Biological Sciences (Pharmacology) Graduate - looking for the first step to securing a job

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

Tim P in London, United Kingdom

58 months ago

A friend of mine has graduated with a BSc (Honours) in Biological Sciences (Pharmacology) from Edinburgh University, with a 2.1.
She is looking to secure a position in clinical research; however, she is struggling with not having the typical prerequisite of 2 years experience.

She has contacted a number of firms applying for 'real' positions, but also asking for voluntary work - to no avail.
If there is any other way anyone knows of for obtaining any type of relevant experience / getting a position without experience, it would be appreciated.

Regards,

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

kelly in London, United Kingdom

55 months ago

Depends on whether she wants to be a CRA or CTA...
Its really difficult to get a CRA role without experience, especially in the current climate. I would recommend she go for a CTA role, in either a CRO or pharmaceutical company. Its quite a administrative role, but you don't need any experience.
HOWEVER be warned that a lot of employers are looking for CTA candidates that aren't interested in progressing to CRA level... Its something I have started to notice a lot in the UK and I've seen a lot of graduates turned away because they want to go in at CTA level and go up to CRA. To get around this I would recommend if she wants to get in the industry, to just get a CTA role and make sure in interview she says she is happy to stay there and isn't interested in the CRA role. Then, once she has enough experience start to look for junior CRA roles and leave the company after a year if they really won't promote her! Its not exactly honest but i have seen a LOT of people do this to get into CRA work.
Once she has at least 1-2 years as a CTA its easier to get a CRA role which I assume is probabaly what shes looking for?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

kelly in London, United Kingdom

55 months ago

Depends on whether she wants to be a CRA or CTA...
Its really difficult to get a CRA role without experience, especially in the current climate. I would recommend she go for a CTA role, in either a CRO or pharmaceutical company. Its quite a administrative role, but you don't need any experience.
HOWEVER be warned that a lot of employers are looking for CTA candidates that aren't interested in progressing to CRA level... Its something I have started to notice a lot in the UK and I've seen a lot of graduates turned away because they want to go in at CTA level and go up to CRA. To get around this I would recommend if she wants to get in the industry, to just get a CTA role and make sure in interview she says she is happy to stay there and isn't interested in the CRA role. Then, once she has enough experience start to look for junior CRA roles and leave the company after a year if they really won't promote her! Its not exactly honest but i have seen a LOT of people do this to get into CRA work.
Once she has at least 1-2 years as a CTA its easier to get a CRA role which I assume is probabaly what shes looking for?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.