How do I get an entry level claims position?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 109)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

PatriotFlood in Hazleton, Pennsylvania

53 months ago

I'm sorry to hear about everyone's frustration with the adjusting industry, but unfortunately it's the nature of the business. There are many people in the business and under normal circumstances just not alot of daily work. But with patience, a major storm will hit and that's when new adjusters can get their foot in the door and if they show that they work hard and do quality work then they will have a rewarding future ahead.

It took me 5 years working part time during Cat's with a good friend before I went full time as an adjuster. Just like any other business there are good years and bad years. So a good adjuster does also have to be able to budget extremely well. I now have my own small IA firm. One of my goals is to help others get more established in the field even though it is a long road ahead. My advice would be to get trained (and stayed trained), get licensed, and be patient. If you really want ot be an adjuster hang in there and your opportunity will come.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

donna in Wichita Falls, Texas

50 months ago

BC in Boca Raton, Florida said: If your looking at training - look at Crawford & Co., in Atlanta or Vale Solutions. Crawford is the largest TPA firm in the world, Vale Solutions is owned by Cunningham Lindsey, the second largest TPA. US Staffing has little to no contact in the real world of adjuster training - how many adjuster do you know that are US staffing trained and are working now ? Remember that they (these training groups, US staffing is not the only one that has gone to selling more than training) are in the sales business more than anything. Look at firms that have a training division for their own employees and that really have an interest and a history in developing people and not just your money.
For training that is the most value, find an adjuster - look at CADO and other sites - that is open to a ride along and beg to carry the ladder for them. It will cost your your own expenses and you may not get any compensation for your time, but the refferal on your resume and to their boss, will be priceless.

US Staffing adjusting Services is a wonderful company to work for. They have many deployed adjusters in a good hail storm they sky is the limit they have 21 vendors and welcome anyone who can pass a free assessment to join there roster. The company founder was one of Walter Piliot's first four adjusters and one of the best in the industry. Be careful of fly by night hotel training. They have most likely have got lisened and started a school.Just remember you can do research on Texas Department Of Insurance. There are many good quality adjuster training facilty's out there.Just make sure they at least have a roof for you to measure and climb.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

sradjuster in Glendale, Arizona

50 months ago

why would anybody want to get into the claims profession...as a 15 year veteran of non-standard auto up through E&S commercial lines; i can tell you it is one of the most stress filled jobs anybody can do...at the higher levels, the pay and benefits are good, but really this isn't a profession for most people...takes a special breed to put up with all the slime you will deal with on a daily basis

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

trakfast in Los Angeles, California

49 months ago

I adjusted a large variety of claims for many years, including investigating fraudulent claims. The work is always interesting and challenging. BUT, as "sradjuster", above, stated, this really is a fantastically stressful career. You will be given case-loads of claims into the hundreds to handle, with little support and back-up. And, the pay nowhere near justifies what is required. Be fore-warned and take up another profession.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

JERMAINE in Homestead, Florida

49 months ago

helen in Ocala, Florida said: I just receive my 520 licence from florida took a course in Texas at US staffing. im trying to get an intership job or entry level job since I dont have experience.

I AM LOOKING INTO US STAFFING TO GET MY LICENCE IN TEXAS ALSO WAS YOUR EXPERINCE GOOD WITH THEM AND DO THEY OFFER YOU A JOB WITH OTHER COMPAMIES ... AND HOW MUCH FOR THE CLASSES ...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ken in Springdale, Arkansas

49 months ago

I traveled from Arkansas to Texas last year spent over $1000.00 to get my All-Lines certification and only to find out that no one will hire you. I have had many years handling warranty claims for a flooring company in arkansas I guess that is not enough to even in as a trainee.
This is as far as Im concerned the adjuster schools should be a little more honest in there dealing there just there to take your money and run. When it comes time to help you find a job theres no help. I would really recommened those seeking to become an adjuster
go into a different field or vocation, Its a racket and a rip off.Don't waste your time and money.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

49 months ago

Finaly found a job to pay the bills. But its not as an adjuster thank you. Moving to Oklahoma to get in to managing a flooring store.
STAY OUT OF THE ADJUSTER INDUSTRY AND MAYBE THEY WILL THEN RELIZE THAT PEOPLE HAVE GOT ON TO THERE ChickenS**T INDUSTRY.

