CRA Training resources

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (151 to 200 of 285)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next »   Last »

Rolove in Newark, New Jersey

70 months ago

Is The American SciTech Research Institute a ligitimate school? Do they do what they say?

Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

CRACONNECTION.COM in Ypsilanti, Michigan

70 months ago

I don't know. The CRACONNECTION.COM site does provide relevant CRA resources. Check it out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Riddhi in Kearny, New Jersey

69 months ago

I have completed my PhD in chemical Biology. I have extensive experience in basic research but wanted to shift from basic research to clinical research. I am looking for clinical trials assistant/coordinator jobs in NJ/NYC area. Can anybody suggest me how can I enter into this industry without any experience in this field.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Merideth

69 months ago

American scitech may be a school/training place, but the training won't get you anywhere. Training from American scitech is only worthwhile if you plan to work there. A major CRO won't value the training you received there, they train their own. The difference between American scitech training and the training you'd receive at another, more reputable CRO is that American scitech asks you to pay for training, all other CROs pay YOU during the training program!

Just looking at the American scitech website, I am very skeptical you'd receive quality instruction. The sample material they provide is from a college, not from someone affiliated with their institution! Red flag! The website is full of poor grammar/ spelling and is full of stock clip art, nothing from their actual classroom or CRO.

I would carefully research the company and read the posts from others on this forum before you pay for something normally given to you for free when you are hired at other CROs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Dee in Highland Park, New Jersey

69 months ago

ASRI is approved by the NJ Dept. of Education & LWD

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Rolove in Andover, New Jersey

69 months ago

Can I speak to someone who has attended this school and who has actually gotten a job afterwards.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Dee in Highland Park, New Jersey

69 months ago

Hi Dee,
Thank you for your interest in our program. If you enroll for EDC-CRA program then you will get real time experience as a CRA with data management skills.Once you are here we may utilize your skills as Regulatory affair personnel.
Thanks again,
ASRI Admin

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Admin in Highland Park, New Jersey

69 months ago

Thank you for your interest in our program. If you enroll for EDC-CRA program then you will get real time experience as a CRA with data management skills.Once you are here we may utilize your skills as Regulatory affair personnel.
Thanks again,
ASRI Admin

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Shah in Kearny, New Jersey

69 months ago

Can anybody has idea about in Clinical Research Academy of America (CRAA) in NJ. I am thinking of joining their clinical research assistant program. if anyone has take their course before please guide me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

JJ in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

69 months ago

The biggest question I have to ask people who are considering going to one of these 'clinical research schools' is WHY WOULD YOU PAY FOR SOMETHING YOU COULD GET FOR FREE?

Why would you pay $12,000 for a certificate from a company, not a university when you could get better training from one of the many large CROs that will pay YOU to complete their training program? Receiving training from one of the large CROs looks better on a resume than one of these little schools.

Everyone's out there to make money, and that's just what these schools want from you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

JJ in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania said: The biggest question I have to ask people who are considering going to one of these 'clinical research schools' is WHY WOULD YOU PAY FOR SOMETHING YOU COULD GET FOR FREE?

Why would you pay $12,000 for a certificate from a company, not a university when you could get better training from one of the many large CROs that will pay YOU to complete their training program? Receiving training from one of the large CROs looks better on a resume than one of these little schools.

Everyone's out there to make money, and that's just what these schools want from you.

can you please provide name of the company's in NJ/PA area.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

jj in Austin, Texas

69 months ago

Shah in Kearny, New Jersey said: can you please provide name of the company's in NJ/PA area.

There are at least 20 well-known companies that have regional offices in in New Jersey or Eastern PA. I'll let you do the research on which one will be right for you. A good place to look for open position is on Indeed, Medzilla or on the ACRP webite.

Also, keep in mind, if you have a few years experience in research you will be able to work from home for any company in the world, so your options are endless.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

jj in Austin, Texas said: There are at least 20 well-known companies that have regional offices in in New Jersey or Eastern PA. I'll let you do the research on which one will be right for you. A good place to look for open position is on Indeed, Medzilla or on the ACRP webite.

Also, keep in mind, if you have a few years experience in research you will be able to work from home for any company in the world, so your options are endless.

