How do I get an entry level claims position?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (101 to 137 of 137)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3   

Sonnykinsey in Tucson, Arizona

13 months ago

I don't care what anybody says on here. Everyone's outcome depends on them. Try, try and try again. Don't give up. If you fall down, get your ass back up and try again. If you want something bad enough, go and get it! Don't allow failure to even be in your vocabulary. Good day folks!

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Don in Addison, Illinois

11 months ago

I have read a lot of the post and much of it is relevent to me as someone trying to break into the adjusting career. I would like to know if anyone has heard of Mile High Adjusters training company in Colorado and your thoughts on the effectiveness and value of their program to becoming an adjuster.

Reply - Report abuse

bpelkie@*****.*** in Grand Prairie, Texas

10 months ago

mark in Prosper, Texas said: TJ you hit it right on the money. you have far greater chance of getting deployed with 1 state license (Home License) and State Farm Cert than a person having 10 state license with no State Farm Cert. Independent Adjuster need to understand the importance of the State Farm and Allstate cert. your chances of deployment is very slim. for example. When i first started out I obtained like 8 licenses,TX,MI,SC,OK,LA etc. I trained and got certified on software AudaTex,Mitchell,Xactimate,CCC Pathways,NextGen and Xactcontents. I had all these licensing and training but I still didn't get a call for deployment. So i called Pilot,Worley and Renfroe and asked Why am i not getting deployed i have all these licenses and training but yet no assignments. and each company told me it that Its vital to be certified in State Farm and Allstate auto and or property your chances are pretty much non-existing so i signed up for the class and after waiting 4 months waiting for the training class i get a call 3 days before training for deployment for a claims assist project for 22an hour. so i had to make a life decision either take the 22 an hour or just take the cert that will open more doors for me. so i declined that offer and obtained my cert and a week later after getting certified i received another call for my first adjuster assignment working inside auto claims i was bringing home about $1800 a week and if you worked at pilotcat you know you get paid weekly so the money was great. i worked about 5 months and grossed about 36k.

What State Farm Cert? Like the 40 hour class or am I missing something??

Reply - Report abuse

Nancy in Lakeland, Florida

10 months ago

I just got my Adjusters license and been applying to Geico and some local insurance companies but, everyone wants years of experience. I did this for a career change and would like to be an Independent Adjuster. Any one out there in the Tampa and Orlando area?

Reply - Report abuse

kenlyman in Springdale, Arkansas

10 months ago

I did the same thing for a career change. I spent thousands on traveling to Texas, hotel, taking a week long training course and no one would even hire me. I have had many years in the construction field handling warranty issues for a construction company doing field inspections for five years with a NW Arkansas company and I could get even an interview. I must have placed my resume with hundreds of insurance company's. I interviewed once with a local company because I just walked in to a local adjustors office and asked about getting on. I was told I would have to at least have five years experience working with an insurance company before they would even hire me. No luck. I think it's a scam.

Reply - Report abuse

Mark in Bettendorf, Iowa

10 months ago

ken in Springdale, Arkansas said: It's a racket that someone needs to investigate and do something about. The schools Lie about the opportunity just to get you to take the class $$$ is the name of the game. When you get out and graduate and try to get into the industry you soon relize that you got screwed.

Ken, have you found any adjusting work yet?

Reply - Report abuse

kenlyman in Springdale, Arkansas

10 months ago

No I have not not.

Reply - Report abuse

HarambeDoesn'tForgive in Lafayette, California

10 months ago

People want into adjusting? Why? After 20 years working auto, homeowner's liab, commercial, inland marine and fraud, I just up and quit the business. It's not what it used to be. Today, as an adjuster, your customer isn't the insured or claimant. It's the corporate auditor and claims staff. Have fun with that. The money isn't worth the grief and aggravation, esp if you're working for one of the large companies.

Reply - Report abuse

HarambeDoesn'tForgive in Lafayette, California

10 months ago

You don't need an adjuster's license in Illinois. Chances are, the classes will not do much for you. I started in IL and handled claims there for 10+ years. At a minimum, you will need a 4 year degree. It can be in any field. Mine is in political science, French and geology. You will want investigative experience. Loss prevention is good for that, as are internships with local law enforcement agencies. Focus on positions that will train. Travelers constantly hires trainees for adjusting positions. You should also look at GEICO and Progressive. They will hire people without prior adjusting experience. Farmers and Allstate usually want a few years experience. State Farm will want experience. IL is notorious for it's non-standard casualty carriers. They are still worth checking out, however. Hope this helps.

