in Baton Rouge, Louisiana

75 months ago

Jackie in Schaumburg, Illinois said: Are there any Catholic female chaplains out there who can provide some wisdom on the process of finding a job before board certification? What did you do for Church endorsement?

Hi Jackie, I served as a Catholic female chaplain - I had master's certification in pastoral ministry and more than three years of pastoral experience - I had equivalent CPE traiing - in our state you have to be a priest, a deacon, or a religious sister to receive the bishop's endorsement and the requirements of the state prisons. Hope this helps. I am a late vocation sister - I entered religious life after the death of my husband. I was 67 at the time - I guess each state and each diocese have different requirements. Hope this helps. Sister Kathleen

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

cari in El Cajon, California

71 months ago

Sister Kathleen in Baton Rouge, Louisiana said: Hi Jackie, I served as a Catholic female chaplain - I had master's certification in pastoral ministry and more than three years of pastoral experience - I had equivalent CPE traiing - in our state you have to be a priest, a deacon, or a religious sister to receive the bishop's endorsement and the requirements of the state prisons. Hope this helps. I am a late vocation sister - I entered religious life after the death of my husband. I was 67 at the time - I guess each state and each diocese have different requirements. Hope this helps. Sister Kathleen

Dear Sister Kathleen:

Can you tell me which order accepted you as a late vocation? I have not had much luck finding an order that will accept me -- I'm 54 and will be 56 when I complete my education. Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Diane Peterson in Bridgeport, Connecticut

70 months ago

Jonathan -

I am currently a Chaplain intern at Bridgeport Hospital completing my first unit of CPE (Clinical Pastoral Education). This is a requirement for my ordination. However, four units of CPE are required for certification and opportunity to be considered for Chaplain positions. There are ways in which you can do this here in Connecticut. My plan is to complete this unit which ends in April 2009 and then take a residency from August 2009 - May 2009 which will give me the remaining 3 units I would need. I would suggest that you contact me and we can discuss further.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Debbie Allen in Jacksonville, Florida

65 months ago

Nancy Tofflemire in Mississippi said: At least a BA is required in getting into chaplaincy. Hospital chaplains do not need an advanced degree, MA, M.Div. necessarily. You can do a Clinical Pastoral Unit to get your foot in the door at a hospital. In the county/local level, you can probably get in as a chaplain with much less experience. For the state or federal level, you will probably need a M.Div. or its equivalent. Look at job searches on the state's website. Good luck!

All the hospitals in my area require Board Certification or eligibility for it. That means an MDiv, a minimum of 4 units of CPE, ecclesiastical endorsement and ordination.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

EDWIN BARBOSA in Miami, Florida

65 months ago

KEEP ME INFORM AND WHAT SCHOOLS HERE IN MIAMI OFFERS MASTER'S IN DIVINITY.

Kim Mahaffey in Westland, Michigan

63 months ago

Thanks for all your advice. I am obtaining a B.A. in religious studies. My plan is to go over to Beaumont Hospital to do my first CPE unit and I am thinking about go to ETS seminary to get a M.Div. I was wondering if that degree is the same or higher than a M of Theology or for the chaplain position which one would help me most?

Marsha in New Orleans, Louisiana

62 months ago

Kim, an M.Div. is what most expect if you're pursuing ordained ministry. I also recommend applying to Bronson Methodist in Kalamazoo for a residency; their supervisors are terrific.

Cari in Yorba Linda, California

62 months ago

cari in El Cajon, California said: Dear Sister Kathleen:

Can you tell me which order accepted you as a late vocation? I have not had much luck finding an order that will accept me -- I'm 54 and will be 56 when I complete my education. Thanks.

Cari: Did you ever receive an answer from Sr. Kathleen? She belongs to the Eudist order founded by Mother Antonia. The book, Prison Angel is about Mother's life. Dolores

Ellen in Savoy, Illinois

62 months ago

To become certified by the NACC, the application materials includes a letter from your pastor which is then forwarded by the NACC to the Bishop of the Diocese you work/live who provides the NACC an endorsement.

In my experience most hospitals will hire a person who will be able to be certified in a reasonable time frame (I assume you have a Master's and 4 CPE units). As a female Catholilc chaplain, I do not think the process for me to secure my job was any different than it would have been for a man and/or a person from a different denomination.