Thank you for information.I dont have prior experience in clinical research Most of CRO are looking for CRA with experience. I am trying to get a job/ volunteer experience as clinical trial assistant/coordinator for almost 4 months but didnt have any luck yet. Therefore I decided to take CRAA course. I do have 6 yeas of basic research experience in academia.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

brad in Princeton, New Jersey

69 months ago

you know the legal responsibility for claiming that, don't you?

69 months ago

Riddhi in Kearny, New Jersey said: I have completed my PhD in chemical Biology. I have extensive experience in basic research but wanted to shift from basic research to clinical research. I am looking for clinical trials assistant/coordinator jobs in NJ/NYC area. Can anybody suggest me how can I enter into this industry without any experience in this field.

you are a well trained scientist. use your critical thinking skills to see whether you should trust ASRI. don't trust anyone's word but your own judgment.

my advise is to get away from them. in some sense, i am a victim of their promises. i called them, i visited their "school", yet we still got our money and time wasted for nothing. liars can promise you anything without shame. if it is for your money, they then definitely will.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

i don't really know how ASRI got people speaking for it. the administrative staff, who were selected from the class, are either brainwashed to believe in their "education", or simply paid to lie (yes, that's part of the "paid internship". very useful practice). the poor students got their money robbed and they would rather force themselves to have faith simply to feel better, until the last day when they finally realized it was truly a fraud and were driven away.

desperation blinds people. i guess that's how ASRI is taking advantage of us.

Ratna greywal in New York, New York

69 months ago

I attended ASRI and it's a full fledged scam!
The teachers are idiots with POwer point presentations they modified from ones found online. Can't explain anything on the slides, forget explaining, they can't read them properly.
They're not an accredited school.
They claim to have a cro , but I've never seen more than 4 people in the office
their trials on clinicaltrials.gov are at a standstill from last 3 years. None Of their trials have recruited paitents.

Kman in Chicago, Illinois

69 months ago

Why anyone would pay for a clinical research course is beyond me.

These courses are completely unnecessary. Everyone knows that CROs train their own. They don't care about the training you got from some other place, they will put you through a comprehensive training program while your on the payroll. If another company is willing to pay you to sit through their training, why would you choose to spend money with one of these courses that can't guarantee a job afterward?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

hiral.palkhiwala@*****.*** in Kearny, New Jersey

69 months ago

Kman in Chicago, Illinois said: Why anyone would pay for a clinical research course is beyond me.

These courses are completely unnecessary. Everyone knows that CROs train their own. They don't care about the training you got from some other place, they will put you through a comprehensive training program while your on the payroll. If another company is willing to pay you to sit through their training, why would you choose to spend money with one of these courses that can't guarantee a job afterward?

Dear All,

I am MS student for Drug regulatory Affairs which covers the aspect of clinical research. I am trying to find job in clinical research but as I do not have practical knwledge I am having hard time. Can any one suggest me should I take the courses, will it help?

Thanks

Merideth in Skokie, Illinois

69 months ago

hiral.palkhiwala@gmail.com in Kearny, New Jersey said: Dear All,

I am MS student for Drug regulatory Affairs which covers the aspect of clinical research. I am trying to find job in clinical research but as I do not have practical knwledge I am having hard time. Can any one suggest me should I take the courses, will it help?

Thanks

Why would you need anymore training? You already exceed the required education (BS) to get your first job in research. I do not think any more training will help. The best teacher is real world experience, not classroom training.

In order to get your first job in research, look at entry level positions because without experience you are an entry-level candidate, even though you may have a MS.

By the language you've used, I can tell that you are not a native English speaker. If I were to suggest anything it would be a course to improve your prose, as it is necessary to be a very good writer and communicator to be in this field.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Merideth

69 months ago

There is no such thing as a recruiter for most entry-level jobs. You can't expect to give your resume to some firm and expect them to do all the legwork for you. I also highly recommend that experienced people do not use recruiters because they siphon off a portion of your salary in order to get you the job.

You are in a great position because you've already made A LOT of contacts while you were getting your masters degree. Get back in contact with your professors and ask for references, suggestions and leads. Your school should also have a career services department that will help you write the perfect resume. The next step is to network through professional organizations like acrp and socra. This is the best way to find the first job because someone can vouch for you.

