Are CRAs with phase IV only experience employable?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

Katie s in Leeds, United Kingdom

42 months ago

Hi everyone

Im looking for some advice and I hope you can help me out.

I have 3 years experience as a CTA on phase II-III studies when I worked for a large CRO.

Recently I started in a new CRO as a CRA.
I have been working on phase IV studies. I have gained experience in 2 different therapeutic areas where I have done site initiations and close outs and worked with training sites on EDC. I have also been responsible for recruitment drive while acting as the main point of contact for client interactions.

My problem is that as Im working on phase IV studies, I have limited monitoring experience. Monitoring requirements are generally around 10% of sites. Plus there is no IP monitoring as there is no drug - its given to patients by prescriptions.

My question is- that with this experience, am I employable as a CRA for phase II & III studies in other companies?

I would really appreciate your advice on this...

Thanks
Katie

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Natalie in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

42 months ago

Right now would be a good time to make a jump to another company that can give you the experience. Doing drug accountability is essential. You are "employable" but you will probably need to make a switch early in your career to get those skills.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

42 months ago

Thanks Natalie

Do you think a year in this role would be too long?
Do you think employers would be reluctant to employ me as CRA due to minimal actual monitoring experience and no drug accountability?

Or do you think my initiations/close outs etc etc experience will be ok?

42 months ago

Hiring is picking up a lot. I am getting a call for jobs for experienced monitor positions from recruiters once a week, so at this point I don't think you will have any problem finding someone to hire you as long as you know the drug acct procedures and regs from your CTA experience and can talk about these issues with authority at an interview.

Employers care most about IMV experience (not so much SIV or COV). Because you are missing out, unless you are very happy with your current place of work, I would leave as soon as you hit 1 year. Maybe you could talk to your supervisor about getting switched onto a new study, but since you do have 1 year experience, you could probably increase your salary 10k if you go somewhere new.

We all have challenges that we have to prove we can overcome in interviews. It's good you have youridenrifiedand you have time to figure out how you will address them in a new CRA 2 role. You may get turned down a time or two, but it happens to all of us.

42 months ago

To add on, yes, I would go for CRA 2 jobs instead of CRA 1. Your 3 years as a CTA should really count towards something. I am guessing you had a lot of challenges in your career due to the economy and was not promoted as quickly as others did in the past. If you interview well, I think that you can certainly prove you have what it takes to be a CRA 2.

42 months ago

Thanks so much for your advice Natalie, I really appreciate it.

I think after 1 year I will try to move. There are not much opportunites where I am now so I might try move abroad and get some experience. Maybe do some travelling first.

And yes you guessed correctly- there were literally no job opportunities without having 2/3 years experience behind you (its still the same now). I was lucky landing the job im in now but unfortunately Im not getting all the experience I need...

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.