Interested in eventually becoming a clinical trials manager

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

K in London, Ontario

35 months ago

I'm hoping someone here can help me. I am trying to decide whether to move into clinical research. I have a PhD in kinesiology and am currently doing postdoctoral work in cellular/molecular biology. During my PhD, I ran several trials on people (using mostly exercise and/or medication). I have experience drafting ethics documents, recruiting subjects, running trials and delegating responsibilities during trials. I have also collected, analyzed and presented data. Between my MSc and PhD, I probably have roughly 3-4 years of experience with this kind of work. My problem is that all these trials were in a university lab, and I'm wondering if this kind of experience might transfer into a purely clinical setting at a hospital or company. I am fine with obtaining certification and accepting entry-level positions if need be, and my family is also willing to move. I'd just like to know what my chances are of even getting that entry-level job! BTW, I am currently trying to source out clinical research managers (my long-term goal) in my area to try and network and speak directly with the right people.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

K in London, Ontario

35 months ago

Sorry for the double post.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

James in Federal Way, Washington

35 months ago

You ran clinical trials on people...of course that would transfer.

I'm sure you could at least work as a clinical research coordinator at a university/CRO/pharm company. If you have any luck with contacts it seems like you could even get a CRA job.

Once you get those positions it takes several years of work (I would guess at least five) to get into management. Put all that stuff on your resume and see where it takes you.

P.S. - Just curious, why don't you want to work as a scientist in a lab and start making some $?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

K in London, Ontario

35 months ago

James in Federal Way, Washington said: You ran clinical trials on people...of course that would transfer.

I'm sure you could at least work as a clinical research coordinator at a university/CRO/pharm company. If you have any luck with contacts it seems like you could even get a CRA job.

Once you get those positions it takes several years of work (I would guess at least five) to get into management. Put all that stuff on your resume and see where it takes you.

P.S. - Just curious, why don't you want to work as a scientist in a lab and start making some $?

Thanks for your response, James. Since my original post, I've spoken to one contact who has given me a similar response to yours. In terms of working as a scientist in a lab - I haven't ruled that out but, after years of working with cells in a dish, I much prefer research with real people. Also, the life sciences sector where I currently live is very small, and so there are not many opportunities to work outside of a university setting here. I am willing to move, but would like to narrow down some job options first.

Thanks again for your response.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.