Career Change: Software Engineer to Clinical Data Analysis/Management

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

JF in Hillsborough, New Jersey

55 months ago

I'm considering making this change due to the number of opportunities at Pharmaceutical companies nearby and my distaste for the software industry, but I'm not sure how I would do it. Do I need CRA training/certification? I possess a BS. in Biology, with an additional year of CompSCI and 5 years experience in the software field.

Thanks in advance for any advice

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Robert in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

55 months ago

No, there is no reason for your to have CRA training. Of course, for your skill set, I do not recommend applying for CRA positions, but instead positions in data management. Your greatest asset is your technical skills in software and your BS in biology. You'll have to really re-work your resume to make it tailored to clinical research needs, but there is no reason why you won't be able to get started in the field.

If your resume answers these questions, you are golden: Have you worked with databases/EDC/EMR systems? How can you improve software to make data collection more seamless? Do you have a strong attention to detail? Do you have basic medical knowledge? How can you improve the accuracy of the data entry and validation systems?

New Jersey is a great spot for CROs and pharma companies. Look for positions in Pharma with 'Software Engineer,' 'Data Manager,' 'Database,' 'Systems Engineer,' etc.

JF in Hillsborough, New Jersey

55 months ago

Robert, Thanks! I appreciate all the advice. One thing I failed to mention is that my software experience is not very current - this will be the bane of my job hunt and I'll have to take a lower level position than Software Engineer/System Engineer. My lack of technical skills and current technologies would mean I have to retrain. This is why I'm wondering if there's more of an entry-level position for me (I can learn/advance quickly)... or if any training or certifications could help me sneak into the field. Any ideas?

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.