Tips for child care provider interviews.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

Host

Do you have any tips to help prepare for an upcoming child care provider interview?

Are there common interview questions that come up again and again?

Reply - Report abuse

Nikki in Davenport, Iowa

100 months ago

We have a childcare provider, but I recently had surgery and also informed her of looking for a more educational provider and it seem's like all of a sudden she's dodging my calls. So I need another provider urgently. Just would like pointers on getting a better provider.
Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Karen in Mayville, New York

99 months ago

In New York State, we have accredited child care providers who must follow guidelines for "educational" care. Please remember, however, that children learn through their play. Check out the toys a provider offers - are there opportunities to play with water, sand, blocks, imaginative play items? Find out about discipline techniques that should emphasize positive behavior instead of punishing negative behavior. Also, your child will probably be spending a large amount of time with the care provider. Do the values they will demonstrate match yours?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lauire Overton in Las Vegas, Nevada

93 months ago

Nikki in Davenport, Iowa said: We have a childcare provider, but I recently had surgery and also informed her of looking for a more educational provider and it seem's like all of a sudden she's dodging my calls. So I need another provider urgently. Just would like pointers on getting a better provider.
Thanks
Well, I have to say after being a home day care provider for over 25 years and working mostly with teachers children, higher education should not be the biggest priority. Honestly finding a loving nurturing provider who has a variety of activities and encourages your child to learn and to explore and to be imaginative is much more important. I was not a scholar but I offered a loving safe and fun environment that all my families were so grateful for. Being away at work, would you rather your child be happy safe and loved...or learning only academics? If I were you I would choose love and happy over better educated. By the age of 4 they can go to a preschool where they will learn other things and kindegarten is right around the corner. Children need to be socially developed before school starts and having good self esteem starts young. Learning to share and be compassionate and giving are things that matter most when they are young.Just ideas to think about. Good Luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lauire Overton in Las Vegas, Nevada

93 months ago

Host said: Do you have any tips to help prepare for an upcoming child care provider interview?

Are there common interview questions that come up again and again?

I always started with "What exactly are you looking for in Home daycare"? You have to hear their expectations first before you can decide whether they will fit into your program. I usually only set up interviews after our phone interview, that's where my gut instinct knew I was ready for our first meeting.If a parent was only interested in talking money I felt their heart wasn't in it for the great care the child would have. you just have to honor your hunches and go with it. My contract was also discussed in detail...so as to avoid the pitfalls of "Oh I don't remember that" I would have them wait a day or two and then call then with my answer. Parents need to respect you and your business. You are not a servant, you make up a team. Good Luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Smartguy in Phoenix, Arizona

67 months ago

Nikki in Davenport, Iowa said: We have a childcare provider, but I recently had surgery and also informed her of looking for a more educational provider and it seem's like all of a sudden she's dodging my calls. So I need another provider urgently. Just would like pointers on getting a better provider.
Thanks

Here all the list of childcare you may need
care.smartchildguide.com/

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.