I'm going to let my license expire heck with it. I'm not going to finance the state when those morons should be policing the industry. There allowing thiefs to legelily steal from the public. Yes, there will be one less person trying to get in the industry.
Hurray! Hurray! I dont need the there job today. Good luck people!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

orlandoalex in Orlando, Florida

49 months ago

Andrei, I was told having a construction background was a bonus because of knowing building practices,and terminology. I would not have wasted my funds otherwise. If I was searching for an employee to do dwelling claims, I would be inclined to hire that experience. Nice try, I can't blame you for trying to make a buck selling resumes, However please do your home work or explain your case in detail.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

49 months ago

Ken, congradulations.I have been working for a few months now myself,not in insurance business. Hopefully our expensive experience might save others money and time,in their attempt to reinvent themselves in this industry.Best way I see it is be in the industry first where credentials aren't needed, eventually someone in the office will help you with a new opportunity. Then get your license with the promise of job change.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Mike M in Tampa, Florida

48 months ago

I am a college Graduate and have been a Superintendent, Estimator and Project Manager for eleven years, and for the last 5 has been with an insurance restoration company. I have working knowledge of Xactimate 25 and have been writing estimates in house for the company for the past year. I am looking to get my All Lines Adjuster License in the state of Florida at the end of October. How do I go about breaking into the Property Adjuster industry? Any suggestions out there, I am willing to relocate nationwide.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

48 months ago

Mike M in Tampa, Florida said: I am a college Graduate and have been a Superintendent, Estimator and Project Manager for eleven years, and for the last 5 has been with an insurance restoration company. I have working knowledge of Xactimate 25 and have been writing estimates in house for the company for the past year. I am looking to get my All Lines Adjuster License in the state of Florida at the end of October. How do I go about breaking into the Property Adjuster industry? Any suggestions out there, I am willing to relocate nationwide.

Hello mike, Since obtaining a license is easy,try sending some resumes out there using a search engine for adjusting jobs.That should give you an idea where you stand. I would think you should have a list of adjusters that could give you a hand,since you were in the restoration business

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Janet in Saint Petersburg, Florida

48 months ago

Stay away from Allstate . . . their "state of the art" NEXTGEN system sucks and they are a sweatshop!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Ron Small in Pensacola, Florida

47 months ago

I have A Florida Independent Claims Adjusters Lic along with an All lines 2-20 Agents lic. I have about 7+ yrs as an experienced insurance agent. I even have 30yrs home building and remodeling experience. I've always wanted to get experience as an adjuster, but, no one wants you unless you already have experience. So, who's willing to hire?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

47 months ago

No one will hire you. This industry is a racket. 127

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

freshbright in Charlotte, North Carolina

46 months ago

My company is working in Foreclosure properties doing a turn over, but I would like to work with insurance companies. Somebody told me that I have to contact the Adjuster, but I do not where or how to start.Somebody can give a tip?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Karen Smith in Browns Valley, Minnesota

44 months ago

You seem like someone who understands the business and are good with people, judging character, etc. A few years ago our town suffered a major flood and a subcontracted adjuster was sent out to handle my claim. Her company was based in OK. She was wonderful to work with and since that time I've been thinking of taking on a similar traveling adjusting job. May I ask for your opinion, and from others as well, please:

Regarding training. I am a semi-professional in the area of historic home preservation. I've only worked on my own, though I'm proud to say that my first work was published in the 1980s in The St.Paul/Mpls. magazine. I make no income doing this work and I need a job. Along with my passion for house structure comes a natural desire for me to take certified training in building inspection and obtain a MN license. I also am eager to further my computer skills using software dedicated to home inspection, bidding, and insurance claims. I love to travel, even at the drop of a hat. I have driven alone from coast to coast, border to border, and have no fear of being on the road with a car and a laptop. In your opinion, would training in home/building inspection be an asset towards securing a job in the claims field? Also, if there is particular software that I should be trained to use so as to become an all around hands on claims adjuster - during crises and otherwise, what would you (and any others willing to answer) suggest. I am not expecting a FT job with benefits such as a 401K - just a living wage and minimum travel expenses. Any advice that you may have will be very much appreciated. It sounds to me as though you know what you are talking about. Thank you all!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Karen Smith in Browns Valley, Minnesota

44 months ago

fighting saints in Bemidji, Minnesota said: I co-own an independent adjusting company in MN. I have recently hired two former CAT adjusters who used to chase storms across the south.