Don in Addison, Illinois said: I have read a lot of the post and much of it is relevent to me as someone trying to break into the adjusting career. I would like to know if anyone has heard of Mile High Adjusters training company in Colorado and your thoughts on the effectiveness and value of their program to becoming an adjuster.

Reply - Report abuse

Nilaveni in Naperville, Illinois

9 months ago

I have 13yrs of claims technician experience and 2 yrs of medical only claim handler experience, but no one even wanted to giving me an opportunity for claims trainee. Any advise how to land in claims trainee position. Thank you.

Reply - Report abuse

cjjack in SEBRING, Florida

9 months ago

I've recently obtained my Adjusters license as of last year and haven't had ANY luck WHAT SO EVER. I wish I would have done my research a little better and perhaps even come across these comments, I would have probably thought twice when investing my money. I changed my entire career path and solely wanted a solid foundation for myself and kid but I never knew it was going to be this difficult. EVERYONE is wanting someone with 3+ years exp or a bachelors anod no one is hiring for entry level. I thought for sure I would have a shot with starting somewhere....

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Policyrob in Sugar Land, Texas

8 months ago

Amber said: I'm in the same boat! I'm from Arkansas and I'm currently taking a course to become an adjuster and I cant seem to find anyone that will allow me to work under them!

I don't know what these people are talking about. I received my TX p&c adjuster license in 2005. Went to work immediately making 720/day and I worked for 10 months straight. I made 18k a month for 10 months. That was for pilot cat. Then I went to work for Eberls doing outside claims, as long as you can multi task, are good on a computer and coordinated. Then you can close 4-7 claims a day which pays $322 a claim for the smallest amount of a typical fee schedule. And the more damage you find the more money you make. So with Eberls the storm hit Houston where I live so I was taxed way more for my earnings....$1,200-$2200 so I made about $1750/day during my second storm and first time outside adjusting. And I came from a wealthy family or a well off one where my dad paid people to repair things instead of doing this stuff by himself or teaching. So I had no clue what a roof pitch was or what the gauge even looked like. I had no clue how to repair water damage or even scope a roof. But with Google and YouTube I was able to be successful. Shuit my cousin or no my dad got my cousin into this industry then I followed, during Katrina and Rita my cousin made 200,000 in like 60 days closing 1,000 citizen claims and 450 State Farm claims for another 120$k.. This job is great if you are fast and willing to work catastrophes.

Reply - Report abuse

8 months ago

Policyrob in Sugar Land, Texas said: I don't know what these people are talking about. I received my TX p&c adjuster license in 2005. Went to work immediately making 720/day and I worked for 10 months straight. I made 18k a month for 10 months. That was for pilot cat. Then I went to work for Eberls doing outside claims, as long as you can multi task, are good on a computer and coordinated. Then you can close 4-7 claims a day which pays $322 a claim for the smallest amount of a typical fee schedule. And the more damage you find the more money you make. So with Eberls the storm hit Houston where I live so I was taxed way more for my earnings....$1,200-$2200 so I made about $1750/day during my second storm and first time outside adjusting. And I came from a wealthy family or a well off one where my dad paid people to repair things instead of doing this stuff by himself or teaching. So I had no clue what a roof pitch was or what the gauge even looked like. I had no clue how to repair water damage or even scope a roof. But with Google and YouTube I was able to be successful. Shuit my cousin or no my dad got my cousin into this industry then I followed, during Katrina and Rita my cousin made 200,000 in like 60 days closing 1,000 citizen claims and 450 State Farm claims for another 120$k.. This job is great if you are fast and willing to work catastrophes.

Well I don't know what I'm doing wrong! lol I know there's money to be made behind this license I hold. It's just frustrating trying to find something for the "newbies" like myself.... I will check out Pilot and Eberls to see what they at offer.. I heard another one was WORLEY? Any reviews on that company?
Wish me luck as I will for you all!

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Bj in Grand Prairie, Texas

8 months ago

I just received my license in TX and start with pilot tomorrow. I would suggest you apply. Its not what I wanted as far as outside cat but its a start and the money is decent. Good luck!

Reply - Report abuse

8 months ago

Bj in Grand Prairie, Texas said: I just received my license in TX and start with pilot tomorrow. I would suggest you apply. Its not what I wanted as far as outside cat but its a start and the money is decent. Good luck!

Thank you for the suggestion I'll definitely check into that!!

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

D.owens in Texas

6 months ago

cjjack in SEBRING, Florida said: Thank you for the suggestion I'll definitely check into that!!

You said you start with pilot tomorrow. Do they have regular adjusting or do they only do deployment?
Do you have a contact number for their HR?