Many of the big cro's ( like quintiles, kendle, kforce, ppd, covance, chitlern, rps, j and j, aerotek, etc.) don't advertise on the job boards.... Check out their website. Research your area so that you know if there are any places around you , but Don't expect to get a position in the state that you live in.... I had to move 500 miles for that first job. If you can't move, you cannot expect to get a job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Abhi in Hackensack, New Jersey

69 months ago

Ratna greywal is a FRAUD!!!
She's the biggest cheat and liar I've ever seen.
Her program is BOGUS
that fraud is running a cra training program when she has no clinical trial experience herself
she dosent have clinical experience.

sparsh in Piscataway, New Jersey

68 months ago

dont believe without seeing.. go and interact with the staff.i know they are the best in dealing with the students, reliable and they would help you in getting the internship and placement done.

Shah in Kearny, New Jersey said: Can anybody has idea about in Clinical Research Academy of America (CRAA) in NJ. I am thinking of joining their clinical research assistant program. if anyone has take their course before please guide me.

Kathy in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

68 months ago

Sparsh,

This is a good point, especially pertaining to online programs. But, don't rely on a what an admissions rep tells you. Admissions reps are sales agents, especially with these for-profit training programs.

If you go somewhere, do not rely solely on the testimony of someone who still works with the training organization. Their reviews have the potential to be biased. You want to go out and find graduates (on your own, of course, the graduate referrals given by admissions reps are also likely to be biased) that are now working with other companies and have no further ties to the company.

You also want to check up on the type of internships/placements given to students. You'll need to know the type of company and study they worked on AND the different phases of the trial they have experience with. If you get placed on a study that's only in one phase , let's say start up, and you never get a chance to work on interim monitoring phase or on close out visits- That's NOT a good internship. When you talk to unaffiliated graduates, ask them how many SIVs, IMVs, COVs and PSV's they went on during their internship. A training program that doesn't make their students travel to investigative sites is worthless.

If you are considering going to a training program that's affiliated with a CRO, also make sure to ask:
1. How many investigative sites work with your CRO?
2. How many studies are being conducted and what phase are they in?
3. How many of each PSV, SIV, IMV, COV visits does each person get to accompany an experienced monitor?
4. How much business travel and homeoffice experience will I gain during the internship?
5. What is your companies policies on business travel?
6. How many companies do you place graduates?

sparsh in Paramus, New Jersey

68 months ago

Do you have any experience with Clinical Research Academy of America.

Kathy in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania said: Sparsh,

This is a good point, especially pertaining to online programs. But, don't rely on a what an admissions rep tells you. Admissions reps are sales agents, especially with these for-profit training programs.

If you go somewhere, do not rely solely on the testimony of someone who still works with the training organization. Their reviews have the potential to be biased. You want to go out and find graduates (on your own, of course, the graduate referrals given by admissions reps are also likely to be biased) that are now working with other companies and have no further ties to the company.

You also want to check up on the type of internships/placements given to students. You'll need to know the type of company and study they worked on AND the different phases of the trial they have experience with. If you get placed on a study that's only in one phase , let's say start up, and you never get a chance to work on interim monitoring phase or on close out visits- That's NOT a good internship. When you talk to unaffiliated graduates, ask them how many SIVs, IMVs, COVs and PSV's they went on during their internship. A training program that doesn't make their students travel to investigative sites is worthless.

If you are considering going to a training program that's affiliated with a CRO, also make sure to ask:
1. How many investigative sites work with your CRO?
2. How many studies are being conducted and what phase are they in?
3. How many of each PSV, SIV, IMV, COV visits does each person get to accompany an experienced monitor?
4. How much business travel and homeoffice experience will I gain during the internship?
5. What is your companies policies on business travel?
6. How many companies do you place graduates?

68 months ago

sparsh in Paramus, New Jersey said: Do you have any experience with Clinical Research Academy of America.

No, I did not go to Clinical Research Academy. Actually, I've been a CRA for 6 years (CRC for 3 years before that) and I have NEVER met ANYONE that has any of the clinical research training schools.

Looking at the CRAA website, the following problems jump out at me:
-There are no real pictures of the institution, the dean of the school or any of the instructors! The pictures they have are just stock clip art. It makes me worry this school operates out of some leased office space instead of being a real school.
-They do not list any professional relationships with any major CROs.
-Nothing on their website talks about taking FAFSA. If a educational institution doesn't accept FAFSA financial aid, the US government doesn't see this as a worthy higher education provider.
-They state they offer 'Masters level work' but because they do not accept FAFSA financial aid, it is extremely unlikely that a real university would allow you to transfer credits from this course. Talk to a real university to see if they would allow you to transfer the credits earned from this institution, if not, be very suspicious.
-Lack of Academic Alliances for the US. I know it's not 'right,' but foreign degrees and training are typically VERY undervalued in the US economy.