Virginia in Oakland, California

60 months ago

Oh yes, Jackie, there is much to learn about the process of finding a position as a chaplain before board certification. First of all: Board Certification is essential for working in any reputable institution. So, it is very important to become Board Certified first! It is a pity that some health care institutions require only one or two units of CPE, and do not honor or respect Board Certification. Unlike other professionals on the interdisciplinary health care team, health care chaplains are not regulated by the state and are not required to obtain licensure. Therefore, health care chaplains must work hard to maintain professional standards. The sine qua non is, of course, Board Certification by a national professional organization(most commonly APC - www.professionalchaplains.org - or NACC - www. nacc.org). Church endorsement is not a problem for a chaplain who has the appropriate academic credentials; you simply make an appointment with your bishop along with a "parishioner in good standing" letter from your local pastor, and the bishop will endorse you. Kudos to women in ministry, particularly in the RC Church. It is unfortunate, however, that Catholic women who actively seek priesthood are de facto unable to get endorsement from their local dioceses. Peace and all goodness, Virginia.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Judi923@att.net in Waterbury, Connecticut

59 months ago

Hi
I found work after 4 units of Extended CPE education (at Bridgeport Hospital) in a ia city hospital.
I have a nursing backround, but, do not have a master's degree.
It is possible to find work without a MDiv but, you are limited in the field.
My plan is to complete a residency and have even more experience in a large hospital setting.
Having started on my path in my 50's it was challenging to find my niche, but, I I did!.
I prefer working with the very ill(Hospice pts) and those in the ICU units, and
enjoy communicating with staff and families at a large, inner-city based hospital.
Chaplain Judi Pavan

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

59 months ago

Thanks J for your comments. It helps because I starting out in my fifties also and I stil have to do my CPE unit starting in May this year after my graduation in May.

Chuck Hazard in Milford, Connecticut

58 months ago

Diane Peterson in Bridgeport, Connecticut said: Jonathan -

I am currently a Chaplain intern with Bridgeport Hospital completing my first unit of CPE (Clinical Pastoral Education)
CPE is over at the VA Hospital in W.Haven.

58 months ago

Judi923@att.net in Waterbury, Connecticut said: Hi
I found work after 4 units of Extended CPE education (at Bridgeport Hospital) in a ia city hospital.
My plan is to complete a residency and have even more experience in a large hospital setting.
Having started on my path in my 50's it was challenging to find my niche, but, I I did!.
enjoy communicating with staff and families at a large, inner-city based hospital.
Chaplain Judi Pavan

Are you there now?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

ChuckRHazard in Milford, Connecticut

58 months ago

Hello everyone!
I have been in my first CPE Extended unit now 10/2009 - May-2010. Called to Pastol Care! I only have some college courses. No 4 year degree or MDiv. How can I get income to help paid for my education. I have been a volunteer with Hospice. Wife wants me to get any job, just help out with the cost of living. My Graphic business has become a hobbie now. I have been helping out with my services for churches without paid.
I have experience over twenty years in Christian ministries and as a small business owner in media marketing communication. Started and developed media communication business from start-up in product marketing. I was responsible for strategic planning, sales management, training, coaching, marketing, graphic design, production management, client relations, event planning, and community outreach.
I am innovative, multi-talented, with seeking a positive future with unlimited possibilities in church ministries. Greatest strengths are visionary, to think or do things in new ways and to manifest a joyful abundance.

Church ministry:
• Demonstrated love for God and for people
• Consistent Christian walk for over 29 years
• Active connection to a local church
• Strategic vision
• Call to evangelism and pastoral care
• Strong communications skills
• Excellent management and leadership abilities
• Successful volunteer and paid ministry experience
Fundraising experience
• Organization Management
Administration
• Staff Management
• Entrepreneurship
• Board Development
• Ministry
Community Relations
• Technology
• Educational Training

Virginia in Berkeley, California

58 months ago

Evangelism is a special calling. Chaplaincy and evangelism are mutually inconsistent. Chaplaincy is a specialized ministry in a specific setting. For health care chaplaincy, the ministry is usually in a hospital, clinic or hospice. The chaplain is working for the health care entity, and specifically not for a church, denomination, or faith group. You are there to provide spiritual support for patients/clients in that specialized setting. Evangelism is not appropriate. Chaplains who evangelize should be dismissed. It would be better for anyone called to evangelism to work in a congregational setting, for a church or for a church mission.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

58 months ago

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

58 months ago

I think you are right about being a good listener, but there is nothing wrong with evanglizing if the person is confused about their faith. Prayer is always good no matter what the faith. I agree that you should not set out to persuade people but you are as a chaplain obligated to listen and help out whatever situation a person or a family maybe in need of.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

58 months ago

What about when to meet with a person that is of a Christian faith? I think that this is an open door to prayer and life up the Lord.
Yes you do not push faith on anyone, that does not want to hear!
We are their for the needs of evey patient.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Marsha in Tucson, Arizona

58 months ago

Kim and Chuck, I'm afraid you're both mistaken. A chaplain has no business evangelizing. Our job is to provide spiritual support in a time of crisis - not to convert people to what we believe, or even to our personal interpretation of Christianity, if the person happens to be a Christian. We are expected to respect their faith systems.