Please note my comments written here today further down the page. I may have goofed as I do not see your name and it was to you that I was addressing the note. Thank You! Karen Smith, Browns Valley, MN.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

44 months ago

Put the claims on the back burner
take a course in you community on building construction
take a few courses on Xactimate
now you can be a junior estimater for a restoration company
this experience will get you close to your destination
Most Insurance companies require you to have been working for other insurance companies for two or three years or more.
In your new field,maybe you'll meet someone that can get you in working clames
However, you might just be as satisfied doing remodeling or restoration estimating

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Dani in Dallas, Texas

43 months ago

Ava C. Denney in Austin, Texas said: I worked for Pilot Catastophes Inc. after Hurricane Katrina and Rita and fell in love with adjusting. I got my Texas adjuster license during this time. Since then I have been unable to find a company who will hire me because I only have a year of experience in adjusting. My question is how do you get experience when companies won't hire you unless you have a couple of years experience and they aren't willing to give you the opportunity to prove yourself. Please help! Adjusting is what I want to do however I have been running into road blocks ever since I worked with Pilot.

I was looking a Pilot. What happen with them? Do they not have any work for you?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

JSLAUGHTER in Pearland, Texas

43 months ago

Can anyone advise me to the best classroom training for the all lines claims adjuster licenses in the houston area.I want to get my license.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No Reply - Report abuse

Geraldine in Tuskegee Institute, Alabama

42 months ago

I am interested in a trainee position as a underwriter or claims adjuster in the insurance industry. I live in Alabama and want something in or near Montgomery or Auburn area. I have a Bachelors degree in Mangement but looking for a new start in this difficult economy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

scrosno in Lubbock, Texas

42 months ago

I just recently acquired my All-lines Adjuster License in Texas. I also completed "Adjusting 101" classes and Xactimate 27, I&II classes. I have 3 years previous experience as a Property Claims Rep with Aetna Insurance, this was about 20 years ago. I left the industry in order to go back to school to get my degree, so I do have a Bachelor Degree. I also have construction experience and over 15 years of customer service. It seems I meet all of the requirements, but those who respond say I don't. I have sent out numerous resumes for Property Claims Adjuster and Trainee positions, but have had no response.I am willing to relocate anywhere in Texas,Arkansas,Lousiana,Tennessee,South Carolina or Kentucky. I am 53 years old, I hope this doesn't have anything to with them not hiring me. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do to get hired?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Michael in Cleveland, Ohio

42 months ago

What is the probability that someone newly trained (Xactimate, etc.) and willing to travel could get any CAT experience under their belt? After reading these posts, I'm beginning to wonder if I am being unrealistic.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

JSLAUGHTER in Pearland, Texas

41 months ago

I am thinking about getting my All Lines Adjuster License.
Any suggestions on schools in the Houston areas?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

beachbruce in Antioch, Tennessee

36 months ago

JSLAUGHTER in Pearland, TX. I took an Xactimate three day training course from www.adjusterstraining.com and although like many out there I am still trying to find work. Lisa taught the course in Atlanta and was very knowledgable. Both Lisa and Larry are based out of Houston, TX however, they teach courses in Atlanta, Houston, Dallas. Check out their site, it might be helpful to you. Maybe, we'll even bump into each other chasing CATS someday in the future.
You can do your all lines TX course on line through 360training.com.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

