Getting a claims representative job.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

Host

How did you get your start doing claims representative work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

Reply - Report abuse

lm in Owensville, IN

94 months ago

I've been in Claims for 8 years. Once you get in it is hard to get out. You do get burned out easliy & the workload can at times be unmanageable.

My suggestion would be to seek out & talk to people that are currently working in the field to find out what it is really like.

The trap is that your skill set is very specific & hard to transfer to another field. Also , the pay is good & you get accustomed to the money but when you get burned out & want to transition into another field it is extremely hard to find something that you qualify for within your desired salary range.

I would not advise anyone to get a job in claims.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Betty Ford in Los Angeles, California

80 months ago

It is hard to get out once you are in and for exactly the reasons mentioned above. There are some really positive aspects. Most companies have excellent benefits and are organized to maintain their reps. They do not want to lose their ppl. There is good money in claims once you have some experience. There are a lot of rewards in helping others when they have been injured or have lost something significant like the use of the family vehicle or a home. You have the ability to be sort of the white knight in this case. It is comforting to me to be able to say.. " don't worry.. we will make this right" This is something I would want to have done for me if I was on the other end. I have passion for what I do. I love it and have been at it for about 11 years. I know many that are burned out.. but this often comes from a detached attitude in regard to the actual person on the other end of the claim. Sometimes it comes from a company which forgets about the actual ppl in the trenches handling claims.. but.. for me.. I have enjoyed it tremendously and feel like I am doing something worthwhile.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No Reply - Report abuse

martha in Los Angeles, California

78 months ago

Host said: How did you get your start doing claims representative work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?I need more information please

Do you need a particular educational background?[I need more information please]

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Zenophas in Chicago, Illinois

77 months ago

I'm located in the Chicago, Illinois location and I been trying to get a job in claims. My background is mortgage underwriter for 7 years but since everything is so crazy I'm unable to find a job. So I started back to school major in Healthcare Administration hoping that could get me the door, but if you have any connections or tips please email me at zenoph8@aol.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ActionJackson in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

62 months ago

The below comments are essentially correct. I'd like to add that claims reps hit a ceiling when it comes to salary, but what's worse, it's very difficult to get out of claims once your're in it. I talk to a lot of people in claims and everybody wants out and nobody knows how or what to do other than take a salary cut in an entry level position. It's dead end, it burns you out, and most end up being really unhappy. You're constantly managed by numbers and the salary isn't worth it. I wouldn't go into claims if i had to do it all over again.

Seriously, if you're thinking about claims, take it from me, be careful. Think long and hard about doing something else.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.