How do I get an entry level claims position?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (101 to 109 of 109)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3   

yolo in Chicago, Illinois

14 months ago

claimsguy123@inbox.com in Lexington, Kentucky said: Regarding those who will probably be standout’s to become hired as a CAT or property adjuster are people like William A (Ft Worth). A construction background, learns the software (xactimate, simsol, etc……….) and hard work ethic, detail oriented, people skills then he’s got the skill set to become hired first. Vaille (CA) makes a great point in which it’s said 10 or more years ago it was much easier to become an adjuster. When the economy was good, not many wanted this career. Now the economy is bad, many will take the first thing that comes along (as it has through history), after several hurricanes the CAT market may very well be saturated. BUT – there is always room for those who KNOW what they want and work toward that goal. For those who think the extent of this is getting an adjusters license and magically becoming an adjuster is similar to ….getting a license to carry a weapon and then expecting to become a policeman.

You do not need to have a construction background to be a property adjuster, at least on the inside. If you're in the field, I think you probably do need to have a construction or architectual background of some kind. But on the inside, we don't normally have to deal with roofs/siding too often, and it is fairly easy to get the hang of general structures within the home (drywall, plaster, flooring, doors, windows, baseboard/trim, crown molding, etc...). So, I disagree with your notion. Basically, all you need is a 4 yr. degree, an open mind and willingness to learn, and you can get the hang of adjusting. You need to be organized (due to dealing with many different claims at one time), detail-oriented, customer friendly, and use your resources to your advantage (co-workers, remediation companies, etc....). But you do not need to have a construction background to be an inside property claims adjuster.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

David P in Hollywood, Florida

11 months ago

I got my 610 all lines license about two months ago, and was told by the school where I got my license it would be easy to get an adjusting job but nothing so far. I want to work as a staff adjuster but because of family issues I wont be doing CAT claims, I would be happy doing auto or dwelling claims. I applied for numerous positions at Geico and Progressive and Gainsco, I was called in for testing at Geico was told I passed the test and that was all I heard from them. I am not sure where to start any help at all would be appreciated. I'm a college graduate with numerous years of teaching under my belt. I don't know if the problem is that I'm not a young kid I'm in my mid 40's and don't know where to start

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

TahoeTodd in Phoenix, Arizona

7 months ago

damon in Chicago, Illinois said: Hello all.

I will be starting a job as an inside CAT adjuster, so all phone-based and cubicle type of an environment with a well-known company. I've read a lot of negative reviews about the job being very stressful and just having a high workload to deal with. I'm in transition. Worked as an assistant manager in retail for a little while but needed a career change b/c I just didn't feel like retail would be something that I would want to do for the next 30 yrs.

Problem is these days, it's very tough to find anything. People say, well look the other way and try to find something else. This economy does not provide for those opportunities. Only the lucky ones with the right connections seem to find the breaks while the rest of us are begging to get anything. For instance, this is the first job offer that I've had in about 6 months. So these job offers are tough to come by. For someone coming ito the insurance industry with no experience and no other real job prospects, is it a good idea to take a chance in this sort of a position?With that being said, I am coming to the job with an open mind and I've dealt with stress and unhappy customers in my previous positions but what I want to know is what are the upsides of being a claims adjuster ? What do adjusters like about the position and what is a day in the life like for an inside claims adjuster?

May I ask how you got into the field without prior experience? I'm wanting to get into this field but I'm finding it hard without experience. I'm a paralegal and I would have thought they would like someone with my background. Any suggestions on how I can get into the field would be appreciated. Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

yolo in Lake Villa, Illinois

7 months ago

TahoeTodd in Phoenix, Arizona said: May I ask how you got into the field without prior experience? I'm wanting to get into this field but I'm finding it hard without experience. I'm a paralegal and I would have thought they would like someone with my background. Any suggestions on how I can get into the field would be appreciated. Thank you.

Well, I got lucky. I applied to my current employer for many different positions. I didn't have much luck and then I applied for inside cat adjuster last Feb. 2012, didn't hear back for 2 months, but eventually heard back to my surprise, had a phone interview, 2 face-to-face interviews, and I impressed enough to get an offer.

