What are typical clinical dietitian salaries?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (9)

Host

Do some companies pay a lot more for this position than others? What does a top earner make in this field?

What skills should you learn to increase your salary?

Reply - Report abuse

awt in Bronx, New York

72 months ago

Typical dietitian salary begins at 55K for staff dietitian and move up to low 60K for experience.
Clinical nutriition managers starts at mid 60K and move up to over 80K depending on beds also experience

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

dm in Tomball, Texas

49 months ago

awt in Bronx, New York said: Typical dietitian salary begins at 55K for staff dietitian and move up to low 60K for experience.
Clinical nutriition managers starts at mid 60K and move up to over 80K depending on beds also experience

Texas Dietitians start out around at $45k.... Masters Degree does not help.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

lrunk in Buffalo, New York

48 months ago

well in western ny starting salary for clinical RDs is like 38,000. I'm currently in management and only making in the 40K's. Having a masters has helped me get jobs over others, but there's no financial compensation for it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

xined in Brooklyn, New York

36 months ago

awt in Bronx, New York said: Typical dietitian salary begins at 55K for staff dietitian and move up to low 60K for experience.

I'm not sure where in the Bronx is paying a starting salary of $55K. This is not common in NYC. Usually clinical dietitians earn a starting salary in the low to mid 40K range, and depending on experience, additional specialty certifications, and facility/setting can make $100K+. Clinical Nutrition Managers typically start out in the 50K-60K without managerial experience (although clinical experience is required), or maybe some experience with a leadership or supervisory role as a staff dietitian. As experience is gained, and again, depending on the size of the setting, the amount of staff one is responsible for, and additional earned credentials or specialty certifications, this role can earn well over $100K.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

aaw214 in Montrose, New York

36 months ago

It is your worth, after 4 yrs plus rotation you accept a 40+ salary you are to blame. No RD, who values themelves just out of college should request less than 55K or more, esp. in NYC shame on you. And no CNM should accept anything less than 70k shame on you. If it was a dominated male industry our salary would begin at 80-90K just like a pharmacist we sell ourselves short every time...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

xined in New York, New York

36 months ago

@aaw214: I don't think you read thoroughly. The person making $40K range is not in NYC. They are in western NY/Buffalo. Also, your words are a bit unfair. It is common knowledge that clinical dietitians do not earn the income that their qualifications warrant. There's no need to make it personal. In various areas, positions pay differently. And coupled with this economic climate, the truth is that if one dietitian doesn't accept a position because it doesn't pay an ideal salary, there will be a line of others who will. In case you are not familiar, I can say with certainty since I've worked in several of the five boroughs, that NYC pays at the lowest end of the salary ranges across the nation for clinical RDs - and this is backed by the ADA's compensation surveys. This may be due to the flood of dietetic programs and entry-level dietitians and in this area, not really sure. But instead of blaming individuals for selling themselves short, I say we, as a profession, should focus on working together to get the recognition and salary that we deserve. This is where I feel the ADA fails, as they should be spearheading this effort for its members.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

aaw214 in Montrose, New York

36 months ago

I absolutely agree with you, but please, your tone does sound bitter. I work as a manager in NYC I interview RDs for jobs, and hate to admit it, we do sell ourselves short. And yes the ADA does play a major role in salary compensation, but in the mean time, one must know there worth. Accepting a 40K position in NYC is totally unacceptable for some -one with a masters, has there RD and even though it is entry level, they had gone through a rigorous internship, not to mention the hours of internship has an additional 300 hours.I am saddened.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Celeste in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

28 months ago

I recently interviewed for a Sodexo clinical position and these were the questions:

1.) Give an example about a time in which you provided someone with excellent customer service. What was the situation? What was the outcome? How did you measure success?

2.) Tell me about a time you were working in a facility that ran out of a certain supplement. What did you do/How did you handle the situation?

3.) Describe a time in which you encountered a challenge/barrier to completing your job. What was the problem? How did you overcome it?

4.) What computer programs are you proficient with?

5.) Describe a time in which you were in a situation where you had to work with two or more co-workers/employees that did not get along with each other. How did you handle this situation? Was the problem solved? If so, how? What was the end result?

6.) Describe a time in which you had a difficult patient. What was the situation? How did you handle it? What was the outcome?

7.) Describe a time in which you had a job/project to complete and you had little time to do it. What happened? Did you complete the job? What steps did you take to manage your time in order to complete this job?

8.) Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

9.) Where do you see yourself in 1 year?

10.) How does this job fall in line with your long-term/short-term professional goals?

Two additional questions:

* Tell me why I should hire you? What sets you above the other candidates?
** What interests you about this job?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.