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

iapath in Monument, Colorado

6 months ago

For anyone looking to get started in the auto adjusting world it is challenging to get started, but starting as an independent adjuster or appraiser is a great way to get experience. Many independent appraisal companies will help new appraisers get started

If you are truly green and have zero knowledge and need help getting started feel free to email me at Chris@iapath.com

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

6 months ago

D.owens in Texas said: You said you start with pilot tomorrow. Do they have regular adjusting or do they only do deployment?
Do you have a contact number for their HR ?

Pilot mainly does deployment, but they along with other major catastrophe companies do some "zone" work, but it's still deployment.

My in laws are trainers for Pilot, hard to get started with little experience.

Here is there careers application.
www.pilotcat.com/careers.aspx

I have their # but this forum doesn't allow.

If you need help email me at Chris@iapath.com and I'decided love to discuss and try to help you. We've all been where you are.

Reply - Report abuse

6 months ago

cjjack in SEBRING, Florida said: Well I don't know what I'm doing wrong! lol I know there's money to be made behind this license I hold. It's just frustrating trying to find something for the "newbies" like myself.... I will check out Pilot and Eberls to see what they at offer.. I heard another one was WORLEY? Any reviews on that company?

Worley is a good company to work for. The main catastrophecompanies are Pilot Catastrophe, Worley, Eberle, EA Renfroe, Crawford and Company. Also check out working with differentsmaller companies including PDR or Paint less Dent Repair companies. They also do deployment for hail catastrophes. Less competition to get started and they may be willing to train. A few examples are Dent Zone, Hi-tech Pdr, Dent Wizard, CSI (catastrophe solutions international).

Also look on LinkedIn search catastrophe claims etc. If you are on LinkedIn join NOW! Networking is key it's all about who you know. Also connect to me there.

If you need additional help email me at Chris@iapath.com

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

6 months ago

Don in Addison, Illinois said: I have read a lot of the post and much of it is relevent to me as someone trying to break into the adjusting career. I would like to know if anyone has heard of Mile High Adjusters training company in Colorado and your thoughts on the effectiveness and value of their program to becoming an adjuster.

Mile High is reputable, but doesn't actually mean you'll get a job.

Starting right into catastrophe adjusting is tough (as many are saying).

I've done 5+ years of catastrophe and 8+ total as an adjuster.

Start out as an independent auto damage appraiser/adjuster to start your experience.

Learn the business and how to speak the language. Most companies don't care if you truly have 3 years experience. They care if you know how to DO THE JOB.

Reply - Report abuse

6 months ago

Kelly Edwards in Akron, Ohio said: I can't seem to find companies in my area (Akron, OH)

Any suggestions?

If you are looking for independent Auto claims check out National Independent Appraisals. Ezra Burns is the preaident and they have a solid book of business there.

The website is niaclaims.com

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

5 months ago

Christa in Indianapolis, Indiana said: Can you please tell me what is a good starting salary for an inside claims adjuster . I have an interview with Allstate in Indiana in a couple of days.

I hope your interview went well, but I'd love to help future people who read this. By being an "inside claims adjuster" I'm assuming you mean staying inside the office and not having to drive around and travel an area.

A "good" salary depends on your experience. If you have little or no experience $30,000 is where to expect your pay to be. With 2 years or more experience I'd look for $40,000 to $50,000 and with 5 years or more experience $50,000+.

The industry average for auto damage adjusters is $63,000. If you are having trouble getting a salaried position in those ranges listed above based on your experience you may want to look at being an independent adjuster. I've done it for 8 years and made at least $40,000 starting in year 1. I had to manage my own expenses and it's feast or famine, but a lot of pro's to being an independent.

Hope that helps

Reply - Report abuse

5 months ago

cjjack in SEBRING, Florida said: Well I don't know what I'm doing wrong! lol I know there's money to be made behind this license I hold. It's just frustrating trying to find something for the "newbies" like myself.... I will check out Pilot and Eberls to see what they at offer.. I heard another one was WORLEY? Any reviews on that company?

Here is the big 5 Catastrophe companies
Pilot Catastrophe
Worley Catastrophe
Eberle Claims
EA Renfroe
CNC Adjusting

All of those are great starting catastrophe companies. Remember there are 100's if not 1000's waiting to get deployed! IF you really want to get started in this industry you should be gathering experience. I suggest starting as an auto damage appraiser or adjuster in your local market (even if it's on the evening and weekends) and look to get started with smaller companies. Do the research online, connect on LinkedIn and if you need help reach out to me.