No secrets to my story though. I didn't have an "in" meaning I didn't have any connections. It was just due to a combination of persistence/good interviewing/luck. I'm not sure on your experience level but I know a co-worker of mine who started with me, he had 15 yrs. of experience but was let go from another insurance company and had to start back at the bottom from a salary standpoint. He makes more than I do b/c of the experience level but I'm sure he makes less than what he did elsewhere.

I enjoy it but at times, it's tough. Today, we had a major CAT in the Northeast from all the winter storms (ice damming, frozen pipe bursts) and getting 10 claims a day is not fun. Hopefully it will be short-lived.

Mel in Chandler, Arizona

3 months ago

I started with no experience in the non-standard auto insurance, they just found me online, Since I'm bilingual and I had experience in fraud claims in banking, risk analyst in banking they actually called me to offer me an interview and got hired on the spot, I worked there for 2 years and took a mental break for a few months, I just got hired with another company also non-standard auto insurance. It's very stressful because you get so many claims and is hard to control your volume, all the calls, people crying a river, demanding their claim to be paid immediately when you are just starting on their claim. the pay is normal, not good and not bad. it's very tiring mentally.

Mel in Chandler, Arizona

3 months ago

TahoeTodd in Phoenix, Arizona said: May I ask how you got into the field without prior experience? I'm wanting to get into this field but I'm finding it hard without experience. I'm a paralegal and I would have thought they would like someone with my background. Any suggestions on how I can get into the field would be appreciated. Thank you.

I know people with no experience at all that start as Claims Assistant and Claims Customer Service they work for 6 months to a year and then apply once you are inside. or I also didn't have experience and I was hired as an adjuster. it's a matter of having a good resume, if you have a bachelor's degree is even easier but if you don't have either experience or a bachelor's then start as an assistant or customer service in claims.

DeeDee in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

2 months ago

I'm a license P&C and also a Life, Health, and Annuity, agent. I want a change, so I'm Now in the process off obtaining my 0620 for an All adjuster. Im appointed with a few insurers. When I get my license, I'm going to send my resume to all off them, why not?Hope that they will honor my resume.

mikew49 in Topeka, Kansas

1 month ago

I'm glad to see so much dialogue concerning an industry that I have for many years been interested in, but up to recently, had not asserted myself in regard to. Sight unseen, I didn't assume that I would instantly land work in the realm of claims adjusting. Nobody told me I could be assured of anything. Nobody owes me an opportunity, and I'm likely very fortunate for knowing that going in.

No doubt, the prevalent trend, according to the comments I took the time to read, is that it's not a business worth being in. More to the point, some of those stating it's a waste of time, unless I misunderstood, are currently working adjusters. If the detraction is not because they want to limit the amount of competition in the field, then perhaps they are in the wrong industry themselves. Were they to vacate the positions they do not seem to want enmasse, it might be enough to turn the tide in favor of those of us who are eager to get their feet wet, pay their dues, and as the one very sensible person said... make names for themselves...

Make of it what you will. All I know is that it appears to be one of the few businesses with some ethical intent. That's not to say it's not susceptible to corruption and exploitation, but at least it's not a requirement

Point being, if you don't see it as a viable opportunity, it's not. I may or may not ever adjust a claim, and it might be due to the complete lack of opportunities placed in my lap. However, I'm confident that if I maintain a bit of optimism,at least I'll have that. For me, the most compelling facet of claims adjusting, as I understand it, and in my opinion, is knowing that at the end of the day, I'll know I did what I could to be of some assistance, and some comfort, to people I wouldn't otherwise have a chance to meet, and will likely be at least a little better off for having met me.

If it makes ya miserable, don't do it. If you continue to do it, knowing it makes you miserable, well...

Texas Lady in Dallas, Texas

28 days ago

Im in Texas and looking to get into the industry.
I'm coachable and seeking mentorship.
Also, looking to make a career in insurance with the goal of Actuarial in mind.
Time is of the essence as I have a kid in his last year of high school and would like to contribute to his college education.

I can be reached at 2one4.7one.eight.thirtyfive99
My name is MeMee.

Thank you in advance for reading.

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.