If you struggle with that (and there's nothing wrong with this; chaplaincy certainly is not easy), I'd suggest you look for a different ministry. You won't last long in chaplaincy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

58 months ago

What do you mean by personal interpretation of Christianity?
How long have you been a Chaplain?

Marsha in Tucson, Arizona

58 months ago

Well, Chuck, there are various forms of Christianity. Catholic, Protestant with broader leanings, Protestant with more conservative leanings. Personal experience plays a large part in how one expresses one's Christian beliefs.

I've been a chaplain for two years.

Jackie Carlton in Chicago, Illinois

58 months ago

Hello all,

I just have one question as I read over this thread: what is meant by evangelism in this context? Is it understood as bringing God into a situation with intent to "convert" as it were or an intent to heal?

I have been a chaplain for 4 years, still in the board eligibility stage. Chaplaincy has really made me wrestle with my faith and with how I apply my faith in different settings. It has been, and will continue to be extremely crucial to ask a patient about their faith life before pursuing a faith-centered conversation with them. In training, supervisors teach students methods of spiritual assessment, and those methods become every more important to hold on to especially when you change hospital contexts, since one may encounter patients from many different faiths.

Here in Chicago, I've encountered and have said prayers with Jews, Muslims, Hindus, Wiccans, and fellow Christians. One of my understandings about chaplaincy is that we are there to pray with and for patients when they are simply unable to do it for themselves. This has NOT made me cast doubt or question my own faith in God--it has strengthened it.

So I can see where evangelism--if what is meant by it is bringing God into a conversation with intent to convert a patient into one's own ideas--is problematic. However, if we listen to the patients, their understanding of God, YHWH, Allah, Krishna, etc., and utilize that knowledge to stand beside the patient in their faith, the conversation then becomes sacred, powerful and real.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

rosie in Brazil

56 months ago

hey everyone! my mom is looking into becoming a chaplain in a hospital. she only has had an associate degree BUT she has been serving the Lord as a missionary for about 28 years now.. lots of counseling among other things... what are the chances of her getting a job with all the experience she carries?

56 months ago

Hi, Rosie! It depends on the hospital. Most hospitals require a Master of Divinity, or some seminary training, in order to be a chaplain.

However, I would encourage her to look into hospice chaplaincy. Many hospice programs don't require the training listed above, but would be thrilled to have someone with her background & experience.

rosie in Brazil

56 months ago

thanks Marsha! will look into that :)

Bobbi in Columbus, Ohio

54 months ago

Virginia in Oakland, California said: Oh yes, Jackie, there is much to learn about the process of finding a position as a chaplain before board certification. First of all: Board Certification is essential for working in any reputable institution. So, it is very important to become Board Certified first! It is a pity that some health care institutions require only one or two units of CPE, and do not honor or respect Board Certification. Unlike other professionals on the interdisciplinary health care team, health care chaplains are not regulated by the state and are not required to obtain licensure. Therefore, health care chaplains must work hard to maintain professional standards. The sine qua non is, of course, Board Certification by a national professional organization(most commonly APC - www.professionalchaplains.org - or NACC - www. nacc.org). Church endorsement is not a problem for a chaplain who has the appropriate academic credentials; you simply make an appointment with your bishop along with a "parishioner in good standing" letter from your local pastor, and the bishop will endorse you. Kudos to women in ministry, particularly in the RC Church. It is unfortunate, however, that Catholic women who actively seek priesthood are de facto unable to get endorsement from their local dioceses. Peace and all goodness, Virginia.

You make endorsement sound easy. I converted to the Roman Catholic faith. Before doing so I was a protestant chaplain in the prison system for 15 years (as a contractor). I have an M Div and 1 unit of CPE. The prison is willing for me to continue but I need a letter of endorsement and the Bishops' office does not want to use that word..or the word "appoint". Can you shed some light on why that might be? and what I can do? Thanks, Bobbi

Chuck in Port Saint Lucie, Florida

53 months ago

I currently hold a masters degree in theology. I have experience in local churches doing, Hospital visitations, Counseling & teaching as well. I am looking for a position as a Chaplain. hospital, hospice what ever is available. But I was told that I would need CPE's and the closest facility is in Orlando, Fla. which is a 4 hr.one way trip! Can anyone recommend what I can do or where to start! thanks in advance.

53 months ago

Chuck, virtually every hospital with a quality pastoral care department will require at least one, and probably as many as 4, units of CPE for a chaplaincy. Hospice is different. Many hospices don't even know what CPE is, I have found.

I strongly recommend at least one unit of CPE, if you can do it; an extended unit is easier on the pocketbook than an intensive unit because it's difficult to impossible to be part of an intensive unit and be employed elsewhere at the same time.