SLA

34 months ago

I'm only 21 years old and I have no experience in the insurance adjusting industry. I just started looking into it and doing my research. I'm looking into taking this 8 day course that trains you. Has anybody ever went through a program like this and was successful? Also I see that the post are from over a year ago, are there any more demands or a bigger chance that I will get an entry level position now or is the chances slimmer than it was a year ago? I live in Mobile, Al but I'm willing to travel. PLS HELP. I NEED ALL OF THE FEEDBACK I CAN GET BEFORE I INVEST 1395$ INTO THIS COURSE. THANK YOU.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Kiim in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

34 months ago

Hi I'm currently working in a subrogation department for a healthcare company for the past 2 1/2 years and looking to do more subrogation/investigation/adjuster but the employers are looking for property/casulty experience about 3 to 5 years. I am really enjoy working in this particular field and In Wisconsin there is no license requiment for claim adjusters/examiner. How and Who would be willing to trained and I'm willing to travel

34 months ago

Insurace Adjuster schools ought to be outlawed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Josh Smith in Los Angeles, California

34 months ago

Jobs4Me has a variety of amazing positions in entry level healthcare positions. Check out their website and see if something suits you!Just go to facebook and type in JobsForMe Healthcare. Hope that helps!

ffb in Pensacola, Florida

32 months ago

vwimports in Glen Burnie, Maryland said: I'm trying to get into claims but was just turned down from progressive because I do no have a 4 year degree or 2 years experience. Are there any companies that would hire someone like myself? I'm currently a life insurance agent..

There is most likely not a company that will hire without a four year degree. They will hire with no experience. The environment with most carriers in the claims department is very similar. Once someone is hired on with a carrier, may as well stay with them. The grass is not always greener elsewhere within the claims environment. Speak with a few adjusters and ask what they like & do not like about the company, management, environment and turn over rate of employees.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ffb in Pensacola, Florida

32 months ago

tom in Palm Bay, Florida said: I applied for a trainee position by me, but no response. And I have my claims license.

Many carriers hire based on referrals in particular if the referral was done by someone on their staff.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

janiece in Olympia, Washington

32 months ago

Hang in there all of you! The mayan calendar is predicting stormy weather ahead (La'ninia). Keep pounding the pavement and avoid these negative comments. I did property management for a short time and even had employers calling me after I decided this was not for me. My husband goes to the east coast when huge storms are predicted because they don't have enough man/woman power. ( Lineman). Get licensed and get your name out there!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Matt L in Durham, North Carolina

31 months ago

I just passed my Adjusters License last fri and am currently looking for my FIRST ADJUSTER JOB.. How do i get started in the business when every job I look at says they want experience.. I cant seem to find anything for entry level.. PLEASE HELP !!!

Bruce in Antioch, Tennessee

31 months ago

Matt L in Durham, North Carolina said: I just passed my Adjusters License last fri and am currently looking for my FIRST ADJUSTER JOB.. How do i get started in the business when every job I look at says they want experience.. I cant seem to find anything for entry level.. PLEASE HELP !!!

It isn't easy Matt. There are several companies that offer training however it is no garantee you will get hired. Some say that these companies are simply trying to make a buck on us poor adjusters trying to get into the groove or mainstream. If a big enough cat hits in 2012, even the beginners will get a call to estimate damages. Worley is a good company, Wardlaw out of Waco, TX is another, and E A Renfroe in Birmingham is another good company. Some of these offer free seminars and some only offer training for $. FEMA offers flood cat certifications free in various cities going on soon for the 2012 season. This business ain't easy, let me just tell you that. You'll starve before you make any money.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jimbo in Jacksonville, Florida

30 months ago

Jason1162 in Gaffney, South Carolina said: So im a 24 year old trying to make a career change and have found I would love to be an Insurance adjuster. I am thinking about paying to take the classes and take the test to get my license. I live in the Greenville, SC area. I'm not sure what im getting into, but would like any advice that anyones willing to give. Please Help! thanks

I tell you what Jason, I have been in the field for almost 10 years. It's a rough and stressful way to earn a living. If you are super organized, able to multi task, administratively inclined , have awesome people skills and love hard work , long hours, and don't mind the daily mental abuse you get for not paying enough money or for not paying quick enough, not returning a phone call within 15 minutes, dealing with losses you know are fraudulent, but can do nothing about cause you really can't prove it or dealing with greedy injury attorneys, this may be the job for you. However, you must be able to do all of the above. You can't pick and choose . SC may be a bit different than my state. Good Luck,wish you well

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Amber

30 months ago

Ken in Springdale, Arkansas said: I took my All-lines Certifications & Xactimate tranning in October and have tried to apply for as many jobs as possible. Found one job advertising for a tranee. When calling the company they said they were hiring a personal friend for the job.