This program seems to try to try to take advantage of foreigners that may not know a lot about the US field of clinical research. In India, clinical research is booming and you need these classes there, but it's completely different in the USA. In India, education is very highly valued, but this is not the case in the USA. USA employers want EXPERIENCE, not education.

Instead of CRAA, I would suggest if you have that much money laying around, I would consider getting a Master's Degree from GWU instead of wasting your money at CRAA.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Anlipa in Austin, Texas

68 months ago

Kathy,

I have to agree here.

I've only been a CRA for 4 years and I've never met anyone who got his or her start in one of these training schools. It's just not what US employers value when interviewing their entry-level applicants. I am sure its better than nothing, but if I could hire and entry level CRA that took a class or an entry level CRA that's worked as a coordinator or a CTA for 2 years, I would choose the CRC/CTA everyday of the week.

From reading this board, I also feel that it seems like a scam targeting vulnerable foreigners trying to get a job in this bad economy.

Jasmin in Basking Ridge, New Jersey

68 months ago

Rolove in Newark, New Jersey said: Is The American SciTech Research Institute a ligitimate school? Do they do what they say?

Thanks

No, not really. I've taken the course, which was expensive, disorganized, poorly taught, and took closer to 9 months than the 6 months advertised. There's no real internship-- if you insist, they'll pay you a couple hundred bucks a months to come in and do completely made-up work. The CRO is not currently running any trials, there's no one who works there who is qualified to be a medical monitor for a trial (as far as I can tell, there's all of about 4 employees, and mostly what they do is administer the class) and there's no real clinical ressearch experience to be had there. There's also no placement service.

Other comments on the board are pretty accurate about what you should look for in a training program. Maybe there's a legitimate one out there, but it's not American SciTech

Proemed in La Habra, California

68 months ago

Abhi in Hackensack, New Jersey said: Ratna greywal is a FRAUD!!!
She's the biggest cheat and liar I've ever seen.
Her program is BOGUS
that fraud is running a cra training program when she has no clinical trial experience herself
she dosent have clinical experience.

What are you talking about? I don't know this person but she is obviously not supporting Ameriscitech. Her comments say what most student their say. That the program is a scam! So why are you attacking her accusing her of running a program. She is certinly not praising American Scitech.

craa in Edison, New Jersey

68 months ago

Dear Kathy/Sparsh: Thank you for the healthy discussion on this forum. Your comments about our company, Clinical Research Academy of America (CRAA), are well-taken and we'd like to address the concerns raised by you, not only for your clarification, but for many others like you, who continue to remain our most valuable critics:
- Website: While you may not know that our current website is being revamped, your constructive feedback will certainly help us fix some of things that you've touched upon, including using graphics, pictures and putting "faces" behind our company. We currently have classes conducted in New Jersey (510, Thornall Street, Suite 360, Edison, NJ 08837), and we welcome you to visit our facility and meet our staff & students.
-Listing professional relationships with CROs: We are proud and confident of our relationships with our partners, which include some of the leading medical organizations in the North East and globally. Due to the confidentiality of our agreements with them, and nature of work, we do not publicize or list these partnerships on our website. However, we'd be happy to provide references not only of our existing partners, but also our alumni students who have interned at these partner sites and even got employed there.
-FAFSA & other financial aid: We would respectfully disagree with your comment on credibility of a higher institution if it's not providing FAFSA. We're approved by New Jersey Department of Education (NJ DOE) and Department of Labor & Workforce Development (NJ DOL&WD). Our programs are eligible for NJ DOL&WD grants. In addition, we're in the process of getting accreditation from Accreditating Council of Independent Colleges and Schools (ACICS), the largest national accrediting organization for degree-granting colleges in the USA.
(To be continued in next post)

craa in Edison, New Jersey

68 months ago

-Master programs: We are currently running post-graduate (masters') program in clinical research outside US. Our one-year program in Clinical research is approved by NJ DOE and NJ DOL&WD as well. However, within US, we run short-term certificate programs, since most of our students are looking for short programs that help them hit the ground running. As regards to transferring credits, students within US may not be able to do that at present but with accreditation they would be.

