The food service industry is the hardest industry for the first 10 years of your career for the following reasons.
1. You will start at low pay until you reach a lead supervisor position. At that point, you will likely go into management, and work twice the hours and earn less than minimum wage by hour.
2. "When the world parties, you will not only be at work away from you family and friends, but will also work a 15 hour day"
3. Food service is cut throat. Everyone is rallying for position, only the best will move ahead.
4. If you are a crybaby, food service is not for you.
5. If you are looking for gratification from others, food service is not for you. You will be your own critic or fan.
6. There is no pension in foodservice. After 20 years of service, all you will get is a "thanks!....Next please!"
7. If your choice is between fashion design, and food service, go with the fashion design, you have no idea what food service is. Its not "Top Chef" or the Food Network. Its real. Its extremely hard, and you will receive "battle scars" through your career.