When taking the tranning they tell you It's easy to find work. Yea! Where are the jobs?

Arkansas will not allow you to work independily and they won't let you take the state exam unless you work for some one for a year.

I'm in the same boat! I'm from Arkansas and I'm currently taking a course to become an adjuster and I cant seem to find anyone that will allow me to work under them!

Steven Smith in Newport Beach, California

29 months ago

I have my P&C Lic and I want to break into claims to have a better understanding of the industry to advance my career growth. Any ideas on where to start to obtain my Lic for Claims?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

William A in Fort Worth, Texas

29 months ago

Reading these comments brings back old memories. After 27 yrs in the construction industry I decided to make a change. I went to a school mentioned in this thread. I was promised a job after completing the school. Well as we all know this didn't happen. It took me 2 long hard yrs to get a Chance to prove myself. During that 2 yr period, I continued to take courses and attend seminars. When finally getting the opportunity to work,I successfully was redeployed for 18 months. Fast forward 5 yrs. Folks if you are prepared and you market yourself you will get a call. If you sit around applying and waiting for the phone to ring you are wasting your time. The real numbers are 95 percent of the people that want to adjusting never follow thru with the self marketing part,therefore they fail. The amount of money you make is fantastic,but beware,do not do the job for the money,do it for the love of the job. There are no shortcuts other than a major cat such as Katrina. It does take a special person to be able to cope with the duties of the job. At this point , I receive calls from companies I have never heard of,wanting me to work for them. Do a good job when the chance arrives and make a name for yourself. Regardless of what you hear or read, the industry is alive and thriving. If you really want to be an adjuster,follow my advise and you will do just fine. If you want it to happen,then make it happen. Good luck to all !

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

damon in Chicago, Illinois

27 months ago

Hello all.

I will be starting a job as an inside CAT adjuster, so all phone-based and cubicle type of an environment with a well-known company. I've read a lot of negative reviews about the job being very stressful and just having a high workload to deal with. I'm in transition. Worked as an assistant manager in retail for a little while but needed a career change b/c I just didn't feel like retail would be something that I would want to do for the next 30 yrs.

Problem is these days, it's very tough to find anything. People say, well look the other way and try to find something else. This economy does not provide for those opportunities. Only the lucky ones with the right connections seem to find the breaks while the rest of us are begging to get anything. For instance, this is the first job offer that I've had in about 6 months. So these job offers are tough to come by. For someone coming ito the insurance industry with no experience and no other real job prospects, is it a good idea to take a chance in this sort of a position?With that being said, I am coming to the job with an open mind and I've dealt with stress and unhappy customers in my previous positions but what I want to know is what are the upsides of being a claims adjuster? What do adjusters like about the position and what is a day in the life like for an inside claims adjuster?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Renee in Orange Park, Florida

25 months ago

No one want to hire you if you don't have experience. I'm even willing to volunteer but they still want experience to volunteer. They dont even care if you have a degreed. What is wrong with this picture? Maybe I'm just crazy.

ken in Springdale, Arkansas

25 months ago

Ava C. Denney in Austin, Texas said: I worked for Pilot Catastophes Inc. after Hurricane Katrina and Rita and fell in love with adjusting. I got my Texas adjuster license during this time. Since then I have been unable to find a company who will hire me because I only have a year of experience in adjusting. My question is how do you get experience when companies won't hire you unless you have a couple of years experience and they aren't willing to give you the opportunity to prove yourself. Please help! Adjusting is what I want to do however I have been running into road blocks ever since I worked with Pilot.