-Foreign programs: We are SEVP approved (by US Immigration & Customs Enforcement) to enroll international students. As the clinical research market is growing overseas, we are proud to contribute to this growth by providing highly trained professionals globally. Our graduates, enriched by advanced US education and hands-on experience with our industry partners contribute to clinical research industry in their home countries. We are proud of our ability to reach the global audience, and offer quality programs that fit the needs of various markets. In fact, keeping precisely the point you make as our motto ("US employers want experience more than the education"), we have designed our internship programs that really bring our students closest to jobs, than any other programs out there.

I hope we're able to address some of the concerns here. If you need further clarification, I welcome you to respond or contact us directly at our office numbers. We wish you good luck for your decision to pursue clinical research education!

CRAA Team

68 months ago

To the CRAA team:

I am always wary of anyone offering a Master's degree in clinical research as a tool for entry level employment. Why should someone seek a Master's degree for a entry level job of $10 - $12/hr? It actually makes employers wonder what is wrong with you? Experience is the only break into the business tool.

A masters degree should be reserved for a senior level position. Someone who can benefit from doing ground breaking research and SOCRA conference level presentations. Rarely do you see this little schools do this. Duke, George Washington University are known schools for graduate programs.

Now about accreditation lets stop fooling around. For senior level colleges offering Bachelors, Masters and Phds the only accreditation that means anything is regional accreditation. WASC,MSASC (Middle state Assoc of schools and Colleges)are the accreditation bodies that state schools and recognized institutions look for to see that a school course work is acceptable for transfer or credit. They are the standard for a BS/BA/MA/MS/Phd degrees are considered legitimate. I noticed CRAA didn't mention this accreditation. Why? Slick letters and formalities do not replace serious work and hospital/ business connections that real regional accredited institutions have.

Why offer a master's degree for a basic vocational training? An entry level CRC should not expect Master's level work and employers see this as a mismatch. Is that how you want to apply for your first job as a mismatch?

Not a Kforce fan in Lynn, Massachusetts

68 months ago

Merideth said: There is no such thing as a recruiter for most entry-level jobs. You can't expect to give your resume to some firm and expect them to do all the legwork for you. I also highly recommend that experienced people do not use recruiters because they siphon off a portion of your salary in order to get you the job.

You are in a great position because you've already made A LOT of contacts while you were getting your masters degree. Get back in contact with your professors and ask for references, suggestions and leads. Your school should also have a career services department that will help you write the perfect resume. The next step is to network through professional organizations like acrp and socra. This is the best way to find the first job because someone can vouch for you.

Many of the big cro's ( like quintiles, kendle, kforce, ppd, covance, chitlern, rps, j and j, aerotek, etc.) don't advertise on the job boards.... Check out their website. Research your area so that you know if there are any places around you , but Don't expect to get a position in the state that you live in.... I had to move 500 miles for that first job. If you can't move, you cannot expect to get a job.

I don't know what CRA means but Kforce advertises the same jobs everyday on every job board for my field accounting. I'm not sure why but I see them everyday. They called once in about 2 years with one job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Not a Kforce fan in Lynn, Massachusetts

68 months ago

" Clinical Trial Associate / Junior CRA - new
Kforce Professional Staffing - Cambridge, MA
At Kforce Clinical Research, we don't just offer jobs. We offer a rewarding career experience, complete with professional development opportunities and a great...
From Monster - 11 days ago - save job -
block - email - more... "

This is right from this website under jobs in Lynn, MA "CRA" .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

CRAA in Edison, New Jersey said: -Our one-year program in Clinical research is approved by NJ DOE and NJ DOL&WD as well.

CRAA Team

As Proemed indicated, the accreditation by the New Jersey Department of Education is not the same regional accreditation. In my opinion, it is not sufficient to assure potential students of the quality of a program. "Working on" being accredited is still not accredited and provides no benefit to students until it is granted.

