From CRC to CRA??

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (9)

Daisy Lee in San Gabriel, California

77 months ago

I'm an experienced phase I clinical research coordinator. I'm recently seeking opportunity to become a clinical research associates. However, I'm having a hard time. I can't even get an interview. The problem is they consider me as not meeting the minimum requirement, "1 year monitor experience". I worked closely with the monitor when I was a CRC. I have a good idea of what a CRA do. Plus since I worked in the sites, when I become a monitor, I know exactly where to look for mistakes. Shouldn't a few years clinical trials experience be equivalent to 1 year monitor experience?

Where can I find a CRO/pharmaceutical company that would accept an experienced CRC to be a CRA??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Angel Thompson in Toronto, Ontario

75 months ago

Hi Daisy,

I too having the same problem. I have experience as a CRC but landing a CRA seems hard since no monitoring experience. Someone please help. Where can you aquire this monitoring experience. As a CRC ... I have been monitored and I know what exactly to look for. further more, I have attended many workshops and courses on GCP and ICH.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

VC17 in Toronto, Ontario

74 months ago

Hi Angel,

I would like to get into the CR field. I don't mind starting in an entry level position as CRC. Do you think you can tell me where you work? I am currently job hunting but without any luck. I have a BSc. and I have worked as a Medical Lab Technologist. As for landing a CRA, do you need to get a certificate before applying to those jobs? You can get one from Michener (online) or McMaster (campus, night courses).

Thanks for your help,
Vanessa

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

DouBles in Lansdale, Pennsylvania

51 months ago

Hi Vanessa,

You are picking a great place to start out in clinical research. The first question is as Medical Technologist, do you have your Bachelors? CRCs and CRAs must have their bachelors.

Certificates are completely unnecessary in order to get your first job. What will make you the most marketable is a Bachelor's degree, two years as a CRC and once you get that experience, you can qualify to site for the CCRC certification through ACRP. Being a CCRC or CCRA is very marketable because it measures your experience in clinical research. Going to classes at a trade school isn't real world experience and isn't marketable.

What I see holding CRCs back from their promotion to CRA is a poorly written resume and failure to network. A CRO doesn't want to hire a good CRC, they want a CRA. A resume that emphasizes your translatable skills is necessary. Also, with 2-3 CRAs coming into your office every week, you have to use your connections! As a CRA, I am always willing to provide a good reference for my top-performing CRCs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

SP in Colonia, New Jersey

49 months ago

Hi, I am wondering how I can go about landing my first job in the clinical research field. Most places require experience and I have not heard from any places that I have applied due to the lack of experience. I have a BS and I am currently in an MS program of clinical trials in sciences and regulatory affairs. I am looking for an entry level position to help give me some experience to later on I can apply for a CRA job.

Thanks,
SP

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

FourT in Schiller Park, Illinois

49 months ago

SP, what type of jobs have you been applying for?

If you've been applying to postings for jobs that require experience, you shouldn't expect to hear back. You have to look fir entry level administrative and support positions that do not require experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

49 months ago

Four T,
Thanks for the advice. I have been looking at jobs with experience hoping I would land one but no luck. I have started looking for entry level jobs to get my foot in the door and obtain some valuable experience. However, still no luck with even entry level positions. I was wondering if I should sign up for RACs or SoCHA or any certificate that will help me land a job. I have read that certificates are preferred but nor required for many jobs. Do you know if getting a certificate or being a member of RACs or SoCHA will help me later on in my career? Thanks for your help.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

49 months ago

Abhishek,
Thanks for your advice. Nowadays, many companies require experience over degrees in this field. I am hoping to land a job in a small company in the near future to help me get some experience. I will look into nexus CRO and other CROs to provide me with training. Thanks for the suggestion.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sadua in Wilmington, North Carolina

49 months ago

SP in Colonia, New Jersey said: Four T,
Thanks for the advice. I have been looking at jobs with experience hoping I would land one but no luck. I have started looking for entry level jobs to get my foot in the door and obtain some valuable experience. However, still no luck with even entry level positions. I was wondering if I should sign up for RACs or SoCHA or any certificate that will help me land a job. I have read that certificates are preferred but nor required for many jobs. Do you know if getting a certificate or being a member of RACs or SoCHA will help me later on in my career? Thanks for your help.

SP,

I think you mean SoCRA, not SoCHA.

ACRP is the most respected professional organization in clinical research. They have something called the CKA test (or core knowledge assessment). I would recommend trying to take the CKA test. The CKA test is designed for those that have no experience and want to prove to potential employers they know the industry basics.

There are NO reputable organization that can 'certify' you without experience. ALL reputable certification require at least 2 years of experience.

Just being a member of a professional organization doesn't really do much for you. If you join one and take advantage of all the networking opportunities offered, that could be a big help, but you still have to do all the leg work yourself.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.