Reply - Report abuse

5 months ago

kenlyman in Springdale, Arkansas said: I did the same thing for a career change. I spent thousands on traveling to Texas, hotel , taking a week long training course and no one would even hire me. I have had many years in the construction field handling warranty issues for a construction company doing field inspections for five years with a NW Arkansas company and I could get even an interview. I must have placed my resume with hundreds of insurance company's. I interviewed once with a local company because I just walked in to a local adjustors office and asked about getting on. I was told I would have to at least have five years experience working with an insurance company before they would even hire me. No luck. I think it's a scam.

I know it feels like a scam, but it's not. The problem is going straight to catastrophe is A HARD ROAD! Very competitive. If you really want to get started in this industry it isn't guaranteed, that's why it pays so good. Get started working locally as an auto damage appraiser or adjuster. Much less competition and you can work it as a side job for extra income or to get out of debt while earning experience and connections.

You are much more valuable already DOING THE JOB than waiting. Everyone waits, few take the leaps of faith needed to secure the positions.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

5 months ago

Policyrob in Sugar Land, Texas said: I don't know what these people are talking about. I received my TX p&c adjuster license in 2005. Went to work immediately making 720/day and I worked for 10 months straight. I made 18k a month for 10 months. That was for pilot cat. Then I went to work for Eberls doing outside claims , as long as you can multi task, are good on a computer and coordinated. Then you can close 4-7 claims a day which pays $322 a claim for the smallest amount of a typical fee schedule. And the more damage you find the more money you make. So with Eberls the storm hit Houston where I live so I was taxed way more for my earnings....$1,200-$2200 so I made about $1750/day during my second storm and first time outside adjusting. And I came from a wealthy family or a well off one where my dad paid people to repair things instead of doing this stuff by himself or teaching. So I had no clue what a roof pitch was or what the gauge even looked like. I had no clue how to repair water damage or even scope a roof. But with Google and YouTube I was able to be successful. Shuit my cousin or no my dad got my cousin into this industry then I followed, during Katrina and Rita my cousin made 200,000 in like 60 days closing 1,000 citizen claims and 450 State Farm claims for another 120$k.. This job is great if you are fast and willing to work catastrophes.

So everyone understands this is the exception, not the rule. It usually isn't this easy or doesn't work out this way right out of the gate, but when it does IT'S AWESOME. Don't plan on it you'll only be disappointed. If it happens count your blessings!

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

junebabe73 in Lewisville, Texas

4 months ago

I have worked for a small minority owned business for the last 7 years in Diversity and Credentialing. I am now being forced to make a career change as the business is not doing well...I will be taking a Texas All Lines adjuster course and test next weekend. I have no idea where to go from there. I am pretty sure I will have to take a pay cut but I need to know how to begin my job search once I have completed the course. What are my options? I have a few people I know that are in the field but for some reason they are not forthcoming at all with any help or information. I already work 2 jobs and I am pretty sure I will have to stop working at my part time once I begin working in this field. I need some guidance on how to structure my resume and if I should start NOW actually applying at different companies stating I will have my license by the End of the month...any insight is greatly appreciated as I am going into this completely blind.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

newbe62 in Glen Ellyn, Illinois

4 months ago

I am in the same boat junebabe73. I applied to Worley and was accepted to be on their employee roster. I am currently working a full time job outside of Worley until I can get my license and take the leap of faith to begin a new career as a CAT adjuster. I need to get the Texas All lines license but hoping to connect with someone at Worley who is currently an Adjuster to give me a reality check concerning income expectations. It took me 6 to 8 months of applying to claims positions before Worley accepted me to be on there roster.

Reply - Report abuse

4 months ago

Nancy in Lakeland, Florida said: I just got my Adjusters license and been applying to Geico and some local insurance companies but, everyone wants years of experience. I did this for a career change and would like to be an Independent Adjuster. Any one out there in the Tampa and Orlando area?

Hi Nancy! I'm actually in the next county over from you HIGHLANDS. I've held my FL 620 license for over a year now and hadn't any luck until now. I'd applied to almost every insurance agency on earth and everyone wants multiple years of experience. That defeats the purpose for me. HOWEVER, my suggestion to you is to apply for Worley catastrophe, Pilot catastrophe, E A Renfroe, Eberls, and also apply for state farm corporate office in Winter Haven FL. I have joined Worley and have finally gotten accepted. APPLY NOW THEY ARE DEPLOYING FOR WINTER HAVEN OFFICE. Let me know I'll give you some contacts! GOOD LUCK TO YOU!