This type of training is completely unnecessary to gain entry-level employment in clinical research and it will never be a substitute for actual experience. Therefore, if someone inquires about the quality of any program in order to find employment, it is necessary to caution them on its limitations. US employers want experience- Education beyond a Bachelor's degree or RN is not necessary and is very undervalued in this market.

heatherhyh@*****.*** in Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania

68 months ago

Dear All:

I graduated from medical school and got a PhD degree in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology outside US, also am ECFMG certified. Match is getting tougher, so I'm thinking of a job on clinical trials. Could anybody please give me any suggestions? Thanks a lot in advance.

Sincerely

aaryan in Edison, New Jersey

68 months ago

Clinical Research is going to be the good option for you, to start a career with, Start a career with full confidence and avoid making mistakes on site, the lesser the mistakes the faster would be the drug into the market, so get a training done... enter into the industry or wait for your luck to strike you into the industry.

heatherhyh@gmail.com in Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania said: Dear All:

I graduated from medical school and got a PhD degree in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology outside US, also am ECFMG certified. Match is getting tougher, so I'm thinking of a job on clinical trials. Could anybody please give me any suggestions? Thanks a lot in advance.

Sincerely

68 months ago

Hello, Thank you so much for your reply. Could you please tell me more in details? I do need some guides. I really appreciate your time and efforts.
Sincerely

Dr.Sumit in Edison, New Jersey

68 months ago

Training in clinical research is an important aspect as it bridges the gap between the need of the industry and available professionals.

In the past, pharmaceutical companies hired candidates and trained them in clinical research, investing time and money and let them work for the company on a mutual agreement for a specified period of time.

Since the outburst of clinical research training institutes, the companies are getting already trained candidates so they need not to waste their money and time on candidates for training..

These trained candidates are now ready to be on board.

Another reason, Pharmaceutical companies want their investigational product to launch into the market as soon as possible, and if untrained professionals are working in the market, mistakes are bound to be made (protocol deviations and violation), which will in turn delay the launch of the product,not to mention heightened expenses and wasted time..., the quality of the data will also diminish.

I fiercely recommend candidates who are interested in entering the Clinical Research field become trained and certified, for a successful start and to excel and survive in this industry.

Hence in order to gain experience you need to survive, and to survive knowledge is required!
Get yourself trained... and excel!!

68 months ago

Dr Summits comment would apply in a perfect world. We live in an imperfect one. Lots of people get CRA training in hopes of landing that 1st CRA job. That is as far as it so often goes, is there is training then nothing. Employers don't even acknowledge training in some companies. I know one CRA when she wanted to complete her certification was told. We have run all our trials without requiring certified CRAs and its worked out fine. I can name the source but that is not important.

I'm not saying that training doesn't help. I am saying in this economy and market its all about experience. That is why I am saying training does not make an prospective employer say oh we got to get this person their CRA certified. If you have experience in the field of medicine that a company happens to run clinical trials in they take notice of resume. Training can strengthen that but it never replaces experience.

So it is all about the first job. Then you can spend money or invest in training. One recruiter said to me so you took a Master program in clinic research that is just a bunch of classes right? A nurse with an LVN has real hospital experience. I'll submit the nurse first every time. Besides even certification requires experience so in this field you got to start at the beginning.

68 months ago

Hi, Guys
I really appreciate your time and efforts. Your answers are so helpful for me. Thanks a lot.

Sincerely

68 months ago

Dear Proemed,

I respect your opinion, so lets not go into much debate on it.

According to my journey from a CRA to a project manager, I saw so many things.

Employers were taking untrained professional because the demand and supply gap was more, but right now we are in transition phase of unavailability to availability of trained professional.

With the word training I mean, onsite training working as CRC or InHouse CRA at the site/CRO, after completing the basic understanding of Clinical Research industry, i.e. as internship after any basic course of Clinical Research.

After few years from now, most of them would be having experience, but the person with a support of any certificate or degree would be promoted, dont you think so.

I understood your point, now try to think like this, from a different angle.

I will appreciate any response from any one of you.

Dr.Sumit

Proemed in La Habra, California said: Dr Summits comment would apply in a perfect world. We live in an imperfect one. Lots of people get CRA training in hopes of landing that 1st CRA job. That is as far as it so often goes, is there is training then nothing. Employers don't even acknowledge training in some companies. I know one CRA when she wanted to complete her certification was told. We have run all our trials without requiring certified CRAs and its worked out fine. I can name the source but that is not important.