Danny Don't hold your breath with getting in with becoming an adjuster. I have been trying for over three years to get into the industry and no one will hire you unless you have a in. Sorry but it's the truth.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

ken in Springdale, Arkansas

25 months ago

ken in Springdale, Arkansas said: Danny Don't hold your breath with getting in with becoming an adjuster. I have been trying for over three years to get into the industry and no one will hire you unless you have a in. Sorry but it's the truth.

It's a racket that someone needs to investigate and do something about. The schools Lie about the opportunity just to get you to take the class $$$ is the name of the game. When you get out and graduate and try to get into the industry you soon relize that you got screwed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

larry in Chicago, Illinois

25 months ago

ken in Springdale, Arkansas said: Danny Don't hold your breath with getting in with becoming an adjuster. I have been trying for over three years to get into the industry and no one will hire you unless you have a in. Sorry but it's the truth.

You are partly correct but also partly incorrect. There are companies out there who will hire people to train as claims adjusters with little to no experience. I won't name the company but one of the top insurance companies in the industry does hire people with no experience but maybe backgrounds in customer service or retail where they have had experiences dealing with irate or frustrated customers.

But at the same time, I know what you're saying is true b/c I've been there and I looked for jobs and I knew I was qualified to get into different positions but for some reason, there was always a roadblock. I think it has to do with competition among others who are applying for the same position and then networking and how certain people have an "in" while others don't.

It's honestly more about luck and being at the right place at the right time than anything else if you do not have a connection. That's how it worked out for me but I guess all I can say is keep applying to as many places as possible and don't give up. I spent about 4-5 hrs. everyday during the week looking/applying for jobs and modifying my cover letters, and I was applying to an average of 12-15 jobs per week. I kept getting phone/face-to-face interviews, wasn't having any real luck, but it just takes 1 company to see the potential in you for everything to change. For all the stupid recruiters/employers who wouldn't know how to tell talent if their life depended on it, there are recruiters out there who do get it. It's just a matter of having the right luck fall into place and just being prepared for the interview process.

I can't stress enough about preparing for interviews, use flashcards, prepare for interview questions weekly.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

DavidJK in Tampa, Florida

23 months ago

Larry has a great point, a lot has to pan together to get a job as an Adjuster, save for the freak occurence. I have been after this profession starting four years ago when I started my Business Degree, I am 24 now. My sister-in-law in an adjuster and living with her for 2 years during that time made me interested. After I graduated in December 2012 I started to apply to trainee adjuster postions with only personal construction/atuomotive experience and administraive experience under my belt. In the mean time I took on and internship For SMARTCIRCLE (STAY AWAY!!!) which wasn't for me and then went to work a Temp Job at an insurance headquarters. During this time I was with the internship and temp job I had been applying to more lucrative positions with little luck.MY lucky break came! One month before my temp contract ended. My s-i-l got a new job working at a Sought after carrier to work for that had Adj trainee positions available (One I had applied to TWICE in the past year but nothing) she was new but gave my resume to the hiring manager - nothing. Luckily for me I sat next to the office of a Director for Ins operations, she loved me ;). I asked for a referrel and she told me she knew the VP there! They spoke and after a couple interviews and tests they offered me the job! I bought all the materials for the State test too (5-20) two months before this. Everything lined up. Best of Luck too all. Your Dream will die if you let it, don't let it! PERSISTENCE & NETWORKING!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Vaille in Palo Alto, California

23 months ago

I've been a casualty adjuster for about 15 years, primarily in the Chicago market. It can be an excellent career *if* you have the personality for it. To break into the industry, you'll want to develop the skill sets that insurers know are essential to the work. Myself, I came out of a loss prevention background (I used to catch shoplifters). Over the years, I've known a number of adjusters who were ex-cops. Collections representatives, too. What's the common thread between loss prevention, law enforcement and collections in this example? They are all high stress, require excellent negotiation skills and each requires conflict management. You also need to be pretty damn sharp, able to multi-task, have excellent organizational skills and communicate with people on their level. The phone rings, it's a doctor inquiring about the status of a medical payment. Hang up, it rings again, its a high school dropout wanting to know about his total loss. Rings again, now its a detective calling to discuss a fraud case. Rings again, it's a lawyer wanting discuss an injury settlement. You've got to be able to change directions in a moment's notice and communicate effectively with the public and resolve issues ASAP.