However, if you'd rather avoid CPE, check with hospice programs in your area. I'm sure many fine hospices would be delighted to find someone with your skills & experience. And, though it may sound a little calculating (it isn't meant to), hospice pays much better than hospital chaplaincy as a rule, so I'd suggest pursuing it for that reason alone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

CHUCK in Port Saint Lucie, Florida

53 months ago

thanks Marsha!

Would anyone else like to comment?

Karen in Detroit, Michigan

52 months ago

Hello my name is Karen,

I have read everything each person has said, which for me has been very interesting. I am into the second part of my life. The Lord called me to Minister when I was 27yrs. old I was not ready. here it is 20 yrs. Later I am so ready. I have attended the University of Metaphysics I recieved a B.A. in Metaphysical Science. Currently I am pursuing my Masters Degree in Divinity studies, which I shall be finish January 2011. After that time I plan to go to Sinai Grace Hospital and speak with someone about the CPE units of Education. I did not want to go there empty handed, I want to show that I am trying, I also have experience working as a crisis counselor 7 yrs. currently I minister at a Nursing Home. I am wondering can someone give me some feedback and tell me how successful do you think I would be. I hope you all are familiar with Metaphysics.....Thank You Everyone in advance.

Elaine in Saint Paul, Minnesota

51 months ago

Hi, Judi -

It's great to hear that you're working as a chaplain and started on this path later in life. I'm attending school now to pursue a Bachelor's in Religious Studies and plan to get an M.Div through a local seminary. Sounds like it's possible to complete CPE credits and begin work as a chaplain in advance of that - good to know. I am 43 and just starting college.

Judi923@att.net in Waterbury, Connecticut said: Hi
Chaplain Judi Pavan

Katharine in Rohnert Park, California

49 months ago

Hi Everyone,

I'm starting my education to become a Chaplain. I'm also in a denomination that doesn't ordain women -- Orthodox Christian. My question is: how easy or difficult is it to obtain work as a Chaplain? It's a long haul to get the education and CPE units. I just want to be confident that it is possible also to land a job. I live in Sonoma County, north of San Francisco.

Thank you!

49 months ago

Katharine, I would recommend that you look at hospice if the long term education is daunting. Obtaining work as a chaplain is a real challenge if you hope to serve only in a hospital setting; most require the seminary degree plus extensive training in CPE.

Hospice is a wonderful, caring service that is a specific type of chaplaincy. If you have a gift for helping families in the process of losing a loved one, hospice may be the best thing for you!

Do some research online about chaplaincy itself; the ACPE website and the APC (Association of Professional Chaplains) are great resources.

Good luck to you!

DHuntCT in Port Charlotte, Florida

47 months ago

Chuck Hazard in Milford, Connecticut said:

I am just starting my search. I live in Trumbull and am interested in serving as a hospital chaplain in my area of CT. I have an MDiv, several years of ministry experience but no CPEs.

Should I just show up at a local hospital and see what happens?

Rev Deb

DHuntCT in Port Charlotte, Florida

47 months ago

Chuck Hazard in Milford, Connecticut said:

I am just starting my search. I live in Trumbull and am interested in serving as a hospital chaplain in my area of CT. I have an MDiv, several years of ministry experience but no CPEs.

Should I just show up at a local hospital and see what happens?

Rev Deb

47 months ago

Hi Rev. Deb,
Absolutely! I think that you should apply to all of the hospitals and see what happens.
You've got an Mdiv And experience. Great!!!
I would really think about what I really love to do, and then just
go to it.

Best of luck.
Chaplain Judi

47 months ago

It couldn't hurt, Deb, though many hospitals would require you to be a board certified chaplain, which requires a minimum of 4 units of CPE.

As I mentioned to someone else, if you would consider it, hospice chaplaincy would be a wonderful opportunity, and many don't require the CPE training we've discussed here. With your experience and credentials, I'm sure you'd have no problem finding a position.

47 months ago

I had a nursing bsckround for over 25 years; but abut 8 years ago I had a "calling" to do the Lords work.
I have always loved Hospice work, and liked caring for the very ill. It was very fulfilling to me, and I met some pretty awesome people!
I started to volunteer at one of our city hospitals, and the clergy staff there informed me of the CPE program and what I could expect, so I started a residency (9 months) at a large urban hospital.
I also took some college courses in counseling and physcology.
I continue to work for them and a smaller hospital now a chaplain.

I am a volunteer at a cancer center, and co-facilitate a bereavement group once a week.

So, like me maybe you can think of what ministry interests you.
Most people have a bachelors degree (not absoulutely necessary)
when they start chaplain work, then some go highr with a Masters in Divinity.
I am just a plain hospital chaplain with more experience than years of education.
Clinical Pastoral Education is also necessary (4 units) if you are interested in hospital work.

Good luck to you.
Chaplain Judi

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.