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

4 months ago

newbe62 in Glen Ellyn, Illinois said: I am in the same boat junebabe73. I applied to Worley and was accepted to be on their employee roster. I am currently working a full time job outside of Worley until I can get my license and take the leap of faith to begin a new career as a CAT adjuster. I need to get the Texas All lines license but hoping to connect with someone at Worley who is currently an Adjuster to give me a reality check concerning income expectations. It took me 6 to 8 months of applying to claims positions before Worley accepted me to be on there roster.

I've just been accepted with Worley as well. Took me over a year to get to this point. I know that they will help you with other state licenses as well so that would be good not having to come out of pocket.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

4 months ago

I will definitely apply, I have applied everywhere and had no luck yet. Like you said, they all want experience. Thanks

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

4 months ago

Nancy in Lakeland, Florida said: I will definitely apply, I have applied everywhere and had no luck yet. Like you said, they all want experience. Thanks

Nancy also check with a company called AR Direct. They are on a massive hiring blitz right now of 75 adjusters for catastrophe, day work, and desk review. Hope that helps.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

D.owens in Texas

4 months ago

Try geico. They have entry level. I have my license and it's been hard to get in because it's very competitive. I'm currently working as an auto damage inspector for an auto auction. This will give me some related experience. Maybe try something good like that or service advisor for a shop

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

4 months ago

It's hard to get into Geico, I have tried and the farthest I have gone with them is passing one of their tests.. Then just to be told to try again in 6 months. I'm confident that something will come up. Best of luck.
Thank you!

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Toni in Burbank, California

3 months ago

Not to burst the bubbles here, but frankly, I've been on Worley's roster for almost a year.. nothing has come of it. I went through literal hell to get hired by them.. Had to go all the way to Dallas for their "orientation" on the promise of a job. I get there, go through what basically amounted to showing my 2 forms of ID and after sitting in a room with about 20 others the HR rep came in and said "thanks, you can go home now." And after a grueling trip down there, that's what I got from them.. NOTHING.. This is so typical or Worley.. Except you will get their "referrals" which amount to nothing as well.. S
Worley has 30K on their roster, the chances of getting deployed with no experience, unless we see a Hurricane Katrina again (God forbid) is next to zero, and that's straight from all the people I've talked with and communicated with over the internet. It's not like it was even 5 years ago. The field is saturated with adjusters right now, and novices, or interns whatever you wanna call them, stand very little chance of getting a job. Geico is about the only one out there that hires entry level, but it's a beast getting on board with them. I don't know what the answer is. but companies like AdjusterPro mislead an awful lot of people.. And I'm sure they know perfectly well that unless you have experience, none of the companies listed on their website will actually hire entry level adjusters.. IF anyone knows differently please share. This is just my experience, and my disgust with Worley grows more each day.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

mominjax in Jacksonville, Florida

2 months ago

bradl in Sebastian, Florida said: Looking to volunteer assistance or apprentice / internship to working adjusters in my area. I have 12 months inside experience, with Pilot, and am currently licensed in FL (home state - allines), TX (allines), OK, MI, MN, LA, MS, AL, GA, SC, NC, DL, and UT. I need to get additional outside experience and would make a good "roof monkey". I need to learn more! bcgolf2@yahoo.com

Curious if you ever found an apprenticeship? I would like to ask how much did each license cost in all of those additional states? And How do you go about getting licensed in other states?

Thanks!

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

CDMiller68 in Duncanville, Texas

24 days ago

bpelkie@*****.*** in Grand Prairie, Texas said: What State Farm Cert? Like the 40 hour class or am I missing something??

I am new to the industry and I am about to take the SF Cert in June...any pointers besides study, study, study? Just received my license last week.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

23 days ago

CDMiller68 in Duncanville, Texas said: I am new to the industry and I am about to take the SF Cert in June...any pointers besides study, study, study? Just received my license last week.

1. Congrats on getting your license.
2. Great job signing up for the State Farm Certification. It's the standard (most common way to get work)

My biggest tip to passing the State Farm Auto Certification and to getting, work in general, is to realize that State Farm will be testing you on your industry knowledge, auto part knowledge, and knowledge of PDR (paintless dent repair). I'd research and watch some paintless dent repair videos, learn the terminologies etc.

It's been 4 or 5 years since I took it through EA Renfroe. Do they give you a study guide? I don't remember. Make sure you know a few things like the back of your hand.

1. PDR Matrix
2. Parts of the Car
3. Basic operations of a vehicle repair

If you are taking Property same thing, but for property. I personally have not taken the property State Farm Certification. I have heard it takes some serious studying to pass.

Also, to answer the question of what is the State Farm Cert.....the State Farm Certification is a test you must pass to be eligible to work for State Farm through any vendor. It is very important to get this under you belt to be able to work for the largest insurance company in the US. There is an auto and a property certification.

Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.