Why IS IT SO TOUGH FOR MALES TO GET INTO CHILD CARE FIELD?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (14)

brent stevens in columbia heights, Minnesota

84 months ago

I AM A 35 YR OLD MALE WHO WANTS TO GET BACK INTO CHILD CARE FIELD BUT IT FEELS LIKE PARENTS AND CENTERS DONT WANT TO HIRE ME EVEN IF I AM VERY QUALIFIED. i HAVE 7 YRS OF DAY CARE, HOME HEALTH CARE, AND BABYSITTING BEHIND ME. ARE PEOPLE THAT SCARED THAT US MALES ARE REALLY THAT BAD AND WERE GONNA ABUSE THE CHILDREN?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

CJ in Chattanooga, Tennessee

84 months ago

Have you thought about becoming a child psychiatrist? It's just out of the norm. Maybe work with foster kids, get a teaching degree, try working as an assistant teacher in your local school.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

brent stevens in columbia heights, Minnesota

84 months ago

no i havent thought of that, thanks for the idea.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kim in Clinton Township, Michigan

84 months ago

brent stevens in columbia heights, Minnesota said: I AM A 35 YR OLD MALE WHO WANTS TO GET BACK INTO CHILD CARE FIELD BUT IT FEELS LIKE PARENTS AND CENTERS DONT WANT TO HIRE ME EVEN IF I AM VERY QUALIFIED. i HAVE 7 YRS OF DAY CARE, HOME HEALTH CARE, AND BABYSITTING BEHIND ME. ARE PEOPLE THAT SCARED THAT US MALES ARE REALLY THAT BAD AND WERE GONNA ABUSE THE CHILDREN?

Brent...
that is crazy, I personally know of a situation where a male was the first choice for a babysitting "nanny" position , My singel brother with two boys ..he wanted someone that was going to get involed in the sports activities and would be able to relate to "boy" things ,OF COURSE he also did a through back ground check on this person as he would with anyone that was taking care of children . not to be rude ... but are you sure that your apperance isnt one that would be unapproiate for children .. Good luck!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

brent stevens in Columbia Heights, Minnesota

84 months ago

Thanks for the feed back, I am well-groomed person and take care of my self

Jamila in Chattanooga, Tennessee

84 months ago

brent stevens in columbia heights, Minnesota said: I AM A 35 YR OLD MALE WHO WANTS TO GET BACK INTO CHILD CARE FIELD BUT IT FEELS LIKE PARENTS AND CENTERS DONT WANT TO HIRE ME EVEN IF I AM VERY QUALIFIED. i HAVE 7 YRS OF DAY CARE, HOME HEALTH CARE, AND BABYSITTING BEHIND ME. ARE PEOPLE THAT SCARED THAT US MALES ARE REALLY THAT BAD AND WERE GONNA ABUSE THE CHILDREN?

I am sorry to hear that in the 21st century there is still gender bias. The media can also be to blame. They love horrible stories about men and children. Anyway I wanted to ask about your home health experience. I would like to start my own home health service(with child day care for employees, but I will work up to that)in Tennessee. Any advice on some of the things I need to keep in mind. I have a MA in gerontology and I have worked in skilled nursing as an aid, adult day care, assisted living and volunteered at senior centers.

Thanks

Keep your head up. I am sure you can find something. Who know you could start a Daddy day care, there are single fathers that need sitters and single mothers with boys that need a good male role model in their lives.

brent stevens in Minneapolis, Minnesota

83 months ago

thanks

Concerned Mother in Minneapolis, Minnesota

71 months ago

Maybe it is because if you Google your name you have posted on websites about wearing diapers and liking to jack off in them. STay away from kids FREAK!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

Parent in Minneapolis, Minnesota

69 months ago

The statistics are against you for starters- more pedafiles are men than women. Your gender combined with your age may be working against you. I immediately think of teenagers and 20 somethings for babysitting/childcare, unless the person is a parent looking for extra work or they are a grandparent. It's also a female-dominant career field.
If you want to work with children there are other jobs that not only pay more, but wherein you can also find work easier because the age and gender factors will not be as noticable.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

justachap in Ireland

24 months ago

brent stevens in columbia heights, Minnesota said: I AM A 35 YR OLD MALE WHO WANTS TO GET BACK INTO CHILD CARE FIELD BUT IT FEELS LIKE PARENTS AND CENTERS DONT WANT TO HIRE ME EVEN IF I AM VERY QUALIFIED. i HAVE 7 YRS OF DAY CARE , HOME HEALTH CARE , AND BABYSITTING BEHIND ME. ARE PEOPLE THAT SCARED THAT US MALES ARE REALLY THAT BAD AND WERE GONNA ABUSE THE CHILDREN ?

im working and taking care of pre school children for years now,the problem is with you,parents get used to the idea,yes at first they might look at you funny,but thats natural,they have been lisening to people for years going on about it,let them look at you funny you will soon see smiles as i did,get to know every parents name,let them see the care you are giving their kids 8 hours a day 5 days a week.
make the kids laugh,some mangers are a bit slow to hire male child care providers keep trying,and focas on the kids and forget about what people have said,or what you have heard,the people that say those things dont really understand its not their fault,remember keep making the kids laugh and the rest will work it self out. good luck to you...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

ToBoeingOrNotToBoeing in Seattle, Washington

24 months ago

Concerned Mother in Minneapolis, Minnesota said: Maybe it is because if you Google your name you have posted on websites about wearing diapers and liking to jack off in them. STay away from kids FREAK!!!!!

You're right concerned mother! I am really worried about this guy. You can find him on facebook and he's a member of all these diaper wearing clubs. Same person, same city. This is scary!

melizaarora in Chicago, Illinois

9 months ago

According to a recent survey only two per cent of the day care and
childcare working staffs are male oriented.More than 25% of
teenage boys would love starting their career in <a
href="friendswithkids.net/">childcare</a> but few who are
very passionate will sustain.

melizaarora in Chicago, Illinois

9 months ago

According to a recent survey only two per cent of the day care and
childcare working staffs are male oriented.More than 25% of
teenage boys would love starting their career in childcare but few who are very passionate will sustain.

friendswithkids.net

Lydia G in Dayton, Ohio

9 months ago

Im trying to locate people who live in Minnesota to hang out with. Im brent. I live in columbia heights. Im bipolar, borderline personality disorder, ptsd, anxiety disorder, add, depression, and urinary incontinence(wear adult diapers 24-7). If u want to know me better please email me at diaperman1973@yahoo.com.

well no wonder NO one will hire you! hahaha!

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.