I'm not saying that training doesn't help. I am saying in this economy and market its all about experience. That is why I am saying training does not make an prospective employer say oh we got to get this person their CRA certified. If you have experience in the field of medicine that a company happens to run clinical..

68 months ago

Dear Dr. Summit:

I can't agree more with you on the onsite training part. I'm looking forward to opportunities like this. Do you have any recommendations? Thanks a lot.

Sincerely

68 months ago

Provide me your resume "hesumit@gmail.com". I can Help in forwarding it to some org which provides entry level internship.
I m sure you will get it..

heatherhyh@gmail.com in Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania said: Dear Dr. Summit:

I can't agree more with you on the onsite training part. I'm looking forward to opportunities like this. Do you have any recommendations? Thanks a lot.

Sincerely

Massa in Mount Vernon, New York

68 months ago

BEWARE of for-profit training companies telling you that you need training to get a job in clinical research. This board has become nothing more than free advertising for these companies.

An essential thing you MUST do before you even consider doing a course is by networking with people in the industry. Don't do it online where someone from these for-profit training academies can pose as a happy graduate- you need to talk to people in your community that are doing research and ask how they got into the business and ask for leads from them.

Always be skeptical and make sure what you are being told from a for-profit company that is trying to get your money.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ralf Jazz in Edison, New Jersey

68 months ago

ok guys!
Everyone is free to provide his/her opinion.

And that is good to discuss before concluding anything.
There might be need of experienced people,and might experience count more than training! agreed!
But role of Educational institute can not be denied, there are educational institute which are sincerely helping people to get into the industry.

So bottom line is: For Every candidate, Explore maximum wherever you are going to join, check the profile, if possible visit the institute, ask for references, ask for list of students get placed. Attend demo class.
Explore your contact.... and never miss an opportunity to get experience in any form, either paid or unpaid.

Ask for maximum help they can provide to you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

My all Companions for your information only.
Monitors (CRAs) play a imp role in the successful completion of a clinical trial process and liaison between the Sponsor and the site.
Several FDA warning letters have been recently issued that document the inadequate monitoring practices in the industry. It is critical for monitors to be armed with the appropriate knowledge and training to adequately and successfully conduct their monitoring visits.
Common Mistakes make by a monitor during visit to the site:-
Avoiding direct communication with the PI
Having inadequate expertise with the protocol
Settling for inadequate source documentation
Focusing on details that are inconsequential
Not asking the right questions
Leaving monitoring responsibilities for the “next visit”
Lack of timely follow-up
Take care of these.
Source: ACRP

Sadua in Austin, Texas

68 months ago

The biggest thing to know about training is that no CRA should ever have to pay for their own training.

I've worked for the 1st, 2nd and 3rd biggest clinical research organizations in the country and 2 very small clinical research organizations and NONE, absolutely NONE of them required any sort class that you had to do prior to your employment to get a job. They want entry level experience such as a research assistant, not training.

They want you to do things THEIR way and not bring in any bad habits from previous jobs. Even the smallest companies will hire you and then they'll pay for your training. Some of the training programs last 3 months and include a trial internship phase for entry-level candidates. You'll be getting paid during your classroom learning and your internship- you shouldn't have to PAY for something that everyone else is getting PAID for doing.

I think people are trying to skip years of experience and try going right into a CRC or even a CRA position with these training programs. It's not going to happen! A training course does NOT qualify you for one of these jobs, a project assistant job, a research assistant job, a CTA job is how 98% of the people advance into the CRC or CRA positions- they don't waste their money on training courses.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

Yes, Sadua this is what I have been trying to explain to people on this forum. You speak the truth. While education is important it is not considered a substitute for experience. Unfortunately there are very few trial assistant or internship positions available. That doesn't make what you said any less true.

Another point you make is that education cost money. It may open some doors. But, even big name Universities don't have the clout that a small CROs have in offering real experience. It's unfortunate, but Universities don't like to talk about placement rate, especially for CRA/CRC programs. Universities are not pharma companies. All these training programs want there money up front; because they know a significant portion of their graduates are never going to get into the field. I wish you weren't so right about this, but your telling it like it really is.

Tsma in Chicago, Illinois

68 months ago

Does anyone know about the credibility of The Clinical Research Academy of America,Edison, Newjersey.They provide various courses in Clinical Research. I am looking at a 3 month course in CRA which is followed by a 3-6 month internship. Are they any good?

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.