Education - 10 years ago, you could still get into adjusting w/ a high school diploma. Those days are gone. Insurers now want a minimum of a 4 year degree. Business is great, but you can pretty much major anything. Once you're in the door, the people who advance upwards will at a minimum have an AIC designation. A CPCU is significantly more impressive and the truly ambitious (i.e. the folks who have their eye on one day reaching the echelons of upper management) will usually obtain a Master's degree.

Companies - I'd recommend checking out organizations that actively recruit for entry level trainee positions. Travelers, Farmers (sometimes), Geico, Allstate, American Family and Progressive all come to mind.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

pheffler1@gmail.com in Charlotte, North Carolina

21 months ago

Hi, Denny. I read your post and am wondering if the business has gotten better for you in the past 51 months, or how ever old the post is.

I'm just learning the trade now. Got an update? Any more thoughts on Pilot? Know anything about Southeastern?

pheffler1@gmail.com in Charlotte, North Carolina

21 months ago

Vaille in Palo Alto, California said: Sir, I found your article very informative. Please say more.

I am just learning the business and your advice sounded good.

Thanks

safeguard.tim@hotmail.com in Saint Paul, Minnesota

20 months ago

Karen Smith in Browns Valley, Minnesota said:

Hello I am just about to take my state lic in minnesota, any hints on how to pass this with out issue. alot of info for a 35 question test. also it really appears to be hard to find entry level or trainee position, any ideas

claimsguy123@inbox.com in Lexington, Kentucky

14 months ago

I’ve been an adjuster (for a couple of big name insurance companies) for about 20 years. This evening I found myself reading all these posts on “indeed” from what appears to be 1) people who are thinking about property estimating: 2) others who seem to be serious about getting into property estimating. 3) lastly, the few who have are in property estimating.

Helping others is something I enjoy, so blogging about this subject seems a good idea in order to dispel myths. From what I read, it’s fairly obvious to me those that have been in the business all speak the truth. Allow me to start with page 1 of this forum and make a few comments. FIRST, read what the below prior posters had to say….. then I’ll sum it all up at the end.

*Read the prior posts for ………fighting saints (MN), orlandoalex (Fl) who makes a series of progressional posts and each builds on his prior post, BC (Fl), Patriot Flood (Penn), trackfast (LA), sradjuster (AZ), Bruce (TN), Jimbo (FL), William A (TX), Vaille (CA). Should any decide to read all the above past posts ………. each one of these have sound advice.

As you can read from a progress of posts by orlandoalex – one who is decisive, motivated and takes the fundamental steps necessary to work his way into a career. He didn’t “wait”, rather he made it happen……….. which is what all the others also appear to have in common. Only a very tiny percentage (like the lotto) will “luck” into a career. Even those will have to bring their “A Game” everyday to work to keep their job. They will work hard, progress and have the desire to learn something new every day. It’s true that the work is hard (or everyone would do it), we do deal with the public and when it’s all about money (their settlement) – you’d best have or quickly develop a very thick skin. As any customer service job …. be courteous, helpful, diplomatic (even to the angry).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

claimsguy123@inbox.com in Lexington, Kentucky

14 months ago

Regarding those who will probably be standout’s to become hired as a CAT or property adjuster are people like William A (Ft Worth). A construction background, learns the software (xactimate, simsol, etc……….) and hard work ethic, detail oriented, people skills then he’s got the skill set to become hired first. Vaille (CA) makes a great point in which it’s said 10 or more years ago it was much easier to become an adjuster. When the economy was good, not many wanted this career. Now the economy is bad, many will take the first thing that comes along (as it has through history), after several hurricanes the CAT market may very well be saturated. BUT – there is always room for those who KNOW what they want and work toward that goal. For those who think the extent of this is getting an adjusters license and magically becoming an adjuster is similar to ….getting a license to carry a weapon and then expecting to become a policeman.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.